LA - ***ARREST*** Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 #35

Status
Not open for further replies.
chicken fried
Your wanting to be on the jury, reminded me of another famous member of WS.
His on the mark nic was Dick Tracey Orlando, Judge Perry got a chuckle reading our posts. Websleuths made the trial of the century that day!
We could do that again I suppose ......

EDIT: nickname

Honestly, I don't know if I believe this guy is bright enough to have committed a bunch of crimes, as has been suggested so many times. He seems to be borderline stupid to me. He did everything wrong, except, so far, leave Mickey where she could be easily found, but lots of people have done that.

How do we even know he had to get a new license? I'm SURE he was lying about his being stolen just as he lied about his injuries.

1) either his license did not need to be replaced (b/c it wasn't stolen)....in which case he woukd produce the original when renting the Aveo, and again when buying the replacement truck, or

2) he had to go to the DMV to get a replacement now that he told the story about his wallet/license being taken.

Note: I don't know how it works w/ a RSO, who has to renew annually (according to another post), but I had to get a replacement license once (washed mine so the renewal sticker was no longer readable). This was about 2 yrs into my 4 yr license. My replacement license had the same issue date as the original, altho' it was clearly marked "duplicate." It would be interesting to see what the license BSL showed to rental car company & new car dealership showed.

Re: Bourbon Street reference... this was from the hair dresser, correct? Someguy (poster who IDed himself as relative of BSL) said stabbed in New Orleans. Didn't specifically mention Bourbon St., did he? Or did he in a later post?

Has anyone heard if the two endangered runaways from the Lafayette area have been found?

And if he decided to take the long way to or from New Orleans and went over I-55, there are miles and miles over water- and the highway has plenty of shoulder room and it isn't heavily patrolled... and traffic is never really bad through there. Not to mention, if you get off on the I-55 service road there is what they call a "swamp walk" which is basically a VERY primitive wooden walkway that was built out into the swamp. You can literally walk a half mile (or maybe even longer) over water into the swamp. It's completely secluded and dark and noone around for miles. I'm not sure if there are any other places like that around here but it would be the perfect place to get rid of evidence. My husband and I took our daughters out there and didn't stay long- the 3 gators I saw freaked me out and we headed home. Google "swamp walk in ponchatoula" I can't figure out how to post links from my phone.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

Just getting back home and catching up.

Respectfully quoting Foxfire.: Nolaally, prosecutors & others always use the change of venue excuse as an arguement for not releasing info in a missing/murdered person or other high profile investigations. I have dilligently researched, not only LA but many other states and change of venues are almost nonexistent, although routinely filed.

A responsible defense attorney needs to both litigate in preparation for a trial as well as preserve issues for appeal and post conviction. As a matter of human nature, an attorney has a better chance of finding unbiased jurors if they know nothing about a case. Exposure to media creates exposure to information which in turn creates the formation of an opinion, whether intentional or otherwise. A change of venue motion gets an attorney a better chance to find unbiased jurors. Frequently these motions are not granted because a judge may find that the interests of the community where the crime occurred supersedes any perceived prejudice. The kind of proof needed to develop a record for change of venue is tricky and typically relies upon surveys and research. In a sensational crime, this kind of evidence may be hard to show as compelling. Especially in this media saturated age. Nonetheless, the defense lawyer must also preserve the issue for appeal and post conviction. During jurorndeliberations, which arennot recorded or transcribed, it is not uncommon for anjuror to bring up or discuss or secretly rely upon media accounts, even with a strong jury instruction prohibiting such conduct. A lawyer may not discover the impropriety until after the trial and after the appeal in post conviction. In post conviction, a defendants lawyer can actually question individualnjurors about the deliberation process with the jurors consent. If a lawyer discovers the impropriety during post conviction, but failed to file a motion to change venue, he could have waived it. So, defense counsel is being responsible and cautious by filing a motion pretrial even though there may not appear to be much chance of success.

Ok, hope this answers your question, Foxfire. And again sorry to be getting back to you so late.

This is rather long the hubby grabbed the iPad from me and went on a tangent.

He is a plaintiff's attorney and is often appointed to do Pro Bono criminal defense.

chicken fried
Your wanting to be on the jury, reminded me of another famous member of WS.
His on the mark nic was Dick Tracey Orlando, Judge Perry got a chuckle reading our posts. Websleuths made the trial of the century that day!
We could do that again I suppose ......

EDIT: nickname

Trust me - I do NOT want to be on that jury. Have enough problems in my life.

Has anyone heard if the two endangered runaways from the Lafayette area have been found?

And if he decided to take the long way to or from New Orleans and went over I-55, there are miles and miles over water- and the highway has plenty of shoulder room and it isn't heavily patrolled... and traffic is never really bad through there. Not to mention, if you get off on the I-55 service road there is what they call a "swamp walk" which is basically a VERY primitive wooden walkway that was built out into the swamp. You can literally walk a half mile (or maybe even longer) over water into the swamp. It's completely secluded and dark and noone around for miles. I'm not sure if there are any other places like that around here but it would be the perfect place to get rid of evidence. My husband and I took our daughters out there and didn't stay long- the 3 gators I saw freaked me out and we headed home. Google "swamp walk in ponchatoula" I can't figure out how to post links from my phone.

I was wondering about this! Thank You!

