2012.02.07 - 911 Tapes Released

I feel so heartbroken for her and the helplessness she must have felt. I read somewhere that she was a contractor. I contract and sometimes I am given things to do without any guidance or help because iam not a employee-i am cheap labor. I dont even have benefits. If she is a contractor what are the States guidelines to ensure she gets the support and help-before and after this happened...

My heart goes out to the social worker, and I'm actually thankful that he locked her out: she would be gone, too, IMO. And there's nothing she could have done to save those boys if she had been 'let in'.

One thing that crossed my mind: the supervised visit should have been on neutral turf. Not in his home where weapons, etc., could be hidden - and something like this could happen.

I hope this is something that courts will take into account in the future.

I'm still reeling from this one. :cry:

I feel so heartbroken for her and the helplessness she must have felt. I read somewhere that she was a contractor. I contract and sometimes I am given things to do without any guidance or help because iam not a employee-i am cheap labor. I dont even have benefits. If she is a contractor what are the States guidelines to ensure she gets the support and help-before and after this happened...

(I am also a contractor. And because my contract is based on my performance, I work very hard. Sorry, I know this is OT, but her being a contractor has nothing to do with this situation. In her field, many contractors are used.)

That's a really, really good point.

In the sick mind of JP, how would he have even anticipated that he could have shut the case worker out of the house... in all likelihood he was either planning to trick her out of the house (but really, why bother) or incapacitate her, or just kill her outright along with the children. He'd been planning this, so he had to have had some idea of how to take out the only other adult involved.

We'll never know, but IMO he intended to kill her. Once she was inside the house, the smell of gasoline would have red flagged her that something was going on, and she would have got herself and the boys out of there ASAP. I think he planned to let her into the house ahead of him, then hit her in the back of the neck with the hatchet before he attacked the boys.

The whole thing was so meticulously planned that I don't think for a minute he would have left something like that to luck. Once he made the decision that they had to die, I think he would have killed as many people necessary to achieve that objective. I think he'd been planning this for a some time, and if he hadn't got the right to supervised visitation, he would have done it elsewhere - likely in their grandparents home, and probably taking the grandparents out too.

I agree with herding as well, I don't really think there was much anyone could do that day to stop him in time. It still doesn't change the fact that the male 911 operator was pretty rude. Is that how he handles all his calls?

BBM
As do I......I even laid in bed last night, trying to go to sleep thinking about what I posted about the male 911 operator on call #7 (which appears to be the first call made by the person supervising the visit). I realize, even if he did dispatch immediately, nothing would've changed the outcome. JP is/was evil.

However, I just can't forget, as Kitty Kat has said above, how rude that male operator was to the lady supervising the visit. Talking down to her. Making her 911 call (911 is for emergencies---yes?), seem to be like she was calling in because her cat was in a tree or something.....I realize they have a tough job, and I'm sure they get many 'not emergency' calls, but there were children involved! I think that's why that call makes me so sad & mad....I feel the 911 operator didn't care enough about those children. :(

Kimster, is it ok to use her name here now?

Every time I read a new news story about this I cry, I can't help it, the desperation and shock that woman felt. Knowing what happened. Awful.

Yes. BUT. This is her job.. to be prepared for such emergencies. When there are not minutes to lose scrambling thru papers trying to find the address of the emergency. This is her job to be prepared for the worst case scenario.

Remember hindsight is 20/20. The house may not have been a corner home, so she couldn't remember the street name. I'm in home health and when I visit patients, I don't have their address on me; I know where they live though. If I had to call 911, I would be scrambling just like the SW to find the address. It's happened to me more than once. Then add in the shock, trauma and paralyzing fear that the SW experienced, for a moment she may not have been able to remember her name!

I can believe the SW was given a lot of carp on the phone when she called 911.

We called 911 last night to report possibility of juvenile runaways living in a vacant home 2 doors from mine - the call lasted almost 30 minutes. Tried to call Crime Stoppers and got a recording saying there was no one available to answer the call, called 3 other LE offices and had to leave a recorded message. You can bet on a letter to the editor about this.

It is my opinion the the 911 operator/dispatcher on the contracted SW's first call was doing what he thought was his job but...my god, he could have used a bit of sensitivity training and crisis intervention.
My heart is bleeding for this poor woman and the way she was treated as if some hysterical woman during that phone call. To think of the time wasted while she was grilled about the supervision and who is supervising who. She had the patience of a saint and 911 was very insinsitive in my opinion. When he told her that officers had to deal with emergencies and life threatening situations first she was very clear and articulate that that is what this was. Unfortunately to no avail.
I am sure that the 911 operator/dispatcher is having nightmares about the way he handled that call. That is so, so sad. JP is the evil one in this and quarterbacking an event after the fact is not helpful unless it prevents another act of evil in the future.
God bless the precious boys, Susan and all who tried to help during this awful event.

