LA - ***ARREST*** Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette 19 May 2012 - #34

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to add that there are adult men who have grown up in the area of the Sam Houston National Forest who have gotten lost in it and never been found. So, if a search of that forest had to be done for a body, it would likely never be found.

There are wild hogs, alligators in ponds/creeks/lakes/etc., just a variety of wildlife. Add that to the heat and humidity we've already experienced this summer. It would be a lost cause.

i haven't watched the interview with Mr. Shunick yet, so I'm behind. I'll wait until i watch to read the rest of the thread, but until then I had to say that the above post is not good news. throw in the acreage and it seems pretty hopeless, but they still have to try somehow, if they can't find her here in LA

BBM:

Just three days after the surveillance photos were released, authorities in San Jacinto County, Texas confirmed they found Lavergne's truck abandoned and burned. While investigators say they don't expect to make any more arrests in the case, Tom is convinced someone helped Lavergne.

"It was burned somewhere in Texas. Somehow he got there and got back. Did he ride with someone? Did he walk back? How did he get back?" said Tom.

From WLOX

OT: W-LOX makes me want a bagel. Going grab some dinner, BBL!

KPEL Interview, Audio at this Link!

And so we started investigating his background, with the plate, with the owner Lavergne and his background and then based off of that we were able to discover that, in fact, the vehicle had been burned and then after it was burned, that same day that it was reported stolen. You know, that’s some powerful information on top of some other things that we have that we haven’t released yet. So once we were able to gather everything – to get to the day that we were, which was yesterday – that we sat down with members of the district attorney’s office and we felt we have a strong case to get the warrants that we did, which were first degree murder and aggravated kidnapping – and put this guy in jail.

So, it was burned and reported stolen in the same day according to Mouton? That is different than Craft's press conference info?

I wanted to say that at lot of offshore companies send their workers to safety classes in Texas. I live a few miles from Lawtell and I have a family member who works offshore and a lot of times after he gets home from offshore he has to go to Texas for a week or so for training/classes the company always puts him up in a hotel and they pay for it.
Another thing when my family member leaves for work he always has to go to these far out places in the woods to get to the heliport and he always has to be there in the early morning like 4am.
When I was married my ex-husband worked offshore and I can recall driving him to work and let me say, I never did that again. The drive took us south pass whiskey bay way out to the ends of the earth, down all these rural roads. If this man is guilty there's no telling where he put Mickey.
I want to know if his trucks gps would show all the places he stopped or just show that he drove near the place. Another thing did they search under those cars in his back yard. One last thing a couple of years back before they arrested DTL they said they were looking for a white guy in a white truck. I think it may have been 2004.

I really don't believe he took Mickey, or her body, to TX.
The truck was meant to be stolen sometime after Mickey disappeared, so he would not be able to pretend the person who "stole" the truck took Mickey. I could see if he reported it as being stolen on 5/17 or 5/18, and pretending that the kidnapper was the thief, then he might leave Mickey near the truck.

I think he did, yes. The written press release that they gave out to all media said the 31st and he was basically reading that press release before the Q&A session. Also, the date didn't make sense with his very next sentence: LPD didn't release photographs of his truck until May 26th.

That's what I thought too, but when I went back to the LPD website:

"UPDATE IV: Mickey Captured on Video, White Pickup Sought -- Original Release: May 25, 2012 @ 6:40 pm"

"Lafayette, LA – Detectives were able to identify a bicyclist believed to be Mickey Shunick traveling on Versailles Blvd and Saint Landry Street. At approximately 1:47 am the bicyclist is captured on Versailles Blvd traveling towards St. John Street. She then traveled on St. John Street and crossed over University Avenue, continuing west on St. Landry Street where she was captured on video at approximately 1:48 am. Investigators are seeking information regarding a white newer model four door pickup truck, which was captured on video after Mickey Shunick traveled on both streets."

http://www.lafayettela.gov/police/press_releases.asp?PR_Id=4677

Release on Friday night (25th)-- the catalyst for torching the WT on Saturday (26th)?

Maybe I missed this, so please forgive me. Did The Advertiser ever release photos of the truck footage that they supposedly handed over to LE early Thursday, the day same day BSL was arrested?! I think LE was playing a game of cat and mouse, knowing he was back from offshore ;) Maybe by releasing this info early that morning, they were hoping for a little movement from BSL?

"Early Thursday, Lafayette police officer Kyle Manceaux obtained surveillance video footage from The Daily Advertiser. The footage included views of Bertrand Drive between the hours of midnight and 4 a.m. on May 19. The police department would not confirm whether the footage was related to the arrest."

http://www.theadvertiser.com/articl...rrest-made-Mickey-Shunick-case?nclick_check=1

I don't remember the new members name, she/he did give us a clue so that we may at least verify the rental information, if someone else works for this insurance company, and can access rentals in Texas.

Clue: (like a good neighbor) or was it something else? I know it was a major insurance company clue. Better yet does anyone have their first post?

IMO

I'd be curious to know if any men he met while in prison who now reside in or around the Houston area. He didn't seem to have too many friends in his present life, but perhaps was more social around er...the men he spent 8 years with.

