Who was George Brody?- Part 2.

Can someone with an ancestry membership see if we can find who was residing at 483 9th, Oakland in the 1930 Census? If this is an apartment with several residents, can we get a list of the residents who resided at this address in 1930?

Trying to find a way to track this GB back by a means other than name.
Hi Cubby,
2 years ago or so, I searched in the 1934 California voters registration database abt the residents at 483 9th.. and I wrote what I found in the GB part 1 topic .... and I no found helpful clues..
really GB appearing not in Oakland before of 1936
in 1934 no, ditto 1932, ditto 1930 etc...
GB was in Oakland in 1935, he so declared on 1940 census, and in effects, just appearing in 1936 California voters registration .

Where he lived before of 1935 is a mystery... where he naturalized is a mystery also..
by 1940 census we know that it was born abt in 1906 and that matching with Annasmom idea abt GB age;
we know also some other clue, but no much.. just that was a russian.. and he had elementary education ... unmarried....
This man is a true mystery...
raf

Thank you raf. I didn't remember you did all that research on the voter registration.

I think the 1905 year of birth is correct over 1906 since the Census is taken in April. His year of birth would have been 1906 if his birthdate was prior to April 1.

Now I'm wondering what date in August he claimed was his DOB.

Now I am wondering if there is a way to search on Ancestry with date, month, year of birth and birthplace only. I'm sure it would be an enormous list but I'm still curious to see it. Especially if any names might stand out that could be anglicized to GB. It's probably a long shot though.....

Thank you raf. I didn't remember you did all that research on the voter registration.

I think the 1905 year of birth is correct over 1906 since the Census is taken in April. His year of birth would have been 1906 if his birthdate was prior to April 1.

Now I'm wondering what date in August he claimed was his DOB.

Now I am wondering if there is a way to search on Ancestry with date, month, year of birth and birthplace only. I'm sure it would be an enormous list but I'm still curious to see it. Especially if any names might stand out that could be anglicized to GB. It's probably a long shot though.....

Hi Cubby,

Yes, you can search with dates and I have done so extensively. Besides the info already known, the only new info I have found is the passenger list with George J Brody (as per the 1940 census) born 1906, travelling from France to NY in 1946. I posted this a couple of days ago. I will check the list again and see what other names are on the list.

Annasmom, did GB ever mention travelling?

FYI going by what I have found on Ancestry, Brody is a pretty common surname in Russia. Either that or an awful lot of families anglicized their surname to Brody. George is also a common given name.

Thanks, OzzieMum. I did a search too and nothing stood out.

in regards to the accent. my grandmother was 100% Armenian, she was born and raised in Khartoum Sudan. she came to america in 1951. her accent stayed with her till the day she passed in 2010. their was no way she could have hidden it because you would have known she was trying to. so gb could have been born in the usa to Russian emigrants thus making him first generation american born and no accent.

Hi Cubby,

Yes, you can search with dates and I have done so extensively. Besides the info already known, the only new info I have found is the passenger list with George J Brody (as per the 1940 census) born 1906, travelling from France to NY in 1946. I posted this a couple of days ago. I will check the list again and see what other names are on the list.

Annasmom, did GB ever mention travelling?

FYI going by what I have found on Ancestry, Brody is a pretty common surname in Russia. Either that or an awful lot of families anglicized their surname to Brody. George is also a common given name.

No, he never mentioned traveling and never used any phrases or words in another language. The closest he came was in the correspondence with Seka, where he called her "Little Tito" and spoke of the Danube as if he knew something about it.

I managed to find out a little more about the GB from Slovakia, the ship was the "George Washington" supposedly leaving from Le verdon (near Bordeaux) which is unusual as the port generally used for transatlantic crossings was Le Havre, he is listed as being Hebrew

There is also a GB listed as Brady in the 1930 census(I think because of the census officers handwriting) born around 1905 inRussia, living as a lodger ward 3 Suffolk Boston, he is not naturalized, working as a salesman in the restaurant industry, and his mothertongue is yiddish his parents are listed as Russian but their names are not noted

This should also open up an avenue to research his naturalization records too, no?[/QUOTE]

Please see link with signature from U.S. Naturalization 1942.

