LA - ***ARREST*** Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 #39

Status
Not open for further replies.
Legally speaking - does the Lafayette Parish grand-jury indictment for Lisa Pate mean that LE believes the murder happened in Lafayette Parish?

We need a legal person.///

I'm guessing because she was from Lafayette and she was reported missing to Lafayette PD and so it's initally and technically their case?

OK guys:

It just hit me.

How is a LAFAYETTE PARISH grand jury allowed to indict BSL for LP's murder, when the prior grand jury AND THE BODY were not in Lafayette Parish????

What the heck is going on here???

ETA: Reporting at the time said LP was last seen in Lafayette! So why was the 2008 GJ in Acadia Parish not in Lafayette Parish???
And why was the 2012 GJ in Lafayette Parish not in Acadia Parish???

Someone explained it earlier in a thread i will try to find cause it explains it better than I can, but its all about jurisdictions. There are several parishes that fall under one jurisdiction. And Acadia & St Landry fall in Lafayette's jurisdiction.

Then why was the 2008 grand jury held in Acadia Parish? Was there maybe an option to take it to Lafayette, for bureaucratic reasons, and they chose to keep it local then?

They are calling the assault "simple battery". And without paperwork being properly handled, I can't imagine how they are going to pursue this charge 12+ years later. JMO

hmm... on a pregnant woman??? wow!
thanks.

Bumped-7 Days ago..

Lafayette police believe Lavergne is more Edward Hyde than Henry Jekyll

Shunick suspect's background one of contradictions includes homicide probe alleged rape (snipped)

All of the above is a contrast to the poster-boy behavior Lavergne demonstrated while serving his sentence in the 1999 case.

At his sentencing hearing on Feb. 25, 2000, Lavergne made a statement after sentencing:

“I apologize for any pain I caused my family and any other families in this process. I am truly sorry and hopefully one day can be forgiven.”

To which District Judge Preston Aucoin replied, “Well, I hope so. You are still young and there is still hope. Best of luck to you and I hope everything works out as well as it can under the circumstances.”

Lavergne completed the Sex Offender Treatment Program at C. Paul Phelps Correctional Center and became a tutor for others.

The program is a voluntary one based upon the teaching of 27 risk factors, understanding of how the factors played a role in commission of an offense and learning interventions which can help prevent a repeat offense.

According to Steven C. Brown, program director at Phelps at the time, Lavergne as a peer facilitator “assists inmates who are currently taking the program, by tutoring in course material, and helping students with their workbooks, handouts, videos, etc. He is prompt, reliable and maintains a positive attitude in his work.”

Brown noted in his January 2003 summary that only a small percentage of sex offenders in prison volunteer for the treatment program and an even smaller percentage actually complete it while in prison.

http://www.villeplattetoday.com/vie...d-rape?instance=secondary_stories_left_column

District Attorney Mike Harson of the 15th Judicial District that includes Lafayette, Acadia and Vermilion parishes, confirmed the 2008 grand jury hearing was about the Pate case.

http://www.theadvertiser.com/articl...arch-still-searching-Shunick-St-Landry-Parish

The Criminal Department is responsible for the filing of all formal charges from the 15th Judicial District Attorney's Office in the Parish of Acadia, Louisiana. This department handles all felony charges that fall under the Louisiana Code of Criminal Procedures and occur within the Parish of Acadia. Misdemeanor charges are handled in the municipal courts, if such occurrence is within their city limits, otherwise our office will receive a Bill of Information/Indictment charging the defendant in our courts.

http://www.acadiaparishclerk.com/new_page_8.htm

I thought they reason the waited to arrest him in Lafayette Parish, was so they could have the case in Lafayette Parish. I may be wrong, but I think I read it in one of the first paper releases, or first presser, about BS Lavergne being arrested.

