IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #12

Status
Not open for further replies.
look at the FB pages for the girls, the locals have all kinds of events organized and in the works/fundraisers... I do not know if all are given to the bank fund or what, you'd have to ask...

Im just saying that if it were my child, I would be conducting the fund raiser.

Enjoying the conversation, but I have again been reminded that I have my own kids to pay attention to. I normally pride myself on being a good dad, but lately have been too consumed in these two girls. Luckily I still have my kids to enjoy. Be back later.

Okay Jeremy, just kidding, you remind me of my brother.

The other problem is that, in my own opinion, I believe we are filling up prison space with non-violent offenders.

If the US would abandon the war on drugs and decide to treat substance abuse as a medical problem rather than a legal problem, we would free up lots and lots of space in prisons.

Right now, just over 1% of the US population is in jail or prison. That's higher than almost any other industrialised nation. We can't sustain that sort of spending on the prison system and take care of everything else that needs to be taken care of.

For instance, if anyone cares to google on "us bridges needing repair" they may never cross another bridge in the US without a few questions as to the structural safety going through their mind.

Between locking up more pot heads and fixing bridges? I'll always vote for fixing bridges.

Holy crap really? Just over 1%?? That is a LOT more than I would've expected. This isn't exactly MSM but it does look like a legitimate site where I found more stats: http://www.california-criminal-law.com/prisons/index.html. I looked up California specifically because I was trying to find a stat I've heard previously, but this has some national info too. Here's one specific to Iowa, from a government website: http://www.doc.state.ia.us/Publications/QuickFacts2012April.pdf. About 26% drug related crimes as of April 2012.

The stat that I have heard but can't find again, so take it with a grain of salt, is that almost 50% of people in either jail or prison in California were in for crimes related to use/abuse/sale of prescription drugs, mostly painkillers. Personally I'm a whole lot more worried about someone doing meth than painkillers. Either way I don't think locking them up in jail, where they can probably get it anyway, is all that effective. MOO. As for pot, sheesh, I say pass it out! Maybe it'll make them so mellow they'll just stay home and sleep or stare at the TV instead of preying on children. (and yes I'm joking... halfway). All MOO.

I'm sorry I know this is OT and won't help bring the girls home. :( That number just shocked me and I had to look up more info.

:woohoo:
I thought they'd already had fund raiser with the money going to family. Someone please correct me if I'm remembering incorrectly.

Also, at this point I don't think many would be in favor of a fund raiser unless it was managed by a professional for specific use in locating the girls. I know I wouldn't. My opinion only.

Well, we could try to get Leonard Padilla.... Anyone at this point. Maybe a PI would look at the case free, just for the sake of the girls :).

Googled for PI and found someone that boasts a good track record but at $850 a day that is 6k a week. I could throw in a few grand but that wouldn't even pay for his travel expenses. If everyone on WS threw money in the pot, we could pay but then it is just this case. What about all the others that are missing? I have to admit that I have only been focused in on this case, but I realize that there are so many more missing. 50k or even 100k is small price to pay to have your kids back, but there isn't anyone to pay for it. If the skills are out there to find these missing kids, it is a shame that they are cost prohibitive and money is the difference between finding them alive or finding them too late.

I keep thinking they've got to have the money available somewhere to pay the reward right? I wonder if that money would be better spent on a PI.

Okay this is something that has been bugging me and I need to ask. Do any of you think the perp would visit this site?

Im just saying that if it were my child, I would be conducting the fund raiser.

When I look at the people in the family, I wonder just who would be conducting the fundraiser.

If any of the family who has or had substance abuse problems, I doubt many people would donate and they would be raked over the coals for having the nerve to raise money.

The Collins family would be the natural "good guys" to do so. But they have three other children and a seriously ill mother who was supposed to have surgery but the doctors won't do it until her stress levels come down. I think that they have more on their plates than they can deal with in cooperating with LE, trying to keep their other children in some sort of normal state and just get through the day.

That would leave one of the grandmothers. And again, which of them has the time or energy to do it?

I've done fundraising. I worked at a social services type agency that had to raise money and I was given $600 to turn into $4000. I managed to turn it into $28,000 but it was like having a second full time job. There's a zillion tiny details to take care of, none of them difficult to do but each of them eats a certain amount of time and a certain amount of energy.

When multiple posts have been deleted, I guess I'm doing something wrong. I apologize if I said anything wrong. You guys are an incredible group of people and I feel better for having 'known' ya. Keep fighting the good fight. All the best, Jc

WAIT, where are you going? I am confused. I really enjoy reading your post's, and look forward to your opinion...

:fence:
Okay this is something that has been bugging me and I need to ask. Do any of you think the perp would visit this site?

Great question, I have thought that too, on this and other cases...

When multiple posts have been deleted, I guess I'm doing something wrong. I apologize if I said anything wrong. You guys are an incredible group of people and I feel better for having 'known' ya. Keep fighting the good fight. All the best, Jc

Don't run off. Just email a mod, or click on the alert button on your post, and ask politely what happened. If you are breaking the rules in some way, they will be happy to clarify for you. No need to leave. :smile:

I keep thinking they've got to have the money available somewhere to pay the reward right? I wonder if that money would be better spent on a PI.

Too late. In Iowa, reward money goes into an escrow account until the conditions are met for it to be paid out.

At least, big rewards that would attract prosecutorial attention. Small rewards, such as offered for a missing pet, just fly under the radar.

It's a possibility especially if they are searching google for news on the search effort.

Keep in mind that the worst neighbourhood in Iowa would probably make someone from Chicago laugh with disbelief at the low crime rate compared to some Chicago neighbourhoods.

I think the reason why the children of the wealthy are rarely abducted is because the parents can afford to feed their paranoia.

So far as I know, child sexual abuse is no respecter of income levels; 90% of the perpetrators of child sexual abuse are either in the household or well known to the family.

As an example: Rielle Hunter, who has been victimised most of her life, so far as I can see (first by her father, then by the boyfriend who used her in a roman a clef, then by the married guy she thought she had a true spiritual bond with). She came from an extremely wealthy background and it certainly did not protect her.

But there is a big difference between children who are abducted for sexual reasons and killed, and children who suffer from sexual abuse. I see the statistics for one being used for the other here as WS all the time, and I think we need to be more careful. According to statistics, the person who abducts and murders a child is approx 45% likely to be a complete stranger, 45% likely to be an acquaintance or person known to the family and only approx 10% likely to be a family member or intimate person. ( I've rounded out the numbers)
http://www.atg.wa.gov/uploadedFiles...)/Child_Abduction_Murder_Research/CMIIPDF.pdf
Another interesting fact is that the most likely victim of abduction is a blue collar or middle class female in suburbia from a "normal" background.

Do you all honestly believe that money or increasing the reward would do anything? Sorry if that's not what you're discussing, I've just skimmed the last few pages.

Personally, I don't think any monetary sum will do anything. My guess is that 50k or 100k is not worth someone "turning themselves" in to collect. Nor do I believe a PI is going to do any more than LE. It would be different if there were leads to follow.

Could be.

On the whole, I believe it is better for information to be free.

Besides, there was at least one occasion where the perp did visit WS and could not resist posting. <snrk>

Because it's close to home, and your a dad.

I dunno. It's nowhere near home for me and I'm not even a parent and it's hitting me really hard too. :(

One heart wrenching case that was close to home for me is Jaycee Dugard. Maybe it reminds me of her? Or maybe it's just something about these girls that's really touching peoples hearts.

Jacy, don't go, just contact one of the moderators and ask for guidance. They are there to help you.:seeya:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa