Deceased/Not Found NV - Patrick Carnes, 86, Wells, 13 Apr 2011

Listening to the Coast to Coast AM show again & posting details the guests shared.

Info from Humboldt County Nevada Under-Sheriff Curtiss Kull
- Patrick's vehicle (a Subaru) found April 14 off the I-80 Freeway (205/Pumpernickel Valley off-ramp near Winnemucca, NV), sitting in the sagebrush, appeared to have been dumped.
- Found in same location as another missing person's (Judith Casida) vehicle was found some time before. (Judith Casida still has not been located.)
- Does not look like anyone rifled through the items in Pat's vehicle.
- Vehicle is in good working order, no indication of car trouble.
- No evidence (fingerprints/fiber/etc) found in car.
- No activity on Patrick's accounts.
- No evidence that the trucker in the unidentified truck is guilty of anything. He may be the last person (before highway trooper) to see Pat alive & may have important information.
- Unidentified truck has side-mounted fuel tanks.
- Hotels/motels in Elko & Wells were checked but no clues or information found.

About Patrick F. Carnes
- Returning from a trip to Toledo, Ohio with his dog, Lucky
- In his 80's but still had his wits about him according to his son, Jim Carnes
- May have been walking with a limp
- Drove a truck for Conway many years ago & felt a connection with truckers
- Does NOT have a cell phone.
- Very unlikely to have picked up hitchhiker due to an incident involving his son (Ken) & a hitchhiker. Ken was robbed & shot by hitchhiker near Ely, NV.
- No credit cards to track. Paid cash for everything.
- Does not carry a firearm.
- Not a gambler. Does not drink alcohol.
- Stayed in a motel in Cheyenne, Wyoming during his trip.
- Son says highly unlikely Pat would visit a brothel. ("No sir, he would not. No Way.)

Traffic Stop Details
- On April 13, just before 9 pm, Patrick was pulled over, near Wells, NV, for not moving into far lane as he passed an officer in the process of a different traffic stop. (Law in NV, to prevent officers on the side of the road from being hit by traffic.)
- During audio of traffic stop Pat is recorded saying "I'm only following him because he's going to Elko."
- The "him" was the driver of a big rig truck that Pat said he was following. (truck is shown in photos I posted earlier in this thread)
- Trooper does not believe Pat exited at Wells, Nevada.

About Lucky
- Mixed breed (websites say Akita/mixed, Jim Carnes says Shepherd Mix)
- Large, about 100 lbs, somewhat overweight, described as a "coffee table with legs", about 22 inches tall
- Very friendly dog
- Chipped & licensed (not a GPS chip, chipped at pound where Pat adopted him)
- Animal Control in surrounding areas was contacted the day the vehicle was found & notified to be on the look-out for Lucky.

Caller Tips
(not all tips, only those with specific names)
- Three callers think it's a Star Leasing trailer.
- Could be a Swift logo
- Another caller thinks it's a Kriska logo
- Panther Trucking (Panther Expedite/Expediting) is also mentioned
- Old style Aurora Trailer Leasing logo?
- Another caller mentions Schillig Trucking as a potential match
- Star Transport mentioned twice as a possibility.
- Two callers think it looks like a Peterbilt.
- Pride Transportation out of Salt Lake City, Utah mentioned.

Ok, I think I caught all of the pertinent info (and some that's probably not)!

The Coast 2 Coast article reads that Pat was stopped by a police officer for a traffic violation at 9:00 p.m. I am confused here. The cam of the passing semi has the numbers 02:12 now is that the minutes the camera was running or was it the time of day?

Also I am wondering why an 86 year old man would be driving at that time of night. I know lots of people in that age range and they all tell me they don't like driving at night. So maybe that is why Pat was following the rig.

Also I think elderly people have to use the bathroom more than younger people so I am wondering was there a rest stop before he got pulled over by the policeman? Did Pat meet his perp at the rest stop? The Perp could be a local area resident. And that resident travels that stretch of road.

Also both Carnes and Casida's vehicles were found on or around the 14th day of the month. Maybe that is the day of birth of the perp. Both their last names start with a C. Their cars are left on the same exit ramp. These all may be clues to the prep.

I wonder if Judith Casida's social security number is in use? Or perhaps someone is using her name - it happened to a man in the south his I.D. was stolen and the IRS didn't find that perp for 10 years.

Welcome to WebSleuths sissy123.

I am moving this thread to the Missing Discussion forum for everyone! I will leave a redirect for a few days so that the thread is easy to find.

~Summer_Breeze

After taking a longer look at the chassis, I think it's possibly a rail or ocean container mounted on a chassis. This could possibly explain the globe (if it's a globe) in the logo on the left door, if it's a company that ships freight to or from Asia on ocean container ships. But the police video is such poor quality, I can't even tell if the walls are corrugated, which they would be on an ocean container.

I don't find Carnes' driving at night particularly unusual, especially for a former professional driver on such an extremely long trip. But that's a very good point about the possibility of frequent urination. My father is just 71 and when we went to San Antonio to the Final Four in 2008, we were having to pull over every so often and he was just 68, a whole generation younger than Mr. Carnes.

That Mr. Carnes had buddied up with a truck driver may indicate a preference to fuel/eat/urinate at truck stops, which is almost certainly where he would've met the driver of the unknown truck if he didn't have a CB.

Have not been here for a while, so here goes!
If you look closely at the truck, If I am wrong ok...The back looks like it is dirty...If you look closely it looks like someone wrote a (U) above the dark colored (5) and in that, It looks like a (S) Marked by hand angled a little mixed with the (5)..may be a F or T under that very faint..not sure.....What I found while looking at a truck site, a trucker Freight service called: They have US Freight companies and 5 service sights not sure though. I found that odd>
http://www.fca-natc.org/INFO/TRUCKING.HTM
Also "The Rennie Fox case" Of Utah, her car was found in an odd area near a cave mine area and along 395 highway.. she had cards with odd lettering just like that sent to her family. Look closely at the back of the truck..Don't know if that will help, but what can anyone loose by not at least giving that a thought?

Note:
I still believe our truckers are our every day heroes, as they do the work to keep us all well and fed and bring the things we need to survive!I Thank them with deep gratitude!

Does anyone know if the actual conversation between Mr. Carnes and the highway patrol officer is available to listen to?

The one part that doesn't seem to fit is, according to the Coast to Coast program, Mr. Carnes said to the officer, "I'm following him".

Considering that the truck driver would have been long gone by the time Mr. Carnes was able to pull over, using the noun 'him' doesn't seem to fit. If the trucker was out of their range of vision, Mr. Carnes would more likely have said, "I was following someone" or "I was following a truck driver".

Just finished listening to George Knapp's C2C show on Pat Carnes (through streamlink so I'm a few days late) and wow MLE I must say you summarized it perfectly! Thank you for doing that. :)

Have you guys send George or the police your thoughts?

Elderly Man Missing; Family "Anguished"

Relatives of an elderly Reno man is pleading for help in finding him.

For almost three months, authorities have worked to located Patrick Carnes, 86, who vanished while en route home from Ohio. His green Subaru was found abandoned 20 miles east of Winnemucca at the Pumpernickel exit.

It's unclear what may have happened to Carnes.

More: http://www.mynews4.com/story.php?id=46257&n=122

Does anyone know if the actual conversation between Mr. Carnes and the highway patrol officer is available to listen to?
Here's an article with the video of LE pulling him over. ( link )

http://www.8newsnow.com/story/15042...l-killer-hunting-motorists-in-northern-nevada

I-Team: Is a Serial Killer Hunting Motorists in Northern Nevada?

Posted: Jul 07, 2011 8:28 AM Updated: Jul 07, 2011 4:40 PM

By George Knapp, Chief Investigative Reporter
By Matt Adams, Chief Photojournalist

(Video at link as well as article)

Note: this is a lengthy article by usual missing persons standards IMHO

Below are links embedded within the text of the article:

http://www.8newsnow.com/story/13992...icides-and-unidentified-missing-persons-cases
Unsolved Homicides and Missing Persons Project

http://www.nampn.org/cases/casida_judy.html
Judy Casida missing

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/51817520-78/bushling-dugway-vehicle-kevin.html.csp
Joseph Bushling (Armed forces missing member and I will post the first link to his thread as well)

http://sohumawareness.org/2011/05/06/robert-firestone-still-missing/
Robert Firestone

http://www.fbi.gov/news/stories/2009/april/highwayserial_040609
Task force for Highway serial killings. This link also has a map that I've seen posted to another thread here on WS.

http://www.8newsnow.com/story/15042...l-killer-hunting-motorists-in-northern-nevada

I-Team: Is a Serial Killer Hunting Motorists in Northern Nevada?

