GUILTY OK - Bobbi Parker charged in prison escape of Randolph Dial, Granite, 1994

I found a new article which mentions Bobbi's escape attempts--something I had not heard before--and quotes an authority on Stockholm Syndrome on the criteria that needs to be met in order to decide if that's what kept Bobbi with Dial all these years. The article, which is dated today, mentions that while the investigation continues, nothing is being discovered that would dispute Bobbi's explanation. Thank God!!

"We're conducting an investigation to look into the kidnapping and the escape," said Jack Dailey, a spokesman for the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation.

He also said there continues to be no indication Bobbi Parker committed any crimes.

"We've not found anything that would refute her status as a captive throughout the whole thing," he said.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/04/09/national/main686986.shtml

comments from the authority expert in the article--
... if she went through the stages of shock, terror and regression that are seen in sudden captures, and if she developed the ironic and profound positive feelings [for her captor] spontaneously and without conscious control."

On the other hand, he said: " ... if... she made a calculated choice to stay with her assailant (or to leave with him in the first place), perhaps out of fear of harm to her family, perhaps out of preference for a different life, then the syndrome would not apply."

doesn't sound to me like syndrome applies to her, do you think?

peggy said:
comments from the authority expert in the article--
... if she went through the stages of shock, terror and regression that are seen in sudden captures, and if she developed the ironic and profound positive feelings [for her captor] spontaneously and without conscious control."

On the other hand, he said: " ... if... she made a calculated choice to stay with her assailant (or to leave with him in the first place), perhaps out of fear of harm to her family, perhaps out of preference for a different life, then the syndrome would not apply."

doesn't sound to me like syndrome applies to her, do you think?

No. It sounds to me as though she made a calculated choice to stay, to protect her children. I hope her story continues to hold up, for the sake of those children.

Jeni24 said:
How many of you have researched the Stanford Prison Experiment? It's not off-topic, I promise.

Here's the link: www.prisonexp.org/

I just went and read about it, Jeni, and I think I can see where you are going, but I'll let you explain your point. The study was very interesting; thank you for posting the link. I hope more people will go and read it....there are many studies which show how easy it is to break a person down and change the way they would normally react, like the brown eyes, blue eyes experiment. And of course the psychological impact to Bobbi would have been devastating. I don't think any of us would disagree with that. Would you like to "fluff out" the point you're making?

kgeaux said:
No. It sounds to me as though she made a calculated choice to stay, to protect her children. I hope her story continues to hold up, for the sake of those children.

But, he said if she made such a calculated risk, the syndrome would not apply - so for syndrome to apply, her actions would not be conscious (brainwashing). (just reading what the expert said in your link) - maybe you interpreted it differently.

peggy said:
But, he said if she made such a calculated risk, the syndrome would not apply - so for syndrome to apply, her actions would not be conscious (brainwashing). (just reading what the expert said in your link) - maybe you interpreted it differently.

Strange, I replied a minute ago and the reply isn't showing up. You are correct, I must have worded my previous reply incorrectly because I was trying to agree with you! I do not believe Bobbi had Stockholm Syndrome based upon the criteria which were mentioned by the expert...... in my opinion, she maintained a calculated control in her decision not to return home, either because she feared her children would be hurt or for some other reason.

I can't say that this new twist leaves me less confused or questioning about those 10 years, but it's interesting.

New Twist In Case Of Warden's Wife
April 18, 2005
(CBS/AP) The case of the warden's wife who lived with fugitive killer Randolph Dial for more than 11 years has taken a bizarre turn with news that a second woman aided Dial during his years on the lam.

The woman, who is in her 70s, told the Dallas Morning News that Dial threatened to harm her family if she didn't take Bobbi Parker, the warden's wife, on errands.

Parker has told authorities a similar story; that she stayed with Dial because she feared he would harm her family. Parker was abducted by Dial in 1994 when he escaped from an Oklahoma prison.

"I knew the kind of threats she was living under for herself and for her family, because, damn it, I was living under the same kinds of threats," said the woman, who has known Dial since she was one of his teachers at a Houston-area high school more than 40 years ago.

The woman told her story to the newspaper on condition that her name not be published.
--->>

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/04/18/national/main688790.shtml

Im still not buying it-SORRY!!!! :hand:

I think they were lovers and she ran off willingly.

Anybody listening to Greta? Seems like Bobbi wrote some love letters/cards to Randolph Dial during her captivity. Her friends are saying Dial controlled her to such an extent that he forced her to write the letters. None predate Dial's escape. Her husband still believes she was a hostage the entire time.

I hadn't heard Bobbi's name in the news for a while and I guess I was assuming that the investigation was over. But it is still ongoing.

kgeaux said:
Anybody listening to Greta? Seems like Bobbi wrote some love letters/cards to Randolph Dial during her captivity. Her friends are saying Dial controlled her to such an extent that he forced her to write the letters. None predate Dial's escape. Her husband still believes she was a hostage the entire time.

I hadn't heard Bobbi's name in the news for a while and I guess I was assuming that the investigation was over. But it is still ongoing.

