TN TN - Karen Swift, 44, Dyersburg, 30 Oct 2011 - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would be nice to know if the cloths were found neatly folded and placed in or under the brush, which ever the case might be or as if the clothing appeared to be just thrown and maybe located in two separate locations several feet away from each other.

The condition of the clothing could tell if they were possibly removed with force if they were torn or dirt was found on the knees or elbows indicate a struggle.

If the cloths were found neatly folded I doubt an abduction took place.

JMO

I read somewhere, I think it was Karen's friend statement, that her clothes were neatly folded on the ground.

I would love to know if her tire was slashed or the air let out. Also cannot forget the RSO's in that are.

While I do think foul play is the most likely scenario, I'd like to present an alternative theory.

Perhaps she ran off with a boyfriend who wrecked the marriage. What makes me think this is a possibility is how her clothing was found near the car. That's the strangest aspect of the case. One would think a kidnapper would get his victim into his car before worrying about her clothing being removed.

So maybe she wore her casual clothing while she left her house because she wouldn't have wanted to be seen by her husband in the nicer clothing and have to answer his nosey questions or put up with his angry reaction. Then, she changed into the nicer clothing away from home so she could look nice for the boyfriend and discarded the casual clothing, took her purse with her, and rode off into the moonlight to start her new life with her new man.

Karen has said that she was not interested in dating, but that she put her kids first and was focused on starting a new life for herself and them. I rather doubt she would leave a sick child to run off with a man and not take anything - not even her clothes.

Earlier it was reported that the clothes were her work-out clothes which she kept folded, in the backseat of the car.

I do agree with your 'foul play' theory. moo

I actually wish that she did run off, as weird as it sounds...
Then, she would be alive. In my heart, I know that she would not do that.

Sheriff Box issued a statement on the Find Karen FB page. Nothing new, of course, but letting everyone know that they are still investigating and searching...

Karen Swift Missing Mom of 4
Dec 3, 2011 UPDATE from Sheriff Jeff Box - "The Investigation into the disappearance of Karen Johnson Swift is still an active investigation using many resources and utilizing investigative techniques that could be helpful to the Investigation. Our agency has been receiving results from the many items of evidence that was sent to the lab. The results do appear that they will be helpful to the Investigation and we are still very thoroughly looking at the case and all evidence. Currently, it still will not be beneficial to release the results, and making all the evidence public will not help us solve this case. While the lab results come in we are going over not only the evidence but are reviewing all previous interviews, to document any inconsistancies in any of the interviews, reinterviewing and have new interviews setup in an attempt to gather more information and evidence. Searchers cleared another area wednesday, and have been and will search any new areas that we recieve leads on or any area that becomes an additional area of interest. Our agency would like to release more information at this time, and does expect to release more info soon but not until we know it will not be detrimental to the case.
Ms. Swift is entered NCIC as a missing person and entered in the NamUS System which is the National Missing and Unidentified Missing Persons System. As a precaution her photograph, dental records and DNA comparisions are being processed to be input into that system. The NamUS system is used by law enforcement agencies and investigators to search nationwide for missing and unidentified persons."

But the car may be staged as a crime scene...especially if the person who said they saw you walk away has a motive.

Yes, but legally a judge might not be able to use that to issue a warrant.

The car is considered a crime scene, though, and that gives me hope that they will discover what happened. I think they are doing a good job, actually.

While I do think foul play is the most likely scenario, I'd like to present an alternative theory.

Perhaps she ran off with a boyfriend who wrecked the marriage. What makes me think this is a possibility is how her clothing was found near the car. That's the strangest aspect of the case. One would think a kidnapper would get his victim into his car before worrying about her clothing being removed.

So maybe she wore her casual clothing while she left her house because she wouldn't have wanted to be seen by her husband in the nicer clothing and have to answer his nosey questions or put up with his angry reaction. Then, she changed into the nicer clothing away from home so she could look nice for the boyfriend and discarded the casual clothing, took her purse with her, and rode off into the moonlight to start her new life with her new man.

I don't really understand your theory. She ran off with a honey and never wanted to speak to her children again? That doesn't exactly jive with the fact that her daughter was able to call her earlier in the evening to be taken home from a slumber party. Past behavior is the best predictor of future behavior, so why would she suddenly want to leave her children behind? She was asking for a divorce anyway - why leave?

Here4myfriend - appreciated the latest news info as well as all your posts, could you possibly post a link for the Dec 3rd Jeff Box news.

I don't really understand your theory. She ran off with a honey and never wanted to speak to her children again? That doesn't exactly jive with the fact that her daughter was able to call her earlier in the evening to be taken home from a slumber party. Past behavior is the best predictor of future behavior, so why would she suddenly want to leave her children behind? She was asking for a divorce anyway - why leave?

It just reminds me a lot of what happened with the mom of one of my childhood friends. I used to go over to his house a lot, especially on the weekends, when we were in fifth and sixth grade. His mom was very nice, seemed normal, and seemed like a great mother to my friend and his younger brother. Then, she abruptly left her family for another man. It was very sudden. Foul play wasn't suspected and everyone seemed to know what happened. My mom was the one who told me why she left. She's still alive, because she facebooked me a few months ago, even though I haven't seen her in 23 years or so. I haven't spoken with her son since college.

