TX TX - Corsicana, near Chambers Creek, UnsFem 2-5, 1052UFTX, clothes, May'77

Other thoughts. Her Montgomery Wards clothes are the best clue the police have. Were the clothes "regionally" distributed? (Meaning, Wards didn't distribute/sell snow shoes in Florida, but they did in upper state New York.) This might help pinpoint her location origin. I don't recall, was there a shoe found? Buying shoes or a coat back in the day was a big deal. A shoe salesperson would measure a childs foot, and it was a big deal. Actually, so were buying clothes. Was every childrens clothes clerk at Wards within several hundred miles questioned? Of course the clothes could have been second hand, but this is a thought.

JudyGirl said there was a lot of ranch land in this area. There are lots of "dritfers" who move around working on farms. Who were some of these seasonal "drifters" who came to work on the local farms? This would have been someone who came to town and didn't raise a flag to the locals. "Who's that stranger?" I mean, this was a very small town back then. Anyone strange would have been easily noticed. Whoever left that child was someone who was a known, IMO. It would have been someone who moved around, someone who didn't have a school or neighbors tracking or wondering where the little girl was. It was someone who could come and go from Corsicana without raising suspicion. I wonder if the police interviewed the ranch foreman(s) to determine if they had any "hands" that were acting strange or made a sudden disappearance during that timeframe. I would think they wouldnt come back after leaving the body, they would have bolted to an adjacent state, or further. Just more thoughts...

Other thoughts. Her Montgomery Wards clothes are the best clue the police have. Were the clothes "regionally" distributed? (Meaning, Wards didn't distribute/sell snow shoes in Florida, but they did in upper state New York.) This might help pinpoint her location origin. I don't recall, was there a shoe found? Buying shoes or a coat back in the day was a big deal. A shoe salesperson would measure a childs foot, and it was a big deal. Actually, so were buying clothes. Was every childrens clothes clerk at Wards within several hundred miles questioned? Of course the clothes could have been second hand, but this is a thought.

JudyGirl said there was a lot of ranch land in this area. There are lots of "dritfers" who move around working on farms. Who were some of these seasonal "drifters" who came to work on the local farms? This would have been someone who came to town and didn't raise a flag to the locals. "Who's that stranger?" I mean, this was a very small town back then. Anyone strange would have been easily noticed. Whoever left that child was someone who was a known, IMO. It would have been someone who moved around, someone who didn't have a school or neighbors tracking or wondering where the little girl was. It was someone who could come and go from Corsicana without raising suspicion. I wonder if the police interviewed the ranch foreman(s) to determine if they had any "hands" that were acting strange or made a sudden disappearance during that timeframe. I would think they wouldnt come back after leaving the body, they would have bolted to an adjacent state, or further. Just more thoughts...

Anyone know who could contact the Dallas/Ft.Worth TV stations to get this back in the news via a broadcast?

my reading of the case information indicated that her DNA (if still available) hasn't even been entered into CODIS. Am I correct? It seems that at least that could be done. And a possible sketch made.

They could try exhuming the remains to look for DNA. I know that is expensive.

I agree, that it probably was that someone didn't report her missing. And not an accidental death.

Do we know if any possible ethnicity was determined? I believe that the bone structure (especially in the face) has specific characteristics that point to ethnicity. This could help in the familial search. In the off chance that the child was an ethnicity that wasn't over represented in that area, that would be a real find.

Finally, I would just be willing to bet that some lifer incarcerated within that vacinity would know something. I think it would be worthwhile to dig around in the adjacent prisons. Might even find your suspect locked up there for another crime. Any similar killings in that timeframe where someone was convicted, in prison, and still living? Hmmm....

ITA.
Montgomery Wards distributed very specific items to many areas- many of them rural communities. They also had a catalogue you could order from, and iirc the catalogues were distributed in a region-specific area as well. I wonder if the clothing fit this child well (wondering about hand me downs/second hand) or likely purchased specifically for this child- and if so- then it would stand to reason within a year or so, seeing as how quickly kids grow?
Also- Montgomery Wards was kinda the rural mans' chic back in the day. I wonder if that might give some clues?

I am also wondering if they were/would be able to extract any DNA evidence from the clothing, even if it had decomensated to the point it had. I know very little about how the DNA gathering process works. Does anyone know the process for determining what should be tested for DNA, how expensive, and how long it takes? Are there only certain amount of labs or are there many of these labs these days? Does anyone know where the closest one to Corsicana would be?

At the bottom of this page, I saw and read the link about another Corsicana girl (much older at 17) who disappeared in 2004. While the cases certainly can't be connected, I am wondering how vigorously LE in Corsicana pursued this?

How seriously does Corsicana respond to cases of missing female children? Just wondering. It's a very small place (approx 24K population). I'm just hoping that a town this small would vigorously embrace these two cases.

Anyone have a read on LE in that town? Are they engaged and interested, or have they pushed these files to the back of their minds as they enjoy a leisurely cup of coffee? The police chief (or equivalent) should have pictures of these two girls on his desk that he must look at constantly to remind him that his work is not done.

(Yes, Rose is feisty this morning.) ; )

Corsicana Daily Sun Newspaper - Monday, May 30, 1977

Identity of child still mystery

The badly decomposed body found Sunday on Chambers Creek by two fishermen is no longer believed to be that of a Dallas youngster missing since Valentine's Day, according to Navarro County Sheriff Jerry Shelton.

Investigators had first thought that the skeletal remains found in shallow water along the creek to be that of seven year old Ladena McCoy, who disappeared while on her way to school in Dallas Feb. 14.

