Former Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Report: Kennedy cousin Smith settles harass rap
By Gayle Fee and Laura Raposa
Wednesday, June 22, 2005 - Updated:
04:28 PM EST

Alleged serial predator William Kennedy Smith sexually harassed a pregnant female employee who claims the doctor told her expectant moms ``have a glow I can't refuse,'' according to documents posted yesterday on thesmokinggun.com.
Smith, the nephew of Sen. Ted Kennedy and who has been twice cleared of rape charges, reportedly paid a six-figure, out-of-court settlement to a third woman, Laura Hamilton, who worked for his Chicago-based Center for International Rehabilitation from 1997 to 2003.
A draft of Hamilton's complaint, obtained by thesmokinggun.com, claims she was subjected to years of sexual harassment, that Smith repeatedly touched her, kissed her and massaged her, and that when she was seven months pregnant, she had to barricade herself in a bedroom to escape his unwanted advances.
While Hamilton did not file a lawsuit against Smith, last year her attorneys prepared a 40-page complaint that was headed for U.S. District Court in Washington until the out-of-court settlement was reached, thesmokinggun.com says.
The Web site, which is operated by Court TV, obtained a copy of the draft compliant. In it, Hamilton alleges that after her baby was born, Smith kept popping into her office while she was breast-feeding, forcing Hamilton to stop nursing her son at work.
Hamilton says that, fearing for her job, she finally gave in and slept with Smith during a conference in Croatia in 2002 but that the experience left her feeling ``degraded and humiliated.''
Smith's attorney did not return our call and Rashida Adams, who represented Hamilton, declined to discuss the complaint with thesmokinggun.com, saying the two ``have resolved their dispute.................................................................................
..........................................................................................
Although Smith has never directly addressed his rather-sordid history, after Soulias filed her civil suit he acknowledged that ``family and personal history have made me unusually vulnerable to these kinds of charges.''
Gee, ya think????

http://thetrack.bostonherald.com/moreTrack/view.bg?articleid=91058&format=&page=3

I often reflect on that first big public charge in Florida. And there were rumblings way before that. I think this guy has real problems and his family money has always bailed him out. He shouldn't be able to practice medicine. Creepy.

I do believe that this creep is a serial predator and that he will never be stopped. Any female that would want to work or hang out with him really needs her head examined.

Holy Moly ! Hasn't this guy learned anything? Sooner or later we're going to have a forum on him for a trial. But, given his "family and personal history", it will all be about some woman trying to shake him down. Right?

Willy has some serious problems.

Is he married?

Wasn't there anyone she could complain to? The only thing that gives me pause is the part about "she finally gave in and slept with him on a trip to...." Was she married at the time?

Once I worked for a doctor who gave me trouble, and finally I just told him off. No problems after that. I didn't worry about my job because others would have backed me up.

I think he has a problem, but she should have complained to superiors or hi-tailed it to another job. No one should have to put up with constant sexual harrassment and it is against the law.

Marthatex said:
Is he married?

Wasn't there anyone she could complain to? The only thing that gives me pause is the part about "she finally gave in and slept with him on a trip to...." Was she married at the time?

Once I worked for a doctor who gave me trouble, and finally I just told him off. No problems after that. I didn't worry about my job because others would have backed me up.

I think he has a problem, but she should have complained to superiors or hi-tailed it to another job. No one should have to put up with constant sexual harrassment and it is against the law.

Martha, I do not know if she was married, BUT to say it is against the law really made me laugh.........filing lawsuits is a tough road...I have a ( happily married) friend who filed one for sexual harrassment...one of the sweetest people I know AND a bible thumper(just a description -not meant to denigrate)...she ended up on tranquilizers and leaving her job due to the stress....I could see the stress visibly in her appearance and demeanor during the ordeal...She did win quite a lot of money because he had done it before plus when she complained she got demoted and nothing was done to him...a big no,no that companies are more savvy about now,....but anyway my point is I think she would have given all the money back not to have gone thru what she did.......it took a toll on her
And having filed with the EEOC for sex and age discrimination against a company and industry that is well known to be peopled only by good ole boys....I know how futile and consuming it can be...and more often they do absolutely nothing about it...ask any of your friends being laid off because they are over 40 how much it being against the law helps them now???

A draft of Hamilton's complaint, obtained by thesmokinggun.com, claims she was subjected to years of sexual harassment, that Smith repeatedly touched her, kissed her and massaged her, and that when she was seven months pregnant, she had to barricade herself in a bedroom to escape his unwanted advances

Gee, I wonder if it ever occured to her to find another job? :doh:

Sally said:

Gee, I wonder if it ever occured to her to find another job? :doh:
well, my sister was just laid off yesterday...and her hubby has been out of work a year,she is devastated.......................with the economy in the Northeast still pretty touch and go finding a new job at the same rate of pay is a scary proposition....Easy to say find another job until you try to do it...I agree when things get that bad one should leave as their sanity is much more important than the paycheck...
:laugh: .If it were me I would have kicked him in the balls and then quit!!!
(but that's just me......:angel: ...)

smellsarat said:
If it were me I would have kicked him in the balls and then quit!!!
(but that's just me......:angel: ...)

Yep. And then sued his sorry *advertiser censored**

smellsarat said:
Martha, I do not know if she was married, BUT to say it is against the law really made me laugh.........filing lawsuits is a tough road...I have a ( happily married) friend who filed one for sexual harrassment...one of the sweetest people I know AND a bible thumper(just a description -not meant to denigrate)...she ended up on tranquilizers and leaving her job due to the stress....I could see the stress visibly in her appearance and demeanor during the ordeal...She did win quite a lot of money because he had done it before plus when she complained she got demoted and nothing was done to him...a big no,no that companies are more savvy about now,....but anyway my point is I think she would have given all the money back not to have gone thru what she did.......it took a toll on her
And having filed with the EEOC for sex and age discrimination against a company and industry that is well known to be peopled only by good ole boys....I know how futile and consuming it can be...and more often they do absolutely nothing about it...ask any of your friends being laid off because they are over 40 how much it being against the law helps them now???

Well, I know it is a terrible experience, and there is no excuse for a man doing that and once he is asked to stop he'd better stop. That's why they made the law, thank goodness. Obviously she did decide to pursue a possible law suit.

But I don't laugh from the men's side because I have heard several men talk that they are VERY aware at all times of sexual harrassment consequences and they hardly dare speak or look at the women they work with. There are some that would love the opportunity to sue. Ask O'Reilly. Don't know what happened exactly in that case, but that was a similar one in which she never really complained to anyone till much later.

Smellsarat--

I know what you mean about age discrimination. Back in the 1990s my place of employment began "targeting" a few women in the building where I worked, (different departments, but same employer), and then terminated their jobs -- 3 of them in one day. I had quit the day before, refusing to submit to any more harassment. All 4 over the age of 50. How's that for coincidence, that exactly those jobs were the ones eliminated? We figured it would take more years off our lives to attempt to sue for age discrimination. At least 2 of us have kept in touch, and we are thankful every day to be out of that toxic environment. The type of harassment in this thread is much trickier to handle, I think.

Opie said:
Smellsarat--

I know what you mean about age discrimination. Back in the 1990s my place of employment began "targeting" a few women in the building where I worked, (different departments, but same employer), and then terminated their jobs -- 3 of them in one day. I had quit the day before, refusing to submit to any more harassment. All 4 over the age of 50. How's that for coincidence, that exactly those jobs were the ones eliminated? We figured it would take more years off our lives to attempt to sue for age discrimination. At least 2 of us have kept in touch, and we are thankful every day to be out of that toxic environment. The type of harassment in this thread is much trickier to handle, I think.
Unfortunately we all know it goes on but getting somewhere with a lawsuit is a tough road...and yes Martha I think the PC crowd at work has made it ridiculous...you can't even make a comment for fear of other peoples perception.........

Agreed SAR; it's trouble both ways; a good kick in the groin or screaming at the top of your lungs in front of everyone is definitely a quicker method. (also avoid the guy's bedroom, for heaven's sake...duh)

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back