Honestly, I don't know if I believe this guy is bright enough to have committed a bunch of crimes, as has been suggested so many times. He seems to be borderline stupid to me. He did everything wrong, except, so far, leave Mickey where she could be easily found, but lots of people have done that.

The Green River Killer, Gary Ridgway, had an IQ score of 82 which is dull normal, also considered borderline mentally retarded. He was convicted of 48 murders. He's confessed to 96 murders and who knows how many more he may have murdered. A low IQ is not the the best criteria to judge these people.

Just my thoughts: As much as I try to look at multiple angles, and as interested as I am in the human psuche, I do currently believe BSL is responsible. I don't know how calculating he is. IMO he's more reactive. I think he has impulse control issues, hurt MS either deliberately ir accidentally. Either way, he had to cover his tracks. I don't think he took MS to his home. That would be TOO stupid. I think he hid MS and the bike early on. Maybe in the same place (Whiskey Bay), maybe not. I don't think she made it to N.O. I wonder how different the scenario would be if BSL managed to ditch the truck in Mississippi (1+ hr from NO), track back to NO, and then report a robbery/car jacking/assault there. One bad event ("unlucky") for BSL versus a robbery/stabbing in NO, truck theft in TX a week and a half later....I'm rambling but I hope you get ehat I mean.

I'm reading backwards to try to catch up so I apologize if an example has been posted. This one is shown on an ID. A DL would be horizontal-
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342241785.272320.jpg
So, he marked of sex offender from right under his photo? That would definitely be noticeable.

I'm reading backwards to try to catch up so I apologize if an example has been posted. This one is shown on an ID. A DL would be horizontal-
View attachment 24488
So, he marked of sex offender from right under his photo? That would definitely be noticeable.
Is this what they look like?

dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls

These are duplicates too! See the "DUP" at the top?

Whether it was poison ivy, poison oak, or sumac, if true it is very revealing, NY625.
This would eliminate most fields, logging roads, power lines, and other cleared areas. This would indicate a densely forested area, imo. Whether he was walking through thick brush, laying down, or digging a shallow grave, he would have been in contact with one of the three. The allergic reaction & spread is much worse during the summer due to new growth and the person sweating..

Although this only eliminates a few areas. Imo, it is a significant indicator as to the topographical area that she will be located.

Any idea of when he was treated for the poison ivy? I'm wondering if this was related to Mickey or whether this was related to when he burned his truck.

Lexy Jones has been found but Tanya Thibodeaux is still missing.

The Green River Killer, Gary Ridgway, had an IQ score of 82 which is dull normal, also considered borderline mentally retarded. He was convicted of 48 murders. He's confessed to 96 murders and who knows how many more he may have murdered. A low IQ is not the the best criteria to judge these people.

Yes but he was not making a bunch of mistakes like this guy; also for a long time, no one was really paying much attention to his victims.

I just don't see BSL as an experienced serial killer, unless he too has preyed on the victims who go practically unreported, as Green River did.

I don't think serial criminals need to be intelligent, but this guy is making basic mistakes that show very little planning ahead, IMO. He is simply reacting to situations as they come up, in almost a comical way, if it wasn't so deadly serious.

Tanya Thibodeaux is still missing--she has been missing since April 21, 2012. She is 5'2 with brown hair and brown eyes and she is from Lafayette. She is now 17 (her birthday is in June)

If he came in on Hwy 90 he would have crossed at the Luling Bridge, and that route wouldn't have taken him close to Jefferson Hwy.

OT, but is this close to where the Luling Louisiana Ferry Disaster happened in 1976? I have never been to LA. but one of my cousins died on this Ferry. Apologize for off topic.

I forgot about this until now but once I was at a bar in downtown lc with friends. I got into an argument with the friend who drove everyone there so I decided to walk to my other friend's house. I wasn't drunk just very irritated and mad that I didn't bring my own car. It was about a twenty minute walk and not long into it I realized I had put myself in a bad situation but I was way too proud to turn around. I was crossing through the parking lot of a school when a truck pulled up. The fact that it pulled in so fast and at an angle in front of me I had an impulse to turn around and run but before anything could happen the friend I had been fighting with pulled up as well. I had never been so happy to see him. It's a shame that as young females we cannot walk or ride our bikes at night. If the government would be harder on people who commit violent crimes maybe this wouldn't be a problem. I say put a microchip in every rso that they can't lock up and throw away the key.

Wondering whether BSL burned his truck because it was caught on camera, or because his blood from stab wounds were inside. If Mickey was fighting him off in his truck than I doubt she would have survived long enough for him to sexually assault her. He would most likely just react and try to disable her. My thoughts are than if he killed her at the initial attack, than he might not bother taking her to his house to sexually assault her. He might bring her there to figure a way to dispose of her body though. Or, he may just have wanted to rid himself of the bike and her immediately. If the latter was the case then I can't imagine him not disposing of the two together. Hate to say this and I just wish there was a scenario that she is still alive. As evil as his face seems to me hers seemed so very angelic.

On topix in Eunice, on July 11th, posted that he was at Opelousas General with cuts on his hand and a possible bite mark and covered in poison ivy but the poison ivy was so bad that they couldn't treat the cuts.

Is this supposedly someone who knew him & saw him there?
Hospitals don't usually refer people to another hospital for surgery, they refer to a surgeon. Did hr reportedly just walk in to the ER?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member