Baby Lisa's brothers to be questioned and DNA tested

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dan Abrams used to have a show on MSNBC and I watched it every day during the Scott Peterson trial.

I like him, plus he is easy on the eyes. :)

Can anyone point to a source that CPS is now "involved"? TIA

No, I haven't seen anything that suggests CPS is involved. LE uses social workers at a child protection center to interview children. That in no way means CPS opens a case and gets "involved".

When I worked CPS in the military our specially trained social workers sometimes interviewed child witnesses. It did not mean we had a case open; LE used us as an investigative resource, nothing more.

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7283351&postcount=69"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - 26 October 2011 Main Stream Media coverage of Baby Lisa[/ame]

Quote:
Originally Posted by josie1986 View Post
"do the parents need to agree for them to be interviewed now CPS is involved?
(IF they are regarding it as neglect/endangerment due to DB's admission to being so drunk so could have blacked out)

i have no knowledge of CPS procedures etc so im just curious"

No, IF and big IF, CPS has opened an investigation and they find there is any child endangerment, they can remove the children from the home. This is SOP and the parents then have to deal directly with Social Services through Family Court. Typically, if the parents temporarily lose custody of their children, counselors do not have to get the parents consent for any questions asked of the children.

DB & JI are walking a thin line on this issue. Because, IMO, they have been advised that if they do not allow Social Workers through LE to interview the children that there is adequate evidence and legal standing to forcibly remove the children from their bio family. (From Professional experience & knowledge/degree in Social Services Administration.)

Here is the rub: Confidentiality is a sticky wicket with juveniles. Their testimony will probably be sealed.

Oh geez.... when you watch the footage of JI walking and then go and watch the video from the gas station.... is the gate similiar... the way the arms move?

So little to go on... but it made me uncomfortable.

Wow, I noticed that about five minutes ago! Tinfoil hat time?

The Police hold a very important card. If they feel there is endangerment to the two remaining children, they can report the family to CPS and then a case must be opened and the family will be investigated as it applies to temporarily removing the remaining children. IMO, they are using that card as leverage, for now.

Just to add, by law teachers, medical professionals, fire & rescue personnel and LE have a requirement to report possible child endangerment, abuse and/or neglect. If that happens CPS must open a case file to investigate the accusations or concerns.

:seeya:

i have a question.....if in fact it is true that CPS are now involved would DB and/or JI have to have agreed to these interviews or would they have no choice as it could be regarded as negligence/endangerment due to DB's admission of being so drunk that she could have blacked out while being the sole carer for 3 small children?

It's standard operating procedure when law enforcement needs to question a child. General LE are not equipped or qualified for the gentle task of questioning young children like that and are able to rely CPS to have one of their people do it, then relay the information back to LE in a report.

Oh geez.... when you watch the footage of JI walking and then go and watch the video from the gas station.... is the gate similiar... the way the arms move?

So little to go on... but it made me uncomfortable.

It does appear to be the same cadence...but with the surveillance video it's so hard to really tell...but both do appear to have the same rhythm as they walk. :waitasec:
http://abcnews.go.com/US/baby-lisa-irwin-surveillance-footage-mystery-man/story?id=14795844

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/baby-lisa-parents-talk-14815791

It's standard operating procedure when law enforcement needs to question a child. General LE are not equipped or qualified for the gentle task of questioning young children like that and are able to rely CPS to have one of their people do it, then relay the information back to LE in a report.
In the case of a criminal investigation, they often tape the interviews with the children but because of confidentiality laws those interviews, tapes and testimony, with minors, are usually sealed.

Wow, I noticed that about five minutes ago! Tinfoil hat time?

Is that a new video because in the one I have been seeing you can barely make out a form much less a gait to compare it to DB. Please give me the link of the video you are referring to. tia

Is that a new video because in the one I have been seeing you can barely make out a form much less a gait to compare it to DB. Please give me the link of the video you are referring to. tia

Momdetective has links in her post on the "mystery man" thread.