District Attorney Mike Harson of the 15th Judicial District that includes Lafayette, Acadia and Vermilion parishes, confirmed the 2008 grand jury hearing was about the Pate case.

http://www.theadvertiser.com/articl...arch-still-searching-Shunick-St-Landry-Parish

The Criminal Department is responsible for the filing of all formal charges from the 15th Judicial District Attorney's Office in the Parish of Acadia, Louisiana. This department handles all felony charges that fall under the Louisiana Code of Criminal Procedures and occur within the Parish of Acadia. Misdemeanor charges are handled in the municipal courts, if such occurrence is within their city limits, otherwise our office will receive a Bill of Information/Indictment charging the defendant in our courts.

Thank you! That's what I was looking for. :rocker:

The discussion of "the accident" stops right here. Until someone can provide credible information to directly link BSL to that incident, there is not to be another word said about it on this board.

We've been told three or four versions of the story, and in none of them has it been made clear that BSL was present, nor what role he played. Likewise for LP. A young man lost his life, and a young woman suffered severe injuries. It was a terrible tragedy, and the victims and their families have suffered enough. It's a terrible injustice to them to dredge up rumors without providing FACTS. So again, unless and until someone can provide documentation showing BSL was involved, or someone is willing to become verified and provide a first hand account of the events, the topic is closed for discussion.

Mickey's case would have big in any city, IMO...and on that same note, Lisa's probably would not have been. Just the way it is. If Mickey lived in L.A. with her family, instead of LA, they still would have pushed to get her into the spotlight and would have probably succeeded. And really, outside of the region and surrounding states, her story was NOT all over the place, as one might expect. It got a little bit of national press in the beginning, but then it tapered off, just like Holly's and Lauren's and Katelyn's. All attractive college students with whom middle America can relate...

True, and don't discount the power of social media and networking.

OK guys:

It just hit me.

How is a LAFAYETTE PARISH grand jury allowed to indict BSL for LP's murder, when the prior grand jury AND THE BODY were not in Lafayette Parish????

ETA: Reporting at the time said LP was last seen in Lafayette! So why was the 2008 GJ in Acadia Parish not in Lafayette Parish???

I'm not as up to speed on this as you guys are, but is it possible that they now have evidence that she was killed in Lafayette?

OK guys:

It just hit me.

Someone explained it earlier in a thread i will try to find cause it explains it better than I can, but its all about jurisdictions. There are several parishes that fall under one jurisdiction. And Acadia & St Landry fall in Lafayette's jurisdiction.

Lafayette, Acadia and St. Landry parishes make up the 15th Judicial District of La.http://www.15thjdc.com/site.php

My first time to post a link, hope it works!

I was wondering, considering ALL of the times that BSL apparently went AWOL, why was he not court martialed???? I wonder if he "had so many other irons in the fire" that the Army just didn't want to fool with him.

OK guys:

It just hit me.

District Attorney Mike Harson of the 15th Judicial District that includes Lafayette, Acadia and Vermilion parishes.

Thank you for that :)

Just read it and it seems that there is an 15th-District office in Crowley (Acadia Parish seat). It doesn't explain to me though why a grand jury was held in Lafayette. Crowley is in the 15th District, but that doesn't tell me that all 15th-District cases go to Lafayette. The 2008 LP grand jury was for murder. And yet it was held in Acadia Parish - presumably Crowley.

The venue change is unexplained - to me.

Too bad it doesn't know where Mickey is...

ok clucian, don't get too annoyed with me. i know i'm like a determined child sometimes. but first, i think it was you that explained truth serum on the last thread. if it wasn't, i apologize.

so just because it's not admissable in court, shouldn't they still use in hopes of the possibility of him spilling where Mickey is? i want Mickey to be found, and as the days come and go, i'm worried she won't ever be found :( unless he tells.

Legally speaking - does the Lafayette Parish grand-jury indictment for Lisa Pate mean that LE believes the murder happened in Lafayette Parish?

We need a legal person.///

Mike Harson is the DA for both Lafayette and Acadia Parishes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77