Posted: Jul 07, 2011 8:28 AM Updated: Jul 07, 2011 4:40 PM

By George Knapp, Chief Investigative Reporter
By Matt Adams, Chief Photojournalist

(snip)
http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/51817520-78/bushling-dugway-vehicle-kevin.html.csp.

I think that article is stretching for connections. We know that Dugway isn't part of Northern Nevada.

Bushling's vehicle was found more than 100 miles from I-80. The roads Bushling would have travelled on, after leaving Dugway's main gate, were dirt roads. Not many long-haul truckers out there. None, actually. Not on that particular route.

Even IF Bushling had driven up to I-80 from Dugway, why would the "mysterious Nevada I-80 serial killer" take the car back to Dugway and then 64 more miles out into the desert?

It's articles like that, that make me :banghead:

One thing that puzzles me is that the officer pulled over another truck when the unidentified truck and Pat Carnes passed by. If there were no other trucks on the road, wouldn't the truck that the officer pulled over be able to identify the other truck? Perhaps he even talked to the other truck on CB? I wonder if the officer has contacted the driver of the truck he pulled over. Any chance that LE is involved in this?

Several times I replayed the original video of the dashcam of the patrol officer that stopped Patrick Carnes.

With this video I compared the photo of the truck that has been posted a few times on this website (on page one) and various other places on the internet. It was a press release photo issued by law enforcement.

The trailer on the video snapshot (the still photo) which was released to the public, there are 2 wheels on the right rear axle of the trailer.

However if I pause the actual video in the same place / time there are 3 rear axle wheels.

The trailer is not the same trailer in the picture as it is in the dashcam video.

I recently returned home from a road trip that went across I-80. We stopped at a rest stop in Nevada where I saw a missing poster for Patrick Carnes. I hadn't heard of this case so when I got back to our vehicle I scribbled his name down so I could look him up later on WS. The flyer talked about a reward being offered now. What a baffling and scary story! I really feel for the family of Patrick.

After reading through the thread here I find it VERY interesting that another missing persons vehicle was found at the same exit and location. That is pretty odd and too weird to me to be just a coinky-dink.

Patrick Carnes I hope you are found soon! Praying for your return!

Kull is certain that whoever was driving that truck knows what happened to Pat Carnes, and might even be responsible

Wow, this officer that is quoted in the article is unreal. I hope my rig is never caught on video and it is splashed all over the internet that I am possibly involved or I know what happened. Does he have any idea how many cars do the most ridiculous things while out on the road. Cars hit the shoulder, make u turns, slam on their brakes for ramps. etc. We do not have eyes out our azz, we really do not know everything that goes on. OK, sorry rant over.

I don't know if the trucker is involved but if we look at the circumstances,

Mr. Carnes is pulled over the truck keeps going. Chances that the car caught up to the truck again on the highway are slim.

He is last seen at the Flying J in Wells. Could have met up with him there but he was going to Elko and there are an awful lot of transient type people at truckstops.

He is 86 and has just driven at least 1,800 miles ( left Toledo on the 12th was in wells on the 13) That is a lot of driving. Not surprised he was tired.

He very well could have let his guard down at the truck stops. I have seen transients pose as truckers just so they do not get thrown off the property.

Also wanted to say this is posted on many truck sites and if any can recognize the truck they will help.

I am going to do more reading on this because something is nagging me about this, yet I am not sure what. jmo

Several times I replayed the original video of the dashcam of the patrol officer that stopped Patrick Carnes.

With this video I compared the photo of the truck that has been posted a few times on this website (on page one) and various other places on the internet. It was a press release photo issued by law enforcement.

The trailer on the video snapshot (the still photo) which was released to the public, there are 2 wheels on the right rear axle of the trailer.

However if I pause the actual video in the same place / time there are 3 rear axle wheels.

The trailer is not the same trailer in the picture as it is in the dashcam video.

I am not seeing that. I see two axles.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbks
Back