TN - Gail Nowacki Palmgren, 44, Signal Mountain, 30 April 2011 - #13

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some1Nose, I think those are good questions. Rather than go through them one at a time, though, I'll say for starters just what if Gail really were paranoid and suffering from mental illness? That would answer a lot of your questions in a different way than from the domestic violence perspective. What if there were various areas of their lives that MP wanted to try to protect from public scrutiny, such as the details of his infidelity and her mental illness? This could account for many of your questions. Not that all his choices were good ones, but cheating on the wife and wanting to keep family matters private is a far stretch from making her disappear.

I see all the DV patterns as well as anybody, and for a long time I looked at the case from that angle almost exclusively. But what I also see, that troubles me greatly, is that the media manipulation has been awful and that people wanting to tell "another side of the story" have been bullied into silence to a great extent. It's easier to argue a point successfully without opposition.

The power of suggestion is a powerful thing, and I wonder how much of the available information has been tainted by it. JMO and all related disclaimers.

I agree.

What I can't get past is why the need for so much power of suggestion. Media is hungry? Or is it closer to LE? To family? To Gail herself? To her friends? No matter who, I suppose... but why? kwim?

Just wondering what others are thinking about next week's news conference being held at the courthouse and after Gail's services? Any significance there?

Since Matt showed up to the family home after Gail left, was it possible that he traveled up East Brow to get to the house? Was he coming from his mother's house?

To me, it looks like Gail lost control of the vehicle after she hit the rock. It also looks like she was going faster than the speed limit and in some ways it looked purposeful. Yet, it could have been an accident (animal runs in front of her jeep). She did voice to friends and family that someone may be following her, so I can't help but think this may come into play too. I can't get over the trajectory of her vehicle. It seems odd, especially since she was not on a curve.

Just wondering what others are thinking about next week's news conference being held at the courthouse and after Gail's services? Any significance there?

Like you, I'm wondering what it means too...JMHO

Since Matt showed up to the family home after Gail left, was it possible that he traveled up East Brow to get to the house? Was he coming from his mother's house?

To me, it looks like Gail lost control of the vehicle after she hit the rock. It also looks like she was going faster than the speed limit and in some ways it looked purposeful. Yet, it could have been an accident (animal runs in front of her jeep). She did voice to friends and family that someone may be following her, so I can't help but think this may come into play too. I can't get over the trajectory of her vehicle. It seems odd, especially since she was not on a curve.

IMHO...I cannot think of a reason he would be traveling on that portion of East Brow to get to his residence especially since the "W" Road was closed...

IIRC .. Didn't he claim he was with his mother or running errands for her that morning... IF the "W" was closed he would have had to have come up the front of the mtn to get to his residence...Either that or Roberts Mill Road...And IMHO that would definitely be out of his way..JMHO

ETA..To my knoweldge no one has mentioned there was any sign of a BIG rock being dragged from the edge of the road to the bluff.. IMHO If she lost control when she hit that rock there would have been evidence of that happening...JMHO

Please stop directing posts at one another. This post lands at random.

But... this is not the same as saying MP refused to allow questioning.

I also wonder... if they had been questioned, would Callie necessarily know about it? I sure hope HCSO doesn't tell her everything.

The sheriff has stated MP cooperated. I can find a link if needed, but I know we've gotten that statement repeatedly from credible sources.

I see the difference between the statements, "they have not been questioned" and "he would not allow them them to be questioned". I honestly do and I don't believe I have heard or read the latter statement. But, I guess what I am thinking is this- In the beginning LE had no idea what happened to Gail. She could have 1. taken off or 2. been involved in an accident-intentional or unfortunate or 3. been harmed by someone. Her 2 children (not toddlers), were 2 of the last people that they know saw and spoke to her in the time period immediately preceding her disappearance. I just cannot imagine that the investigators would not ask to speak to them. So, when I put that together, it just always has caused me to believe that interviewing them was declined. It's not absolute documented proof of anything, it's just the way it appears to me. JMO

FWIW, I dont believe that he could decline for them if LE wanted to question them. I did some checking into different statutes for questioning juvenile witnesses.

The gray area is simply that there was no crime here. From an LE perspective. They clearly could not get warrants to search the houses and or grab computers. It would follow that they could not compel interviews with the children. Any statements were going to have to be made voluntarily....this is JMO.

So, of course this plays to Matt having things to hide therefore not making the children available. If he didnt.

