TN - Gail Nowacki Palmgren, 44, Signal Mountain, 30 April 2011 - #13

Status
Not open for further replies.
That 440 pound rock was dragged over the cliff, because her jeep hit it at 24 mph. Is that enough to move that rock across the lawn and over the edge of a cliff?

Yep, thats what they are trying to sell us....And w/o a trace of it ever being moved too...
However they stated... not once...not twice... but three times today...

They couldn't realistically animate the crash, because of the lack of evidence

So how they can claim it was a tragic accident is beyond me...JMHO

He says he's always been close to Gail's family? What about the story that he wouldn't let her sister give the children their xmas gifts?

Is he changing history a little here?

http://www.wrcbtv.com/story/16446816/first-on-3-matthew-palmgren-calls-police

Interesting:

Channel 3 has learned Matthew Palmgren called police on the day of his wife's funeral.In a response to an open records request filed by Channel 3, the Signal Mountain Police Department released the report taken on Friday.
The report shows Matthew Palmgren called police to his home at 40 Ridge Rock Drive shortly before 5 pm. He advised officers his wife's sister and her husband refused to leave his property.

http://www.wrcbtv.com/story/16446816/first-on-3-matthew-palmgren-calls-police

Interesting:

Channel 3 has learned Matthew Palmgren called police on the day of his wife's funeral.In a response to an open records request filed by Channel 3, the Signal Mountain Police Department released the report taken on Friday.
The report shows Matthew Palmgren called police to his home at 40 Ridge Rock Drive shortly before 5 pm. He advised officers his wife's sister and her husband refused to leave his property.

But he's so close to them ! ?? (sarcasm)

It's so hard to believe that he was as pro-active in searching for Gail as he claims...

I am having a hard time keeping up with everything being posted. Can anyone tell me if they gave any sort of inventory of what was in the Jeep? I know about the envelope with money for AD, but did they mention anything else? Anything about the bag with AD's laptop and the boat key? TIA if anyone knows.

Ummmm. A jeep pushed a 400+ lb rock over the cliff at 24 mph, and yet there were no digs in the dirt showing a rock going over, and the rock didn't stop the vehicle that was only going 24 mph??? Sorry, doesn't jive to me. Even now, there would be a burrow in the dirt where that rock was pushed over the edge IMHO.

I literally threw up in my mouth when Matt stated that the hardest time in the 8 months was telling his kids that he lost his job. Again, it was about him. Not telling his kids that his mother is missing - because he never really told them that. He told them over and over again over an 8 month time frame that their mother left them to "take a break"; to "calm herself". Do the kids know that she had no money to take a break with? Sorry, but this so called "dad" is tarnishing their mother's memory and creating false memories for them. They will likely grow up believing that their mother was slightly crazy and may have even caused her own demise.

Please don't put me in TO. I just had to vent. I have tried to keep quiet, honestly I have!

I also remember when Gail first went missing and her sister traveled to Chattanooga to look for her that she had to stay at Gail's neighbor's house because MP refused to let them in the home.

I am also confused as to why the news conference was held today--how long had they known that they came to the conclusion that this was a "tragic accident" SOMEBODY out there has to know something. With all this new information I am starting to get things confused. How heavily traveled is the road gail was on at that time of day? A car and a boulder go off in broad daylight and no one saw or hear anything? Had to be quite a sound when she hit the boulder.

I really hope someone out there keeps searching for the truth. I just cannot wrap my head around this being just an accident.

I am having a hard time keeping up with everything being posted. Can anyone tell me if they gave any sort of inventory of what was in the Jeep? I know about the envelope with money for AD, but did they mention anything else? Anything about the bag with AD's laptop and the boat key? TIA if anyone knows.

Not a single word to my knowledge..JMHO

Every car sold in the U.S. has to have one of these devices by 2014, he says.

The sheriff says it was probably instant high-trauma death, according to doctors.

Q: Has this investigation kept you awake at night?

Kimsey says it's much easier to deal with physics than the personal side. We worked 17 of these incidents this last year, he says. We want to offer these families some sort of information on how this happened.

(Good Lord ~ there were no other accidents like this one JMOO )

You can't always depend on an EDR speed, he says.

:waitasec:

We have to match it to evidence, he says.

The sheriff says we go to extreme efforts to put together all the evidence that will hold up in a court of law, he says.

