2011.07.11 Greta Van Sustern interview with Jury Foreperson

Status
Not open for further replies.
The person who complained of the bad odor in the car to her current BFF - also blamed the odor on dead squirrels that originated from her father using the car!!

As a juror, I would have forced this jury into one of two options:

[1]--- Declare ICA guilty of Charge Three (if the pool accident was true). Or,
[2]--- Declare ICA guilty of Charge One or Two (if the pool accident was false).

[1]--- If the pool accident was true, ICA was guilty of Charge Three for her response to it (no call to 911 to possibly save Caylee). Not to mention ICA's possible negligence resulting in Caylee being alone in the pool death trap.

[2]--- If the pool accident was false, ICA was obviously covering up her own felony act toward Caylee. ICA would have no reason to tell a false accident story at trial, just to cover up a true accident.

IMO the jury had no logical way out of these two above options. No logic makes ICA innocent of all three Charges.

To the jury I would say, "On the pool accident claim, don't just 'punt the ball' or 'kick the can down the road.' Either the pool theory is true or false. Make up your mind, then rule accordingly. :dj: :dj: :dj:

Susan Smith - convicted murderer
Diane Downs - convicted murderer
China Arnold - convicted murderer
Patricia Blackmon - convicted murderer
Susan Eubanks - convicted murderer
Stacey Barker - convicted murderer
Casey Anthony - acquitted murderer

The list could go on and on....
Don't forget Darlie Routier.
The comment by mr. mystery juror made me ill. Young and dumb....had to be what the DT wanted on the jury.

They think it's good to not take notes and deliberate one day in a murder trial?

They think circumstantial evidence (bad behavior) presented in court as part of the case is not supposed to be considered?

They think if KC had been convicted of manslaughter that she would get the DP?

They think because the foreman can "read people" it's ok to accuse GA and completely ignore everything KC did? Was GA on trial?

They think GA was at home when he was at work?

They think because a couple of LE did not smell the car that means they should discount the tow yard guy, GA, CA, LA, cadaver dogs,Dr Vass, hair banding, coffin fly and CA's "It smells like there's been a dead body in the damn car." Oh yeah and KC, herself, texted Amy about the smell.

Every time JF speaks she changes her story.

I could go on and on.

And do they think that if there was a pool accident that GA or anyone else for that matter would not call 911, as Dr. G said that in 100% of the time people make that call.

runaway jury is an awesome book (and movie). I want juror #11 investigated! I am hoping someone is paying attention to all of his comments.

Too bad it will never happen.
I would love to know about this guys finances.

The State, took air samples from a confirmed cleaned/aired out car, and said, hey this proves she killed her child with chloroform, and the state ignored the FBI's analysis that said the levels were consistent with cleaning products, and we know the car was clean. I am glad I live in this GREAT country where all I stated above is not enough to KILL someone.

I respect your opinion, but here's what puzzles me about the defense pool theory:

IIRC, the pool theory assumes GA left for work very soon after Caylee's accidental drowning.

But by doing that GA knowingly subjected Caylee's body to an appalling desecration, even though he typically buried his pets with decorum and decency.

IMO GA would have no motive for allowing such an abhorrent treatment of his own toddler granddaughter's body.

:beamup: :beamup: :beamup:

Ok, I have thought about this for a few days, but now I am just gonna say it...I pick up a "vibe" from the jury foreman that makes me feel uneasy. I don't know what it is exactly, I do think it has something to do with his "know it all" attitude. He may be a control freak, but there is something about him, without any proof of anything, that doesn't sit right with me.

I agree. He also could be that type of personality that might be very good in persuading other folks, kind of like a super salesman. That said, I do think it is little bit unfair to paint all the jurors with the same brush. We have not heard from the majority of them and probably never will. Peer pressure surely must be fierce during deliberation.

The comments that I have heard from the jury seem only to reflect that they did not understand the jury instructions and the case that was presented. It is as though because there was no smoking gun, no video of the crime, and a couple of witnesses that they did not think presented well... they went with the speculation proffered by the defense. I guess I do not think these sorts of reasons are valid and it does not seem that any have offered a cogent, thorough, legally sound and logical explanation for the decision they reached. Perhaps there is one - and if so, then fair enough.

I understand that the burdon of proof is on the prosecution - but IMO there was more than enough evidence to convict of at least one of the lesser charges.

I wonder if part of the problem is that the jurors had a limited world view. And I do not mean that as an insult truly. For example, for the juror to say that wanting to be free of the responsibility of caring for a child as a motive for murder (which he conceded was not required but nonetheless apparently considered in their verdict) ) "that a mother would want to do something like that to her child just so that she can go out and party" shows a lack of experience in the world. It seems like this did not compute for him and yet in my experience, this is a common issue for young single mothers especially who do not have supports in their lives. They want to go out and party - thats what young people do - it is normal! But sometimes, in their need to be a young person they make poor decisons - like leaving infants home alone, or leaving them in their cars, or leaving them with a stranger who turns out to be a molester... This is what child protection cases are very often about!