I don't listen to Greta, so hadn't heard this. Have been wondering about the case though and assumed, like you did, investigation was over. Maybe Greta is searching for a story and contacting friends rather than an official investigation. Sort of shoots a hole in Dial's statements that there was nothing romantic going on, separate bedrooms, etc. Why the love letters then? Of course he is a liar, and Bobbi isn't going to be giving any press conferences or joining the talk show circuit. Have you seen anything in tabloids about this story? Maybe we'll have to wait for the book and/or movie to come out. Thanks for your post.

Just watched Dateline, hour special on Bobbi and Deal, well done, some things I didn't know, he had about 5 wives, and LE who first reached house to arrest Deal said there were two bedrooms, but only one used, one bed - other one was storage room, said they appeared to be living as man and wife. Lots of info from author who is totally convinced she went willingly, and that Deal made up story of kidnapping her to protect her. Investigation still going on in three states, and Bobbi now seeing a therapist. Sounds like story not over yet.

peggy said:
Just watched Dateline, hour special on Bobbi and Deal, well done, some things I didn't know, he had about 5 wives, and LE who first reached house to arrest Deal said there were two bedrooms, but only one used, one bed - other one was storage room, said they appeared to be living as man and wife. Lots of info from author who is totally convinced she went willingly, and that Deal made up story of kidnapping her to protect her. Investigation still going on in three states, and Bobbi now seeing a therapist. Sounds like story not over yet.

Yes, I agree that we'll be hearing more about this case. Information may dribble out, but it will find its way out eventually.

A convicted killer who disappeared from a southwestern Oklahoma prison with the wife of an assistant warden nearly 11 years ago waived his right to a preliminary hearing Monday on an escape charge.

Greer County Associate District Judge Mike Warren bound Randolph Franklin Dial over for trial on an amended charge of escaping from Department of Corrections custody and scheduled an Aug. 4 formal arraignment.

http://websleuths.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=598148

A convicted killer who disappeared from a southwestern Oklahoma prison with the wife of an assistant warden nearly 11 years ago waived his right to a preliminary hearing Monday on an escape charge.

Greer County Associate District Judge Mike Warren bound Randolph Franklin Dial over for trial on an amended charge of escaping from Department of Corrections custody and scheduled an Aug. 4 formal arraignment.

mysteriew -- where did you read this, wondering if it said anything about Bobbi, is she going to be charged with accessory, haven't heard anything about her lately.

peggy said:

mysteriew -- where did you read this, wondering if it said anything about Bobbi, is she going to be charged with accessory, haven't heard anything about her lately.

Peggy the link is above. I think in the article it said that the investigation on her is still continuing.

mysteriew said:
Peggy the link is above. I think in the article it said that the investigation on her is still continuing.
Link goes back to original thread - thought there was some recent news about it. Was curious because I haven't heard any updates.

peggy said:
Link goes back to original thread - thought there was some recent news about it. Was curious because I haven't heard any updates.

Here you go Peggy!

http://www.dfw.com/mld/startelegram/news/state/11940838.htm

A little excerpt concerning Bobbi:

The Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation continues to look at whether Dial abducted Bobbi Parker when he escaped from the Oklahoma State Reformatory in Granite and kept her captive by threatening to harm her family, or if the 42-year-old mother of two willingly helped him escape and avoid arrest.

"I think everyone is relieved to know that he is in custody, regardless of what happened," Wampler said. "He originally was convicted of murder, and he belongs behind bars."

Dial, 60, told authorities following his capture that he had taken Bobbi Parker against her will at knifepoint, then forced her to live as a mental hostage.

Dial has not been charged with kidnapping, and Bobbi Parker does not face any charges.

Wampler said no additional or amended charges will be filed until after the bureau's investigation has concluded. Wampler said he expected the investigation to last weeks rather than months.

"That part of the investigation is to determine what happened, if he did this alone or with assistance from Bobbi Parker or another individual," Wampler said.

Whoops, So Sorry Peggy, I don't know how come I did that! I wondered why you asked about where I found the story!

Kgeaux, Thank You for picking up on that for me!

kgeaux said:
Here you go Peggy!

http://www.dfw.com/mld/startelegram/news/state/11940838.htm

A little excerpt concerning Bobbi:

The Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation continues to look at whether Dial abducted Bobbi Parker when he escaped from the Oklahoma State Reformatory in Granite and kept her captive by threatening to harm her family, or if the 42-year-old mother of two willingly helped him escape and avoid arrest.

"I think everyone is relieved to know that he is in custody, regardless of what happened," Wampler said. "He originally was convicted of murder, and he belongs behind bars."

Thanks, kind of sounds like Bobbi investigation will just fade away and Deal back behind bars for life.

Dial, 60, told authorities following his capture that he had taken Bobbi Parker against her will at knifepoint, then forced her to live as a mental hostage.

Dial has not been charged with kidnapping, and Bobbi Parker does not face any charges.

Wampler said no additional or amended charges will be filed until after the bureau's investigation has concluded. Wampler said he expected the investigation to last weeks rather than months.

"That part of the investigation is to determine what happened, if he did this alone or with assistance from Bobbi Parker or another individual," Wampler said.

Thanks, sounds to me like investigation with Bobbi will probably just fade away and Dial behind bars for life.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buggy8993
Back