CA - Natalie Wood, 43, drowned off California coast, 29 Nov 1981

It sound to me like the Captain was somewhat of a moocher ala Cedric on the Real Housewives of Beverly Hills. He got lucky and got in. He also identified NWs body at the coroner's office because RW was too overwhelmed to do it. So I guess RW felt he owed him something. Then when they fell apart he sucked into Lana Wood and she was pestering him for details from the night. Who knows maybe she plied him with alcohol and he started "remembering" things and then got stuck in his story.

Also the book written, I'm sure his friend Marti Rulli was trying to convince him that this would be a best seller etc.

It must be hard to give up the luster of Hollywood when you were so close to it all. Look at Cedric, he tried to blackmail Lisa by saying he'd sell lies to the press if she didn't pay him off.

This guy is a total loser. I can't believe people actually give him credibility.

I too remember this story very well and the life o Natlie Wood and RJ and Natalie's younger sister Lana. It wouldn't surprise me if Lana isn't in on this as well. She was always in her sister's shadow, they didn't have the best of friendship for many years, hence why RJ didn't allow the girls to see her after Natalie's death. I'm sure it was Natalie's wishes he was fulfilling. He also got custody of not only his daughter with Natalie but Natalie's daughter from a prior marriage and raised her as his own.

Not to blame the victim, but if you can't swim, or are afraid of dark water, what are you doing on a boat? Also, alot of drinking went on by all and as someone else said Christopher Walken gives me the creeps. There's been made mention of a triangle love affair, REALLY, when you're married to Robert Wagner, who would want that funny looking man Walken.

I think some people will do anything for their 15 minutes!

I think it's entirely possible that it's both, hard as that is to believe- I think he's beginning to tell the truth now (for whatever reason), and I think he has lousy credibility because of his past lies and helping Robert Wagner cover up, and I also think he is scared of Robert Wagner and that's why he wasn't more forthcoming in the interview clip I saw...
The problem is, that when a past liar suddenly decides to tell the truth, nobody wants to believe him, like the boy who cried wolf!!!

Anything Lana Wood says is baloney to me. A. SHE WASN'T THERE.

um, neither was the other sister (olga?) who's statement you posted as "proof" RW was innocent... kinda hypocritical reasoning then if you ask me
:banghead:

B. Natasha Gregson Wagner wants nothing to do with her.

have to wonder what RW has been saying to her about lana then -- as other posters have pointed out.

C. Natalie Woods other sister thinks she's an opportunist who is milking the story to make money.

so one sister is credible but the other not? as i stated above, neither was there. i wonder if olga was paid for her statement to rumorfix-- the one you posted?

Also Lana Wood wasn't some bereaved sister. When they told her Natalie was dead she didn't react at all and went upstairs and washed her hair.
She tried to explain her way out of it by writing a book that capitalized on her relationship with Natalie. She's not this concerned sister that she tries to make herself out to be.

link please?

Either way the Captain was remiss in his duty.

what "duty"? he wasn't in charge of the boat. RW was! he did what RW told him to do... as i posted earlier in this thread.

RW was allegedly drunk, on quaaludes (given to him by the captain which the captain fully admits to doing) and not in charge on the boat.

again, of course RW was in charge... it was HIS boat.

However if the captain suspected foul play why didn't he slip off to the deck and call it in?

i believe other posters have suggested answers to this already.

totally switching subject now... i tried to see if my local library had copies of "splendour in the grass", "gypsy" and "daisy clover" b/c i've never seen them... does anyone have links for sites online to see them? please and thanks!

I still don't know what to make of any or all of this. But this has been one question that has bothered me.

Where were the daughters? After all it was Thanksgiving week / weekend. It was the Saturday after Thanksgiving. So, did RW and NW have dinner with the girls? Were they off at school somewhere? Maybe they (the girls) stayed with the grandparents? I just find it odd that there has been no mention of where their girls were for that weekend - it being a holiday / Thanksgiving weekend and all. KWIM?

That has nothing to do with what happened to Natalie - just a question that I have and am curious about, that's all.

I still don't know what to make of any or all of this. But this has been one question that has bothered me.

