Why doesn't CPS take away the minor children?

You're right...it does offend me. YOU personally don't offend me...just the truth of what you said makes me uncomfortable. I just think that there are far too many cases that we hear about every day where CPS doesn't take a child out of the home and then the child dies. It's sickening really! If this isn't enough reason to at least investigate them, then I think that it is a very sad day for the kids.

But it is a catch-22. Sadly, kids are sometimes more at risk in some of the foster homes than they are in their 'abusive' original home. Obviously that is not always true, but just moving a child into a foster home does not assure their safety, unfortunately. And I say that with a heavy heart, as an adoptive mom.

If she wanted her "adult time" to drink "more than 5 drinks", she should NOT have picked the night that JI was not home. Parents are held to a lower standard than other caregivers. Could you imagine a nanny, daycare worker, or anyone else (other than the parent) not being arrested? She had 3 young children in her care and Lisa is gone! I'm shocked that child services has not opened a case.

That's exactly what I think. Even if she is not guilty of doing anything herself, she is at the very least a horrible mother.

I, too, find it odd. Especially in light of DB saying on national tele that she may have been black out drunk with 3 other minor children in the home.

• In the Jhessye Shockley, Missing Arizona Child case: Three remaining siblings were removed from mother’s (Jerice Hunter) home for reasons unknown.

*Sure, CPS could say mommy left the children unattended, but a 13 year old was home. I babysat at 13, along with many of my friends.

Source: http://opalfusionmag.com/2011/10/27/jhessye-shockley-missing-arizona-child/

And, in the Aliyah Lunsford case:

The siblings of missing 3-year-old Aliayah Lunsford from Weston, West Virginia have been removed from the family home on Dennison Street on Saturday, according to the State Journal.

The W.VA. Dept. of Health ad Human Resources did not give a reason.

Continue reading on Examiner.com Aliayah Lunsford: Sibling removed from home of missing Weston girl - National missing persons | Examiner.com http://www.examiner.com/missing-per...rom-home-of-missing-weston-girl#ixzz1cUcI6Ki0

Both recent cases, both children supposedly kidnapped, and all other children removed.

I'm scratching my neck as to why DB and JI still have the two boys.

MOO

Mel

Obviously there were other signs of abuse and neglect, other than the fact that a Mom says she was drinking and MIGHT have blacked out. I don't think the children were taken because another child disappeared. They were taken because there were obvious signs of abuse. These children may also have been on CPS radar before the disappearance.

I couldn't find a thread where this should specifically be, so please feel free to move if there is a better place.

I am really surprised that with all that is going on, that these boys have not been removed from the home. I would think that it would be helpful to LE as well in getting them access to the children for interview, etc. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

DB and JI are not even suspects, why on earth would they take away their children? How cruel!!

Exactly. I know no one is going to like when I say this, but truthfully the title of this thread got my blood boiling a little. WHY would CPS remove the children form this home? Because DB admitted that she was drunk that night? Once? (and no, I'm not saying that that was ok for her to do that, I think that was very irresponsible).

I mean seriously, what evidence of abuse or neglect is there to say that these poor kids need to be taken away from their parents? Is there any? I don't see it.

Ok, rant over. I just hate this. :furious:

she admitted to being this drunk once,but how do any of us know this isn't something that happens often? i know this was the first night that JI had worked that shift but if Lisa hadn't of disappeared no one knows if she would have kept doing it when he worked nights.

JMO MOO

There is no proof that the living conditions for the boys is not at standard levels. She admitted being drunk while home with the children. She admitted that it was a possibility that she may have blacked out. If that is enough to remove children from homes, there would be kids taken out of homes all over the country. I am a licensed foster home and trust me-when kids are removed from the home, there is a really good reason. We are talking-the children have not been bathed, parents are selling drugs out of the home, there is verifiable signs of abuse, the home is in squalor, etc... Having a few too many and being-at this point-a victim of a child abduction, is not even close to being grounds to remove children from their home.

And allowing their children to be videoed trick or treating by one camera that was arranged exclusively in exchange for allowing the media to follow their kids everywhere is hardly child abuse.

There is no evidence of abuse or neglect in the home, other than the mother admitting she drank 5 or more glasses of wine in one evening and entertained the fact that she may have blacked out. Just not enough. Sorry.

Obviously there were other signs of abuse and neglect, other than the fact that a Mom says she was drinking and MIGHT have blacked out. I don't think the children were taken because another child disappeared. They were taken because there were obvious signs of abuse. These children may also have been on CPS radar before the disappearance.

Respectfully...she didn't say she was "drinking." She said she was drunk. So drunk, in fact, that now her child is missing.

Exactly. I know no one is going to like when I say this, but truthfully the title of this thread got my blood boiling a little. WHY would CPS remove the children form this home? Because DB admitted that she was drunk that night? Once? (and no, I'm not saying that that was ok for her to do that, I think that was very irresponsible).

