Earthquake in VA 5.8

yeah she said after 2 hours the risk of aftershocks goes down

People felt this from PA, NYC, SC, NC, WV and even Ohio. Early report was 5.8 now says 5.9 and I'm wondering if it might even be higher.

Oh gosh! You guys all be careful! Hurricanes and earthquakes. What is happening?

My husband was on the phone with my father-in-law who lives in Annapolis, MD. My husband could hear the rumbling over the phone. He had never heard his father sound so scared. My 12 year old nephew lives nearby, and was home alone at the time. He immediately ran toward the front door and stood under it. What the heck is going on? First Colorado, now the East Coast?

We have sometimes Naval weapon station setting off ordinance so at first we thought that was what it was, however it went on longer then normal and that is when I said, THIS IS AN EARTHQUAKE...we headed for the outside and soon as my son came downstairs and us outside it stopped. That is a pretty long time. I'm about 70 miles or a little more from the epicenter.

can you imagine how scared the pentagon workers were feeling the building shake??
I want to cry for them :(

updating: 6.0 per USGS, reviewed by geologist, epicenter Virginia.

Let me give you a few words of safety:
1. Do NOT run outside if there is active shaking.
2. Get under a desk, if necessary, to protect your noggin from falling things
3. Avoid glass windows, buildings, and power lines.
4. When it's safe to go outside, proceed SLOWLY. Take stairs, not elevators.
5. Once outside, be aware of falling bricks, windows, and so on.

Hang in there. A 6 is pretty big, especially when you're not used to them. Expect aftershocks, and be prepared to take cover. Treat this as you would a bad thunderstorm, in terms of food and water/lighting.

Cell service seems to be pretty spotty right now; one trick I've learned is leave a message on your outgoing vm stating you're all right in case you don't get the call and it goes to vm.

Best-
Herding Cats

CNN reporting that cell phone service is very spotty right now - great advice to do this in case loved ones in other parts of the country are trying to see if you are safe.

Be safe all.

A 5 gets your attention, a 6+ you definitely pay attention to. Stay safe everyone in the area.

We felt something here in southern ontario about 2pm... my co-worker asked me if I felt the building move (which I did) then I log on to this site and this is the first thread in my new posts lists... Yep... email from head office just confirmed... we felt it too!!!

I thought someone was just running around upstairs until a picture fell off the wall and the trees outside started shaking. Then it just got worse and worse! We are all freaked out!

My granddaughter was on duty at Ft. Bragg, N. C. We were actually on the phone at the time and she felt the tremors from the quake.

That was really strange.

We were living in the Philippines and our house was just over the ridge from Mt Penatubo, back in 1984 a large earthquake I felt in my house that lasted well over a minute, it was 3 am, I got to my kids room and their beds were sliding to the other side of the room. No reports on the news about it over there.

That was the dormant Mt Penatubo awakening and a few short years later erupted.

I got the CNN alert in email. Stay safe everyone!

We felt something here in southern ontario about 2pm... my co-worker asked me if I felt the building move (which I did) then I log on to this site and this is the first thread in my new posts lists... Yep... email from head office just confirmed... we felt it too!!!

Ontario, Canada?

Good friend just reported in; she felt it strongly in Delaware.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back