CA - Natalie Wood, 43, drowned off California coast, 29 Nov 1981

GNGS is not ranked very high on amazon...

this book was not written to earn money or for attention imo.

btw, to my knowledge, RW has not attempted to sue DD and MR for libel/defamation of character... and celebs are notorious for suing publications like the national enquirer for a lot less than a neglect, assault or murder accusation... so why wouldn't RW sue these authors or try to stop publication/release if all this was untrue??

bolded by me.

If RW sued, it would bring attention back to the incident and RW doesn't want to bring the matter back into the limelight, IMO. He's moved on, and whatever happened, he'd rather have it stay covered up.

I think the press conference brought it back into the limelight.

JMO

If RW sued, it would bring attention back to the incident and RW doesn't want to bring the matter back into the limelight, IMO. He's moved on, and whatever happened, he'd rather have it stay covered up.

maybe. but no way would i allow anyone to suggest such heinous things about me 1) if they weren't true and 2) if i had the money/resources to try to stop it.

DeLuca decided to start an online petition calling for the case to be reopened, and together with Daverns co-author, Marti Rulli, he gathered 800 signatures and sworn statements from Davern and other witnesses.

Probably has been said before, did they approach Deluca and he got it started, a brave man if he is genuine . Really can't see this going very far although something is clearly wrong with this case and the evidence not scrutinized in the first place. If nothing comes of it they have reawakened the memory of it all and that can't be a bad thing. Not finalised yet though, so have to wait and see.

Did she hit her head and become unconscious and drift away , is that what he means . Would not seem to tie in with her cries for help.

sorry kingfisher... been meaning to address this... better late than never:

you are exactly right. both cannot occur in this scenario. it's one or the other...

CW was most likely told the "fell overboard... unconscious" story by RW and he just accepted it as true.

i would believe the witness who heard the cries over CW-- accounts (incl. DD) say he was asleep in his stateroom where he could not hear any cries for help so it would seem he has no first hand knowledge of whatever happened... unlike the witness.

Probably has been said before, did they approach Deluca and he got it started, a brave man if he is genuine

deluca approached them.

from kimberlyd125's link:

In 2009, Davern published a book about Wood’s death, Goodbye Natalie, Goodbye Splendour, and it caught the eye of a Washington, D.C., patent lawyer named Vincent DeLuca, who describes himself as “a fan always bothered by how Natalie died.” DeLuca decided to start an online petition calling for the case to be reopened, and together with Davern’s coauthor, Marti Rulli, he gathered 800 signatures and sworn statements from Davern and other witnesses.

here is the petition... it was submitted to LE in september. so-- instead of the re-opening of the case being anything to do with the 30th anniversary of her death as some thought, it seems just coincidental timing.

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/natalie-wood.html

CW was most likely told the "fell overboard... unconscious" story by RW and he just accepted it as true.

Agree , He had his career to think of also , least said maybe , if he was tied in to any foul play even though he may not have been involved

You wonder how he could give his account of her just falling and knocking her head when he knew they had argued and she had left the boat the night before. She had so many bruises and the fact RW did not even identify her body. I agree I would rather believe the witness account of her shouting for help. Were the bruises conclusively caused by the body being brushed against a boat or jetty, has that information been scrutinized.

Agree , He had his career to think of also , least said maybe , if he was tied in to any foul play even though he may not have been involved

You wonder how he could give his account of her just falling and knocking her head when he knew they had argued and she had left the boat the night before. She had so many bruises and the fact RW did not even identify her body. I agree I would rather believe the witness account of her shouting for help. Were the bruises conclusively caused by the body being brushed against a boat or jetty, has that information been scrutinized.

I think CW just went along with what RW told him. He was just establishing his career at the time and it doesn't seem like he'd want to rock the boat (no pun intended).

I believe that in GNGS Rulli did scrutinize the bruising aspect, and NW's bruises were not in places typical to climbing into and out of a dinghy.

www.enotes.com/antemortem-injuries-reference/antemortem-injuries

If you read this there seems to be the possibility that bruising can occur in other circumstances so the fact that there were injuries would not be relevant to the investigation maybe. She could have been pushed after an argument or fell accidently , either way they just ignored her, left her there as her cries for help were heard by witnesses.

... either way they just ignored her, left her there as her cries for help were heard by witnesses.

i don't think DD would have "ignored" her if he thought she was in any real danger and as such, i don't believe he heard any cries for help.

what i've read about the bruising: they aren't believed to have come from either recreational boating (as you can get tossed around in a boat on choppy water) or from a fall into water, nor attempting to board a dinghy as columbo states.

that link was interesting to read -- thanks!

www.enotes.com/antemortem-injuries-reference/antemortem-injuries

If you read this there seems to be the possibility that bruising can occur in other circumstances so the fact that there were injuries would not be relevant to the investigation maybe. She could have been pushed after an argument or fell accidently , either way they just ignored her, left her there as her cries for help were heard by witnesses.