The Police hold a very important card. If they feel there is endangerment to the two remaining children, they can report the family to CPS and then a case must be opened and the family will be investigated as it applies to temporarily removing the remaining children. IMO, they are using that card as leverage, for now.

Just to add, by law teachers, medical professionals, fire & rescue personnel and LE have a requirement to report possible child endangerment, abuse and/or neglect. If that happens CPS must open a case file to investigate the accusations or concerns.

Opening a case does not equate to temporary removal of children. I work as a mentor with a few women who have open cases, but have not had "enough" to have their kids removed.

IMO, DHS would not take the kids away as a leverage technique. They have to maintain the dignity of their office as well. LE could indicate this as a strategy though, you are correct there.

IME (as a foster child/foster parent/child advocate/mentor) they are going to have to see evidence of more than just getting drunk to remove their kids. Emergency removal (most common form of removal, where removal precedes a hearing) requires justifiable indication of "imminent danger". Yes, Lisa went missing- but there is nothing public to indicate the other children are in imminent danger. Getting drunk in your home with kids is not illegal. They will need reason to believe that (sober or drunk) an action she made directly caused harm to come to Lisa, or could cause harm to her boys. Being drunk isn't enough. I do believe it will have to be more than not locking the door.

I know these statements makes me unpopular, but we don't have enough homes to provide perfect homes to all. Especially in this region with the massive meth problem, we are forced to concentrate on situations far more dire than getting drunk with your kids at home. JMO.

I think most people are very shocked at the extreme cases DHS works with.

Getting back to the boys:
With DB saying she was drunk, the boys staying up til 10:30 on a Monday night, and a missing child from the home...I think there is ample reason to open a CPS investigation.

Photos of the initial crime scene will probably document if other dangers existed on the night Lisa was reported missing...(We don't know if LE left these things out; but there is also the possibility that the guns were left out in the open, a wall socket with the fan plugged in was without it's cover plate, and a flammable liquid (cardboard box of wine) was sitting on top of the stove.

DB's son with SB is five.. how old is the other son in the household?

Opening a case does not equate to temporary removal of children. I work as a mentor with a few women who have open cases, but have not had "enough" to have their kids removed.

IMO, DHS would not take the kids away as a leverage technique. They have to maintain the dignity of their office as well. LE could indicate this as a strategy though, you are correct there.

IME (as a foster child/foster parent/child advocate/mentor) they are going to have to see evidence of more than just getting drunk to remove their kids. Emergency removal (most common form of removal, where removal precedes a hearing) requires justifiable indication of "imminent danger". Yes, Lisa went missing- but there is nothing public to indicate the other children are in imminent danger. Getting drunk in your home with kids is not illegal. They will need reason to believe that (sober or drunk) an action she made directly caused harm to come to Lisa, or could cause harm to her boys. Being drunk isn't enough. I do believe it will have to be more than not locking the door.

I know these statements makes me unpopular, but we don't have enough homes to provide perfect homes to all. Especially in this region with the massive meth problem, we are forced to concentrate on situations far more dire than getting drunk with your kids at home. JMO.

I think most people are very shocked at the extreme cases DHS works with.

Just saying that an investigation is to either rule in or rule out the possibility of removing the children. The initial interview is done in order to record if there is reason to remove the children. Interviews are conducted to determine if there is "founded" or "unfounded" evidence of abuse/neglect or endangerment.

When CPS initially talks to a child, the goal is to get the information without the caregivers input. So, in any case, they separate the child from the parents...even if it is only for a few minutes or hours as opposed to days, weeks, months, years or permanently.

Yes, I feel LE holds the card to officially report the Irwin home. If they do that CPS has to open a file. The only time I know of that DHS/Social Workers initiate the opening of cases are when they have been informed by others of concerns or they are a witness to some evidence of abuse or neglect. Then, they too, are required by law to report their concerns to CPS.

(This I know from working in the public system.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melladanielle