Identified! DE - Bear, WhtFem 16-25, UP7097, pregnant, in laundry bag, Mar'67 - NamUs removed

Have we heard back from Billy regarding Miss X possibly being Glenda Tedball? I know that the circumstances do not seem to fit exactly; however, the person that described the death of Glenda is likely to not tell the whole truth.

http://doenetwork.org/cases/553dfon.html

Thinking of her every day. I hope someone out there that knows something comes forward to at least give her a name and let her family know where she is.

This girl's initials are CD - Neptune HS (Neptune NJ) Class of 1961

Her senior portrait is not as compelling, but in this cheerleading team photo, she sure looks like a younger version of Miss X. She was the co-captain of the cheerleading team.

2733534360045078242S600x600Q851_zps34f7750f.jpg
7fbb681e-11a4-4099-88e4-c33cbaebd3d8.jpg

Here's her senior portrait:
2489445470045078242S425x425Q851_zps9ce74f85.jpg

The last time I was researching CD to see if she could be accounted for post-1967, MargotKidder found a woman CD-M who lived in Oceanside CA with a Feb 1943 birthdate. I had figured that this was probably the same CD that went to Neptune HS, and went on to other things.

But after Zanko bumped this thread, I took a look again to see if I could find any more info on CD-M. I found her name listed on an annual report for the Academy of Our Lady of Good Counsel High School in White Plains NY. She is listed among financial donors to the school, and next to her name is "(60)" indicating that she was a graduate of that school, Class of 1960.

By the way, her married surname (abbreviated "M") is a very unusual surname, and when combined with the somewhat uncommon name abbreviated as "CD" on this thread, it is almost definitely the same CD-M who lives in Oceanside.

Therefore, CD-M who webrocket located is probably not the same CD who attended Neptune HS in Neptune NJ class of 1961.

So as of now, we are still unable to account for Neptune HS CD's existence post-1967.

Carl, I don't know if it is an issue with WS or I'm just doing something wrong but I can't find any sent messages.

would you be able to PM me with the info I sent you on CD-M?

thanks

Carl, I don't know if it is an issue with WS or I'm just doing something wrong but I can't find any sent messages.

would you be able to PM me with the info I sent you on CD-M?

thanks

:doh: My mistake - it was MargotKidder who found CD-M. But I'll PM you the info, and see if you can find anything.

ETA: Since the one-hour edit window is still open I corrected the error.

OK - I resolved it. I reached CD's sister in South Carolina by telephone. CD is alive and well.

OK - I resolved it. I reached CD's sister in South Carolina by telephone. CD is alive and well.

What a roller coaster! Thanks for the quick update - you guys are so amazing at what you do and give me so much hope. Someday you're going to just nail it and give at least one of these people their name back and some closure for the loved ones!

I'm amazed at how hard it is to even find potential matches to this woman. I had such high hopes when I saw the namus listing because the pictures of her are so clear.

I spent a lot of time going through namus listings stretching from years before this woman was found to years after, just in case she'd been out of touch or someone got confused about dates, and found no good prospects. I also searched google news archives for key words that seemed logical and couldn't find news stories from around those years to check up on.

Poor thing, dying alone and thrown away. I hope she can be identified.

This case really touched me. She's so young, so beautiful...that photo is just heartbreaking, especially if you think about how she was found in a bag. :(

I just noticed this, thank you, Kimster!!

What a sad case. Good thing we've come a long way. A member of my family had an illegal abortion and was sterile for the rest of her life.

This woman looks like she may have Italian/spanish decent. Has anyone had any luck in missing persons from NY or NJ for the 1960's? Not that there aren't persons of this decent in other states but since is seems were at a wall in the state that she was found?

This woman looks like she may have Italian/spanish decent. Has anyone had any luck in missing persons from NY or NJ for the 1960's? Not that there aren't persons of this decent in other states but since is seems were at a wall in the state that she was found?

I checked every missing woman in NamUs between the ages of 14-35 from the 1960s and didn't see any very good candidates. Do you know of other sources for NY and NJ?

I have to say that I think in her actual postmortem photos (although they are hard to look at), she looks prettier than in the composite, with more defined features and a more pleasing shape to her face (no disrespect meant to those who generated the drawing - it would have been very hard to generate something head-on from the photos in her file).

I'm glad this case has been brought to the forfront as a featured case. This is such a sad case. We are so lucky that we have more rights these days. This never happen to any woman.

I completely agree with with skigirl, about the composite sketch. If there is anyone ou there that knew her, they certainly would not recognize from that sketch. I wonder if they would have better luck with a new picture.