The sheriff says he likes how every department in Hamilton County comes together like a family to work on these things

We took the kids to the scene afterward to explain what happened to mom, he says.

:(

It seemed to be therapy for them, the sheriff says.

We may never know why, the sheriff says.

He's ended the press conference.

:thud:

BBM- Well, that pretty much says it all to me... JMO

Doesn't tell me anything...Just more questions than we have answers..JMHO

Exactly. That's pretty much what I meant. The part that was significant to me was his statement that basically said there wasn't enough evidence to hold up in court. I didn't listen to the press conference, but if that was a direct quote, wow... That's how I interpret that, anyway. JMO

Every car sold in the U.S. has to have one of these devices by 2014, he says.

The sheriff says it was probably instant high-trauma death, according to doctors.

Q: Has this investigation kept you awake at night?

Kimsey says it's much easier to deal with physics than the personal side. We worked 17 of these incidents this last year, he says. We want to offer these families some sort of information on how this happened.

(Good Lord ~ there were no other accidents like this one JMOO )

You can't always depend on an EDR speed, he says.

:waitasec:

We have to match it to evidence, he says.

The sheriff says we go to extreme efforts to put together all the evidence that will hold up in a court of law, he says.

The sheriff says he likes how every department in Hamilton County comes together like a family to work on these things

We took the kids to the scene afterward to explain what happened to mom, he says.

:(

It seemed to be therapy for them, the sheriff says.

We may never know why, the sheriff says.

He's ended the press conference.

:thud:

blue text color by me.

They didn't go to all extremes if you ask me, because they could have tried to get the information from the EDR that the manufacturer supposedly won't release. If they'd gotten a court order then I'd think the mfr. would be obligated to release the information.

Okay, as promised, here is some of the transcribed interview. I'm having real difficulty hearing parts of it even with headphones, so it is taking longer than I expected and I need a break so the other half may not appear until tomorrow. And just so you know - verb tenses don't exist for some folks apparently, and I tried to transcribe it as verbatim as possible. To say this is "rambling" is to be kind. ;)

Matt Palmgren interview with John Madewell, Channel 9

http://www.newschannel9.com/video/?videoId=1364845612001&play=now

Part One (transcribed by Thoughtfox)

JM: What have the last eight months been like for you and your children?

MP: It’s been emotional for all of us. I think one of the things we planned on is that we got together and we set goals. One of our goals was to find Gail. And two, to protect the children. We wanted to protect them through this whole thing. So that led to a lot of our different actions, and so on.

JM: How did you break the news to them, as far as . . . that their mother was missing?

MP: We sat down with them, talked about it. They understood that there was a lot of emotions going on in . . . in the family. Their number one goal again was to find Gail. How do we find Mom? We hoped, you know, for the best, you know, we always did, throughout 8 months. We’d say prayers about it – “We just want to find where Mom went.”

So my common (?factor? something) was that Mom was taking a break somewhere, you know, relaxing, uh, figure out what she wants. And that gave us a lot of comfort for 8 months.

JM: Have they had time to come to terms with losing their Mom?

MP: They have. We’ve sat down and talked about it. Through this whole thing one of my goals was to be transparent with them. They’re nine and twelve. They read the articles – they read everything. They ask any question they want. I think one of the best things that happened is that the Hamilton County Sheriff Detectives Office took them out to the Brow and allowed them to ask any questions that they would like to. So they sat down with the and Jared is a very intellectual little kid (smiles) and he had a lot of questions. Both detectives very well answering those questions for them and will in the future. So . . . I think that brought a lot of understanding to them also.

JM: When her jeep was discovered, what was going through your mind at the time?

MP: Well, when I get the phone call, it was like oh my god, you know, you think about the last 8 months, and we were in a different line of thought—

JM: What do you mean, a different line?

MP: We thought Gail went off somewhere . . . some of the things we thought she did. . . . She just went off . . . things that she was planning in advance . . . (smiling) . . . to, uh, go away a while for her stress levels or depression. That’s where we thought she was and where we continued to look and follow up on leads throughout the entire event. So that was our whole line of thought. When they called about the jeep it was like oh my gosh and it brings you back to day one. So it was like oh my gosh for the last 8 months (smiles) the line of thought so you bring it back to day one (smiles) and it starts – it’s just totally different – and it starts the thing all over again.