It dawns me on at this point three things:
1. This guy spent time at Central Louisiana State Hospital. For those who are not familiar with this hospital, it houses severely criminally insane folks. I personally visited their forensics unit. which housed at the time probably 20 adult men. I was told by the nurse in charge as I walked throuh the door: Do not lay your keys down. Charles will eat them. While I was visiting one patient put his fist through the door window because another patient had peaked through it and it set the patient off. Hannibal HAS NOTHING on these guys.
2. Someone was paying for all those appeals (4 to 5) when BSL was in prison. Lawyers are not cheap.
3. I first thought that BSL had a female accomplice, and I still believe that. However at this point I believe it is very possible he had a male accomplice also. Someone was funding this behavior and someone else was doing some thinking for him. I say that because there is two different lines of thinking going on here. The first line is whiting out the SO on your driver's license. Not so bright. However, the second line of thinking -- going out of state to buy a truck that was a silverado and not a Z71 so that your friends would think you always drove a Silverado and that was NOT your truck in the video -- now -- that kind of thinking is a different thought process. It is coming from a different mindset. I am sure there is some different contributions here -- I am just not sure where they are coming from. The reason I say this is because the kind of guy who spends time at that particular hospital is the kind of guy who would bump a girl off her bike and kill her, but he is not smart enough to cover his tracks this well by himself.

I also think it is important to find the dates that those houses burned and match them up with the dates someone in that area went missing and was never found. I think he burns to get rid of evidence.

BBM

I have to bring this post to the forefront again as there are some interesting points/contradictions that I believe need to be looked at closer.

Even though the one part is a package which is added to a vehicle I think the parts regarding the different thought processes are important in many ways.

Who does he associate with that has money? Where is the money comming from?

If there is an accomplice involved then we also have to look at the accomplices thought processes and how it affected all of this.

What is your source for the dog info? First I've heard of it and it's interesting. You're being very specific, and so this must not be your opinion - you are operating off of a source.... can you give us more info on what that source is?

The printing services building is quite a long way from the hospital, if it's the one I'm thinking of... all the way across Johnston. Are you saying that she rode down that far, or did she run about 4 long blocks? I'm thinking of the printing service near St. Mary and Rex (on campus) - do I have the location right?

I think she is referring to the printing company on university. Directly across the street from the cemetery. Which does have a coulee behind it.
Hmmmm although I agree very detailed statement made ... Did we find out the source?

LE said they know how he got back from TX and that they do not believe he had an accomplice. So to me, that means he drove back alone. It may even mean they were not able to find anyone who claims to have seen during that time.

I am trying to catch up with reading today's posts. A few pages ago there were some posts about Tasha S. i think she was doing an interview. Any new news there?

That's what I thought too, but when I went back to the LPD website:

"UPDATE IV: Mickey Captured on Video, White Pickup Sought -- Original Release: May 25, 2012 @ 6:40 pm"

"Lafayette, LA – Detectives were able to identify a bicyclist believed to be Mickey Shunick traveling on Versailles Blvd and Saint Landry Street. At approximately 1:47 am the bicyclist is captured on Versailles Blvd traveling towards St. John Street. She then traveled on St. John Street and crossed over University Avenue, continuing west on St. Landry Street where she was captured on video at approximately 1:48 am. Investigators are seeking information regarding a white newer model four door pickup truck, which was captured on video after Mickey Shunick traveled on both streets."

http://www.lafayettela.gov/police/press_releases.asp?PR_Id=4677

Release on Friday night (25th)-- the catalyst for torching the WT on Saturday (26th)?

On Friday the 25th, they released the photo of Mickey and the truck turning onto University. The media and Charlie stated this was NOT the truck they were interested in but one similar like a Z71 that traveled in the same direction as Mickey. The following day they released the photo of truck going in the same direction, along with the University pics.

Finally caught up reading:) good morning to you all! Am I able to watch this nancy drew show? And did anything valuable come from it?

I really do not think Mickey was left in TX. I think he probably left Mickey the very night/morning he took her. I don't believe he took her to his home, either. He had a serious girlfriend, one never knows when one might pop in etc...or be there the next morning. I think this all happened within 2-3 hours and he went back to his house "finished" with everything, until it came time to get rid of his truck.

I think LE had to treat his home as a potential crime scene and take away anything that might tell them something. If a carpet had a stain, for example, they would cut part of that away, and take computers, any other devices, stained clothing, shoes, etc...but it does not mean that Mickey was there for sure. That is what they are trying to determine, IMO.

I think the truck held all of the evidence and even burned, may still hold enough. But as to Mickey's whereabouts-I think she must be someplace within a 25-mile range of where she was taken. A huge area to search, and hoping that pings, etc. can develop some specific locations to search soon.

still catching up, but i think you said this well and that's what i think too. one thing i hope they were able to find from his home is a bag of some sort that he used to take stuff out of his truck before burning it in Texas. I would think that he used a duffle or book bag of some sort rather than a trash bag, so maybe he kept the bag. Maybe that bag has DNA from the truck on it? Can DNA transfer? Like if he put the bag down on his seat, and let's just say Mickey's DNA was on the seat, could the DNA transfer to the bag? Probably not, huh?

Date of loss stated on the claim filed was 5/31. We have what's called a 48 hr theft waiver policy with his particular carrier. It's basically a service we offer where we waive the first 48 hours of rental from the day the car was stolen (not the day you decide to rent the car). He got in the car on 5/31 and charges were started on 6/2 ( calendar day billing ).

Unless he lied ( possible ), he says the truck was stolen on 5/31.

I think she is referring to the printing company on university. Directly across the street from the cemetery. Which does have a coulee behind it.
Hmmmm although I agree very detailed statement made ... Did we find out the source?

BBM

Actually I assume she is referring to the UL Printing Services Bldg on Coliseum Blvd., across from the open field that the fraternities use.

On Friday the 25th, they released the photo of Mickey and the truck turning onto University. The media and Charlie stated this was NOT the truck they were interested in but one similar like a Z71 that traveled in the same direction as Mickey. The following day they released the photo of truck going in the same direction, along with the University pics.

It might have made BSL (because of the May 25th @ 6:40 PM LPD info. release) realize that there were cameras at LCG and if he had been back and forth that his DWTIQ could have been recorded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cindy88