Kimster, is it ok to use her name here now?

Every time I read a new news story about this I cry, I can't help it, the desperation and shock that woman felt. Knowing what happened. Awful.

No, we'd rather not at this point. I didn't catch it during the copy and paste process. :doh:

This 911 operator guy...while I know that at times they have to keep a person on a call and keep them talking to calm them down, he's just a piece of work. When I had to call 911 for my husband's chest pains last May they were absolute angels and kept asking if I needed anything else, that they were sending the ambulance right away. I couldn't have asked for better service.

Any time children are involved it's life threatening. I sure hope this guy is severely admonished by his superiors.

THIS! It's like he wasn't even bothering to write down what she was saying - making her repeat the same information over and over. Right from the beginning he was sarcastic and acting like she was a hysterical woman. I thought she was remarkably calm and collected under the circumstances. I hope he's fired or at least severely reprimanded. :furious:

God bless this poor woman.

I agree. He was totally and completely unprofessional, and he certainly wasn't following any kind of required script!

I have family in Washington, and all I can say is that if any of them ever have an emergency I fervently hope that this guy isn't the one on the other end of the line!

I understand and completely agree that WS does not allow any bashing or second guessing of the social worker.....may I ask why it is ok to do the complete opposite to the 911 operator?? Has it occured to anyone that he also feels horrible about what happened? Josh Powell is the bad person, here. To me, all of his victims should be given the same respect.

I understand and completely agree that WS does not allow any bashing or second guessing of the social worker.....may I ask why it is ok to do the complete opposite to the 911 operator?? Has it occured to anyone that he also feels horrible about what happened? Josh Powell is the bad person, here. To me, all of his victims should be given the same respect.
BBM

Because he treated a victim like a joke.

although, I'm sure he feels more sorry than words can say right about now. I do feel for him.

ETA: not saying it's OK to bash him, but I do understand the anger towards how he treated the social worker.

We aren't bashing anyone here. The dispatchers are no exception. I haven't listened to the tape, but from what I've read in print, that wasn't the protocol they usually use. How do I know? I learned a lot when strongly considering a 911 dispatch career and watched a lot of videos and tests and this isn't how they suggested it be done. But, bashing him isn't right. My heart goes out to him too because I'm sure he's being scrutinized all over the world and may even lose his job. :(

As for the social worker's name. Her name is all over the MSM already. If her name is posted here, it's not a violation. Instead, please try to use her initials if you can. Think about it this way, as she begins her healing process, she might Google her name. We don't want her to come here and see something that might cause her to doubt herself in any way, so be responsible.

As for me, I choose to just not use her name at all so I don't make a mistake. I've been known to put my foot in my mouth. :crazy:

Hope that makes sense. I'm off to work and will catch you guys later! I'm really thankful for all of you. You guys have hearts of gold. :grouphug:

Well, even 911 operators have a bad day. Maybe he had a migraine, or just feeling lousy and it just so happened to be the day Josh Powell murdered his children that the 911 operator wasn't totally with it.

I don't really want to judge him too harshly because the poor guy has to wake up every single day for the rest of his life with this hanging over him. But for the grace of God...

IMO

BBM

Because he treated a victim like a joke.

although, I'm sure he feels more sorry than words can say right about now. I do feel for him.

ETA: not saying it's OK to bash him, but I do understand the anger towards how he treated the social worker.

I agree...he did treat her like a joke. My impression was that he immediately assumed she was the parent that needed to be supervised. And therefore, treated her with judgement...assuming she was a disgruntled parent in a domestic situation. And after that he didn't "hear" half of what she said. His perception of her and the urgency of the situation was lost to him and he just didn't get it.
There may not have been anything le could've done, but it would've been nice for them to have had a chance. If not this one, there is going to be many other 911 calls that will come in and dispatchers need to be able to prioritize appropriately, have good communication skills, and really LISTEN to what's being said.

I'm sorry if this comes across as a bash, but I am very critical of certain people who hold positions which don't allow much room for error. I'm one of those that thinks, what if that were my loved one... And I do want to send big PRAISES to the social worker! (That's a new one for me). She was a champ....
(-:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back