JM: I want to go back to day one, or that week preceding April 30th.

MP: Okay.

JM: You guys had a pending divorce.

MP: (nods)

JM: And police had been called twice out to your residence.

MP: (nods)

JM: …for arguments that had happened between the two of you, your guys disagreements there. What happened the following day?

MP: Well, if you go back to the first police report, the day before Easter – Good Friday. Uh, I wasn’t even at the house. This was, I mean – both those reports, I wasn’t even at the house. They were filed by Gail by herself if you actually read the reports. Umm, wanted to go to the lake house . . . I wanted to take a separate car . . . give us time to talk on that Good Friday . . . so I wasn’t even at the house when she filed the reports. We were (garbled) and she was discussing whether I should take the Jeep or not and she left and came back and went up the hill. I was not even there. So when she came back and talked to the police they just wanted to know if I was all right – they talked about a cooling off period. She went to the lake house and I followed the next day.

JM: You talk about you weren’t even there, are you talking about on the . . .

MP: I wasn’t even at the house on the 20th, Good Friday! (raises voice slightly) I was up the road a good bit, didn’t know the police were called. The police report was filed before I got back.

JM: You met with the police, right?

MP: They stopped and asked me if everything was okay. I said ‘everything’s okay.’ But, uh, Gail was driving erratic and I told her I want to get out of the car at the stop sign. And I did. And she drove back to the house and called the police.

JM: What about the 30th?

MP: On the 30th, I came home from the conference. I came home on the 30th. Uh . . . The alarms were changed. All the different codes were changed. I didn’t know what was going on. Didn’t know where my kids were. (smiling now) She said we/I (?) had taken off with the kids before without telling me. So I didn’t know what was going on. Had no idea. Uh . . . I guess, you know, she drove by the house. . . and I didn’t know where she was going but I was trying to call her numerous times. Alarms were going off in the house, as you might imagine.

And I got in the car and followed her up to where she was going, trying to beep and say ‘hey, I’m home.’ Jared had an awards ceremony that day if it wasn’t for the tornadoes. And she, uh, pulled into the Signal Mt. Police Department. So that report wasn’t even filed at the Signal Mt. Police Department and we didn’t even have words. She said she didn’t want to talk to us, she was worried about something, and she went back to the house.

I stayed there, per their request, and the police asked her to come back in 12 to 14 hours with the kids, and just have a cooling off period.

JM: What time of the day was it here at this point?

MP: About 11:30

JM: On the 30th?

MP: Mmmhmm.

JM: What happened after that?

MP: After that, we agreed. She went back to the house. The police were concerned at how long it was taking her there. We knew she was moving some stuff out. (smiles and laughs). And then came back up . . . police asked me to go up to Pruett’s (Food Town) and wait. And I did as they requested. And, uh, she went down to the lake house with the kids and I was in communication with them through text or via cell phone to make sure they were okay.

JM: Let me make sure I understand this right. You said 11:30 . . . are you talking about the 29th?

MP: The 29th. (nods in agreement)

JM: On the 30th, on the Saturday—

MP: On Saturday, uh, the only communication she had, she asked me. . . where I was . . . Jared called me and said they were on their way back. I said great—we were going to spend the weekend together. Gail and I agreed (smiling) that it was Dad’s weekend, since last weekend was Mom’s weekend. (smiles) And she called me, she came back and asked how long it was going to take for me to get there. Got up there and, uh, the kids were there. We’re just talkin’ and . . . there was no communication between Gail and I. On the 30th.

JM: Did you physically see her on the 30th?

MP: No. (shakes head no)

JM: My understanding was from the Sheriff that at 12:15 you were at home?

MP: I was at home, yes sir.

JM: And at noon, where were you?

MP: We stood there and talked about what we were going to do because the weekend before I didn’t get to see—

Man’s voice off camera: I think he’s asking you were you were at 12 o’clock?

MP: Oh, at 12 o’clock I was downtown. My Mom ran some errands. We were at a boutique store down on the North Shore. And that’s when we received the phone call saying where were you and I said I’ll be up there in about 20 minutes.

JM: So she was already at the house?

MP: She was almost there or was there.

JM: And she left the kids, is that right?

