Penn State Sandusky-Report of the Special Investigative Counsel

It's amazing to think that the whereabouts of two of the major players in this scandal -- victim 2 and Ray Gricar -- are completely unknown (at least to the public, anyway).

It seems like the FBI should be trying to find them. I don't have much confidence anything will be done at the state level.

That's what I'm getting at.

I think it's significant that Freeh specifically mentioned that only Sandusky knew the identity of Victim 2.

It's significant because no one else since has been able to establish who Victim 2 was.

It's as if he vanished.

exactly...got it. how can it be that noone has sought the ID of this child? is there a state restriction to seeking out ID's of abused kids?

they found the others, so that cant be. so why didnt they find this one?

and what if anything have they done about it? is the book closed on this child?

wonder what the reaction of the BOt's will be to the Paterno family announcing that they will form a group of their "experts" to dissect the Freeh report and challenge it and, essentially, attempt to resurrect their dead patriarch's reputation by attacking the report?

The Paterno family has thrown down the gauntlet to the Penn State University. The BOT commisioned a report, received the report, and now apparently has accepted its recommendations and wants to implement them.

The Paterno family is going to challenge the report. with its own team of "experts."

Its not close to being over in happy valley folks.

and who is paying for the challenge?

the retirement package the now dead Paterno negotiated with Spanier at the 11th hour, when it was obvious he was going to be forced to retire.

Interesting dynamic. the power of the cult of the individual naturally outlives the individual. it reminds me of Stalinist Russia after Stalin was officially repudiated. The system naturally contains much of what the dead leader produced. These "assets" will resist an attack upon the dead leader, and upon whatever benefits and power they derrived from him.

so the Paternos will hire their own "experts" to challenge the findings ofr an independent investigator that the Penn Sate BOT's accepts.

It will be interesting, costal, to see who is on that list of "experts" the Paterno family will employ; if we are even priviliged to learn that information.

As I see it, the Paterno family has nothing to win with this planned investigation. More likely, they will continue to appear to be the shade of "sour grapes." If they are insistent and push too hard, their attack on the Freeh report will bring the opposite results; they will not be taken seriously. In fact keeping this running battle in the news will give more time for many to make a personal judgement of the Coach. And, that may not be pretty.
I think the best thing for all - the family, the University, the adoring Paterno fans and the detractors is to allow JoePa to rest in peace.

just my )

I got involved in a remodeling project and missed a few months on this case so I was just going back through the news archives and found this (February 25, 2012) -

Federal prosecutors casting wide net in Penn State investigation

Link: http://triblive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/specialreports/pennstate/s_783522.html

With all the focus on the Freeh investigation and the relatively fast-paced Sandusky trial does anyone know the status, if any, of the federal investigation?

With Freeh being a former FBI head the Penn State internal investigation almost takes on a more official feel but I would think the more important (?) investigation would be the federal investigation. The article above mentions subpoenas and obviously, Freeh could not have issued subpoenas for his investigation. Were the federal investigators and Freeh poring through the same documents at the same time? If Freeh was hired by the university does this mean he had priority in terms of reviewing all these documents first? Perhaps this has already been discussed at length but I'm wondering if, with the power (?) of subpoena, the federal investigation will turn up more information.

exactly...got it. how can it be that noone has sought the ID of this child? is there a state restriction to seeking out ID's of abused kids?

they found the others, so that cant be. so why didnt they find this one?

and what if anything have they done about it? is the book closed on this child?

My thought has been that if he hasn't been found, he's not going to be found. My sincere hope is that there's a deeper ongoing investigation.

I'm not accusing anyone of anything. If Gricar can disappear without a trace, it's not a huge stretch that a child whose identity is unknown might also have disappeared.

If no one's located Victim 2 and Freeh specifically mentioned him in his spoken remarks, I think it should be looked into.

this is pure conjecture, but it's all I can see when i look at the pieces

I have not closed the book on Victim 2. I'm going to keep bringing it up until someone tells me that he simply chooses not to come forward. That's not what I'm getting from the Sandusky evidence or the Freeh Report. He's the lost victim.

A lot of my anger in the fall was about no one ever so much as wondering who that child was. No one. Not a single person associated with Penn State knew who that child was or if he was OK or thought to inquire. No one but Sandusky. And then Freeh echoed my concern.

To the best of my knowledge, Victim 2 is the single victim whose actual rape was observed. And he's nowhere.

I got involved in a remodeling project and missed a few months on this case so I was just going back through the news archives and found this (February 25, 2012) -

Federal prosecutors casting wide net in Penn State investigation

Link: http://triblive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/specialreports/pennstate/s_783522.html

With all the focus on the Freeh investigation and the relatively fast-paced Sandusky trial does anyone know the status, if any, of the federal investigation?

With Freeh being a former FBI head the Penn State internal investigation almost takes on a more official feel but I would think the more important (?) investigation would be the federal investigation. The article above mentions subpoenas and obviously, Freeh could not have issued subpoenas for his investigation. Were the federal investigators and Freeh poring through the same documents at the same time? If Freeh was hired by the university does this mean he had priority in terms of reviewing all these documents first? Perhaps this has already been discussed at length but I'm wondering if, with the power (?) of subpoena, the federal investigation will turn up more information.

Freeh was hired by Penn State, so probably didn't have difficulty accessing documents that are the property of Penn State. The FBI & Freeh likely had all of the same documents at the same time, IMO.

This is not the end of Sandusky prosecutions, IMO. Prosecutors took the bulk of the first lot and prosecuted it. Got him off the street while the investigation continues. I think there will be phased charges.

I think it's significant that Freeh specifically mentioned that only Sandusky knew the identity of Victim 2.

It's significant because no one else since has been able to establish who Victim 2 was.

It's as if he vanished.

This is where I would think the federal investigators have an obligation; however, IMO, the real obligation was for Curley (or whoever it was who had the conversation with JS) to get the name of this child for safety purposes.

I just don't understand how someone (JS) could negotiate such a cushy retirement deal (back in '98 or '99?) with all this baggage he had. He's lucky he wasn't turned in back then or fired (versus retiring on what looks to have been HIS terms).

We dont sleuth victims here, but if I were going to I suspect that the investigators already covered looking at the second mile "books" and matching the age ranges of the children attending to this child, and which ones fit Jer's preference. Especially if victim 2 was a foster child.

For me, the question might be what would they do if they found him and it wasnt in his best interests to relive all of this on the stand or if he could no longer speak for himself for whatever reason? They had the ruling of the judge that allowed the testimony of the witness who saw the assault and the testimony of the person he told about it. I think it is brilliant that they got the conviction without the victim.

Freeh was hired by Penn State, so probably didn't have difficulty accessing documents that are the property of Penn State. The FBI & Freeh likely had all of the same documents at the same time, IMO.

This is not the end of Sandusky prosecutions, IMO. Prosecutors took the bulk of the first lot and prosecuted it. Got him off the street while the investigation continues. I think there will be phased charges.

Undoubtedly this is round one. I am not surprised Penn State wants to do some kind of massive settlement.

Maybe this has already been mentioned or posted but in case it hasn't -

Excerpt:

Sandusky had retained access to the club seats since his 1999 retirement. But in July 2011, then-athletic director Tim Curley deleted Sandusky’s name from the annual invitation list.

The report goes on to state Sandusky’s wife called the Nittany Lion Club staff in September, and upon her request Curley reserved his previous decision. Sandusky would attend six home games that season, the report states. Link to full: http://tracking.si.com/2012/07/12/freeh-sandusky-paterno-wins-record/

First off, I assume the word reserved was meant to be reversed. Secondly, I'm guessing that Curley removed JS from the list in July 2011 due to the grand jury investigation. What I find most amazing is that all it took to reverse that decision was a phone call from Dottie Sandusky!

The gist of the Sports Illustrated piece is that Sandusky was at the stadium, in a club seat, October 29, 2011 - just days before his arrest - to watch Paterno break the coaching record. Finally, after he was arrested and released, he called and said he wouldn't be attending any other 2011 games.

Somewhere there's an article about Sandusky's early defense coaching, describing him teaching his players to study how the opposition moved and trick them into believing you were going one way while you prepared a different play. Huge emphasis on deceptive formations.
Jerry often had more than one boy in play.
When he offered a name for Victim 2, I think that was different boy, also taken to the showers but not molested, while the real boy wes frightened into silence... stalked, and could eventually have been killed.

What Penn State Should Tear Down

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB100...28941453632210.html?google_editors_picks=true

It's not about the statue.

In the days since the release of the Freeh Report—Penn State's own investigation of its child sex abuse scandal, helmed by a former FBI director, Louis J. Freeh, which found that top university officials, among them the late football coach Joe Paterno, "failed to protect against a child sexual predator harming children for over a decade"—there's been a rush to redress a horrible offense with a symbolic act, removing a seven-foot statue of Paterno outside the school's football stadium..............

Better to bicker over bronze than look into the soul of a scandal—what created a climate on campus in which principles were suspended, leaders declined to lead, and more victims suffered. So much easier to focus tightly on a sculpture than to zoom out and consider the full canvas.

Because the full canvas is wider than a coach or a handful of officials or even Penn State. It's an athletic culture gone sick, as college sports has grown into a multibillion-dollar business, distorting standards that bind together healthy societies, and pushing imperfect people atop pedestals...........

What happened to the unsavory others didn't happen in Happy Valley. It was considered a sanctuary and when Paterno accumulated a record total of wins, the moralists mounted a high horse.

The high horse turned out to be another kind of myth, and underscored the hazard of casting real people as idols, much less statues dedicated while they're still active and coaching. The heroes at Penn State were proven to be Sandusky's victims, who bravely came forward to speak truth to power, after power utterly let them down...........

Will anyone step in and offer a correction? Deep in Freeh's report, there's a road map. "One of the most challenging tasks confronting the University community...is an open, honest, and thorough examination of the culture that underlies the failure of Penn State's most powerful leaders to respond appropriately to Sandusky's crimes."...............

That's the hard, uncomfortable work, and it can't just happen at Penn State.

When he offered a name for Victim 2, I think that was different boy, also taken to the showers but not molested, while the real boy wes frightened into silence... stalked, and could eventually have been killed.

IA, I don't think the boy JS offered was the one McQueary saw Sandusky molesting but I don't think the real V2 was killed. I think he's probably somewhere out there still. I think he could have been paid off and just disappeared, never to be heard from again.

Sorry for a slight OT, but we are in Forum Land now, and before threads proliferate I wanted to get this out there...

Since the Sandusky case has now evolved into a feautured case discussion forum, someone might want to start a new thread on this particular aspect.

Done.

Forums are a bit different, peeps. For example, we will eventually do away with the General Discussion Thread altogether, and each topic will be assigned its own thread within this forum.

Some threads you might find helpful now or in the future:

- JS Sentencing
- Legal Action Against Spanier
- Legal Action Against Curley
- Legal Action Against Schultz
- Sanctions for Penn State Football? (potential poll thread)
- Statue of JoePa (another good potential poll thread)
- All Things Second Mile
- Paterno Family Response to Freeh Report

And more.

To create a new thread, go to the first page of the forum and look for the "New Thread" button just underneath the Sticky where the old General Discussion forums are.

As we add more threads, please do your best not to turn any of them back into a General Discussion thread--if a comment on the Freeh Report makes you think of something about Spanier, then post it on the Spanier thread.

Also, when you think of a thread topic, check first to make sure it is not a duplicate of a thread that already exists perhaps with a slightly different name.

Enjoy exploring your new space (and thanks to JBean, Kimster, Beach, SoSueMe, and everyone who helped build it for us!)...

:seeya:

Ynot

Penn State report shows limits of campus crime law

http://www.sfgate.com/sports/articl...limits-of-campus-crime-law-3708340.php#page-1

For more than two decades, colleges and universities have been required to publicly share details of campus crimes and report murders, rapes, robberies, arson and other serious offenses to the federal government.

That requirement was apparently unheeded by former Penn State President Graham Spanier, other top officials and the larger ranks of university employees responsible for student safety, the recently released investigation into the Jerry Sandusky sex-abuse scandal concluded. The report by former FBI director Louis Freeh found that, outside the campus police department in State College, "awareness and interest" in the federal law known as the Clery Act was "significantly lacking."

The 1990 law is named for Jeanne Clery, a Lehigh University freshman who was raped and murdered four years earlier by a fellow student at a campus that's about a three-hour drive from Penn State..............

The former assistant football coach is awaiting sentencing after being convicted last month of sexually abusing 10 boys over 15 years in his home, on team trips and in school locker rooms. The school could be fined up to $27,000 per violation and have its federal student aid withheld..............

The university created an online reporting system for Clery Act crimes that same year. By 2011, just one report had been submitted. Broader campus training sessions and outreach efforts drew little participation, and the school's Clery Act policy remained in draft form in November — even as Spanier boasted to Freeh's investigators that Penn State was "big on compliance, more than other universities." The school has since hired a Clery Act compliance coordinator....................

An open mind is the essence of intelligence. It is now clearly proven that despicable Joe Paterno promoted the "cult of personality" from the day he took the Penn State job. From the board of Trustees, down to the janitors, to the students, he controlled them all. Openness of thinking is what higher levels schools are supposed to teach. Not cult ridden mind control programs from behind a veil of secrecy. Just as there is no real help for the poor Sandusky victims, there is little hope for the present and past students of Penn State school of "Paternoism". The Paterno "system" has damaged ever so many people. May we all learn so it does not happen again.

Are the trials scheduled for Curley & Schultz and if so does anyone know the date? TIA

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CSIFLGIRL46
Back