Chuck and Judith Cox file for custody

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.nationalenquirer.com/cel...ensored*-sicko-my-rat-out-person-interest-son
Authorities believe they have the key to solving the two-year-old disappearance of Utah mom SUSAN POWELL – using the threat of 70 years in prison to force her husband’s father to rat out his son for her murder!

........... I have no doubt that Steven would give up Josh to save himself, but you have to wonder why Steven was trying so hard to get arrested. After all, he was telling the woman friend about his *advertiser censored* stash, he called her after a previous search that the police missed it. He was speaking to the media about his flirtacious relationship with Susan, which brought on another search of the house. Knowing that the police would likely search his house again, why would he leave all of the computer evidence at his house?

Whoa... I may be a little behind, but where on earth are we getting the idea that Josh might kill his boys?? There is nothing in his demeanor that suggests to me that he would do that. Kidnap, yes... murder, no. Even if he is a possible suspect in Susan's disappearance, that doesn't prove to me that he might kill his own children. Please.. let's stop comparing everyone to Casey Anthony. This is a completely different case, and we don't even know at this point that Susan is dead, much less murdered. Highly probable but that still doesn't mean he has any thoughts of killing his boys.
I do think that some are jumping the gun a little here. No offense, but he is NOT Casey Anthony, not even close.
JMO, and please pardon if I step on any toes but I call it like I see it.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=17473885

“Last week, they were placed in foster care after their grandfather — whose Washington state home they were living in with their father — was arrested on charges of voyeurism and possession of child *advertiser censored*. Then just two days ago, they were reunited with their maternal grandparents — people they haven't seen for quite a while.
To say the least these two little boys have been on an up and down emotional journey. One bit of consistency they have had while in Washington is Pierce County Sheriff's Detective Sgt. Teresa Berg.”…
“ Berg is lead investigator of child homicides, as well as the head of the Special Assault Unit — they handle sexual assault and abuse cases. But it's more than investigation. Berg and her detectives are there to look out for the rights of children.”

...........It's nice that they have a consistant police to deal with the children throughout the case.

http://www.nationalenquirer.com/cel...ensored*-sicko-my-rat-out-person-interest-son
Authorities believe they have the key to solving the two-year-old disappearance of Utah mom SUSAN POWELL – using the threat of 70 years in prison to force her husband’s father to rat out his son for her murder!

........... I have no doubt that Steven would give up Josh to save himself, but you have to wonder why Steven was trying so hard to get arrested. After all, he was telling the woman friend about his *advertiser censored* stash, he called her after a previous search that the police missed it. He was speaking to the media about his flirtacious relationship with Susan, which brought on another search of the house. Knowing that the police would likely search his house again, why would he leave all of the computer evidence at his house?

Narcissists like Steve believe they will never be caught and that they are smarter than the police.

I imagine his personality type also believes he did nothing wrong, so why worry about evidence. *advertiser censored* et al seems to be Steve's norm, so in his mind I don't think he feels it is abuse of any kind. Thankfully, LE disagreed.

The delusions led to the unraveling that is now underway. Hence, I was thrilled to see the Cox's petition for custody...those boys really need something stable. I just hope that they retain it.

MO

I don't think SP was trying to get arrested. Trying to pull some of the attention off JP maybe and trying to tarnish Susan's image, but not trying to get arrested.

SP did talk about having her journals. But I think that was a mistake on his part. He did say he would turn them over to the FBI, and he also said he was going to publish them. I think he was so set on justifying the image that he and JP were spreading about Susan that he never thought her teenage journals would be of any serious interest to LE.

Hearing about the journals, the friend decided to go public. The friend is the one who talked about the *advertiser censored* stash, and she never mentioned that there was anything illegal about it. She also talked about his 'crush' on Susan. And she mentioned that he had told her about having the temple garments. (But I believe he told her that before Susan went missing.)

SP then 'came out' to the media. He talked about his crush on Susan mostly. He fabricated her responses to his crush. He may even have briefly admitted to or alluded to the *advertiser censored*. But *advertiser censored* isn't illegal. And he thought he was safe. LE had already done a voluntary search of his home and found nothing.

But he never mentioned the temple garments. And I believe that the journals and the garments were the focus of the search. Finding the illegal activity was just icing on the cake and a way to arrest SP and separate JP and SP. But I don't think they went there looking for that.

I pray the boys are enjoying and adapting well. Something tells me they are!

Whoa... I may be a little behind, but where on earth are we getting the idea that Josh might kill his boys?? There is nothing in his demeanor that suggests to me that he would do that. Kidnap, yes... murder, no. Even if he is a possible suspect in Susan's disappearance, that doesn't prove to me that he might kill his own children. Please.. let's stop comparing everyone to Casey Anthony. This is a completely different case, and we don't even know at this point that Susan is dead, much less murdered. Highly probable but that still doesn't mean he has any thoughts of killing his boys.
I do think that some are jumping the gun a little here. No offense, but he is NOT Casey Anthony, not even close.