Where were the daughters? After all it was Thanksgiving week / weekend. It was the Saturday after Thanksgiving. So, did RW and NW have dinner with the girls? Were they off at school somewhere? Maybe they (the girls) stayed with the grandparents? I just find it odd that there has been no mention of where their girls were for that weekend - it being a holiday / Thanksgiving weekend and all. KWIM?

That has nothing to do with what happened to Natalie - just a question that I have and am curious about, that's all.

According to GNGS and Lana Wood, Natalie & R.J. and the two girls spent Thanksgiving with Natalie's family. Natasha was upset that Natalie was going away that weekend. Natalie considered bringing the girls along, but in the end, partly due to the weather, decided against it. Natasha stayed with friends -- not sure about Courtney.

Also, there were supposed to be more guests on the cruise, but they all canceled except Christopher Walken.

One thing that impressed me about GNGS is that although there are plenty of interesting anecdotes about Dennis' time with Natalie and R.J., it is not full of salacious details or innuendo. In fact, both R.J. and Natalie are portrayed in a positive light. Dennis is clearly conflicted about his warm feelings toward his friend/boss and what he fears may have happened to Natalie on that fateful night.

Right the only reason to cancel the show was that RW was trying to cover up something.

Not that a man lost the love of his life and shut down and was too overwhelmed to deal with his responsibilities.

Makes so much more sense.

Sorry, but that's wrong. CA was cancelled in July of 1981, less than 4 mo's before NW died. He got the lion's share of the 50% after she passed, including any future earnings for syndication, movies, etc.

Can never ignore the fact that mistakes happen, misinformation does happen, there's been a long list of people who have been in prison for many years and then the truth comes out, they are vindicated and set free. Why would this be any different? There are no rumors, Draven passed his LDT, but there is plenty of suspicion that needs to be cleared up.

DD passed a lie detector test. Wonder if RW did??

I still think it is amusing how people are willing to accept this man's story even though it is not corroborated by any of the evidence that night.

CW doesn't back him up, the other boat doesn't match his story, RW doesn't and the forensic information doesn't corroborate his story.

But just because it is juicy gossip people are taking it seriously.

I don't see why his story is any more suspect than Wagner's. Who is merely accepting it? I don't "accept" it any more than I do RW's or CW's stories, which are just as unsubstantiated and RW's changed in numerous ways over the years, also. CW was passed out. The other boat? What doesn't match -- that the Captain doesn't state he heard her crying out for help? Maybe his music drowned (ouch) it out -- maybe she was too far away from their boat for him to hear.

I think people take it seriously because there have always been questions and suspicions. Always.

Why do you give RW a pass on not calling authorities/rescue earlier? That is a huge reason I suspect him. That is, on its face, suspect.

Eve

The other boat says that they heard someone say "Don't worry we're coming to get you" and that Natalie's crying went on for more than 15 minutes.

The captain has been rumored to say that RW said "Leave her there teach her a lesson."

How is the captain in any way not guilty of contributing to her death. He convicts himself by his own words.

Chewy, your questions are valid. And that's exactly why a deeper investigation needs to be done. Dennis Davern is willing to talk with investigators, as is the witness from the other boat who reported hearing Natalie's cries for help. Hopefully Robert Wagner, Christopher Walken and any other witnesses will be also be willing to tell the whole truth to investigators this time around.

la_cavalière;7391854 said:
Chewy, your questions are valid. And that's exactly why a deeper investigation needs to be done. Dennis Davern is willing to talk with investigators, as is the witness from the other boat who reported hearing Natalie's cries for help. Hopefully Robert Wagner, Christopher Walken and any other witnesses will be also be willing to tell the whole truth to investigators this time around.

A deeper investigation will cost a fortune. For what?
Will anything REALLY prove what happened that night?

There will be no physical evidence. The captain has admitted he was drunk and using drugs when it occurred.

What would be the best outcome?

A lengthy, costly investigation that will not result in a conviction?

I just don't see the point.

There will be no physical evidence. The captain has admitted he was drunk and using drugs when it occurred.

If it were my loved one who drowned after a bitter fight with her husband, I would want a full investigation, even after all these years. That's what should have been done in the first place. Unfortunately, you're right -- with faded memories, degraded forensics, unwilling witnesses and that pesky statute of limitations, her death will likely remain a mystery.

