Caylee opening the sliding glass door photo

Even if it is Caylee and she has her hand on the door handle without a video of her actually opening the sliding glass door this only proves that she was able to reach the door handle. Also, how old was she suppose to be in the picture? Most young children expect doors to open in and out and unless she has had a lot of practice a 2 year old isn't going to be able to understand pulling a door sideways. Also, need to know what type of door it is. I have a sliding glass door that I can barely open-I know a child would never be able to pull it back. I do think she has her hand on the handle and it does look like she is trying to push the door sideways, however, opening a sliding glass door requires more coordination they pulling or pushing a door open. She may have been able to slide the door a little but her height and body positioning at the door is going to make it difficult for her to slide it away from her more than a few inches. She would then have to change her hand position and her body position to open it wide enough for her to go through unless this is a very light and easily to slide door. This takes some problem solving and motor coordination that most 2 year olds don't typically have. I'm not saying she couldn't have opened it but it would have required her to have repeatedly tried and practiced. I am assuming that Cindy and George at least would have gotten on her anytime they saw her trying to slide the door so I'm not sure when she would have had the opportunity to practice sliding the door. Also her arm and hand position would be more correct for a child trying to push a door open. All toddler's are going to try and open doors-it is something they do-but just because they can open a door. Having their hand on a door doesn't mean that they can open it enough to go out. I am sure many people have pictures of their 2 year old child standing at doors but that doesn't mean they were ever able to get the door open all the way. A child under 3 years is going to have a harder time. A 3 or 4 year old shouldn't have too much trouble with a sliding glass door but it depends on the door, how well it is mounted, greased, and how well it fits in the frame. That picture really tells us nothing.

I don't find it odd that if unlocked she could open the sliding door, when my oldest was 3 we lived in a house with a sliding door that had 2 large steps out into the garden. he could open it easily so i put a stair gate there for when it was a hot day and needed to be opened.
But i would keep it locked and keep the keys away from kids alot aswell.
Most parents learn what there kids can do as they grow and will change and adapt safety precosions as needed.
As to wheather the photo is real i don't see anything that makes it not real but thats just MO.

IMO, her body is perfectly counterbalanced by her foot and other arm to assist in opening the door. this is exactly how my kids did it. Anchored back foot and pulling in the opposite direction on the door jamb with the other hand, just as Caylee is doing in this picture.
She may or may not have been successful, but she was sure trying. If unsuccessful, I assume she would have tried another method, ie pushing the door on the edge and abandon the handle.

I agree, the picture really doesn't tell us much other than she can reach it..

However, when you say how many children know that doors slide instead of of going slide ways, that all depends on their house & the children. My kids knew both. We had 2 sliders, pocket sliders at that (I have since after Charlie hit gotten rid of one slider and installed French Doors). So they not only knew they slid, but that they went into each other too. Yes, at 2 & 3, they knew they slid & were able to do it. We also have the others that open the "standard" way as well. My kids had their play room in the enclosed lanai, therefore making them use the sliders often.. and again, many in my area do that.. so it all depends on where you live and what you teach your children.

I will say now that my house has gotten up in age, the one slider I have left, a child could not open that now.. it is not rolling very well. I think with age, they don't roll easy. When they are new, the tracks are clean and they slide extremely easy. Mine were so easy at one time, you could do it with 2 fingers...

Originally Posted by wishuwerehere [ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6762385#post6762385"]
viewpost.gif
[/ame]
Could this be a photo of Casey when she was a child?

I don´t think so - not with those shoes.

Couldn't she be just about to grab, or letting go of the handle?

Or possibly she is knocking on the window. The door looks slightly open maybe someone or the dogs are out there that she's trying to get their attention. I've seen my kids standing at our sliding door just like that tons of times. And I know that I also have similar pictures of them standing at that door looking out. I don't find anything unusual about the picture.

I think it is caylee, but many do not.
Discuss. :)
4111.jpg

I think it is too. I looked up the size of most sliding glass doors and found up to 80" and the handles are about 1/2 way down, which would put that at 40". Most 2.5-3 year olds are 35 to 42" according to most articles I read. So that would put her head at the handle and that's about right on the pic. She has looked slimmer in recent pics...thus the reason she once again fit in 24 month shorts. JMO

caylee2.jpg

Ok I tried to point out several problems with this picture. Look to where my lines are pointing. This looks like it could be a picture removed from another photo and pasted into this one. Where the left elbow should be are missing pixels, indicative of a bad cut and paste job. Notice the dark outlines on the legs. Also indicative of bad cut and paste. also the black out of place area on the bottom of the door between the 2 legs. I have pointed out the things I can see at this point.