And the thing is, not every man is accepting of children. I know several women who have given custody over to their children's father just because having children makes it considerably more difficult to land a new man. I don't date single moms anymore, even though I did when I was younger. Some women do abandon their children.

Her reason for divorce could be a possible indicator of why she disappeared. If she wanted a divorce because it was an abusive relationship, I think it makes it more likely her husband murdered her. If she wanted a divorce because her husband wasn't making enough money or because he wasn't showing her enough affection, that could possibly make it more likely another man had already been lined up.

While I do think it's most likely that she met with foul play, I wanted to present the above theory because it is something that in fact does occasionally happen in our society.

bbm

Hi, when you say "took her purse with her", is that part of your theory? As far as I know we don't know if she took her purse or not. Her cell phone is missing but I don't recall anything mentioned about her purse, wallet.

Anybody know?

IMO the kind of mom who goes to pick her sick child up from a sleepover in the middle of the night is not the kind of mom to take off and leave her children to worry.
She could have made the ex pick the daughter up or told her to wait til morning but she didn't. She cared and so she went.
She has adult sons, I can't believe she wouldn't slip a note in the mail to one of them telling them she is sorry it had to be this way but she is safe and not to worry.

IMO the kind of mom who goes to pick her sick child up from a sleepover in the middle of the night is not the kind of mom to take off and leave her children to worry.
She could have made the ex pick the daughter up or told her to wait til morning but she didn't. She cared and so she went.
She has adult sons, I can't believe she wouldn't slip a note in the mail to one of them telling them she is sorry it had to be this way but she is safe and not to worry.

I agree.

The only way I could see the running off theory is if perhaps she was being threatened by the ex for full custody of the girls. Maybe she wanted to get her life together and then fight him in court but even that theory is stretching it. I don't think she would abandon her children, imo

Given what we know of the case (even though some of that information has been a little confusing), I think it's clear that Karen has vanished from somewhere in or near her home. I don't think she sneaked out of the house, drove 1/4 mile, flattened the tire, hid her clothes in a bush and left her family to worry. In fact, the clothes in the bush is the real problem for me. I strongly suspect that she wasn't wearing those clothes, which means that the person that made her disappear had access to the clothes ... which means that person was in the home. If she was wearing those clothes and was attacked by a random stranger, she would be found near the clothes - as random strangers don't stage crimes.

I am behind on this case. Are there any theories as to why her workout clothes would have been removed from the car and placed on the ground? TIA:)

I am behind on this case. Are there any theories as to why her workout clothes would have been removed from the car and placed on the ground? TIA:)

Hi Neesaki....as far as I know, that has not ever been confirmed.
IMO.
They are releasing no information at this time.

BBM

I guess it depends on if you are guilty of being involved in the disappearance or not that determines whether you allow LE to search your house and property without a search warrant.

JMO

So in your opinion, anytime someone refuses to allow a search of their home, they are guilty?? Have you ever been in a house after they've done a thorough search? It's a wreck, they sometimes totally destroy furniture and furnishings. And they are not obligated to put everything back together OR to replace items that are ruined.
No sarcasm intended, just trying to make a point.
I was advised by a pretty smart person once that if anything ever happened in my home that was questionable, to NEVER allow LE to search without a warrant. I'm not sure I would agree with that premise, but he may have a good reason for refusing.
IMO, if LE thought there was any reason to suspect that something happened to Karen in the house, they could get a warrant. Judges are usually pretty cooperative when it comes to searches, but they do need probable cause. I assume they don't have sufficient cause at this point.

What do you think Karen's brother meant when he said her friends are a little different? Do you think he was referring to the fact that maybe she had some female friends who were gay?
JOHNSON: I know she`s got some friends that are -- they`re a little different, I guess. I don`t know how --
http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1111/21/ng.01.html

What do you think Karen's brother meant when he said her friends are a little different? Do you think he was referring to the fact that maybe she had some female friends who were gay?
JOHNSON: I know she`s got some friends that are -- they`re a little different, I guess. I don`t know how --
http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1111/21/ng.01.html

I've been wondering about that too. The first thing that came to my mind was that the friends were a little alternative. If he meant they were gay he used odd wording.

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk

Given what we know of the case (even though some of that information has been a little confusing), I think it's clear that Karen has vanished from somewhere in or near her home. I don't think she sneaked out of the house, drove 1/4 mile, flattened the tire, hid her clothes in a bush and left her family to worry. In fact, the clothes in the bush is the real problem for me. I strongly suspect that she wasn't wearing those clothes, which means that the person that made her disappear had access to the clothes ... which means that person was in the home. If she was wearing those clothes and was attacked by a random stranger, she would be found near the clothes - as random strangers don't stage crimes.

If I remember correctly, Karen's friend said that the clothes found folded on the ground were in the car previously. She said that those are the clothes she used when changing at her gym? Does anyone recall this or have a link for that info?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojo53