IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
LE are clearly and distinctly discounting (without specifically saying it) the reported sighting of the two girls by Robert Carpenter whose wife was out delivering newspapers between 1-3pm on July 13th. Why? Why? Why? All my opinion and all the regular disclaimers.

The reporter on Nancy Grace specifically said that the neighbor "thinks he might have seen the girls". I'm paraphrasing, but I remember thinking during that interview that the way the reporter said the phrase made it sound as though the neighbor wasn't sure it was the girls. Maybe that's why the sighting isn't being taken as seriously?!

Lyric's mom Misty Morrissey was not in the hospital afaik. That was Elizabeth's mom Heather Collins (heart condition).

You covered all 4 of the reasons I am here:

My:

1. Niece's name: Lyric
2. Sister in Law/Lyrics Mothers name: Misty
3. Their Residence/City: Collins
-------------------------------------
4. Help find the bad guys.

All 100% true and 1000% cosmically weird.

Okay, unlikely hope here, but did the girls do something that they shouldn't have and are hiding?? Naww.....I don't think so. But sure would be nice wouldn't it. If they found something or took it and went there to check it out --- but then what?? No, I'm fairly certain they would have come out of hiding now. Just a bedtime hope. I just think of my son who's 10. He's very independent and I would be beside myself right now.

Hope you are safe girls.

I can say I found it odd as well. He just lives in a weird spot for bike riders to turn around (I was near his house today, I believe). I honestly think he was confusing them with other kids, and/or commenting that kids/riders in general ride by his house. I can't think of any reason they would discount it for no reason, so it may have been speculative or maybe he has been deemed non-credible.

Also, just in general, it seems LE has all along been very hesitant/reluctant to discuss or acknowledge the possibility of an abduction, whereas the family is openly assuming it. The family's "spin" on info seems to lean in that direction, whereas LE's assessment remains neutral.

I am still haunted by the feeling that those bikes were not ridden there by the girls. I don't know why, its just such a perfectly-chosen spot to go to in order to be completely secluded, and the spot is so small. It seems like a perfect spot to hide and/or dump something that you may not want found immediately. I'm wondering if those tracks I found mean anything, like a truck backed in there where they'd be out of sight both from the road and the trail, and threw the bikes over the fence onto the trail, dropping the purse along the way, in an effort to stall/misdirect attention towards the lake.

I think LE is telling us more by what they are NOT saying rather than what they are saying. I don't think the girls are in the lake and I am getting the impression that you don't think they are either - would this be a correct assumption?

eleph

I am a huge fan of facts and of this post. I am not a huge fan of family members offering facts and "knowing" so much.

family: They were abducted
family: They are not in the lake

I tried my best to scan and catch up, but are we dealing with any "Step Fathers" or live in 'Boyfriends" here? If yes, which family? Thanks for your answers in advance.

No stepfathers or boyfriends have been mentioned in any of the msm stories I've found.

The family said they didn't think the girls were in the lake after LE spent several days using divers, sonar and dragging to try to find them. To me, saying they aren't in the lake is a pretty safe bet considering the totality of the circumstances (extensive search of lake, no shoes found, plans to go swimming later in the day, etc).

One of the two mothers (I think it was Heather but I can't recall for sure and can't find the msm story) said that as soon as she heard her daughter was missing, she had an instinctive reaction saying that the girls had been abducted.

I do know that there are other cases where the "mom instinct" was bang on target. I think that many moms do have a fairly good picture of what their child might or might not do and, combined with knowledge of the environment, can add up many disparate bits of information that emerges as a gut reaction.

No guilty knowledge needed.

The reporter on Nancy Grace specifically said that the neighbor "thinks he might have seen the girls". I'm paraphrasing, but I remember thinking during that interview that the way the reporter said the phrase made it sound as though the neighbor wasn't sure it was the girls. Maybe that's why the sighting isn't being taken as seriously?!

Thanks I didn't watch NG. I did watch an interview with Robert Carpenter and his wife where he says it was the two girls who are missing that he saw go by his home.

Here is the interview:

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/Vi...-may-have-seen-girls-on-Friday?nclick_check=1

and 2nd one;

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/article/20120717/NEWS/120717002/?odyssey=nav|head

can any locals tell us if there are abandoned houses in that area?

I do too elepher. It sounds like LE is not too sure about that siting by Mr Carpenter. :waitasec:

MOO

Sounds like they are not sure the girls were there at all. This would discount his theory. Bikes and belongings were placed.

...still, to be able to achieve boredom at such a young age...why? seems as though the child is passed around a lot for supervision. totally understandable. yet...

My nephews at the same age were easily able to achieve boredom.

According to the reading I've done about child development, it's supposed to be normal for children to experience periods of boredom (and to complain about it to anyone within earshot).

In fact, it's when they stop complaining about being bored that a smart parent is alerted to check what the offspring are doing.

Kinda like when things get real quiet.

L.M. facebook account: I reviewed all the postings, looked at some friends and really did not see anything that sent off any red flags. I am basing this on comparisons to some other facebook accounts that we have had occasion to review for some other cases which involved minors. Not many friends and mom Misty is a friend on L.M. facebook so probably monitored activity and friends (I would hope).

There was one FB friend who alarmed me. But he may have been saying things he didn't mean. I can't see any situation where LM seeing his posts would be positive. (Can I say this? Please delete me if I'm out of turn, mods!)

Someone asked earlier and said there are no abandoned houses and all the RSO's have been checked out.

I think LE is telling us more by what they are NOT saying rather than what they are saying. I don't think the girls are in the lake and I am getting the impression that you don't think they are either - would this be a correct assumption?

eleph

Yes, and I've stated that I've felt this way all along. I know this trail and lake so well, I'm on it 2-3 times/week with my kids, sometimes more. That spot is spooky, and I don't care what you come across, I've never met someone comfortable with stopping in that spot. I've read other locals posts on here where they feel the same - we actually pick up our pace there and hustle through that tight little area of the trail. And that is during daytime. I've been thru there with my kids at dusk and after dark, and it is downright scary. I'm a grown man, 230 lbs, capable of handling myself, and I don't linger there. Partly out of fear of a biker careening around that corner and having literally nowhere to swerve, and partly out of concern that it is just so out of sight, and with the highway buzzing by, out of earshot as well, even though you know there are roads and homes just a stone's throw away, if someone was waiting to ambush you, it is a perfect location.

I suppose, now that I type that, it makes it a perfect spot to attempt an abduction, but, as noted, in order to be on the trail, you'd need to be almost a block from your vehicle, leaving it 30 yards up the trail and parked on a grassy spot where a vehicle would be incredibly suspicious, or 15 yards up the trail and then through a thickly wooded area, or across that lawn on the road, where you'd be clearly visible from almost all directions for the length of a city block. All along, however, is the feeling that, literally at any second, a biker/jogger will suddenly appear around the blind corners from either direction. During the day, the trail is just busy enough that this is rather expected. I pass someone on that trail nearly every time I use it, sometimes many people.

OK...I've got the pics on my cpu...anyone wanna cliffs me on how to get them here...and/or link them to a map where I could point out where I was standing when taking them?

I don't know how to directly upload them to this site ... I started a photobucket account to post images. Just upload them there - and then, after they're uploaded, hover your mouse over the image, options appear below the image --> select the bottom option (click on it), that creates a copy, and paste that (control V) into a message. That should work. I can help with a map tomorrow afternoon (in about 15 hours).

LE are clearly and distinctly discounting (without specifically saying it) the reported sighting of the two girls by Robert Carpenter whose wife was out delivering newspapers between 1-3pm on July 13th. Why? Why? Why? All my opinion and all the regular disclaimers.

I'm discounting Mr Carpenter's sighting as well.

For one thing, the bicyclist who swerved to avoid the two bikes on the trail at 12:27 pm seems like a much more credible witness. He has the cell phone call to anchor the time to within a couple minutes.

For another, even though he claimed he was familiar with the girls, he didn't know what colour bikes they rode. He also implied he'd been seeing the two girls around for weeks but Lyric only started staying in Evansdale with Elizabeth 5 days previously.

I don't think Mr Carpenter is lying; I think he is mistaking some other pair of girls for Elizabeth and Lyric.

I may be wrong, maybe Mr Carpenter did see Elizabeth and Lyric.

Another reason LE may be sticking so firmly to 12:15 pm as the last known sighting is that they may not want to tighten up the timeline any further than it already has been. If the girls were abducted (and I am fairly sure they were), then only the perpetrator and the two girls know precisely when it happened.

If LE has it further pinpointed, then they can use that knowledge to help sort through tips for a more efficient use of manpower.

can any locals tell us if there are abandoned houses in that area?

There really aren't many. The houses on the lake are rather nice, the neighborhood is decent, etc. There is a strange garage-only structure standing literally in the middle of that grassy area between Arbutus and the trail, but I would assume it has been checked out. When I was there 3 hours ago, there were 5 police vehicles and a news van, parked down by the trail, all within spitting distance (watermelon seeds, of course) of that garage, which is just that - a garage, with the house that seems should be attached just not there. Over the last 2-3 years, we've seen slow progress on a foundation next to it, dunno by who or for what.

No stepfathers or boyfriends have been mentioned in any of the msm stories I've found.

The family said they didn't think the girls were in the lake after LE spent several days using divers, sonar and dragging to try to find them. To me, saying they aren't in the lake is a pretty safe bet considering the totality of the circumstances (extensive search of lake, no shoes found, plans to go swimming later in the day, etc).

One of the two mothers (I think it was Heather but I can't recall for sure and can't find the msm story) said that as soon as she heard her daughter was missing, she had an instinctive reaction saying that the girls had been abducted.

I do know that there are other cases where the "mom instinct" was bang on target. I think that many moms do have a fairly good picture of what their child might or might not do and, combined with knowledge of the environment, can add up many disparate bits of information that emerges as a gut reaction.

No guilty knowledge needed.

Thank you for this!

See I find this odd too. The Grandma/Aunt's story is firmly 11:30 now, not 12:15, but he continues to say 12:15. He also does not acknowledge the alleged 12:27 bike sighting, the 2:30 sighting by the man saying he saw them riding East, or the man on Lake Ave watering his lawn between 12 - 3. What's up with that? And he did seem to emphasize the bike and purse/bag were there but that did not mean the girls were. AND, at the point of the last presser it had been said that dogs picked up the girls scent at the lake path and on the dock.

"Despite interviews with neighbors near the lake who reported seeing the girls Friday, Abben said the last person to have seen the girls was the grandmother, which was at about 12:15 p.m."

Read more: http://www.kcci.com/news/central-io.../15572188/-/tpswgx/-/index.html#ixzz20wXCaMzW

At this point I believe the girls are in the Lake. Would love to be wrong though.

I just wonder if the older child may have gone to the lake to meet someone from the internet and he grabbed both those poor little girls ? I just pary for the girls and the familys . God let them be safe .There are always so many sex offenders lurking on the internet to trap poor children . I pray I am wrong about this .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member