NC NC - Neely Smith, 5, Charlotte, 18 Feb 1981

Ok, can someone enlighten on a few things-
What is the deal with Neely's dad--why did he go to jail and why was Kristen, his daughter, in cosmogirl?
Also, how did Coffey murder Amanda Ray's mom when several articles point to her being alive in 2009?

N Smith shot his step-father when he molested his daughter from his second marriage.

Ok, can someone enlighten on a few things-
What is the deal with Neely's dad--why did he go to jail and why was Kristen, his daughter, in cosmogirl?
Also, how did Coffey murder Amanda Ray's mom when several articles point to her being alive in 2009?

BBM

My comment was confusing - I meant to say that Amanda Ray was killed by Coffey. He did not kill her mom.

Apologies!

Fred Howard Coffey comes up for parole again this year. Please write a letter for Amanda.
If he is set free I believe he will kill again! Although he was not tried for Neely's murder due to lack of evidence, I believe he raped, tortured, and killed Neely too.

A parole review date is set for July 21, 2012

Please read Amanda's mother's letter below and find out how YOU can help!

Below is the address. Please be sure and indicate Fred Howard Coffey, Jr. DOC #0081135. The address is:

Chairman Charles L. Mann Sr.
NC Post Release Supervision & Parole Commission
P.O. Box 29540
Raleigh, NC 27626-0540
RE: Fred Howard Coffey, DOC# 0081135PRINT THE SAMPLE LETTER, SIGN YOUR NAME AND SEND IT TO THE ADDRESS LISTED ABOVE.

YOU CAN ALSO EMAIL YOUR LETTER TO: parole@doc.state.nc.us

YOU CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE!

Read the letter written by Amanda'a mother at the bottom of the linked page.

http://justice4amanda.tripod.com/

Does anyone have or know where I can find a picture of Coffey when he was younger? Say from the early 80's? I am fairly confident that this is the man who molested me in Goldsboro, NC in the summer of 1981. I can't prove it, but a lot of the information I've been reading points to him (description, car, methodology, location, etc.) I'm sure that it's beyond the statute of limitations, but it would give me some sense of closure because I know I would recognize him for sure if I saw an earlier picture. I'm already fairly sure with the picture that is currently available.

This man ruined my life.

Hi JDuMo

I'm so sorry for what happened to you. Fred Coffey ruined a lot of lives and took others. I wish I knew what to say to help you get past this but I don't. You have my prayers and I mean that.

Fred Coffey took a piece of my heart too.

This is the earliest photo I have found of Coffey. I'll keep looking.

FredCoffey-1.jpg

http://bluelineradio.com/FredHowardCoffey

Does anyone have or know where I can find a picture of Coffey when he was younger? Say from the early 80's? I am fairly confident that this is the man who molested me in Goldsboro, NC in the summer of 1981. I can't prove it, but a lot of the information I've been reading points to him (description, car, methodology, location, etc.) I'm sure that it's beyond the statute of limitations, but it would give me some sense of closure because I know I would recognize him for sure if I saw an earlier picture. I'm already fairly sure with the picture that is currently available.

This man ruined my life.

This is from a few years ago. He doesn't look as "shrunken" as the current picture. I do remember that his hair was darker when he was younger and he has always been a slight/skinny man. I live/lived in the Charlotte area and remember when Neely and Amanda were murdered.

I am so sorry that this happened to you, he is a true monster and has hurt so many people.

http://webapps6.doc.state.nc.us/opi...5&SENTENCEINFO=yes&SHOWPHOTO=yes&numtimesin=2

Attachments

• fred coffey.jpg
    fred coffey.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 66
This is from a few years ago. He doesn't look as "shrunken" as the current picture. I do remember that his hair was darker when he was younger and he has always been a slight/skinny man. I live/lived in the Charlotte area and remember when Neely and Amanda were murdered.

I am so sorry that this happened to you, he is a true monster and has hurt so many people.

http://webapps6.doc.state.nc.us/opi...5&SENTENCEINFO=yes&SHOWPHOTO=yes&numtimesin=2

Thanks, Carole for reposting that picture. I don't know why mine isn't showing now. It did when I posted. Same picture. You are right, his hair was darker and he was always thin. I think I remember seeing him in one picture with a short beard, not real neat. Maybe just unshaven for a few days. Its been a while.

Wish I had the software to digress him in age. He looks the same just older and white headed now.

I hope he never gets out of jail. He is a monster! moo

Oh my god, I have just read this entire thread and can not beleive that they are even considering giving this guy parole. In this modern world full of technological advances, you would think that they could find one trace of dna or evidence to connect this guy to at one of these other crimes and murders. For goodness sake where has the common sense gone!!!!!! Richard I applaud what you are doing, looking into this guy and the cases of child murder and rape that are in my estimate 99.9% likely that he committed.

That is what I cant beleive. He was in all these places where these children were murdered, even lived in the same apartment as Neely and she probably walked straight past his door looking for a friend to play with that day. And the others you mentioned and him being in the vicinity. This world has gone crazy. I do not have any faith in the legal system, I am sorry if that offends people, but these days the "unreasonable doubt" card is played too much.