MP: She left the kids. She said she was going out to make some phone calls, uh, to her cousin, Sherry. That’s what the kids told me. That’s when we sat there and called her to find out where she was and what she was planning on. And she’s taken off to the lake house before from Louisville when we lived there, as well as when we lived in Birmingham. Just kind of went there for her peace of mind. So we kind of thought that’s where she went. So we spent the day together after that.

JM: When you didn’t see her on that Saturday, how much time passed before you started becoming concerned or when did you . . .

MP: The kids and I texted her, said . . . you know, there’s been patterns of this before. Said ‘we hope you’re okay’ . . . everything else . . . uh, find out what you’re thinkin’. Uh, she said she was going to spend the weekend down there and the kids were mine for the weekend. We were going to do baseball games, bike riding and everything else.

And uh, I got a phone call Monday morning from her sister and Arlene saying ‘file a missing person, file a missing person’ . . . and I’m like, why? She’s at the lake house. (smiles) And . . . that’s where she is.

JM: This is Arlene Durham saying this?

MP: Right.

JM: What did you think when Ms. Durham said that?

MP: I said, ‘Arlene, how did . . . Gail’s down there.’ “Nope, I’ve been following your . . . lake house.” And I said ‘why are you following? What’s going on at my lake house and stuff?’ You know, and she just started ragging me that she knows it and she’s been over there and stuff. And I’m like ‘why have you been over there at our house?’ (smiling) You know. So finally I said ‘okay, if you guys are that concerned, I’ll go file it.’ So of course, I went right up the mountain about literally an hour after that conversation to, um, file a missing persons report with Officer Miranda.

JM: Now, Gail’s sister had all ready filed a missing persons report? Is that correct?

MP: (Nods head in agreement)

JM: May 2nd?

MP: Correct. (takes drink of water)

JM: Um, why did you wait to file the missing person’s report after her sister?

MP: Her sister didn’t tell me. Her sister called me also. There was nothing telling me that a missing person report had already been filed. So I went up there and was surprised. Officer Miranda came over and said a report had already been filed. And I asked him some questions about that. At the same time we know there’s a three-way call between her sister, Arlene Durham, and a neighbor trying to give her possessions back already. (smiles) I thought that was odd. Here they’re pushing to file a missing persons report and they’re worried about Gail’s possessions being a different people’s houses.

That’s why I began wondering what the heck was going on, I’m doing missing persons reports and stuff. And I did not know anything about her sister filing that report until Officer Miranda told me.

JM: What did the results of this investigation mean to you?

MP: It was a tragic accident. I mean . . . we were havin’ marital issues. We’re workin’ throught ‘em. We’re tryin’ to find out the best things for the kids. Uh, it’s horrible. It’s awful. It’s like relivin’ (smiles) another death. You know. Um, I think all the Law Enforcement was doing their job all the way through. We were communicating with them., I think from day one we hired the best people we could because that’s what you do, in my job, you go find the best people to go find and meet your objectives. That’s why we hired Mike Mathis (PI) and Lee Davis (attorney) and Brian Hoss (attorney) and the kids and I talked—let’s go find it. And that’s where we were going with this all, to get the best people and to find Gail.

We searched Florida. I know I have cousins there. Everybody was giving us information that were (sp) feeding all through the . . . to give to the Law Enforcement. That first (something) we searched New York. There was tips in Vermont. There was tips we followed up on every lead we could. But we weren’t going to go public with it. We were going to keep it private. And this was the private issue we were trying to . . . trying to handle.

JM: Why did you make that decision to go private instead of public?

MP: Talking to Gail’s family, we all decided it was a private issue. We know Gail’s had some issues in the past. We don’t want that out there. And we just said we’re going to handle this privately. I thought we were all on the same page if you look at the press conference that was handled at Signal Mountain, we’re all asking Gail to come home. Unfortunately like I said it was a tragic accident. And it hurts to this day.

JM: Do the results of this accident, do you in your mind, do you feel they vindicate you? Do you feel exonerated?

MP: (stammers) I don’t think there’s any . . . I uh . . . I wish we found it day one. I mean, there’s no vindication. I’m not proud of anything. (smiles) I’m glad of closure for me and the kids and stuff. Uh, the public . . . they were mean. (smiles) I’ve learned a lot about what people can do to somebody’s life, you know. And people that don’t back you up. People that . . . even your work that you’ve done so well for, you know, that people jump to conclusions. There’s assumptions out there . . . and the one thing that we did was stick to our goals. That was to find Gail and to protect the kids and . . . no matter what I did with the protecting the kids, I mean, people scrutinized it. Whatever.

My kids are so proud of it all. They knew who they can trust. They knew who are true friends are now. (smiles) So . . . vindicated? I never did anything. I told them that from day one. To . . . all the people. And there’s nothing to be vindicate really for.

JM: Is this a relief for you, as far as the findings of the accident?

MP: Uh, I don’t know if it’s a relief. When you really think about my psyche for the past 8 months thinking Gail was off with friends or somebody. I’ll wait till they find the Jeep. The kids believed that. I don’t know if it’s a relief. I think that LE and Cue and everybody brought in did an excellent job and everything. I think I believe 100% in what the findings are. Even some are (to) my surprise. (smiles)

JM: You said Cue?

MP: Cue is the . . . uh, Kevin, Gail’s brother helped sponsor that in. (smiles) And we were supportive of it. He did it behind the scenes. Again, we kept our names out of Facebook and everything else. I didn’t even know Kevin was behind it but he is a sponsor. (smiles) And he did a great job of bringing them in – that’s the missing persons—

JM: Group from California?

MP: From, uh, I think South Carolina or California? But they’re all over. So they did some nice work with the Sheriff’s Office. All I asked for was constant communication between that group and the Ham. Co. Sheriff’s Dept.

Part One Ends at about 15: 32

ThoughtFox..Thank you so very much..For some unknown reason I was having serious problems with my computer when I was trying to listen to the interview....

I am also confused as to why the news conference was held today--how long had they known that they came to the conclusion that this was a "tragic accident" SOMEBODY out there has to know something. With all this new information I am starting to get things confused. How heavily traveled is the road gail was on at that time of day? A car and a boulder go off in broad daylight and no one saw or hear anything? Had to be quite a sound when she hit the boulder.

I really hope someone out there keeps searching for the truth. I just cannot wrap my head around this being just an accident.

I also want to know how long they had known. There was that info early on when Matt's lawyers immediately said it was an accident but the sheriff's office had not yet officially declared it as such, and when explaining how they knew it was an accident the lawyers mentioned Gail's GPS which showed a drop of 500 feet, IIRC. That tells me they probably knew quite a bit before she was even found.

Did the lawyers know that GPS info when they were making comments to the media about Arlene being suspicious?

And I'll never get over the fact that an enormous Jeep crashed in a residential section between two roads and no one saw or heard a thing.

I can believe it's an accident. But to be an accident, it means many people heard, saw, and knew things that could have helped but ignored it. Or worse yet, they stretched the facts to fit their own personal agendas. There have been some great people involved in the case, people who care, but there has also been a lot of really ugly behavior.

MP from the interview:

My kids are so proud of it all.

Oy. I'd say it sounds awful because it's out of context, but I can't think of a context where it would sound okay.

MP: On the 30th, I came home from the conference.

Edited to add this quote, because no, Matt, you did not come home from the conference. Unless he's claiming BCBS is lying?

Maybe it was for the DVR-thingy AD picked up for Gail from Best Buy on May 2 [link]? I'm sure there was a fee associated with recovering data from the surveillance system? We don't know when she prepared that envelope though, before or after she saw AD that last time. Maybe she meant to give it to her at AD's (ex?)husband's bday party the following day (Apr 30), but she ended up driving back to SM instead. Just a possibility. Whatever the reason, it does seem Gail was paying AD back for something. The lack of a note means AD likely knows exactly what it's for.

I was wondering about that possibility, too. Also, I recalled that when Gail first purchased the home next to AD's, they two of them met, became friends, and made an agreement that AD would take care of the property for Gail...maybe that is what the funds were for, a monthly maintenance payment. The fact that Gail was fulfilling some kind of financial obligation just lends further credence to the fact that she was responsible, articulate and definitely not delusional as MP would have everyone believe!

That 440 pound rock was dragged over the cliff, because her jeep hit it at 24 mph. Is that enough to move that rock across the lawn and over the edge of a cliff?

Being that it was bulky and flat?

He says he's always been close to Gail's family? What about the story that he wouldn't let her sister give the children their xmas gifts?

Is he changing history a little here?

And let's not forget the part about Gail's siblings having to go to court against MP to try to see their neice and nephew and preserve Gail's funds for them, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member