They were all drinking, yes, but as far as we know there were no drugs that evening. The four had just returned from spending the afternoon and evening at the restaurant on the island. The Quaaludes were the night before.

Originally Posted by Kimberlyd125

BBM.

What would be the point?

The point would be justice for Natalie, and her (non-guilty) loved ones.

And the point would that anyone responsible for her death would be held accountible in a court of law. With adjustments made for those who come forward with the truth, willingly.

The point would be that it's not OK to kill anyone nor thru negligence let anyone die.

There are moral points, and legal points.

Many points.

Thinking empathetically, I find it difficult to understand how anyone could think that just becuz it happened a long time ago, that whatever happened doesn't matter now.

If Natalie was your mother/sister/daughter/friend/grand-daughter/lover/wife/cousin/aunt/you get my drift, what would you want? :waitasec:

BBM.

What would be the point?

And the point would that anyone responsible for her death would be held accountible in a court of law. With adjustments made for those who come forward with the truth, willingly.

The point would be that it's not OK to kill anyone nor thru negligence let anyone die.

Many points.

It's sad but I highly expect that if these people weren't celebrities, there might have been a much more thorough investigation into this case way back then.

Just my hunch.

la_cavalière;7392139 said:
If it were my loved one who drowned after a bitter fight with her husband, I would want a full investigation, even after all these years. That's what should have been done in the first place. Unfortunately, you're right -- with faded memories, degraded forensics, unwilling witnesses and that pesky statute of limitations, her death will likely remain a mystery.

They were all drinking, yes, but as far as we know there were no drugs that evening. The four had just returned from spending the afternoon and evening at the restaurant on the island. The Quaaludes were the night before.

bolded by me.

Actually, on page 146 of Goodbye Natalie, Goodbye Splendour, Davern states that when he and CW left the restaurant and went back to the Splendour to get two bottles of Soave Bolla and bring them back to the restaurant (RJ was not happy with the restaurant's wine selection), CW asked Dennis if he wanted to smoke a joint and he said "sure". So I guess that Dennis and CW smoked a joint that evening. Interestingly, CW said he hoped they didn't need two bottles because he hoped the evening wouldn't last that long.

I too remember this story very well and the life o Natlie Wood and RJ and Natalie's younger sister Lana. It wouldn't surprise me if Lana isn't in on this as well. She was always in her sister's shadow, they didn't have the best of friendship for many years, hence why RJ didn't allow the girls to see her after Natalie's death. I'm sure it was Natalie's wishes he was fulfilling. He also got custody of not only his daughter with Natalie but Natalie's daughter from a prior marriage and raised her as his own.

Not to blame the victim, but if you can't swim, or are afraid of dark water, what are you doing on a boat? Also, alot of drinking went on by all and as someone else said Christopher Walken gives me the creeps. There's been made mention of a triangle love affair, REALLY, when you're married to Robert Wagner, who would want that funny looking man Walken.

I think some people will do anything for their 15 minutes!

BBM

OMG! My sentiments exactly! Christopher Walken has always given me the creeps, even in his younger years. When the news about Natalie's death broke, along with rumors she may have been having a "relationship" with the guy, I couldn't imagine it. As you say, Walken over Wagner? :eek:

Then there were the bizarre rumors of Wagner with Walken! Surely RJWagner could do better 30 years ago! So could Natalie. Please don't bring up that a person's looks shouldn't matter. It's not just his looks that are creepy, it's his entire persona. :nerves: :cow:

In looking at the whole picture, I admit there was something shady going on that night and no one wanted it to get out. It bothers me immensely that the "captain - book writer" has waited all this time before coming forward. How does he step forward? With a book. Now he's yakking up a storm hoping he can sell it as an e-book, a movie, or whatever. Plus, he was drunk that night, claims he lied to the police, and passed out drugs to people aboard a vessel where he was captain. Yes, this guy sounds real credible. :shakehead:

Lana Wood. She and Natalie were estranged back in the 1960s when I was reading movie magazines. She also has written a book. Who is she kidding?