That is an interesting article. Hmmmm....it's making me wonder about the bruising the coroner found on NW's body. Maybe it was caused by what happens after death, and not injuries before death.

That is an interesting article. Hmmmm....it's making me wonder about the bruising the coroner found on NW's body. Maybe it was caused by what happens after death, and not injuries before death.

do you mean bruises from retrieving her from the water? bringing her to the coroner's office? b/c from what i've read there really was nothing in the water to cause her to bruise once she was in the water...

IDK. considering it was NW --hollywood star and icon-- i'd imagine the LE involved would've treated the body with utmost respect and care.

plus, in GNGS, it's said the bruises/bruising pattern indicates they could've come from someone holding/grabbing her before death...

i wonder if other medical examiners have read the autopsy report and offered their opinion of the bruises? i'd like to see more opinions.

btw, HAPPY NEW YEAR sleuths!!

I think CW just went along with what RW told him. He was just establishing his career at the time and it doesn't seem like he'd want to rock the boat (no pun intended).

I believe that in GNGS Rulli did scrutinize the bruising aspect, and NW's bruises were not in places typical to climbing into and out of a dinghy.

Then he's not a decent human being IMO. It seems like people are treating this like a made up story that she died. If someone actually died I would think a decent person would not just shut up because of their career. I mean supposedly she was his friend. What kind of scum would do that?

Then he's not a decent human being IMO. It seems like people are treating this like a made up story that she died. If someone actually died I would think a decent person would not just shut up because of their career. I mean supposedly she was his friend. What kind of scum would do that?

A decent husband would have called out for a search for his wife, immediately.

I doubt CW really knew exactly what happened. He knew there was fighting. He later knew she was dead. He decided to let things lie and went along with RW's version of things. And so did DD, who, imo, also didn't know exactly what happened. Easier at that time to rationalize all and go with the story.

Eve

do you mean bruises from retrieving her from the water? bringing her to the coroner's office? b/c from what i've read there really was nothing in the water to cause her to bruise once she was in the water...

IDK. considering it was NW --hollywood star and icon-- i'd imagine the LE involved would've treated the body with utmost respect and care.

plus, in GNGS, it's said the bruises/bruising pattern indicates they could've come from someone holding/grabbing her before death...

i wonder if other medical examiners have read the autopsy report and offered their opinion of the bruises? i'd like to see more opinions.

btw, HAPPY NEW YEAR sleuths!!

I was thinking about the article posted by KINGFISHER, and how the bruises could have just been postmortem from blood pooling, etc. You're right, though--in GNGS it did say that the bruising pattern also could indicate someone holding or grabbing her before death. It really would be good to have more opinions on this from other medical examiners--too bad it's too late for them to actually see the body (ugh, hate to say that).

Happy New Year to you, too!

A decent husband would have called out for a search for his wife, immediately.

I doubt CW really knew exactly what happened. He knew there was fighting. He later knew she was dead. He decided to let things lie and went along with RW's version of things. And so did DD, who, imo, also didn't know exactly what happened. Easier at that time to rationalize all and go with the story.

Eve

See this is what I mean. What does RW's behavior have to do with DD's behavior. This man has basically admitted that he knew she fell overboard and left her there to drown.

Then years later he writes a book about how he was complicit in manslaughter and everyone treats him like a hero.

RW can be the most evil man on the planet. DD was not a child when this happened. I don't see why you are all so willing to give him a pass on his admitted behavior just because you want to say RW was worse.

You act as if DD was a helpless child under the influence of the evil and powerful RW who held him captive by some mind control or something.

If someone told me that years ago they knew their friend had fallen overboard on the boat and they basically sat around and got drunk and let her die and then they decided to write a book about it, I'd be absolutely revolted.

I mean what is the difference between this and OJ Simpson's "If I did it" it's repulsive and immoral to support this guy just because he's finally coming clean. It boggles my mind.

Colombo. in GNGS it did say that the bruising pattern also could indicate someone holding or grabbing her before death.

In that case you would think it would have been investigated if she was held so hard that it caused bruises, must have been some force . Wondered if as it says in that article that the body could be bashed against a propeller. I think it said head injuries could occur after death in water, not clear about whether it could happen to other parts of the body. There are articles out there about this if we have time to read.

CHEWY If someone told me that years ago they knew their friend had fallen overboard on the boat and they basically sat around and got drunk and let her die and then they decided to write a book about it, I'd be absolutely revolted.

Who was the strongest and had most influence at that time, the boatman or the Hollywood star.

I was thinking about the article posted by KINGFISHER, and how the bruises could have just been postmortem from blood pooling, etc.

if you google pics of lividity it looks very much different from the bruises as depicted on the autopsy diagram imo.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
not_just_a_phase
Back