There have been many, WAY too many, cases of narcissistic personality disordered people murdering their children out of spite, revenge, or "if I can't have/ be in CONTROL of them, no one else can either". It is the ultimate act of CONTROL. Unfortunately, NO ONE who knew these individuals EVER thought it would come to that.

Because this has happened so much, we must all learn to be vigilant in seeing the heads-up symptoms, the warning signs. It is MUCH better to exercise an ounce of caution when innocent, young, and totally vulnerable lives are at stake. Better to be safe now and "apologize" for caution later, IF the children are still among the living.

Lastly, we are talking about a person who has probably ALREADY murdered someone that he was "losing control of". That person was adult, aware, and cautious. Why do you think he is not "capable" of murdering again for very similar reasons? Clearly, murderers are not "thinking right" at the time they commit their murders. They ALWAYS think they are justified, at that moment in time.

There have been many, WAY too many, cases of narcissistic personality disordered people murdering their children out of spite, revenge, or "if I can't have/ be in CONTROL of them, no one else can either". It is the ultimate act of CONTROL. Unfortunately, NO ONE who knew these individuals EVER thought it would come to that.

Because this has happened so much, we must all learn to be vigilant in seeing the heads-up symptoms, the warning signs. It is MUCH better to exercise an ounce of caution when innocent, young, and totally vulnerable lives are at stake. Better to be safe now and "apologize" for caution later, IF the children are still among the living.

Lastly, we are talking about a person who has probably ALREADY murdered someone that he was "losing control of". That person was adult, aware, and cautious. Why do you think he is not "capable" of murdering again for very similar reasons? Clearly, murderers are not "thinking right" at the time they commit their murders. They ALWAYS think they are justified, at that moment in time.

I agree. I think his hatred and fear of the Coxes is more powerful right now than any attachment he has for his boys. From what I have heard, he wasn't that much of a hands on father until Susan disappeared anyway. Oh yeah, except for taking them out in the snow sledding and camping that one night! They are simply a prop for him.

He stated to the court that he would prefer the boys langor in foster care rather than go live with the Coxes. In my opinion, he is a man on the verge of a major breakdown and it would not surprise me a bit to see him try to break and destroy everything he can on his way out, including the boys. JMO.

I fully believe that JP murdered his wife. There is no doubt in my mind that she is dead. So to me, JP is a murderer and murderers murder.

Yes, killing a wife is far different than killing a child. And I would never compare him to casey anthony who killed, IMO, to be free and have fun and get back at her mom. But I can easily see JP killing his kids so no one else can have them - especially so the family he hates so much cannot raise them in the religion he hates so much.

As others have said, JP would rather have his babies languish in foster care than with loving grandparents. That speaks volumes as to his attachment to them. Also, the day after they were taken into foster care, instead of concentrating all his efforts on getting them back and working that case, he was in court trying hard to get the rights to public his missing wife's teenage journals, to smear her name when she cannot defend herself. Clearly, the well-being of his kids is not paramount.

JP took his babies' mother away from them. Their primary caregiver. Kiirsi Hellewell talks about how, before Susan disappeared, he was trying hard to sever the bond between mother and sons, by doing things like getting them out of bed, late, after mom had gone through the whole routine of getting them ready, sleepy, and in their beds. When he got them out of their beds he would tell them, "Mommy is mean [or bad] for making you go to bed so early."

This is horrible stuff. If he's capable of that and of the murder of his wife, he is surely capable of destroying his babies.

Murderers are always a risk to the safety of others, especially those closest to them. That's why we lock them up for life after they have been convicted. I am actually surprised that anyone would think a likely murderer does not pose a serious risk to the safety of his children.

I agree. I think his hatred and fear of the Coxes is more powerful right now than any attachment he has for his boys. From what I have heard, he wasn't that much of a hands on father until Susan disappeared anyway. Oh yeah, except for taking them out in the snow sledding and camping that one night! They are simply a prop for him.

He stated to the court that he would prefer the boys langor in foster care rather than go live with the Coxes. In my opinion, he is a man on the verge of a major breakdown and it would not surprise me a bit to see him try to break and destroy everything he can on his way out, including the boys. JMO.

BBM...I completely agree!

No way Josh Powell has the "best interest" of his children in mind as he claimed in court. It was pathetic when he begged the Judge to leave them in foster care! Josh is all about himself. This is a volitile time in the life of Josh Powell. Desperate people do desperate things...I am very concerned for the safety of his children and the Cox family.