Also, any lead on the lead from Canada?

Murder, Rape (12 incidents) and Forced Abortion

In 1967, Edward Gratton, 34, raped 16-year old Glenda Tedball repeatedly over a period of time, and she became pregnant. When her pregnancy became known, Gratton grabbed Glenda and held her down while her own mother, Norma Poore, aborted her with a coat hanger. Glenda died soon after.
This horrible incident was covered up and only revealed when Poore confessed to the crime just before she died in 1999. Gratton, now 67, was arrested for his part in the crime, and he pled guilty to procuring an abortion after the Crown agreed to withdraw a charge of culpable homicide. For the abortion, while it was illegal, and for concealing the murder for all these years, Justice Bruce Thomas gave Gratton a conditional sentence of two years less a day to be served in the community, followed by probation. Gratton is said to have had limited mental capacity, but the November 2000 sentence did not suggest a stay at one of Canada's institutes for the criminally insane.
Justice Bruce Thomas said that "Glenda Tedball didn't have the benefit of living beyond her 16th year. .. The fact that Mr. Gratton continues to have nightmares is of little concern to me."
While Gratton's conduct was criminal, Thomas said, he was following the lead of a woman who escaped justice altogether — Tedball's mother, Norma Poole. "It's clear to me that Norma was the directing mind," Thomas said.
Poore persuaded Gratton, who had limited mental capacity, to help with an abortion he likely didn't realize could result in death, the judge said.
Gratton tied down the girl's wrists and ankles while Poore used a clothes hanger.
When Tedball screamed, Gratton stuffed a towel in her mouth. "[Norma Poore] carried on despite the protests of her daughter until she was covered in blood and Glenda was dead," Thomas said.
Poore, who for years led a public campaign to find her "missing" daughter, died July 11, 1999, taking her secret to the grave.
After Poore's death, Glenda's father, Glen Tedball, who had been living elsewhere when she disappeared from her farm in the Thedford, Ontario area, encouraged the provincial police to re-open the case.
Glen Tedball's tip led police to Gratton, who confessed to his role.

References: "No Jail in Canada for Rape, Abortion and Murder." LifeSite Daily News at http://www.lifesite.net, November 28, 2000; "Man Whose Girlfriend Died in 1967 Home Abortion Gets Conditional Sentence." National Post [canada.com], November 29, 2000.

Is it possible this is her after all and the reported missing date was wrong. This is a bizarre story and Tedball's body was never found. I doubt that her mother reported her missing right after she botched the abortion. According to this story, it sounds like her father reported her missing (?) The age is off, but the other features look right to me. The drive from Thedford to Bear, DE is around 10 hours. Did Poore and Gratton drive to the States and dump her body after the botched abortion and then she wasn't reported missing until October. Do you guys think this is a possibility?

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=&q=t...g4S0Cg&sa=X&oi=mode_link&ct=mode&ved=0CA8Q_AU

Was Glenda Tedball ever completely discounted by LE?

Is this girl a possible?

The Doe Network:
Case File 556DFGA

Mary Shotwell Little
Missing since October 14, 1965 from Atlanta, Fulton County, Georgia.
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics

Date Of Birth: January 14,1940
Age at Time of Disappearance: 25 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'6", 120 pounds.
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Light brown hair; hazel-green eyes. Glasses. Mary has a discoloration on her left arm.
Clothing/Jewelry: A set of keys, a "John Romain" handbag, flats, a white London Fog raincoat and a olive-green sheath dress printed with white flowers. A platinum wedding ring, a solitaire engagement ring, a Women's College of the University of North Carolina class ring and a scarab bracelet.
Fingerprints: Available
Circumstances of Disappearance
Little was employed as a secretary at the C&S Bank and had been married to a bank examiner for six weeks at the time of her disappearance. Her husband was out of town on bank business, but he was due back the next day, and they planned to see friends the following evening.
Little purchased groceries and then shared dinner at the Piccadilly Cafeteria with a bank coworker; she was never seen again. The coworker who had dined with Little alerted their supervisor about Little's absence from work the following morning and recalled that Little had mentioned the area where she was parked. With that information, the boss phoned security at Lenox Square, asking them to look for a 1965 metallic pearl gray Mercury Comet. Security soon notified them that no such car could be found.