I mean seriously, what evidence of abuse or neglect is there to say that these poor kids need to be taken away from their parents? Is there any? I don't see it.

Ok, rant over. I just hate this. :furious:

That is neglect...being blackout drunk (admittedly) while caring for three minor children, one a sick infant is neglect and sufficient reason for opening a CPS investigation.

http://library.adoption.com/articles/definitions-of-child-abuse-and-neglect-kansas.html
'Neglect' means acts or omissions by a parent, guardian or person responsible for the care of a child resulting in harm to a child or presenting a likelihood of harm and the acts or omissions are not due solely to the lack of financial means of the child's parents or other custodian. Neglect may include but shall not be limited to:

Failure to provide the child with food, clothing or shelter necessary to sustain the life or health of the child;

Failure to provide adequate supervision of a child

But it is a catch-22. Sadly, kids are sometimes more at risk in some of the foster homes than they are in their 'abusive' original home. Obviously that is not always true, but just moving a child into a foster home does not assure their safety, unfortunately. And I say that with a heavy heart, as an adoptive mom.

Katydid-as an adoptive mom myself, I couldn't agree more. I have seen some cases of foster children being so neglected and abused. It's not always a safe place. It's a slippery slope to begin removing kids from their homes with no proof of anything criminal or abusive going on in the home. And I'm sorry, but admitting to drinking 5 glasses or more of wine and possibly blacking out just isn't enough.

If we can take DB at her word, then we can see evidence of neglect. She put her sick infant into her crib at 6:40 pm, and never checked on her again, before falling into a drunken slumber, without locking the front door or closing the window. She was drunk enough to not hear an abductor, even with the baby monitor on. I think that is evidence that she was pretty negligent that evening. imoo

If they took children away from their parents for getting drunk I can't even imagine how many children would be in foster care!!

Obviously? How does anyone know there were obvious reasons or there were signs of abuse and neglect in the other 2 cases? :waitasec:

In this case, there are OBVIOUS reasons. Mommy was blackout drunk whilst caring for 3 other minor children.

MOO

Mel

Katydid-as an adoptive mom myself, I couldn't agree more. I have seen some cases of foster children being so neglected and abused. It's not always a safe place. It's a slippery slope to begin removing kids from their homes with no proof of anything criminal or abusive going on in the home. And I'm sorry, but admitting to drinking 5 glasses or more of wine and possibly blacking out just isn't enough.

I agree that it is not enough to take the children, but I think it should be enough to open a file and monitor them for awhile. She put a sick infant into her crib, then got drunk and ignored her totally. That sucks, imo.

If they took children away from their parents for getting drunk I can't even imagine how many children would be in foster care!!

If one of their children went missing while they were passed out drunk, I would think they should go to Foster Care as well.

I agree that it is not enough to take the children, but I think it should be enough to open a file and monitor them for awhile. She put a sick infant into her crib, then got drunk and ignored her totally. That sucks, imo.

That's what my thought is. At the very least...an investigation...

In all seriousness, if I was black out drunk and my child disappeared, I would absolutely expect CPS to remove my other children.

Many parents get drunk...but not many have strangers come into their home and snatch their children! Maybe if mommy was sober she'd be alert enough to hear someone!

MOO

Mel

ETA: DB also failed to provide the basic security measures for her children as well, by admitting to leaving the window open, front door open, while proceeding to get hammered. What if there was a house fire or one of the children got sick. She was in no condition to handle even the most minor of crisis'.

I know people aren't going to agree with the above, but that is my opinion as a foster parent and child advocate. It's JMO, and you don't have to agree. :)

As a Foster Parent, Child Advocate and 25 plus year DFCS worker I can say that in GA and FL children have been taken out of the home for just such behavior. It is well within the statute for child neglect, what DB has admitted to...I do believe that because the children are not left alone with DB at this time, they may be watching and waiting. IF JI were to continually knowingly leave a woman to care for minor children that drinks to blackout stage...he too could find a case opened....just saying.

If CPS took away all kids that WE think should be taken away, there would only be 2 kids on my street. Parents are neglectful, don't watch them like they should, yet CPS would say because they are fed, clothed, a clean bed to sleep in and no signs of abuse, they should stay where they are.

IF DB is proven to be involved in this, THEN and only then will CPS step in and make other arrangements for the boys. For hers, that would probably mean he would be sent back to his Dad. For JI's son, he may get to keep him as long as DB isn't around.

she admitted to being this drunk once,but how do any of us know this isn't something that happens often? i know this was the first night that JI had worked that shift but if Lisa hadn't of disappeared no one knows if she would have kept doing it when he worked nights.

JMO MOO

Just wanted to add that in the interview, the one she admits to the drinking, she stated that she did it regularly 2-3 times per week. She stated that she may have blacked out and she doesn't think that she has a drinking problem.
If she drinks and JI cares for the children it's a different situation.
Removing children isn't the only option. I just think a case should be opened and the situation investigated. IMO, it's in the best interest of the children.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mhenderson
Back