I am so happy the Judge ordered supervised visitation. I only pray there is a team of trained ex-special forces agents doing the supervision! If Josh Powell did what we all believe he did to his poor wife, and he thinks he may no longer be getting away with it, he could very well kill his children and himself. Josh Powell has a deviant approach when it comes to power and control over what he believes to be "HIS". It is naive to think he wouldn't harm his children. I can only pray LE find what they need to lock him up!

JMHO

There is something about the tone in which he always talks of the kids as "my boys" that makes me think he wouldn't allow them to go to the Cox's under any circumstances. Including if he was committing suicide.

He never says "our boys" or "the boys" he says "my boys."

For whatever it's worth, I kind of agree with this. The pathology of this family is that they are woman-haters, and capable of anything in that regard. I wouldn't put anything past them, but Little Joshy Boy just does not strike me as the kind to kill his kids. That's not to say I wouldn't take precautions...I just don't see it, though.

I have really pondered about this couple & their children. I cannot find anything attractive about JP. His manner , his beliefs, his arrogance & intolerance are grating on my last nerve. Susan was a smart, attractive, loving girl who chose to follow her parents religion. JP has continued to be negative about everything dear to Susan. She also was the bread -winner! What did she need from JP.....that gummy toothy repulsive grin????????????:maddening:

For whatever it's worth, I kind of agree with this. The pathology of this family is that they are woman-haters, and capable of anything in that regard. I wouldn't put anything past them, but Little Joshy Boy just does not strike me as the kind to kill his kids. That's not to say I wouldn't take precautions...I just don't see it, though.

I agree the Powell family are women-haters! They are also religion haters, and Cox family haters, etc. The Powell's hate anyone who challenge them. But, under the hate is a deviant need for power and control.

As for Josh not the type to kill his kids, research states otherwise...

Christine Jackman wrote about this in her book “When Dads Get Deadly.” In her book she discusses the reasons why men kill their families:
•Losing control over the family circumstances/panic over powerlessness
•Seeing only adverse circumstances ahead in life/desperation/frustration
•Joint crime against the mother—erasing the family
•Killing witnesses to abuse
•Feeling overwhelmed and unable to let the family live while he dies
•Believing the children cannot survive without him
•Revenge
•Grief over losing the family in a custody/divorce dispute
•Possessiveness/entitlement/ownership
•Psychosis

For decades, psychiatrists have been studying dad's who kill. A person who kills his family often has control issues that lead him to decide the fate of the children, spouse and pets.

Donna Cohen, a psychologist/professor at University of South Florida & head of the Violence/Injury Prevention Program there has also studied this. She has said "it has to do with their distorted thinking ..." A murder-suicide is rarely committed on the spur of the moment and often is based on a desire to maintain control. The person with a mental illness views his wife and children as possessions, believing, "I have to keep this. This is mine," Cohen said. "Nobody else is able to take care of them except me. If I can't control this in my life, I'll preserve it in death so that my world doesn't change. It's the psychiatric issues."

Make no mistake about it...Josh Powell most likely fits the "TYPE"! And that is Scary! :eek:hwow:

The reason that I believe the boys to be in danger is all about control. I personally think he loves himself too much (everything is about him) to take his own life; but I still really do fear for the boys. I cannot recall him ever declaring his unending love for his boys. And, to want your children with strangers over family is just a great example that they are "his" possessions. JMHO

Good article!

What must Josh Powell do to get his sons back?

With his children now in the custody of their maternal grandparents, there is only one way for Josh Powell to get them back, says one national child welfare expert.

Law enforcement must clear him as a person of interest in his wife Susan’s disappearance and of any participation in his father’s illegal activities.

“I can’t think of anything that would prompt the court to give the children back to him while that exists,” said Richard Wexler, executive director of the National Coalition for Child Protection Reform based in Alexandria, Va.

more at link

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/52665446-78/powell-josh-judge-court.html.csp

The reason that I believe the boys to be in danger is all about control. I personally think he loves himself too much (everything is about him) to take his own life; but I still really do fear for the boys. I cannot recall him ever declaring his unending love for his boys. And, to want your children with strangers over family is just a great example that they are "his" possessions. JMHO

BCBM

I agree with the exception of that one phrase. I don't think JP loves himself,but he does think he should be the one controlling his little Universe. JP probably loathes himself and his life, and he hates those who are better than him in every way.
That's why he hated Susan and the Cox's . Susan was everything good that he was not.
He couldn't let his boys grow up seeing that their father was useless ,weak and pathetic in comparison to their mother.
He hated Susan for bringing in the money that he controlled ,for being a better parent, for being attractive and well liked by others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cindy88