2011.07.07 Sentencing Hearing Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
So based on his disney comment does the Judge realizes this jury is money-minded?

Attorney from St Pete Times now speaking about 1st amendment rights..

CFNews13Casey Casey Anthony News13
Another lawyer say Having justice served by unknown people is not democratic. #CaseyAnthony

I think this is an interesting hearing, AND it is just so nice to listen to a hearing on this case without having to hear Jose Baez whine.

JMO

He should release the names, everybody else involved with this case and trial has had their name in the media, the jurors should be no different.

Lawyer argues that jurors should be held accountable...Judge perry asks, "how will they be held accountable"?

good question...

According to some crazy people out there, by "fileting them, pouring salt on them, and feeding their legs to the piranha".

I trust HHJP to make the right decision in the best interests of both the jurors and the public.

HHJBP: The main difference between the jurors and myself is I chose to do what I do. They had no choice and that's what I am struggling with - how to square the right of privacy. I agree with what you have said. I'm not necessarily concerned about the fine organizations that you three attorneys represent; I'm concerned about people who are not so honorable.

Unfortunately, we have not done a good job about updating what is a journalist. I am concerned about the individual who might want to filet someone. The cooling off period needs to be --- I doubt you would have had this uproar if the decision was different.

You are saying you think 7 days for the cooling off period?

St. Pete Times Lawyer (Allison Steele): Case law (Globe) involving the names of jurors after a high profile crime. There is a first amendment issue here.

The jurors can refuse to talk. Their fears of personal security must be balanced with the public's right to transparency.

I believe the Court must make specific findings of specific instances in order to seal the jurors names. A judge's general belief is not sufficient.

What about ICA too? Should she be protected she was found not guilty. People hate her more than the jury. So release the names in about 90 days or so.

It is not a good thing. As much as I disagree and am stunned and deeply disappointed with the verdict, I would NEVER want the jurors or their families to be in any kind of danger AT ALL because of their verdict.

Beyond just the mere fact that people should not be harming others, it would be highly damaging to the system if people become afraid to sit on juries or afraid to give unpopular verdicts. Like in some countries where judges are killed, so the justice system totally breaks down. WE DO NOT WANT THAT.

But what about the witnesses subpoenaed? They had no choice but to have their mugs all over TV during their testimonies. Heck, Cindy even admitted on the stand that her cell number was still the same and testified to her number in open/televised court (I think on purpose, but that's another issue).

I certainly do not want the jurors in danger though or to get "filleted."

Oh buggers, the court didn't know how the verdict would be received.

I agree with the media lawyer. The public, especially the community has the need (and right, imo) to ask the jurors why/how.

So ABC paid Baez for the Caylee photos and then sent a juror to Disneyworld? sitting on hands.

Boookers! Got a pass to get into the courtroom!

Well......how did THEY find out who they were??????????????/ Who leaked it? Maybe the juror's family???????????

Hate to tell everyone, Judges are killed because of verdicts, witnesses are killed because of verdicts, jurors are killed because of verdicts. And not because of media, just local cases here in the U.S. Things need to change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member