Zimmerman's Medications

Status
Not open for further replies.
This whole thread, like TM's drug use is a moot point UNLESS there is absolute proof that GZ's medication made him go over the edge.

So far, nothing to indicate GZ's meds made him go over the edge.

BBM.. We don't know that...Personally, I'm interested in knowing how long he had been taking adderall, who prescribed the medication to him and was he taking and refilling his prescription for adderall on a regular basis. Those for whom Adderall is properly prescribed are monitored very carefully for the first few weeks.

It's a fact adverse short-term psychological side effects can include paranoia, psychosis, anxiety, and severe depression. Also if a person is taking someone else's Adderall, the dose may not be right for them.

Also people have been known to snort Adderall which puts them at an even higher risk for untoward side effects. The potency and the speed of the onset of Adderall are both greatly increased when it's snorted rather than ingested and digested. The risk of dangerous respiratory problems, cardiac arrhythmias, and paranoid or psychotic reactions are all significantly greater.

Bottom line.... Adderall does have a high propensity for misuse, abuse, and dependency.. JMHO

Medications are often prescribed for off label uses. It is very hard to say why someone takes a medication just by the medication.
I concur there are generally accepted uses for many meds, but that, in and of itself, does not explain why a person takes a given med.

For example,I take an antidepressant as a migraine preventative. I don't suffer from depression, just migraines.

Yep...I take anti-depressants for neuropathy! However, I think the little kick of the "happy pill" keeps my temperament pretty mellow.

No really, no one did a tox for GZ? Or do we not know because it hasnt been released? Not when they interviewed him and took his statement?

I think I want to revisit GZ refusing treatment then. Thanks guys!

BBM.. We don't know that...Personally, I'm interested in knowing how long he had been taking adderall, who prescribed the medication to him and was he taking and refilling his prescription for adderall on a regular basis. Those for whom Adderall is properly prescribed are monitored very carefully for the first few weeks.

It's a fact adverse short-term psychological side effects can include paranoia, psychosis, anxiety, and severe depression. Also if a person is taking someone else's Adderall, the dose may not be right for them.

Also people have been known to snort Adderall which puts them at an even higher risk for untoward side effects. The potency and the speed of the onset of Adderall are both greatly increased when it's snorted rather than ingested and digested. The risk of dangerous respiratory problems, cardiac arrhythmias, and paranoid or psychotic reactions are all significantly greater.

Bottom line.... Adderall does have a high propensity for misuse, abuse, and dependency.. JMHO

I've been on Adderall as well as many other meds for my ADD and i've never had any side affects.

Who knows, maybe GZ has ADD or ADHD......

I've been on Adderall as well as many other meds for my ADD and i've never had any side affects.

Who knows, maybe GZ has ADD or ADHD......

I could be wrong about this, but I think I remember reading posts here that said the dr's report said he had adhd. fwiw

Fine with me IF he was prescribed meds for ADD or ADHD. I just want to know when he was prescribed the meds, who prescribed them and IF he took them as prescribed and for how long..
I know for a fact Dr's are not supposed to call in a refill to your pharmacist for Adderall, and Dr's are not supposed to write a prescription for more than a 30 day supply...JMHO

I could be wrong about this, but I think I remember reading posts here that said the dr's report said he had adhd. fwiw

I believe this is allegedly the reason it was prescribed, however, it neither rules out the possibility of side effects from normal use, nor does it negate the high propensity for misuse/abuse or addiction to "college crack." According to recent statistics one in four adult patients taking Adderall either fake or exaggerate their symptoms to get this drug/ Abuse often starts because it either makes people feel better and more confident, heightens their capacity to study and take exams, and/or their ability to lose weight, and the urge to take more than what is prescribed for heightened effect can be profound. Adderall use can slide easily from abuse to addiction because of the way the drug acts on the brain, it stimulates a part of the brain sometimes called the "Pleasure Center.
Increasing tolerance to the drug, causes abusers to take more and more Adderall to achieve the same effect. Misusing or abusing Adderall can cause a range of problems including difficulty sleeping, feelings of hostility, anxiety or paranoia, and a hyper-energetic, aroused state (mania).After abusing Adderall, users often experience a “crash” and suffer from exhaustion, nausea, depression or irritation.

Of course we do not know whether or not Zimmerman was/is abusing Adderall, but we do now he is taking a combo of speed and downers.

Almost every prescription drug comes with so many warnings that if you read the entire list you won't take it!
And almost every prescription drug can cause totally unexpected side effects in some people who take it. Usually, depending on the dose and how long a patient has been on a drug, side effects become tolerated or the dosage or the prescription is changed.
Most prescriptions say not to operate a vehicle or heavy machinery until the effects are known. I have no idea how long GZ had been taking the scripts he was on.
As far as his affect and weight loss since he shot TM, only a psychopath wouldn't wish that this had never happened. Any normal human would be extremely upset and many would lose weight from a loss of appetite. The loss of weight can effect the level of drugs in someone's system.
IMO only a jury can decide where any of this is applicable, if at all. As is should be.
This case has sickened and saddened me. Such a loss all the way around:(

jmho

I believe this is allegedly the reason it was prescribed, however, it neither rules out the possibility of side effects from normal use, nor does it negate the high propensity for misuse/abuse or addiction to "college crack." According to recent statistics one in four adult patients taking Adderall either fake or exaggerate their symptoms to get this drug/ Abuse often starts because it either makes people feel better and more confident, heightens their capacity to study and take exams, and/or their ability to lose weight, and the urge to take more than what is prescribed for heightened effect can be profound. Adderall use can slide easily from abuse to addiction because of the way the drug acts on the brain, it stimulates a part of the brain sometimes called the "Pleasure Center.
Increasing tolerance to the drug, causes abusers to take more and more Adderall to achieve the same effect. Misusing or abusing Adderall can cause a range of problems including difficulty sleeping, feelings of hostility, anxiety or paranoia, and a hyper-energetic, aroused state (mania).After abusing Adderall, users often experience a “crash” and suffer from exhaustion, nausea, depression or irritation.

Of course we do not know whether or not Zimmerman was/is abusing Adderall, but we do now he is taking a combo of speed and downers.

To me, the only part of this post that's currently relevant is the bolded part since we have absolutely no reason to believe that he was abusing a drug that was prescribed to him by a dr. for an dx'd condition. We also do NOT know that he was taking such a combo. All we know is that the drugs had been prescribed to him at some point in time.

This is in reference to soldiers using amphetamines. I believe the most commonly prescribed med to them is Provigil. It keeps them, as well as some others like longhaul truck drivers, awake and alert. However it does have wicked side effects such as aggression.
Do we have actual documented evidence that GZ was taking Adderall? Other than a MSM report?
TIA if any poster can provide a link.

What is temazepam?

Temazepam is in a group of drugs called benzodiazepines (ben-zoe-dye-AZE-eh-peens). It affects chemicals in the brain that may become unbalanced and cause sleep problems (insomnia).

Temazepam is used to treat insomnia symptoms, such as trouble falling or staying asleep.

Temazepam may also be used for other purposes not listed in this medication guide.

weak or shallow breathing;

fast or pounding heartbeats;

confusion, slurred speech, unusual thoughts or behavior;

hallucinations, agitation, aggression;

thoughts of suicide or hurting yourself;

restless muscle movements in your eyes, tongue, jaw, or neck;

pale skin, easy bruising or bleeding, unusual weakness;

fever, chills, body aches, flu symptoms;

problems with urination; or

nausea, stomach pain, low fever, loss of appetite, dark urine, clay-colored stools, jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes).

Less serious side effects may include:

daytime drowsiness (or during hours when you are not normally sleeping);

amnesia or forgetfulness;

muscle weakness, lack of balance or coordination;

numbness, burning, pain, or tingly feeling;

headache, blurred vision, depressed mood;

feeling nervous, excited, or irritable;

nausea, vomiting, stomach discomfort; or

dry mouth, increased thirst.

This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Tell your doctor about any unusual or bothersome side effect. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.

http://www.drugs.com/temazepam.html

Didn't I read Zimmerman had been prescribed Adderall and Temazepam medications before the shooting and didn't the doctor tell him that it was "imperative" he be evaluated by a psychologist?
Mixing uppers and downers is not a good thing..JMHO

I am so stuck on this...wouldnt they do a tox on anyone involved in a shooting? I mean they dont know if George shot TM because TM hit on his woman....kwim?

I am so stuck on this...wouldnt they do a tox on anyone involved in a shooting? I mean they dont know if George shot TM because TM hit on his woman....kwim?

imo, because they didn't "arrest" him b/c of the SYG law.

Well that really brings home the Public Service Message "Speed Kills"

I really don't think you can compare a highly trained Air Force Crew to George Zimmerman.

The only thing I have seen to suggest he had taken Adderall is the Dr. saying he was prescribed it and the 911 call he made and things in it matching up with the listed side effects.

How about long haul truck drivers? Many have taken speed to make those miles, not to just hop them up.

To me, the only part of this post that's currently relevant is the bolded part since we have absolutely no reason to believe that he was abusing a drug that was prescribed to him by a dr. for an dx'd condition. We also do NOT know that he was taking such a combo. All we know is that the drugs had been prescribed to him at some point in time.

BBM. I think we know a bit more than that, as it was GZ who told the EMT's he was taking the "downer" Temezapam. I can't imagine he would do that if he was not taking this med regularly. And while, for whatever reason, GZ failed to disclose his Adderall rx to them - it was noted in his personal physician's report as currently prescribed medication. Also, it stands to reason that he was prescribed Temezapam to counteract insomnia caused by the "upper" Adderall. To quote Emeralgem: "Mixing uppers and downers is not a good thing."

Granted, as I stated, we, at this juncture, cannot conclude whether GZ has only taken Adderall as directed, or whether he is one it's legions of abusers. Nor will we ever know whether he'd been over-medicating that night, since the SPD didn't require a tox screen, and by declining to go to the ER he averted routine drug testing there. ...Without being privy to the other half of the prosecution's evidence against GZ, all we can do is speculate, but based on my familiarity w/this med's over-users/addicts and what I've have read, heard, and seen of GZ's behavior up to now, I can't say I'd be surprised if he's revealed to be one of them.

BBM. Granted, as I stated, at this juncture, we have no idea whether GZ is an Adderall abuser (nor do will we ever know whether he'd been doing so that night, since the SPD didn't require a tox screen, and by declining to go to the ER he averted routine drug testing there).

What we DO know is that GZ told the EMT's he was taking the "downer" Temezapam." While, for whatever reason, GZ failed to disclose his Adderall rx to them - which was noted in his personal physician's report as current medication, it is highly likely that he was prescribed Temezapam to counteract this "upper's" very common side effect of insomnia. To quote another poster "mixing uppers and downers is never a very good idea."

I don't know if taking them as prescribed would amount to mixing them. I imagine docs wouldn't prescribe both if it were a terrible thing. In fact, typing this just reminded me that several days ago my bff showed me a list of the meds her son is a on and one was for adhd, another was for anxiety and another was for insomnia, presumably attributable to the adhd meds. Personally, I wouldn't take all those meds, but I guess it's not that uncommon for them to be prescribed.

Didn't I read Zimmerman had been prescribed Adderall and Temazepam medications before the shooting and didn't the doctor tell him that it was "imperative" he be evaluated by a psychologist?
Mixing uppers and downers is not a good thing..JMHO

As someone who takes Adderall regularly, I am telling you, when a Psychiatrist prescribes Adderall, they usually prescribe a benzodiazapine as well, and tell the patient to always carry it, in the event the Adderall triggers a panic attack.

As for seeing a psychologist, I do not think it had anything to do with the drugs. No matter if you were defending yourself, shooting and killing someone, even when justified is mentally difficult for anyone other than a psychopath. My guess is, that his Dr. recommended that he see a mental health professional for the same reason that it is REQUIRED when there is an officer involved shooting. JMHO, but it had nothing to do with his scripts (which are normal, I have the same ones), and everything to do with the fact that killing someone, especially right in front of you, is something that will mess even the most hardened of us up.

As someone who takes Adderall regularly, I am telling you, when a Psychiatrist prescribes Adderall, they usually prescribe a benzodiazapine as well, and tell the patient to always carry it, in the event the Adderall triggers a panic attack.

As for seeing a psychologist, I do not think it had anything to do with the drugs. No matter if you were defending yourself, shooting and killing someone, even when justified is mentally difficult for anyone other than a psychopath. My guess is, that his Dr. recommended that he see a mental health professional for the same reason that it is REQUIRED when there is an officer involved shooting. JMHO, but it had nothing to do with his scripts (which are normal, I have the same ones), and everything to do with the fact that killing someone, especially right in front of you, is something that will mess even the most hardened of us up.

BBM.. Perhaps, Valium or Xanax but Temazepam, for the most part, is used for short-term treatment of patients with trouble sleeping. IMHO Temazepam would not be the drug of choice usually prescribed by any Dr. to counteract a panic attack someone may experience due to the use of Adderall.
It is generally used for 7-10 days. The drug's major function is to help a person fall asleep faster and decrease the number of times a person may awaken during the night. It belongs to a class of medications called sedative/hypnotics. It acts on your brain to produce a calming effect.

http://www.webmd.com/drugs/drug-8715-Temazepam+Oral.aspx?drugid=8715&drugname=Temazepam+Oral

JMHOOTS

Do we know IF George Z. took the family physican's advice and went in to see a psychologist or did he ignore that advice same as he did when dispatch advised him not to follow Trayvon Martin?

For the record...After checking out Profile Of A Sociopath, I am not convinced GZ doesn't qualify as being a sociopath..JMHO

http://www.mcafee.cc/Bin/sb.html

JMHOOTS

Especially if LE was suspicious of his story...we had a John Doe who was shot after an apparent struggle. LE didnt know what had happened and whether it was a hit, kwim? Wouldnt someone have given GZ a tox to see if he was high, drunk etc?

What is SOP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member