Little's husband was notified of her disappearance and he headed home. Her boss drove to Lenox Square for his own search of the parking lot. He located her car in the parking area. Police found a fine coat of red dust on the exterior of the car, as if it had been on a dirt road. They also found blood in several places. Also found in the car, carefully rolled together and placed between the seats, was a set of women's undergarments, a girdle, slip, and panties that had tiny drops of blood on them. On the floorboard lay a black bra and a section of stocking that had been cut neatly. Tests indicated the blood probably was Little's. The undergarments definitely were hers and had been worn recently. The car was also littered with dozens of other items, including Coke bottles, a package of Kent cigarettes (Little's brand) and four bags of groceries.

One of her friends told investigators that Little had expressed fear of being home alone and of being alone in her car several days before she disappeared. Authorities also learned that Little had received roses from an unidentified "secret admirer" shortly before she vanished. The flowers were traced to a florist near Little's home, but police were unable to identify the purchaser. Coworkers remembered that Little was disturbed by phone calls she received at work. She never discussed the conversations with anyone.

A key piece of evidence was discovered one month after Little's disappearance. Investigators learned that Little's gasoline credit card had been used in North Carolina. A gas station in Charlotte showed Little's card had been used in the early morning of October 15, just a few hours after she was last seen at Lenox Square. The card was used again several hours later in Raleigh with what appeared to be Little's signature.
The gas station attendant in Charlotte recalled a woman with a cut on her head, trying to hide her face, traveling in the company of a man who seemed to be giving her orders. In Raleigh, the attendant told of a "bloody woman," with blood even on her legs, traveling with two men. No further leads were found about her disappearance and Little has never been found.

She is also on Namus.
I have attached an image and included the Does nose close up's.

Attachments

• Compare with Mary Little.jpg
    Compare with Mary Little.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 207
Is this girl a possible?

The Doe Network:
Case File 556DFGA

Mary Shotwell Little
Missing since October 14, 1965 from Atlanta, Fulton County, Georgia.
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics

Date Of Birth: January 14,1940
Age at Time of Disappearance: 25 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'6", 120 pounds.
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Light brown hair; hazel-green eyes. Glasses. Mary has a discoloration on her left arm.
Clothing/Jewelry: A set of keys, a "John Romain" handbag, flats, a white London Fog raincoat and a olive-green sheath dress printed with white flowers. A platinum wedding ring, a solitaire engagement ring, a Women's College of the University of North Carolina class ring and a scarab bracelet.
Fingerprints: Available
Circumstances of Disappearance
Little was employed as a secretary at the C&S Bank and had been married to a bank examiner for six weeks at the time of her disappearance. Her husband was out of town on bank business, but he was due back the next day, and they planned to see friends the following evening.
Little purchased groceries and then shared dinner at the Piccadilly Cafeteria with a bank coworker; she was never seen again. The coworker who had dined with Little alerted their supervisor about Little's absence from work the following morning and recalled that Little had mentioned the area where she was parked. With that information, the boss phoned security at Lenox Square, asking them to look for a 1965 metallic pearl gray Mercury Comet. Security soon notified them that no such car could be found.

Little's husband was notified of her disappearance and he headed home. Her boss drove to Lenox Square for his own search of the parking lot. He located her car in the parking area. Police found a fine coat of red dust on the exterior of the car, as if it had been on a dirt road. They also found blood in several places. Also found in the car, carefully rolled together and placed between the seats, was a set of women's undergarments, a girdle, slip, and panties that had tiny drops of blood on them. On the floorboard lay a black bra and a section of stocking that had been cut neatly. Tests indicated the blood probably was Little's. The undergarments definitely were hers and had been worn recently. The car was also littered with dozens of other items, including Coke bottles, a package of Kent cigarettes (Little's brand) and four bags of groceries.

One of her friends told investigators that Little had expressed fear of being home alone and of being alone in her car several days before she disappeared. Authorities also learned that Little had received roses from an unidentified "secret admirer" shortly before she vanished. The flowers were traced to a florist near Little's home, but police were unable to identify the purchaser. Coworkers remembered that Little was disturbed by phone calls she received at work. She never discussed the conversations with anyone.

A key piece of evidence was discovered one month after Little's disappearance. Investigators learned that Little's gasoline credit card had been used in North Carolina. A gas station in Charlotte showed Little's card had been used in the early morning of October 15, just a few hours after she was last seen at Lenox Square. The card was used again several hours later in Raleigh with what appeared to be Little's signature.
The gas station attendant in Charlotte recalled a woman with a cut on her head, trying to hide her face, traveling in the company of a man who seemed to be giving her orders. In Raleigh, the attendant told of a "bloody woman," with blood even on her legs, traveling with two men. No further leads were found about her disappearance and Little has never been found.

She is also on Namus.
I have attached an image and included the Does nose close up's.

Has anyone had a chance to look at this compare?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back