If your world view is limited - then perhaps what seems so obvious to some of us - is just not in the realm of possbility for others... but shouldn't we then make sure that Jury's have the capacity - the education, experience etc to be qualified to sit in judgement. Yup - that would probably limit the jury pool - but people who judge figure skating, referees who judge football games, critics who judge movies or restaurants - all have to be qualified... shouldn't we have the same for our judicial system. Or at least, could there not be a neutral arbitatror to moniter the deleiberations to ensure that they are done in a manner consitent with the law? An arbitrator who can help the jury get the info they need to ensure they make informed, thoughtful decisions - regardless if we agree or disagree with the outcome.

Sorry for the rant, - I guess I do not know what the solution is, but there have been too many cases that really make you shake your head. Sometimes clinging to tenents that are cherished and enshrined is the easy, short sighted answer - - "we have the best judicial system in the world and this is the price we have to pay for our freedom!"
Lets at least challenge our thinking now and again. Surely a system of justice that has been around for 200 plus years could use a little tweaking?

If the jury did not think that the state showed Casey killed Caylee, then the lesser charges they had to choose from would not apply.

If there was a charge of negligence, she probably would have been charged with that, and improper disposal of a body.

I also don't think it is fair to assume or allege wrong-doing on the part of the jury, JMO. I don't like some of the comments those who are speaking out have made, but this jury was being called "stupid" and worse before anyone spoke out. Also I remember that one person had asked about permission to use a computer to do some work and was told it would be arranged. JMO

The State, took air samples from a confirmed cleaned/aired out car, and said, hey this proves she killed her child with chloroform, and the state ignored the FBI's analysis that said the levels were consistent with cleaning products, and we know the car was clean. I am glad I live in this GREAT country where all I stated above is not enough to KILL someone.

IIRC the FBI samples were the carpet not the air. I suppose on this theory the duct tape was for sanitary purposes also. According to the jury, not enough to convict her on child abuse or manslaughter either - let alone murder! Scary where our "GREAT" country is heading without a lick of common sense!

This jury didn't hear the trial I heard, didn't pay attention to the experts that I saw, gave CA who perjured herself on the stand, points for grieving and disliked GA (who btw was also grieving and accused of placing his peni$ in his daughter's mouth, by her "professional" attorney - Jose "sustained" Baez!) but #11 seemed to like FCA just fine!

Where was this jury when FCA denied the drowning theory, said everyone's only interested in finding Caylee, called the phone call a huge waste and cursed out her family? Let alone telling GA what a great father and grandfather he was? Was this all presented during a "special" break or maybe while they were noshing on catered treats? Talk about a huge waste...

As a juror, I would have forced this jury into one of two options:

[1]--- Declare ICA guilty of Charge Three (if the pool accident was true). Or,
[2]--- Declare ICA guilty of Charge One or Two (if the pool accident was false).

[1]--- If the pool accident was true, ICA was guilty of Charge Three for her response to it (no call to 911 to possibly save Caylee). Not to mention ICA's possible negligence resulting in Caylee being alone in the pool death trap.

[2]--- If the pool accident was false, ICA was obviously covering up her own felony act toward Caylee. ICA would have no reason to tell a false accident story at trial, just to cover up a true accident.

IMO the jury had no logical way out of these two above options. No logic makes ICA innocent of all three Charges.

To the jury I would say, "On the pool accident claim, don't just 'punt the ball' or 'kick the can down the road.' Either the pool theory is true or false. Make up your mind, then rule accordingly. :dj: :dj: :dj:

There is no pool theory, there is only a pool lie - JB himself said 'We don't know how Caylee died' in closing. Too bad he didn't say something similar during the opening...

I am finally unable to restrain myself from posting. I predicted that Casey would get away with murder simply because I deal in litigation everyday and am far too familiar with pre-trial motions and how they can effect the outcome. I am also painfully aware of the fact that cases can be won or lost on presentation of the evidence...Not THEE evidence. The unbelievably difficult situation that Casey's family was in to save their daughter's life...yada, yada. All one has to do to remind one's self of "perfect storms" is to read Vincent Bugliosi's masterpiece on the 5 reasons O.J. got away with murder. Despite all of this....

Blink

Blink Blink

This is all I can do when I listen to the jury foreperson. Otherwise I might throw something through my flat screen, or explode everything within a 10 mile radius of my imploding brain cells. I try to remember that I have read every text message, every email, every statement, every deposition transcript, watched every recording...so that I can understand and excuse the jury for the verdict.