Attachments

• USNaturalizationRecordsIndexes17941995_74270665.jpg
    USNaturalizationRecordsIndexes17941995_74270665.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 25
I realize this was done in New York. Just putting this out there for reference.

How to Get a Copy of a Deceased Person's U.S. Passport:

Do you think it would be a good idea to see if we could obtain GW's or GB's passport? One can send away for it, perhaps this will let us know, particularily, GW's if he flew Anna somewhere?

I cannot recall if Annasmom had information on Dr. GW's passport, if so, my apologies.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4964765_copy-deceased-persons-passport.html

How to Get a Copy of a Deceased Person's U.S. Passport:

Do you think it would be a good idea to see if we could obtain GW's or GB's passport? One can send away for it, perhaps this will let us know, particularily, GW's if he flew Anna somewhere?

I cannot recall if Annasmom had information on Dr. GW's passport, if so, my apologies.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4964765_copy-deceased-persons-passport.html

Yes, I have copies of all GW's passports EXCEPT the one he told the State Department was burned up. Of course that was the one which would have the visas, entry and exit stamps in it if they existed. As far as I know, there was no GB passport, and I would not be able to obtain it if it existed, not being a blood relative. It was extremely difficult to get GW's passport, even with notarized statements, death certificate, etc.

Yes, I have copies of all GW's passports EXCEPT the one he told the State Department was burned up. Of course that was the one which would have the visas, entry and exit stamps in it if they existed. As far as I know, there was no GB passport, and I would not be able to obtain it if it existed, not being a blood relative. It was extremely difficult to get GW's passport, even with notarized statements, death certificate, etc.

Thanks Annasmom. Well, at least you did obtain GW's, even tho unable to get the ideal one. I take it even if there was another one the State would not have the information taken from it? ie: he went to Italy... who else would have that info otherthan what was on his passport?

I managed to find out a little more about the GB from Slovakia, the ship was the "George Washington" supposedly leaving from Le verdon (near Bordeaux) which is unusual as the port generally used for transatlantic crossings was Le Havre, he is listed as being Hebrew

There is also a GB listed as Brady in the 1930 census(I think because of the census officers handwriting) born around 1905 inRussia, living as a lodger ward 3 Suffolk Boston, he is not naturalized, working as a salesman in the restaurant industry, and his mothertongue is yiddish his parents are listed as Russian but their names are not noted

Are these the same GB, or two different persons?

What year for the George Washington ship and at what age was that GB?

The GB listed as a Brady in the 1930 census. Can you find him on the 1920 Census to see if you can find his parents names? Can we somehow determine at which age this GB arrived in the US?

Or has someone researched this GB from Boston previously?

This should also open up an avenue to research his naturalization records too, no?

Please see link with signature from U.S. Naturalization 1942.
[/quote]

SK, do you have a link for where to find these naturalization records?

We should be able to find a naturalization record for our GB if it occured while he was an adult. I would guess, it would be done with an anglicized name too, if done as an adult.

Though, honestly, I don't know enough about the naturalization process to know if it was most common to be done as children, if family arrived with small children. An area I have no clue about.....

SK, do you have a link for where to find these naturalization records?

We should be able to find a naturalization record for our GB if it occured while he was an adult. I would guess, it would be done with an anglicized name too, if done as an adult.

Though, honestly, I don't know enough about the naturalization process to know if it was most common to be done as children, if family arrived with small children. An area I have no clue about.....[/QUOTE]

Hi Cubby,

Here is the link I missed for the naturalization in USA.

http://search.ancestry.com/iexec?ht...604&fn=George&ln=Brody&st=r&ssrc=&pid=2075061

http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/...T=1&gss=ms_db&gsfn=george&gsln=brody&uidh=dx3

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back