CANADA Canada - Lindsay Buziak, 24, Victoria, BC, 2 Feb 2008

IMO, the female in the distinctive skirt doesn't really seemed to be dressed well for February in Canada. (and for a getaway on foot) The weather archives said it was around 30F with slight wind gusts that day.

Anyway... I've been reading a book published in 1999, Your Secrets Are My Business by Keven McKeown. He's some kind of investigator and the book is supposed to teach you to be security conscious. Lots of exaggeration going on in his tales, imo, but I did run across this odd event that made me think of Lindsay's case and why the killers might be seeking a young and possibly inexperienced real estate agent to show them houses in the million dollar range.

Quoting pages 115 and 116:

He was taking a shower.

She was pacing back and forth in the hall, waiting for the mailman.

It could have been a slice of life from any married couple's daily routine. They'd certainly set it up to look that way.

The house in the Hollywood hills, the BMW in the driveway, the vase of yellow roses sitting on the kitchen counter - all the details smacked of a normal suburban existence.

It was all a sham.

The flowers (visible to anyone opening the front door) were there for show only.

The BMW had been rented using a forged driver's license and a stolen credit card.

And it wasn't even their house.

Posing as a married couple (they were, in fact, brother and sister), the man and woman had a local real estate agent show them the house earlier in the week. While the sister and the agent talked about how wonderful it would be to remodel the kitchen the right way, the brother was unlatching a window in one of the downstairs bathrooms.

They returned two days later to receive the Priority Mail package they'd arranged to be delivered to their "new" address. There was absolutely nothing tying them to the house. They'd given the real estate agent a false name as well.

Doris and John planned to take delivery of their package, lock the door (and the bathroom window), and walk out of the house without anyone knowing they were ever there. Let the various realtors showing the house wonder who left the flowers.

They were in for a rude awakening.

In the wooded hills surrounding the house, half a dozen postal inspectors (as well as a dozen other federal and local law enforcement officers) were waiting, ready to arrest Doris and John Poole on charges of forgery, conspiracy, and mail fraud as soon as they took possession of that package.

The government had been trying for three years to pin Doris and John down to an address. They'd been trying for even longer to tie them to the profits generated by one of the most imaginative real estate scams I've ever heard of. Doris and John, using publicly available records, were able to provide banks with enough information on certain properties to secure loans against them. These loans were for a lot of money.

They ran this scam up and down the west coast. Over the years, the only concrete trail Doris and John had left was the bank accounts they'd set up to help establish their bonafides - accounts they maintained for such a short period of time (a few months) that by the time they could be found and monitored, they'd stopped using them.

Bumping for answers for the Buziak family.

I always thought the murder was a "thrill kill" by the couple. I thought they saw her picture from some real estate/ home sales magazine. I think that is why they have not been caught, it was random.

I always thought the murder was a "thrill kill" by the couple. I thought they saw her picture from some real estate/ home sales magazine. I think that is why they have not been caught, it was random.

Interesting thought... I hadn't really thought of that angle because the police seem so sure it was a targeted or professional hit. They are so tight lipped about this case so I really don't know what evidence or leads they have. This kind of crime/murder is so rare here, I used to think that maybe our police were over their heads especially when her dad was somewhat critical of them. But last month he said he fully supported them and even said that the annual Lindsay walk was to show support for them. It's been over 4 years and everyone is still hoping for this to be solved.

Oddly, there was a Jesse Stone episode a little like this -- couple who murdered together for kicks. Had some of the features of the Buziak case, IIRC.

s

A thought occured to me. Supposedly Lindsay told her boyfriend's mother that she was "afraid of her ex-boyfriend" on the day before she was murdered. No one has ever heard Lindsay say she was afraid of him and in fact she told her dad and friends that she missed him and had thoughts of going back to him. Well did the mother lie? Was she trying to get attention off her son? He was eventually cleared. Could she have possibly paid someone to kill Lindsay? Maybe she didn't like her son living with Lindsay. Just a thought. I wonder if LE looked closely at her, if she has been cleared. The coldcase people on the Dateline show said it could be someone from the real estate business, even from the office where Lindsay worked. The boyfriend's mother was the office manager, someone with a personal angle. Someone in real estate planned this murder. I don't think it was a thrill kill now.

IMO, the female in the distinctive skirt doesn't really seemed to be dressed well for February in Canada. (and for a getaway on foot) The weather archives said it was around 30F with slight wind gusts that day.

Anyway... I've been reading a book published in 1999, Your Secrets Are My Business by Keven McKeown. He's some kind of investigator and the book is supposed to teach you to be security conscious. Lots of exaggeration going on in his tales, imo, but I did run across this odd event that made me think of Lindsay's case and why the killers might be seeking a young and possibly inexperienced real estate agent to show them houses in the million dollar range.

Quoting pages 115 and 116:

He was taking a shower.

She was pacing back and forth in the hall, waiting for the mailman.

It could have been a slice of life from any married couple's daily routine. They'd certainly set it up to look that way.

The house in the Hollywood hills, the BMW in the driveway, the vase of yellow roses sitting on the kitchen counter - all the details smacked of a normal suburban existence.

It was all a sham.

The flowers (visible to anyone opening the front door) were there for show only.

The BMW had been rented using a forged driver's license and a stolen credit card.

And it wasn't even their house.

Posing as a married couple (they were, in fact, brother and sister), the man and woman had a local real estate agent show them the house earlier in the week. While the sister and the agent talked about how wonderful it would be to remodel the kitchen the right way, the brother was unlatching a window in one of the downstairs bathrooms.

They returned two days later to receive the Priority Mail package they'd arranged to be delivered to their "new" address. There was absolutely nothing tying them to the house. They'd given the real estate agent a false name as well.

Doris and John planned to take delivery of their package, lock the door (and the bathroom window), and walk out of the house without anyone knowing they were ever there. Let the various realtors showing the house wonder who left the flowers.

They were in for a rude awakening.

In the wooded hills surrounding the house, half a dozen postal inspectors (as well as a dozen other federal and local law enforcement officers) were waiting, ready to arrest Doris and John Poole on charges of forgery, conspiracy, and mail fraud as soon as they took possession of that package.

The government had been trying for three years to pin Doris and John down to an address. They'd been trying for even longer to tie them to the profits generated by one of the most imaginative real estate scams I've ever heard of. Doris and John, using publicly available records, were able to provide banks with enough information on certain properties to secure loans against them. These loans were for a lot of money.

They ran this scam up and down the west coast. Over the years, the only concrete trail Doris and John had left was the bank accounts they'd set up to help establish their bonafides - accounts they maintained for such a short period of time (a few months) that by the time they could be found and monitored, they'd stopped using them.

Wow. Thanks for posting.

I will go with LE and Dateline pundits here. This was almost certainly a targeted kill by someone she knew. I will even go as far as to say the killers knew her habits and had this planned in a way it was not random. They came after her as the specific target. Further, it came with a revenge message.

Ask yourself this, why activate a untraceable phone in Vancouver then go to Victoria? They are obvious aware of phone trace abilities, and probably buy them more than one at a time activating it just for one crime then throw it away. Premeditated, and not random. Probably have prior criminal records and now graduated to assassination. Key is who hired them. And bet the blonde was a wig or colored deception. Dress was to take eyes off the faces and to be noticed to protect the criminal who did the hiring by being noticed.

I would like to know more of the IP address used to activate it and location to purchase. It was months apart from purchase to use, but indicate they live in the Vancouver mainland area. I am sure some information here is withheld. Might want to consider this a MO for this killer pair and bet they have more unregistered phones. LE might best look into this pattern.

I am not sure I would rule out anyone with what I saw on Dateline and reading up on this case. I ended up with suspicions all over, and would not rule out any of drug involved acquaintances, boyfriend(s) or work related contacts. But I would seriously bet she knew who wanted her dead.

I live in Victoria and this case has always been baffling to the locals. While I have no idea what really happened (and this is nothing but pure speculation), I sometimes wonder if Lindsay happened to overhear or be present near something she "shouldn't" have heard or seen. She may not have even been aware of whatever that may have been yet could well have, as a result, been perceived to be a threat of some sort to whoever committed this terrible act.

I do realize that adds little to nothing towards solving this case. I'm merely wondering what a possible motive could be, given that no motive seems evident (to a layman like me anyway). And that possibility suggests it was someone who was not closely associated with her.

It cannot be mistaken identity; she had previous contact with these people and expressed suspicions about them, even suggesting the man's accent was faked. Given that she was targeted, the one big question that haunts her case is "why?" It may not be obvious. If the persons responsible believed she knew something that she "shouldn't have known", whether Lindsay was even aware, that may be a motive. Perhaps something as simple as sitting next to people at a restaurant, receiving a piece of email that was incorrectly addressed (I get email not specifically intended for me from time to time); random accidental association.

Pure speculation, of course. Lindsay's case is being reduced down to anniversary merit in the media. The subject only seems to come up yearly now.

Welcome to Websleuths, Scottie! :wagon: Great first post. :goodpost:

It's always great to hear thoughts from someone local. I agree with you that Lindsay was targeted, now if we could just figure out why.

Snipped by me:
Pure speculation, of course. Lindsay's case is being reduced down to anniversary merit in the media. The subject only seems to come up yearly now.

Sadly, I agree with this statement. We so need a break in this case.

i think...it might be someone in the Real Estate world. Was someone jealous? Had Lindsey taken business? She was young and beautiful , I can see her being a popular and successful realtor

Welcome to Websleuths, Scottie! :wagon: Great first post. :goodpost:

It's always great to hear thoughts from someone local. I agree with you that Lindsay was targeted, now if we could just figure out why . . .

Thank you, CarolAnn, for you wonderful note of welcome and heart-warming comments. Looking forward to reading the many interesting threads on Websleuths.

All the best :^)

http://www.ctvvancouverisland.ca/2012/05/new-development-in-lindsay-buziak-murder/
"Jeff Buziak’s supporters are also canvassing the neighbourhood where his daughter was killed, distributing letters pleading for tips. He says his desperate drive to solve the case is what gets him out of bed. “I’m a father. Someone butchered my daughter. I think any father would hunt these people down. That’s what motivates me every day.”

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back