I also think that this guy got away not only with murder, literally but with alot of child rape. More than has been mentioned here. And to the lady who wrote in above, I'd like to say from Australia I really feel for you and hope you can find some inner peace as it is not fair that an utter scum can ruin peoples lives like this. He should never be let out into society, common sense parole board please. He is too high a risk.

There should be some form of LE going every time his parole is coming up to the board and saying look there is a high probability that he killed her, her, him and raped her, her, him , and quite frankly the american public should not take that risk, EVER!

But of course with the judicial system full of this utter BS political correctness, unless there is hard evidence, it is prejudicial to him and probably not allowed.

Sorry for the rant guys, but my blood boils when I read stuff like this.

I find comfort (not quite the right word) in knowing he has been locked up for so long. I have worried and worried that this man has been hurting other children like myself (I was 7 or 8 at the time) for all these years. I do find some peace in knowing that he has been off of the streets since the mid-'80s. And yet - he affected so many people before he was sent away. To know that I was one of "hundreds" is just sickening. And then there is the fact that I got off lucky - I was able to walk away. Thank goodness someone was approaching that ended our 'encounter'. Not before it was horrific, though. :(

I wish I could see a picture of him from the early 80's. I did see the two that were posted here. But I really need to see a younger picture of him.

I would love to know where Coffey was in the summer of 1984. Does anyone know, or have any suggestions as to how I could find out? There's an open murder case of a 7 year old girl from that time in my hometown, which is about 60 miles from Bristol.

This man ruined my life.

Can you say how he initially approached you? Did he use any kind of ruse or enticements? Was he someone you had seen or met before?

Fred Coffey moved around a lot and owned a number of vehicles. He was married three times.

His "hometown" is usually said to be Bristol, Virginia. That is right on the border of western Virginia and eastern Tennessee. It is not far from Kentucky and North Carolina state lines.

Coffey's mother lived in Bristol throughout the time of his entry into the Navy in 1962, through his trial and imprisonment in 1986-87. So Bristol was always a place which he could travel to and stay for periods of time.

Coffey was stationed at several places during his Navy career (1962-1974). At one time, he was on the West Coast, and he served a tour of duty in Viet Nam. His last duty station was Norfolk, VA. While there, he abducted a 13 year-old girl, the daughter of another Navy man, and raped her in the Virginia Beach, VA area. This crime was dealt with by civil authorities, and when the Navy learned of it, Coffey was discharged and given a code which prevented him from re-enlisting. He left the Navy in September 1974, but may have still had a home, and certainly contacts in the Virginia Beach area for some time afterward.

Some time between September 1974 and possibly February/March 1975, Coffey moved to Montgomery County, Maryland which is just north of Washington DC. There he began work at Vitro Laboratories, which was a Department of Defense Contractor. His address (listed in Vitro employment documents) was the Holiday Motel in Rockville, MD. It is not known for certain if this was where he lived during his entire stay in Maryland which ended abruptly in late July 1975.

By October 1975, Coffey was back in Virginia Beach, VA where he was arrested and charged with contributing to the delinquency of a minor with a 15 year-old girl.

Before 1975 was over, Coffey had enlisted in the North Carolina National Guard, so he may have moved there by the end of 75.

Coffey was known to have lived in Charlotte, NC between 1979 and 1986, but he is also believed to have abducted and murdered Travis Shane King (age 8) in Bristol in summer of 1986.

He was arrested late in 1986 in Charlotte, NC and was first tried in a multiple child molestation case and found guilty. Then in 1987, he was tried and convicted of murdering Amanda Ray (1979). He was initially sentenced to death in two separate trials and to life in prison in a third trial. He has remained in the NC prison system, moving several times over the years since 1986.

Coffey's current residence is Pender Prison in Burgaw, NC.

As to photos of Coffey, there are links in Websleuths to two prison photos of him. One was taken about 2002 and the other more recerntly.

I have seen photos of him which were published in the Washington Post newspaper in 1987 taken during his arrest and trials. By that time his hair was mostly gray.

I have also seen a 1975 photo of him taken for his Vitro ID card, which was printed in a Maryland newspaper many years ago. In this photo, his hair was dark brown or black, but it is possible that he had dyed it prior to starting work with Vitro. There is a lot of testimony from various people who knew him that his hair was "salt and pepper" or graying at an early age.

There are some posts and photo links in the Websleuths threads on the missing Lyon Sisters, but I think only the two prison photos mentioned are on there.

It is likely that other photos exist of Coffey, taken at the time of his arrests and bookings, but I have not been able to get copies of them.

It is also possible that his Navy record or National Guard records have ID photos of him.

Let's all stay vigilant about the upcoming parole hearing and make sure you get your letters in. I'm sending mine in for sure, the first time I have ever weighed in on a parole hearing, because I grew up in Wheaton and Aspen Hill, and I will never forget the stories of the Lyons sisters or the Beatty girl.

Yes, please send a message to the North Carolina Parole Board and voice your thoughts and feelings - whatever they may be - about Fred Coffey's pending Parole Board hearing.

Again, the address is:

Chairman Charles L. Mann Sr.
NC Post Release Supervision & Parole Commission
P.O. Box 29540
Raleigh, NC 27626-0540
RE: Fred Howard Coffey, DOC# 0081135

or send an email to parole@doc.state.nc.us

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors