LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Normal route by that empty barn (Blackham complex)?

Her friend, AS and sister CS were on Passe Patout or Good Morning Acadiana and this is the route they gave as her usual:

Ryan to Parkside to St. Mary to St. Landry, down to Frat. Row to get to the new bike path connecting to Congress and takes Congress down to Guilbeau to take a back neighborhood off of Congress to Bonair OR took Congress all the way down to Ambassador and take a left on Ambassador to her street.
-----

I am not a bicyclist. I have only taken my bike to and from work in Lafayette (Strip area to around BK) when I was in college. I wasn't very used to riding around a city so I just picked a route I knew was free from obstruction so I wouldn't have to go on the street. I also would have my DH pick me up when I got off after dark.

So as for myself, I can't really guess why she took a certain route. Also I can say that being a paranoid person, a lot of those places I would have avoided on a bike or on foot at night.

Also I remembered rollerblading downtown with my BF at the time (now DH) during the middle of the night and we would be approached several times by people looking for money or what have you. I thought I remembered my DH rollerblading by himself as well but he said he never would have that late at night.

Not to say it's Mickey's fault... OF COURSE NOT. I just can't guess which way based on safety reasons she might have picked because I'm not an avid cyclist and we have different levels of fear.

BTW, I do remember doing things that I wouldn't do now such as walking to a night class alone.

A great interview by her sister Charlene at the radio station.Her sister talks about the bike.
Lots of lights on wheels that light up when bike is moving.Also blinking lights on the front and back.This is a bike you would definitely notice in the dark.Anyone know if her path took her past any areas with very little traffic.To me this bike would stand out to so many.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1e9s4R5tGbA&feature=player_embedded"]Charlene Shunick Discusses The Search For Mickey Shunick - YouTube[/ame]

It does happen, trust me. ;) She is petite and only 21, probably not "mastered" drinking yet. That has happened to me a couple of times and, believe me, I remember (I am a 5' tall female, well over age 21, LOL)
Hello and welcome to WS, Grizzysmom!

Da## auto correct! Yes, parkSIDE.

I'm just thinking of what I would do....I'd head for Souvenir Gate, because I honestly would never ride a bike or walk that dark area by the Coliseum at night....
I agree kgeaux!! Not to mention, that St. Landry to Coliseum route would take her way out of her way home. Straight down Congress or cutting over to Souvenir Gate would have been the most logical route in my opinion.

"not accusing the guy... but he WAS the last one to see her and is thus "ground zero" for the investigation."

This is my current state of mind.

Possible motive: Shunned?

BW: "No. No, not at all. Me and Mickey actually got to know each other because I was dating her best friend. After me and her friend split up, me and Mickey kind of got a little closer, but it was never anything but platonic, and that was fine. "

<modsnip>

****Not a fan of his drive through answer. Did they use the drive through or not? If I am not mistaken he said they did, then said they "couldnt"???

EDITED: Disregard as I highly doubt the car ride was for food

IMO

IMO, he said, "it was platonic and that was just fine." because he has probably been asked 300 times already by police if he was wanting anything more. I could see why he would say it like that.

He said they "couldn't" drive thru on their bikes so that is why they went back to his place first, to get his car.

<modsnip>

They are asking for valid ID now, TES probably set this rule. Also, I am so glad TES is there, I saw someone on one of the facebook pages mentioning picking up potential evidence and bagging it on their own to bring back to see if was important. That gave me pause, that's for sure.
It's disturbing to think people searching would actually try to bag potential evidence but I'm sure most people aren't aware of protocol in those situations. There are a LOT of people (general public) in the area doing their own private searches. Our team instructions were that if we came upon something that looked like it could be potential evidence to keep everyone at least 10 feet away, call 911 immediately and to stay in the area until LE arrived.

Her friend, AS and sister CS were on Passe Patout or Good Morning Acadiana and this is the route they gave as her usual:

Ryan to Parkside to St. Mary to St. Landry, down to Frat. Row to get to the new bike path connecting to Congress and takes Congress down to Guilbeau to take a back neighborhood off of Congress to Bonair OR took Congress all the way down to Ambassador and take a lft on Ambassador to her street.
-----

l

Thank you for this info. Ok. That bike route makes sense and is semireasonable. The two bad stretches are St. Landry to Colliseum Road and then Colliseum Road to Frat Row. However a college frat row bike path does seem like a risk at night. A perv can wait for young students. Sounds great in daytime but at night I'd prefer the road to the bike path.

&#8226;Her sister told Chris Reed yesterday that it wasn't uncommon for her to leave alone at that time of the morning. http://1079ishot.com/mickey-shunick-sister-charlie-pleads-for-help-video/
&#8226;I'm local and the absolute lack of anything from LE is so concerning. They are not trying to reassure the citizens that we are safe. The most we've heard from them is the # for tip line and that they are pursuing all leads.
&#8226;In the original thread it was asked of crimes were downplayed to keep the rates down and I believe it is since the influx of people arriving here post Katrina.
&#8226;The traffic along these back streets (like the Saints streets area and side roads around Congress) may have been heavier than usual during the time MS left because there was a police DUI checkpoint being conducted on
Johnston St. very close to the Johnston/Congress intersection.
&#8226; I don't understand how not one single person has seen her.

Well now I'm confused, her sister said one thing, according to that article, but her parents and friends say something else.

The quote was confusing to me. I can't tell who the "she" is. Is Charlene maybe saying that Charlene(herself) would never go home alone? I think she might be. Not sure though.

welcome to websleuths GulfCoastKAT! :cheer:

I wish we would hear something more from LE as well

I am a Private Investigator in Lafayette, La and working on this case independently and would like to point a few things out.

While there are many good theories in this thread, it is important to focus on the facts and only the facts to form theories as well as look at the most simple explanations for her disappearance.

Scenario 1: Hit and run. While possible, highly unlikely. The sound of a wreck is unmistakable and loud. Also, someone who accidentally hits someone is more likely to speed off rather than further incriminate themselves by getting out, risk being seen, hide a person and a bike and leave more evidence. So possible, but unlikely

Scenario 2: Abducted by stranger. First, this doesnt happen all that often around here and its normally with children. Most acts of random violence are typically robberies. So its quite possible someone saw her alone and thought to steal her bag and bike. However this is where it becomes highly illogical. Someone just commiting a robbery, again like a hit and run, would not want to further incriminate themselves. These crimes are usually quick. Knocked off bike, stole bag, sped off. Simple. Even if a fight ensued and god forbid she died, the person would most likely get away as fast as possible. There would be evidence of a struggle somewhere and i think she or her belongings would be found by now. Taking a person AND a bike withought leaving a trace is just too difficult and too much trouble for some random crime.

This leaves us with the most likeliest of scenarios. She stopped to visit someone or someone she knew saw her and offered her a ride home. This is where something went wrong and whatever happened happened. This would account for why theres no one who saw or heard anything, why nothing of hers has been found, and the general lack of evidence. This is the most likely situation and is the angle that should be focused on.

Great post! I had thought about a hit and run only because I just recently heard about a case where a couple was drunk and hit a lady and instead of telling LE they buried her and LE said she was likely buried alive so it's still fresh on my mind. When your intoxicated, sometimes you do crazy things! I would think there would be a lot of intoxicated folks out on a Saturday at 2 am and in a college town. But, her being so young and pretty, would lead me to believe she was abducted.

welcome to websleuths lacigirlie! :cheer:

wow..so they gave him a LDT right out of the gate.. that is good news (and verified that they were at Taco bell)..

thanks for posting that link!

•Her sister told Chris Reed yesterday that it wasn't uncommon for her to leave alone at that time of the morning. http://1079ishot.com/mickey-shunick-sister-charlie-pleads-for-help-video/
•I'm local and the absolute lack of anything from LE is so concerning. They are not trying to reassure the citizens that we are safe. The most we've heard from them is the # for tip line and that they are pursuing all leads.
•In the original thread it was asked of crimes were downplayed to keep the rates down and I believe it is since the influx of people arriving here post Katrina.
•The traffic along these back streets (like the Saints streets area and side roads around Congress) may have been heavier than usual during the time MS left because there was a police DUI checkpoint being conducted on
Johnston St. very close to the Johnston/Congress intersection.
• I don't understand how not one single person has seen her.

I'm with you! Maybe LE hasn't said much because they really don't know. They could be just as baffled as us or know a lot more than they are saying. I heard they are getting 15 to 20 leads a day so they may be sorting throught them and following up on them which is a long process. It is disgruntling though. Feels like none of the high profile cases are getting solved except the Bain girls...

Thanks for posting laciegirlie! I guess BW is pretty much in the clear now, but I still kind of think that it was someone she knew.

welcome to websleuths lacigirlie! :cheer:

wow..so they gave him a LDT right out of the gate.. that is good news (and verified that they were at Taco bell)..

thanks for posting that link!

Thanks! I'm local and this is making me so paranoid. I didn't know people rode their bikes around Lafayette in the middle of the night. My husband says it's common though. If you go to bars downtown they watch your bike until you're ready to leave. The vehicle parking can sometimes be difficult, so I can see why people do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarellano5280