FWIW, I think he had things to hide and I think he lawyered up for a few reasons, but I am not convinced that the reason he did so was because he had his wife killed. We may never know. But, I assume we have some kind of action on his wrongful termination suit, unless I have missed an update on that. And I would wonder what kind of disclosures will be made regarding his work ethics. He was terminated for misuse of company resources, correct? But I have never been 100 percent clear that his misuse applied to his affair.

That is simply my two cents.

I wonder if it is timed to try to keep this week's focus on the funeral planned for Friday. Maybe announced now so people won't think the investigation has been pushed aside? I know that some people have wondered why they would be having a funeral first, before announcing findings of the investigation. Maybe the announcement is to try to calm anybody who is frustrated about that, by naming up when the information will come?

I'm curious about other opinions.

As I see it, no matter what they say, some people will be very upset. VERY upset. Inevitably. I'm glad they aren't announcing anything this week.

HCSO is in a no-win situation, and I have a whole new respect for how tough their jobs are. They will be criticized no matter what they say or how they say it.

IMHO...I cannot think of a reason he would be traveling on that portion of East Brow to get to his residence especially since the "W" Road was closed...

IIRC .. Didn't he claim he was with his mother or running errands for her that morning... IF the "W" was closed he would have had to have come up the front of the mtn to get to his residence...Either that or Roberts Mill Road...And IMHO that would definitely be out of his way..JMHO

ETA..To my knoweldge no one has mentioned there was any sign of a BIG rock being dragged from the edge of the road to the bluff.. IMHO If she lost control when she hit that rock there would have been evidence of that happening...JMHO

I'm just trying to figure how he pulled anything off if he had anything to do with it.

On the rock, I think her jeep could have become inbalanced after hitting it. She could have been on 2 wheels at one point. The back wheel could have hit the rock too, as she drove over it. However, she could have cleared it too, or maybe it wasn't there at the time. I'm just saying she didn't have much time to recover if one of her front wheels launched off that rock.

I wonder if it is timed to try to keep this week's focus on the funeral planned for Friday. Maybe announced now so people won't think the investigation has been pushed aside? I know that some people have wondered why they would be having a funeral first, before announcing findings of the investigation. Maybe the announcement is to try to calm anybody who is frustrated about that, by naming up when the information will come?

I'm curious about other opinions.

As I see it, no matter what they say, some people will be very upset. VERY upset. Inevitably. I'm glad they aren't announcing anything this week.

HCSO is in a no-win situation, and I have a whole new respect for how tough their jobs are. They will be criticized no matter what they say or how they say it.

Yep. Absolutely. No matter what they say, some will be upset and angry. I agree they don't want any of that going on before they lay her to rest. A wise decision in my opinion.

I'm just trying to figure how he pulled anything off if he had anything to do with it.
On the rock, I think her jeep could have become inbalanced after hitting it. She could have been on 2 wheels at one point. The back wheel could have hit the rock too, as she drove over it. However, she could have cleared it too, or maybe it wasn't there at the time. I'm just saying she didn't have much time to recover if one of her front wheels launched off that rock.

IMHO.. In reference to myself I have always felt it was a MFH and still do.. Do I believe he physically did the dirty deed? No, I do not.. I believe he hired someone to do it, and I believe they were hired with Gail's money...
Now, IMHO it's quite possible he could have requested she meet him someplace on the mtn to talk and someone was waiting there for her and overpowered her at that time.. I could be wrong but I think I read something about Hampton Road was partially obstructed due to down trees or power lines during that time..IF true she could have slowed down and been accousted at that point..
I do not believe Gail or her jeep went off the mountain at the time they are saying she did......Like i have stated before there is still a woman claiming she saw Gail late Saturday afternoon....And thats...JMHOOTS.

Yep. Absolutely. No matter what they say, some will be upset and angry. I agree they don't want any of that going on before they lay her to rest. A wise decision in my opinion.

The irony is that, in my opinion, the most people will be upset if MP is not charged with a crime. I believe the majority of people who have followed this case closely really want to see him cuffed. In my opinion, this would be the worst case scenario. The children would lose contact with the parent they have left. I really, really hope MP is cleared, but again, even if LE clears him, I'm afraid the public will never believe it.