Robert Wagner. His story has changed. He's written a book, too - but it wasn't all about the night Natalie died, nor was it all about Natalie. Oops! He didn't dedicate the book to his dead wife, instead he dedicated it to other women (living wife, living daughters, etc.) in his life. He must be guilty. :rolleyes: I think he looks just as bad as the rest of the folks in this mess. Maybe more. He was the husband, he did break a wine bottle, etc. Unfortunately, the whole situation is suspect.

Looks like Walken has missed an opportunity. People are dying to hear his side of what happened that night. He could make a fortune with a book right now. Too bad he didn't know the case would be re-opened. He could be cashing in as we write this thread.

There are also the people who claimed they heard Natalie's cries for help that night. Yet LE didn't take them seriously, no thought of foul play. I wonder why? Could it be that instead of investigating where the voice was coming from after no help came, they went back to sleep...for 30 years. Sure they told LE about it but why not be more emphatic that something was amiss? Why not insist on a more thorough investigation of the voice in the night who claimed help was on the way but didn't come. Thirty years later they are talking on TV. Why not do that 30 years ago?

About voices on the water, voices carry. It's sometimes difficult to tell where voices are coming from on the open water depending on the wind. There was loud music compliments of the captain, yet no one else heard loud arguing, a bottle smashing, a woman being beaten up. Okay. Maybe the boat was somewhat soundproof. It bothers me that the people on the other boat heard calls for help, heard someone say they were coming to help the person in trouble, yet the "ear witnesses" couldn't be bothered to see if the person had actually been found.

With all these factors, I'm not at all surprised LE couldn't build a case one way or another, except to claim accidental drowning. It's all too bizarre from start to finish. Poor Natalie didn't have a chance in that environment. I'm sickened that she was allowed to drift in the water for perhaps hours. So many people at fault. Drinks, drugs, possible triangles, a captain who gave his passenger drugs, neighboring boaters who couldn't be troubled.

Like you said, some people will do anything for their 15 minutes.

ETA:

Since others have listed their favorite Natalie movies, I'll add mine:

Miracle on 34th Street (loved the "monkey" scene with Kris, Nat was adorable)

Love With The Proper Stranger

Gypsy

I've been up far too late, no sense in going to bed now, as I've been reading old newspaper accounts at GenealogyBank. A link won't help if you don't have a subscription.

Marilyn Wayne, the woman on the yacht Capricorn, said she heard a woman cries at 11:45 pm Saturday. The cries lasted until 12:10 am Sunday. They were coming from the direction of the Wood/Wagner yacht Splendour. Their yachts were moored about 150-feet apart in Isthmus Cove on Santa Catalina Island's north side, according to Harbor Master Doug Oudin. Only one other boat was nearby, although 75 to 80 were moored in the cove Saturday night, said Oudin.

After Ms Wayne heard someone say, "We're coming to get you", she went back to sleep.

paraphrased

The Augusta Chronicle
Augusta, Georgia
Friday Morning, 4 December 1981
"Boater says screams heard before Natalie Wood's death"
Can't make out the page number

Are these the times she is saying? I thought she is now saying they were earlier and the screams lasted longer?

About these "boaters". How could they ignore cries for help? Cries which lasted 25 minutes, according to this report? Even if they heard someone say they were going to help, how could these "ear witnesses" ignore the situation?

I've been around water and boats my whole life, including boats where parties were going on, and I know one thing a boater never should ignore is someone's cry for help, especially from someone in the water!!! Why did they not turn on their search lights and really take a good look? Or any lights? A flashlight? Why not search that water to be sure someone was assisting the person in trouble? Why not call the Coast Guard or Harbor Master repeatedly until help showed up? No, they just went to bed. Talk about negligence!

So we've got a "captain", other boaters, the husband/boat owner, and no one lifts a finger, or a leg to jump in, to check on this woman who is overboard? They couldn't even toss in a life preserver? Have those people never learned water and boat safety? Come on!

I've also brushed up on dear sister Lana's background. Shall we say a bit unstable? I don't find her credible, sorry. Her mother called her "headstrong". I guess that would be a good word for a daughter who was married fives times before she turned 30!

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lana_Wood"]Lana Wood - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

BBM.

What would be the point?

Many points.

I think you missed my point.

There will never be justice for Natalie IMO.

How would they ever convict anyone for this? No evidence.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OccasionalMallard
Back