JMO

Picture enlarged by me to see pixels better.

IMO, her body is perfectly counterbalanced by her foot and other arm to assist in opening the door. this is exactly how my kids did it. Anchored back foot and pulling in the opposite direction on the door jamb with the other hand, just as Caylee is doing in this picture.
She may or may not have been successful, but she was sure trying. If unsuccessful, I assume she would have tried another method, ie pushing the door on the edge and abandon the handle.

I kind of agree, but this would leave her to have to open that door,with just her arm, and no body strength.Of course ,who knows what happened after the pic was taken.
The change of furniture is interesting. Forgive me if this has been answered ad nauseum, but when is this picture believed to have taken place ?

I've got these door all over my home. They are very popular in homes with in ground pools. Mine are heavy and not that easy to open. It all depends how heavy the door and like mine, they have a spring like action to help close them if you don't open them in one pull.

From my experience, a small child doesn't have the arm strength to push it open in that akward of a position. The door handles are set high enough that they only open easily if you're an adult, 5 foot or more. Reaching up (as a child would have to do) to the handle makes it more difficult to open it.

But that's only a description of the doors on my home. jmo

I believe that it is Caylee and that she could reach the door. I will tell you why I think that coming from personal experience. My cousin doesn't have an upstairs in her house she only has a basement then the main floor above it. I was babysitting my then 2 year old cousin and his almost 1 year old brother. My cousin she will close their bedroom doors so that the kids won't go in there and it easier to keep an eye on them. I had brought our little cousin with me to help me with the kids. She was 7 years old at the time and was a big help to me. Especially because the 2 year old was at the point where he was all over the place and it was hard to keep up with him and the almost 1 year old at the same time. We had come back from a walk and I had turned for 2 seconds and noticed the 2 year old was gone. I started freaking out because the boys rooms were opened(I had gone in there to get them some clothes to put on for the walk) so I knew he was not in there. I then went outside to see if he had got out and wandered(he had wandered off before on his Mom) but he was no where in sight. I did not think to check the master bedroom because I didn't think he could open the door. HOWEVER the master bedroom door was closed so I thought I better check there just to see and sure enough he was in there and had closed the door. Kids do learn how to open doors at a young age so I totally believe Caylee could have figured that out.

Originally Posted by wishuwerehere
Could this be a photo of Casey when she was a child?

I don´t think so - not with those shoes.
Also an excellent observation. :crazy:

I kind of agree, but this would leave her to have to open that door,with just her arm, and no body strength.Of course ,who knows what happened after the pic was taken.
The change of furniture is interesting. Forgive me if this has been answered ad nauseum, but when is this picture believed to have taken place ?
It would have to have been taken months before she went missing(Maybe the year prior?), as she is smaller in that picture than she was at time of death. She is somewhere between 34 and 35 ish inches in that picture and autopsy says she was [ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6761835&postcount=1005"]between 36ish and 38ish[/ame] It must have been before a growth spurt,imo.

I really hope that LDB asks CA that if she had taken these pictures of Caylee opening the sliding door to the backyard where the pool was, and she knew that Caylee loved to go swimming so much, why didn't she and GA take safety precautions to make it where Caylee would not be able to open the door. Why spend the time and money to make a backyard with a pool, and a playhouse, and a sandbox that would entice any child and then not follow through with simple safety measures to insure that the child could not access them without an adult? To me, that defies logic. CA and GA were both so meticulous about the yard and the cars, yet they failed to secure the door that led to a swimming pool? That is something I have a problem with. JMO.

I pulled this into photoshop and zoomed the image, I have no doubt this is Caylee but the left arm is not the same as the legs and right arm. Taking note of the shoulder where a there is a pixilated area that has no definition, the hand on the handle also seems to be in a very awkward position. The hue and color saturation are different too. Perhaps its just a horrible picture.

I live in Orlando and had a pool put in 2003. Florida's building code requires that if you have a pool every door that is accessible to the pool be child proofed with an alarm. Most insurance companies in Florida require that for an above ground pool as well.

Is that a code that is specific to the Orlando municipality? Because Florida code requires isolation fencing and self closing with a self locking device (for inground pools). As I understand it, all that's required for above ground pools above a certain height is that the steps or ladder be removable. http://law.justia.com/codes/florida/2010/TitleXXXIII/chapter515/515_29.html

The Anthony's pool was not directly accessible from the house. It looks like you had to go out on their screened lanai and then into the backyard to access the pool.

Not sure about that, though.

ETA: I do believe the photo is Caylee but the aspect is off in some versions of it.

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3160450#post3160450"]Anthony Home And Floor Plans - Page 22 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆
Back