If this is ruled as a suicide, some people will be judgmental of Gail. Mental illness carries a stigma unfortunately. It won't be viewed the same as if she'd had a different type of illness, such as a heart or seizure issue, causing her to lose control of the jeep. Some will be angry at the injustice of the "blame the victim" syndrome, as it will be interpreted by some. They will believe LE has been fooled by a set-up. They want to blame somebody though, specifically MP, if not LE. They may interpret suicide as GP's "fault," which is very uncomfortable, so they'll try to find a way around that. To think MP pushed her to suicide will be felt as a little more acceptable and therefore a little more likely a mindset for people IMO. Strangely, I think suicide is the possibility that will infuriate the most people, in different ways.

If this is ruled as an accident, I'm afraid most of the people will be furious at the "injustice" of it all, convinced LE has failed to "catch" a cover-up. Being relieved that the case is closed won't be the predominate atmosphere, I am afraid.

I think that so many who want "justice" mean that they want LE to come to the conclusion they have already determined. And what they hope is that MP will be arrested. This is the possibility that I think will hurt the children the most but will make most of the bystanders feel ready to celebrate. I've read various comments here and there, by people hoping for "good" news, but I don't think they see "good" news the same as I do.

Am I missing something?

The irony is that, in my opinion, the most people will be upset if MP is not charged with a crime. I believe the majority of people who have followed this case closely really want to see him cuffed. In my opinion, this would be the worst case scenario. The children would lose contact with the parent they have left. I really, really hope MP is cleared, but again, even if LE clears him, I'm afraid the public will never believe it.

If this is ruled as a suicide, some people will be judgmental of Gail. Mental illness carries a stigma unfortunately. It won't be viewed the same as if she'd had a different type of illness, such as a heart or seizure issue, causing her to lose control of the jeep. Some will be angry at the injustice of the "blame the victim" syndrome, as it will be interpreted by some. They will believe LE has been fooled by a set-up. They want to blame somebody though, specifically MP, if not LE. They may interpret suicide as GP's "fault," which is very uncomfortable, so they'll try to find a way around that. To think MP pushed her
to suicide will be felt as a little more acceptable and therefore a little more likely a mindset for people IMO. Strangely, I think suicide is the possibility that will infuriate the most people, in different ways.

If this is ruled as an accident, I'm afraid most of the people will be furious at the "injustice" of it all, convinced LE has failed to "catch" a cover-up. Being relieved that the case is closed won't be the predominate atmosphere, I am afraid.

I think that so many who want "justice" mean that they want LE to come to the conclusion they have already determined. And what they hope is that MP will be
arrested. This is the possibility that I think will hurt the children the most but will make most of the bystanders feel ready to celebrate. I've read various comments here and there, by people hoping for "good" news, but I don't think they see "good" news the same as I do.

Am I missing something?

I have a feeling they are going to call it an accident even if they think it may have been a suicide. I'm thinking there is not enough evidence to support calling it a suicide (no note, no words by Gail spoken about it, etc.), so they are probably going to play it safe with the accident conclusion. However, it an't over 'till it's over, so maybe we'll be surprised with their findings. As for MP, I think he will probably move far away as soon as he can, if they call it an accident.

I'd like to add a little something from my earlier post today that is not directed at anyone in particular...

First of all, I have a fair amount of personal experience in the DV field which enables me to have an above average understanding of domestic violence dynamics. Further, personally speaking, noone and nothing sways my own opinions...in this particular case, my life experience gut instincts had pin pointed the catalyst to Gail's tragedy very early on.

I, personally, have never engaged in the, reportedly, negative activity on other sites such as FB. In fact, I have only read and posted on WS and have read articles from some reputable MSM sources as well as LE & court records.

Most of the 'whys' in my previous post were derived from statements/comments made by Gail's sister, Gail's neighbors, law enforcement records & court records, and, of course, from AD who Gail must have trusted since she left the 'altercation video' with AD for safe keeping. In addition, the actions, and lack thereof, of both MP and his hired legal staff have created many 'whys' in my book!

I respect the fact that everyone has a right to their own particular view points; everyone that is except for one VIP...Gail herself, who isn't able to speak on her own behalf...so here we are! MP has his attorneys et al (and that very fact shows MP to be on the defensive)...Gail has her family, her loyal friends and us!

It's sad that Gail never knew she had so many more friends and allies (supporters) than she could have ever imagined!

Rest in peace Dear Lady and Blessings to your Loved Ones!