Yet I can only sum it up in the ever *cough cough* eloquent quote of the foreperson while speaking with Greta:

"There is a sense of disgust, by all means"

Yup Mr. Educated yet Not Mr. Intelligent...that pretty much sums up how I feel, and what I think, about you.

IIRC the FBI samples were the carpet not the air. I suppose on this theory the duct tape was for sanitary purposes also. According to the jury, not enough to convict her on child abuse or manslaughter either - let alone murder! Scary where our "GREAT" country is heading without a lick of common sense!

This jury didn't hear the trial I heard, didn't pay attention to the experts that I saw, gave CA who perjured herself on the stand, points for grieving and disliked GA (who btw was also grieving and accused of placing his peni$ in his daughter's mouth, by her "professional" attorney - Jose "sustained" Baez!) but #11 seemed to like FCA just fine!

Where was this jury when FCA denied the drowning theory, said everyone's only interested in finding Caylee, called the phone call a huge waste and cursed out her family? Let alone telling GA what a great father and grandfather he was? Was this all presented during a "special" break or maybe while they were noshing on catered treats? Talk about a huge waste...

Great post....couldn't have said it better myself

I am finally unable to restrain myself from posting. I predicted that Casey would get away with murder simply because I deal in litigation everyday and am far too familiar with pre-trial motions and how they can effect the outcome. I am also painfully aware of the fact that cases can be won or lost on presentation of the evidence...Not THEE evidence. The unbelievably difficult situation that Casey's family was in to save their daughter's life...yada, yada. All one has to do to remind one's self of "perfect storms" is to read Vincent Bugliosi's masterpiece on the 5 reasons O.J. got away with murder. Despite all of this....

Blink

Blink Blink

This is all I can do when I listen to the jury foreperson. Otherwise I might throw something through my flat screen, or explode everything within a 10 mile radius of my imploding brain cells. I try to remember that I have read every text message, every email, every statement, every deposition transcript, watched every recording...so that I can understand and excuse the jury for the verdict.

Yet I can only sum it up in the ever *cough cough* eloquent quote of the foreperson while speaking with Greta:

"There is a sense of disgust, by all means"

Yup Mr. Educated yet Not Mr. Intelligent...that pretty much sums up how I feel, and what I think, about you.

Welcome to WS..........:woohoo:
May I say what a terrific post.

When the jurors and or the alternate jurors speak about:
liking Baez's debating and questioning style,
or they speak about thinking CA is a cute, normal 22 year old who wanted to have fun at the clubs,
or the jurors just wanting a COD like some episode of CSI, it sends a message to me that's loud and clear---
those jurors were not the smartest 12 in the county. imoo

Susan Smith - convicted murderer
Diane Downs - convicted murderer
China Arnold - convicted murderer
Patricia Blackmon - convicted murderer
Susan Eubanks - convicted murderer
Stacey Barker - convicted murderer
Casey Anthony - acquitted murderer

The list could go on and on....

Thank you.

There is no pool theory, there is only a pool lie - JB himself said 'We don't know how Caylee died' in closing. Too bad he didn't say something similar during the opening...

A great way to put it......
"There was NO pool theory, only a pool lie!"

I just watched a very interesting news show on Dateline about the Venus Stewart murder.
Her estranged husband was convicted WITHOUT A BODY in a largely circumstantial case. Took them all of 3 hours.

[ame="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/43769804#43769804"]http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/43769804#43769804[/ame]

A great way to put it......
"There was NO pool theory, only a pool lie!"
ANYONE would have called 911 to report a pool accident ... FCA certainly knew how to call 911 when she was out on bail and her parents were being threatened outside of her home.

Kelian,

I was so pre-occupied with so many things that I didn't even realize the trial was underway. It wasn't until one of my staff had asked another one of my staff about the case, who responded that she should ask me because I knew everything about it. I chastised them this week for getting me sucked back into this nightmare that I abandoned when I became a grandmother a few years ago.

I ended up viewing most of the trial on YouTube (Thank you 1947Sierra), and then watched the closings and verdict live.

I'm not going to lie. I thought that Baez was more powerful in that he brought passion and charisma that the State did not possess. I immediately feared that the jury would be "enchanted" by him. Likewise, it is always very uncomfortable to watch a witness who has been counseled that certain testimony can not be spoken. It gives the impression that the testimony is not candid, fluid, and forthright. There were so many issues that could not be talked about that several witnesses appeared (to non-professionals) to be calculated in their testimony vs. natural and credible. I also thought the prosecution missed some great opportunities to ask some quesions on cross that would have vaporized a defense witness. Perhaps, attorneys should now use Twitter feeds and walk back to the table to check for genius public questions that an attorney can ask before they excuse the witness.
But, as my UserName implies, I do believe in the law of karma. So, I will continue to focus my energy on preventing kids from growing up into adults who can destroy people and...even a planet. ::::heavy sigh:::::

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member