Australia Australia - Corryn Rayney, 44, Como, WA, 7 August 2007

Yeah, well not alot of activity on here today.......... AND not even a mention on this evenings television Chanel 7 news at 6pm........ WHAT THE????

Ironically, today appears to have been a very 'newsworthy event'!?

May be everyones sitting tight because, it's all over bar the shouting..(so to speak).

Todays evidence was quite damning IMO.

Just wondering what the DEFENCE has up there sleeve..... if any????

This case seems to be heading SOUTH .... very fast!

Please.......... correct me if I'm wrong!

(Maybe I would just make a LOUSY Judge?)

Reading MSM reports of Mr Clarke's testimony - he seems pretty confident about his findings (which is good for the Prosecution!) and he seemed to handle the cross-examination quite well (also good for the Prosecution).

I read somewhere that the Defense has a UK minerologist that was attending via video link, so you can be sure that they will put someone on to try to discredit Mr Clarke's testimony (e.g., his method is not well known and has not been published in peer-reviewed journals etc.).

Here is a link to The West Australian article on yesterday's events.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/breaking/14494077/mineralogist-called-to-rayney-trial/

I found this sentence in the above article interesting...

"...At several points during lengthy cross-examination Justice Brian Martin appeared to become frustrated with the direction of questioning, saying the court was "not here to skirt around issues"...."

Yes, just go through security on the ground floor and take the lift to the 7th floor. (500 Hay street, brand new building on the corner and next door to the Perth Fire Station).
I was there on Tuesday, plenty of seats throughout the day. People come and go all of the time. Just a hint - you get a better view by sitting at the back on the raised seats, otherwise all the 'big heads' get in your way. Also, you'll have to sharpen up your hearing skills as it' a very large room and there is no sound system.
Good luck ....... If you go, keep us posted!!!!

Thanks Zoro; that's helpful information. I'd like to go, but can't get there by 10am and can't commit to a full day, so the idea of coming and going when you are able to makes it more likely that I'll have a peek at the proceedings.

So frustrating that the physical evidence isn't more definitive - I was sure samples would be identified as coming from a specific location/plant etc

Well Mr Elliot - let's hope you are right about the Locard's Exchange Principle!

Quoting from a seminal book on forensic crime investigation, Mr Elliot described the principle as: "Wherever he steps, whatever he touches, whatever he leaves… will serve as a silent witness against him."

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/wa/14517843/purple-grains-suggest-third-scene-of-interest/

Corryn was a very accomplished seamstress. She made costumes for her daughters at school and her handiwork was admired-this has been reported. So not surprised that glitter,a bead and purple grains found in her car! A third site
of interest? Spotlight maybe ???

I'm only upto page 10, so don't know if this has been suggested yet. But do you think that a paranoid person who is capable of horrid things and is taking part in dodgy business deals who also happens to know the law might take his place card home just so that it's not left there IYKWIM. So not take it for sentimental purposes, but to stop anyone else having access to it, because obviously something like this can place a person in a location.

Does that make sense?

Corryn was a very accomplished seamstress. She made costumes for her daughters at school and her handiwork was admired-this has been reported. So not surprised that glitter,a bead and purple grains found in her car! A third site
of interest? Spotlight maybe ???

BBM

Nice one TweetyPie!!! :floorlaugh:

Lloyd Rayney Murder trial witness threatened
Murder trial witness threatened

by: Paul Lampathakis
April 21, 2012 6:29PM

A THREAT made to a new witness in the Lloyd Rayney murder trial has put pressure on authorities to give an assurance to people who testify that they will be protected.

A Perth man told The Sunday Times that he was “shocked” to be subpoenaed this week to give evidence at the trial.

He feared he or his family would be harmed because he claimed he had previously received an anonymous phone call warning “I’d better not talk” about the case. He said the caller gave details about his family that few were aware of.

The man said he received information about the case in the course of his work and the source had his phone number. There is no suggestion that anyone associated with Mr Rayney made the threat.

A spokeswoman for the NSW Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions, which has responsibility for Mr Rayney’s case, moved quickly to dispel safety concerns, saying: “The office is aware of the issues raised by the witness and will endeavour to ensure the safety of all the witnesses in this matter.”

WA Police also phoned the man on Friday night, soon after the concerns were raised with the DPP, saying that if he received any more threats to immediately contact them. They were also seeking a meeting with him this week about the issue.

The man, who will ask to have his name suppressed during the trial because of his concerns, said he told police about information related to the case that he had received shortly before Corryn Rayney’s body was found in August 2007.

“I just thought, ‘This can’t be true’, so I didn’t tell anyone, but then they found her body, and I couldn’t sleep for three days,” the man said.

“I thought, ‘I can’t just sit on this information. I have to tell the police’.”

He took time off work soon after and went to a police station where he told officers about what he had heard.

“I remember that they (police) basically said at the time that ‘This shouldn’t involve you at all’, and that if they did need anything else they would contact me within a ‘reasonable period of time’,” the witness said.

“Then a few weeks later I got a call from someone on my mobile phone saying, ‘You don’t know me but I know you’, and that I’d better not talk to anyone about what I’d been told.

“I felt worried as they knew facts about my family that not many people were aware of.

“Then this week, nearly five years later, I get a subpoena and I’m told I have to appear in court as a witness.

“And they gave the subpoena for me to my wife, when I’m sure that should only have gone to me.

“So it’s pretty shocking how she found out about it.”

The witness’s concerns follow WA Supreme Court proceedings on Monday, when Mr Rayney’s judge-alone trial was delayed by two months to July 16.

Mr Rayney’s legal team had argued that the case, which is expected to run for up to five months, should be started three months after the original May 14 commencement date, for reasons including an “endless debate about disclosure” between the defence and prosecution.

Mrs Rayney, 44, who worked as a Supreme Court registrar, disappeared on August 7, 2007, after leaving a bootscooting class in Bentley. Her body was found in a bush grave in Kings Park on August 16, 2007.

Mr Rayney, who has always emphatically denied involvement in his wife’s death, was charged with her wilful murder in December 2010.

DOES ANYONE REMEMBER THE ABOVE ARTICLE?
I wonder what he has to say and WHEN he will appear.

Lloyd Rayney Murder trial witness threatened
Murder trial witness threatened

by: Paul Lampathakis
April 21, 2012 6:29PM

The man, who will ask to have his name suppressed during the trial because of his concerns, said he told police about information related to the case that he had received shortly before Corryn Rayney’s body was found in August 2007.

“I just thought, ‘This can’t be true’, so I didn’t tell anyone, but then they found her body, and I couldn’t sleep for three days,” the man said.

“I thought, ‘I can’t just sit on this information. I have to tell the police’.”

DOES ANYONE REMEMBER THE ABOVE ARTICLE?
I wonder what he has to say and WHEN he will appear.

Respectfully snipped

Zoro - Not seen this article before. Thank you - this is why these forums are so good.

I wonder what type of work this person does. Very intriguing

Do you think the info is in favour of prosecution or defense?

Been following up on the locard's exchange principle and rumours about the Rayney house being cleaned before police searched it... there HAD to be physical evidence there if the prosecution is correct.
Wonder if threatened witness a cleaning contractor ? Too obvious?

Read more: http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/t...controversy-20120810-23yhi.html#ixzz23FJwA1UN

Justice Brian Martin has observed bricks in a photo tendered to the court, which were located on a path in front of the Rayneys' Como home, were cleaner than others photographed. He said it was hard to believe the bricks had been cleaned by natural forces.
Thirty-four red bricks were removed from the front path of the Rayney home for scientific testing.

Thanks for your response folks........ mmmmmm, I think the prosecution is looking okay here.

It will be VERY INTERESTING, to hear what this witness has to disclose!!

:worms:

Maybe someone can put in a plausible objective to make me think otherwise...... I love a challenge!

Been following up on the locard's exchange principle and rumours about the Rayney house being cleaned before police searched it... there HAD to be physical evidence there if the prosecution is correct.

Read more: http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/t...controversy-20120810-23yhi.html#ixzz23FJwA1UN

Justice Brian Martin has observed bricks in a photo tendered to the court, which were located on a path in front of the Rayneys' Como home, were cleaner than others photographed. He said it was hard to believe the bricks had been cleaned by natural forces.
Thirty-four red bricks were removed from the front path of the Rayney home for scientific testing.

Thanks Tweetypie

I noted this again

'The particles were among a "dog's breakfast of materials" found when the sill was vacuumed for evidence, said ChemCentre mineralogist Richard Clarke.
He said glass, "purple" sand grains coated in an ink-like substance, glitter and a bead were also found in the vacuumed materials.'

This could open very well for the prosecution. If the Rayney children did artwork outside the home there would be various art supplies - purple coloured sand, inks, beads on the paving which was swept up when Corryns body was dragged - I wonder if the police found any similar items in the girls art supplies?

“I remember that they (police) basically said at the time that ‘This shouldn’t involve you at all’, and that if they did need anything else they would contact me within a ‘reasonable period of time’,” the witness said.

May be this is the person who blew the whistle on the phone tapping. Maybe he had overheard how LR had gotten the phone tapped AND when her body was found it caused him to go to the police.

Speaking of which, I wonder if/when Tim Pearson will be called to the stand!

Respectfully snipped

Zoro - Not seen this article before. Thank you - this is why these forums are so good.

I wonder what type of work this person does. Very intriguing

Do you think the info is in favour of prosecution or defense?

Thanks for the article Zoro. Hadn't seen that one, but it is certainly interesting!

I'm guessing he is a witness for the Prosecution. In the article it says:

"There is no suggestion that anyone associated with Mr Rayney made the threat."

They wouldn't have made that point if the information this man has is not in some way detrimental to the Defense.

Hi Tweetypie

Certainly a possibility. I thought the comment about the clean bricks was unusual - especially because it came from the Judge. You would think that if the Prosecution considered that the bricks had been cleaned to destroy evidence they would have brought it up - but maybe it is yet to come.

The thing that I found a bit difficult about the clean bricks is that if they were cleaned to remove evidence, when could that have been done?

It would have looked pretty suspicious if LR was out there scrubbing bricks after his wife had disappeared. If he hired a contractor to do the cleaning it would also have been strange to have them clean only some of the bricks and not all the bricked area. The Judge observed that the 34 bricks removed by the police appeared cleaner than the other bricks.

Possible occupation of the witness

I wonder if the witness had information about something that means that LR knew she was dead even before her body was found. In the article it says:

"The man, who will ask to have his name suppressed during the trial because of his concerns, said he told police about information related to the case that he had received shortly before Corryn Rayney’s body was found in August 2007." BBM

It's hard to imagine LR being as naive as Gerard Baden Clay - but is it possible that he might have made inquiries about insurance policies or something where he had implied that CR was dead, even before her body was found?

Thanks Tweetypie

I noted this again

'The particles were among a "dog's breakfast of materials" found when the sill was vacuumed for evidence, said ChemCentre mineralogist Richard Clarke.
He said glass, "purple" sand grains coated in an ink-like substance, glitter and a bead were also found in the vacuumed materials.'

This could open very well for the prosecution. If the Rayney children did artwork outside the home there would be various art supplies - purple coloured sand, inks, beads on the paving which was swept up when Corryns body was dragged - I wonder if the police found any similar items in the girls art supplies?

I think the Defense are stretching in trying to imply that there was a third scene. Of course it is logical that in a car used by a mother with at least one young child that there would be a certain amount of child related debris in the car (including purple sand, beads etc.). But I suppose that is the job of the Defense...to introduce doubt about the Prosecution's case wherever they can.

Just found this on the Sunday Times website tonight:

The man who allegedly bugged the Rayneys' telephone, Tim Pearson, is also expected to give evidence this week.

Ms O'Brien, a friend of Mr Rayney who now lives in Queensland, has been put on standby to give further testimony after her evidence to the Supreme Court on Tuesday.

May be this is the person who blew the whistle on the phone tapping. Maybe he had overheard how LR had gotten the phone tapped AND when her body was found it caused him to go to the police.

Speaking of which, I wonder if/when Tim Pearson will be called to the stand!

Yes I have come to exactly the same conclusion Zoro!!

Well all this discussion about soils and seeds is a bit of a conversation stopper. Guess this is what will also happen when GBC goes to trial.

Well all this discussion about soils and seeds is a bit of a conversation stopper. Guess this is what will also happen when GBC goes to trial.

I agree.....an so many contradictions in the reporting of this too. One minute the soil and particles are from the home AND the next minute, he can't be sure.
Come ON!!!...... :banghead:
I bet there are plenty of seats available at the moment.

Hi guys
Been following your posts for a while now. Find you a very reasonable, logical and compassionate group. Not sure that I can add much but this case has touched me deeply. So look forward to more posts

Welcome Tweety Pie

:welcome:

this particular one has been away interstate and out of touch for a week or so

Have there been any dramatic new developments fellow sleuthers?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back