IMHO.. In reference to myself I have always felt it was a MFH and still do.. Do I believe he physically did the dirty deed? No, I do not.. I believe he hired someone to do it, and I believe they were hired with Gail's money...
Now, IMHO it's quite possible he could have requested she meet him someplace on the mtn to talk and someone was waiting there for her and overpowered her at that time.. I could be wrong but I think I read something about Hampton Road was partially obstructed due to down trees or power lines during that time..IF true she could have slowed down and been accousted at that point..
I do not believe Gail or her jeep went off the mountain at the time they are saying she did......Like i have stated before there is still a woman claiming she saw Gail late Saturday afternoon....And thats...JMHOOTS.

It appears they are going by the cell phone ping drop for their timeline on the jeep going over the bluff. Maybe the jeep with the phone went over without her in it. She was dealt with later.

So many people have followed Gail's case that I think it's only human for people to have come to some sort of opinion about it over time. I believe most people follow their heads AND their hearts when looking at a case like this...again this seems like a perfectly human response. I also believe that we have been honest in trying to determine what is true, and what caused Gail to disappear.

Opinions or hunches are one thing, but I think what most are wanting now is to feel that justice has been done as determined by the evidence. And I think many people are wondering what evidence is there, AND will it be shown?

A quick glance at Webster's says that Evidence is from Latin e-, "out", and videre, "to see". Evidence is information that helps form a conclusion...the basis for believing or not believing. So we wait "to see". Is there evidence to suspect or believe something about Gail's disappearance involved something other a traffic accident? Is there evidence that proves that someone did not do this to her? Do we discuss circumstantial or forensics? Evidence is not always absolute -- correct? It is open to interpretation.

And Justice -- the quality of being just; fair. Having integrity, honesty, decency, uprightness. Conforming to moral rightness in action or attitude -- the upholding of what is right and just. I believe that wanting to see justice in all things is part of humankind.

There is a great quote by George Eliot -- "Justice is like the Kingdom of God; it is not without us as a fact; it is within us as a great yearning." What is it that we are yearning for? Maybe a satisfying closure that allows us to feel that Gail's life received the respect any human life deserves. At the very minimum a full, public disclosure of all the evidence accumulated over these seven plus months, which reasonable people could then weigh and assess for themselves might be a good place to start.

FWIW, I dont believe that he could decline for them if LE wanted to question them. I did some checking into different statutes for questioning juvenile witnesses.

The gray area is simply that there was no crime here. From an LE perspective. They clearly could not get warrants to search the houses and or grab computers. It would follow that they could not compel interviews with the children. Any statements were going to have to be made voluntarily....this is JMO.

So, of course this plays to Matt having things to hide therefore not making the children available. If he didnt.

FWIW, I think he had things to hide and I think he lawyered up for a few reasons, but I am not convinced that the reason he did so was because he had his wife killed. We may never know. But, I assume we have some kind of action on his wrongful termination suit, unless I have missed an update on that. And I would wonder what kind of disclosures will be made regarding his work ethics. He was terminated for misuse of company resources, correct? But I have never been 100 percent clear that his misuse applied to his affair.

That is simply my two cents.

I couldn't agree more, believe09.
The BBM... I REALLY couldn't agree more with.

Although obstensively it appears that way, I have always thought that perhaps there was much more going on behind his termination. And couple that with Gail's fear of someone following her, the alleged $40,000 exchange, the dropping off of the children after the swift trip to AL... Well, idk.

I believe both Matt and Gail were in some kind of additional serious trouble. And while I believe domestic violence may also have been a component...I don't think it was what sent the Jeep over the bluff.

I still can't work my way around the physics of the accident- whether it was a true accident, murder, MFH, suicide- any of the above- none make any sense to me. It seems like the Jeep was dropped out of the air- which I guess in a sense it was. But the speed...idk.

Anyway, I hope like heck that LE shows the scene simulation/recreation as well as explains the cell pings (especially the May 2nd one) and the elevation change. It would help in investigating future missing person + vehicle + cell + GPS cases, and bringing missing persons home earlier.

What a terrible time for Gail's loved ones. :(

[bbm]

Yes. Back to pure physical science. I can't figure out how that would have worked, whether the theory were MP himself or MFH (referencing the portion I bolded). Seems very risky and impractical, considering other options of method and location.

And I can't get away from that 23 minute time frame. Back to the rumor vs. fact thing. Are we sure of this one? I know some posters question whether it is correct. I know it has been in various MSM articles, but I can't say I've heard it directly from any LE interview or press release. Have we?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Curious.tea