But the Forensic Laboratory in Dallas reported to Shelton about 11 a.m. today that the body is not that of the missing girl. Law enforcement officers in Dallas, despite a massive effort, have been unable to locate a clue to the girl's whereabouts since her disappearance three months ago.

Navarro County deputies, after learning the news, began immediate plans for a careful search of the area where the body was found yesterday in an attempt to discover a clue to the identity of the body.

The basic assumption that the body was that of the Dallas girl rested on clothing found on the body and on the approximate age of the body, four to seven years of age. Dallas investigators had only those clothing samples on which to base an identification.

According to Deputy Sheriff Grady McCall, Jessie Gomez and James Moore were fishing around noon on Chambers Creek Sunday, about a mile south of where the E. 5th slab crosses the creek, when they found the body. The two men walked out to the road and flagged down a passing deputy to report the grisly discovery.

Members of the Corsicana Emergency Corps were employed to remove the body, which was done about 3:30 p.m. Sunday, McCall said.

Investigators say the body is missing one foot, and had apparently been in the water about two months before being discovered. Deputies speculated this morning that the body had not drifted "too far" from where it was placed in the water to where it was discovered Sunday.

Deputies now theorize that the child was a victim of abuse, and radio and teletype bulletins have been dispatched to all state law enforcement agencies seeking information about any missing four year old child.

Investigators were preparing to search using deputies on foot and in boats along the creek where the body was discovered.

(Judygirl Note: Body of Ladena McCoy was found eventually, murdered.)

If the Dallas girl hasn't been found yet, they should see if they can get the unknown girl's DNA and test it against a family member of the missing girl they dismissed as a match in the 1970s. The clothes could have been changed on the girl. However, it does sound like the girl could have been abused and desposed of, instead of missing.

Do we know if any possible ethnicity was determined? I believe that the bone structure (especially in the face) has specific characteristics that point to ethnicity. This could help in the familial search. In the off chance that the child was an ethnicity that wasn't over represented in that area, that would be a real find.

Finally, I would just be willing to bet that some lifer incarcerated within that vacinity would know something. I think it would be worthwhile to dig around in the adjacent prisons. Might even find your suspect locked up there for another crime. Any similar killings in that timeframe where someone was convicted, in prison, and still living? Hmmm....

I also wonder if someone remembers a girl disappearing from school without any warning. Perhaps, the school called the parents and the parents told them that they needed to move put of town or something to that effect.

I also wonder if someone remembers a girl disappearing from school without any warning. Perhaps, the school called the parents and the parents told them that they needed to move put of town or something to that effect.

Sounds preschool "bulletins have been dispatched to all state law enforcement agencies seeking information about any missing four year old child."

I would not think they had school for below age 6 at that time. I know in Arkansas we didn't until 1978 and later even for 4 year olds.

Sounds preschool "bulletins have been dispatched to all state law enforcement agencies seeking information about any missing four year old child."

I would not think they had school for below age 6 at that time. I know in Arkansas we didn't until 1978 and later even for 4 year olds.

The age estimate of the body at the time was 4-7 years old.

hoping this little girl gets a name soon...how sad that no one knows who she is. someone has to miss her and think of her. I have a 5 year old and I just cannot imagine...

Wow - I live a county away and had no idea of this. I wasn't living in the state then - but this is horrific to me. How can they just find a little girl and just say oh well, no idea. ((now I know that's not what they did, but geeze...)

At the bottom of this page, I saw and read the link about another Corsicana girl (much older at 17) who disappeared in 2004. While the cases certainly can't be connected, I am wondering how vigorously LE in Corsicana pursued this?

How seriously does Corsicana respond to cases of missing female children? Just wondering. It's a very small place (approx 24K population). I'm just hoping that a town this small would vigorously embrace these two cases.

Anyone have a read on LE in that town? Are they engaged and interested, or have they pushed these files to the back of their minds as they enjoy a leisurely cup of coffee? The police chief (or equivalent) should have pictures of these two girls on his desk that he must look at constantly to remind him that his work is not done.

(Yes, Rose is feisty this morning.) ; )

Rose, it seems like I remember that this young lady ran away from home. I can't be sure though

ITA.
Montgomery Wards distributed very specific items to many areas- many of them rural communities. They also had a catalogue you could order from, and iirc the catalogues were distributed in a region-specific area as well. I wonder if the clothing fit this child well (wondering about hand me downs/second hand) or likely purchased specifically for this child- and if so- then it would stand to reason within a year or so, seeing as how quickly kids grow?
Also- Montgomery Wards was kinda the rural mans' chic back in the day. I wonder if that might give some clues?

The I45 corridor reaches from just above Dallas to Galveston.. This child could have come from any migrant or illegals ... I wish the Dallas Ft.Worth stations would spark an interest in this. WFAA usually is good with this

@Diddy98 - the fact that noone came forward reporting a child of this description missing further reinforces the theory that she was murdered by a parent. Someone who was on the move so that no one would question the disappearance of the child. Who drifted in and out of that town and had a child in that age group?

One theory that hasn't been discussed is that the parent(s) could have been undocumented workers from Mexico, who were too afraid to come forward. That said, it still doesn't match up with the way this child was left like garbage. A bereaved parent (undocumented or transient), would have buried the child in a loving manner. This clearly appears to be a homicide.

I'm having a hard time believing that someone in that very little town doesn't know what happened, or doesn't have some good insight as to what *might* have happened. People can't make a move in a small town without everyone knowing about it. They would have known if someone (even someone who worked seasonally) was mistreating their child. There would have been signs. Back then, people would tend to "mind their own business."

I think law enforcement in Corsicana should reopen this case and go interview EVERYONE who is still living there that was even remotely connected to the case. Someone's not talking, and someone knows something.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
galluvstrucrime
Back