GUILTY IL - Benjamin Kingan, 16 mos, dies of head injury, Lincolnshire, 14 Jan 2009

Another link with more details:
http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=282747

Yes, this case is near me.

I know mug shots aren't the most flattering but..........DANG!:eek:

It's also sad to think that IF the required 'other employee' had been in the room, this beautiful and much loved boy would still be with his family.

I'm shocked that any of her centers still have children attending. Seriously, Melissa could have grabbed ANY of them and slammed them on the floor, Benjamin was in the wrong place, at the wrong time, figuritively and literally. So very sad.

I know mug shots aren't the most flattering but..........DANG!:eek:

It's also sad to think that IF the required 'other employee' had been in the room, this beautiful and much loved boy would still be with his family.

I'm shocked that any of her centers still have children attending. Seriously, Melissa could have grabbed ANY of them and slammed them on the floor, Benjamin was in the wrong place, at the wrong time, figuritively and literally. So very sad.

I do have hope that we're going to get a Benjamin's law out of this...cameras in daycare centers.

The level of corruption is outstanding in this case, especially if you believe any of the locals commenting on the Daily Herald story...Alleged former workers since the 80s claimed that the centers played games to have enough workers for inspections....and that surprise DCFS visits weren't really surprises. If it was commonplace to leave an entry level young aide with a roomful of toddlers, it was only a matter of time before something bad happened. I'm sure doggy daycare is better staffed.

This crime has made me so angry and so sad. I have worked in Mother's Day out programs and there must be a proper number of adults to safely supervise the children.I am surprised anyone still takes their child to this service.

Melissa Calusinski took three horrific actions -- she threw this baby to the floor, she ignored him when he was hurt, and she lied about his injury. If she had immediately called for help after her first action, could little Ben been saved? The adults in this service certainly did not put the care of these children as their first and foremost concern. I wouldn't give her bond. I am sure she is sorry but is it for little Ben or for herself?

This crime has made me so angry and so sad. I have worked in Mother's Day out programs and there must be a proper number of adults to safely supervise the children.I am surprised anyone still takes their child to this service.

Melissa Calusinski took three horrific actions -- she threw this baby to the floor, she ignored him when he was hurt, and she lied about his injury. If she had immediately called for help after her first action, could little Ben been saved? The adults in this service certainly did not put the care of these children as their first and foremost concern. I wouldn't give her bond. I am sure she is sorry but is it for little Ben or for herself?

This question has been on my mind from the beginning. :mad:

I do have hope that we're going to get a Benjamin's law out of this...cameras in daycare centers.

The level of corruption is outstanding in this case, especially if you believe any of the locals commenting on the Daily Herald story...Alleged former workers since the 80s claimed that the centers played games to have enough workers for inspections....and that surprise DCFS visits weren't really surprises. If it was commonplace to leave an entry level young aide with a roomful of toddlers, it was only a matter of time before something bad happened. I'm sure doggy daycare is better staffed.

That's the best idea for a law, that I have ever heard! Is there a petition somewhere to sign?

My son, who just turned 4 on Friday, has been attending a church run MDO since he was 2. They have cameras in every room.

They said the degree of his injury was akin to a fall from a 1-2 story building, so I'd say no, it was not survivable.

They said the degree of his injury was akin to a fall from a 1-2 story building, so I'd say no, it was not survivable.

You are undoubtedly correct. I had a friend whose nephew suffered a terrible skull fracture as a baby, and he survived, but he had immediate help. The fact Calusinski could slam this child so hard it would hurt him this bad is quite terrifying, but that she ignored him as he crawled away and lied about his injuries is quite unforgivable. Her act of irrational rage was compounded by her selfish self protection.

I agree we need cameras in any service that is responsible for the care of children. Considering how the director lied as well, I suppose cameras would prevent that kind of behavior since the truth would be in the video.

I agree we need cameras in any service that is responsible for the care of children. Considering how the director lied as well, I suppose cameras would prevent that kind of behavior since the truth would be in the video.

It would also tell parents about the exact degree of care their child was receiving...One of my friends noticed particular children at her child's daycare being singled out for harsh treatment and reported it...Management fired the worker, but my friend has no idea if the children's parents were notified. There's so much emphasis on privacy in the school environment (even at the daycare level) that it is difficult for parents to communicate with each other.

It would also tell parents about the exact degree of care their child was receiving...One of my friends noticed particular children at her child's daycare being singled out for harsh treatment and reported it...Management fired the worker, but my friend has no idea if the children's parents were notified. There's so much emphasis on privacy in the school environment (even at the daycare level) that it is difficult for parents to communicate with each other.

Kudos to your friend for taking up the cause of other children. Sadly, that sense of privacy often makes many adults stay silent for fear of being accused of being meddlers. It is so important we care for all children not just our own -- a compassionate pay it forward. Your friend is to be commended.

http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=363873&src=3

""Never let your guard down," said Kingan, the mother of a toddler who authorities said was killed by an employee at a Lincolnshire day-care center.
Kingan and her husband, Andrew, will receive a $2 million settlement from the now closed Minee-Subee in the Park. The settlement came before a lawsuit was filed in what was termed a wrongful-death case."

did the owner or the girl get any jail time?? not seeing a story on thaT

The thought of that poor little baby grabbing his blankie and pacifier to comfort him as he died... It just breaks the heart. I'm cuddling my little one and quietly crying right now. My lord - the things people do to kids!

Vinelink lists Melissa Calusinski as still in the Lake County Jail. Interestingly, she is not listed under offenders with court cases. So, I'm wondering if she got some piddly local jail sentence. Will try to find out more.

June 18, 2010 11:06 AM | No Comments
The lawyer for a former day-care center worker charged in the death of a toddler in her care wants to see medical records from the boy's high-risk birth.

Melissa Calusinski has been held in Lake County Jail awaiting trial on first-degree murder charges since January 2009, when 16-month-old Benjamin Kingan died after authorities said Calusinski slammed the boy to the floor at Minee Subee day-care center in Lincolnshire.

Her lawyer, Paul DeLuca, was granted permission today to subpoena medical records of the birth of Benjamin and his twin sister to determine if other medical complications could have contributed to his death. The judge is expected to rule next month on whether the defense can see the content of those records.

Calusinski, a Carpentersville woman who was 22 at the time of her arrest, is being held in lieu of a $5 million bond. The day-care center was shut down by state authorities and its owner, Judith Katz of Arlington Heights, is charged with obstructing the investigation into the boy's death.

http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2010/06/medical-records-sought-of-toddler-killed-at-day-care.html

So, she is still being held pre-trial.

This is disgusting and terribly sad. Too many cases of killed children I'm reading lately.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back