New Developments and General Discussion, 08/10/2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
RE: In court, an evidentiary or preliminary hearing is a legal proceeding in which the prosecutor of a criminal case outlines the evidence warranting the arrest of the defendant. The purpose of the hearing is to prevent a long detainment of a defendant if the charges are unfounded. In the preliminary hearing, the prosecutor must prove that a crime occurred within the jurisdiction of the court and that there is enough evidence to suggest to a reasonable person that the defendant committed the crime.

'Thanx for sharing the link, MonkeyShine'..

I was with the understanding that the evidentiary/preliminary hearing was circumvented by the Grand Jury indictment.. But what do we mere laymen know?
Maybe one of the local lawyers will weigh in with their thoughts..
Not a lawyer, just ethnohistorian. I'm not sure about whether modern American criminal law enters into this, but there is Napoleonic Code here, loosley based on Spanish Siete Partidas law, depending on which historian you believe the most.

I'm not sure what we'll learn this friday. In light of finding Mickey's body and with the way this case seems to progress, it could mean a whole lot of things, IMO. Change of plea, further evidence...? Who knows.

Imo, it is both; a change of plea & further evidence. Seems, that this case is rapidly moving along. I am impressed by the progress of the Judicial process up to this point.

Imo, it is both; a change of plea & further evidence. Seems, that this case is rapidly moving along. I am impressed by the progress of the Judicial process up to this point.

Okay, so if he changes his pleas to guilty, as many of us assume, what else would happen at that time, if anything?

Was the difference for the tools/toolbox?

From the records posted earlier, BSL was allowed $4,000.00 for the tool box.
The burned DWT was a 2011 & BSL replaced it with a 2009 DWT...

My reasoning for the post was that most folks would have purchased a newer vehicle, or at least one as new as the lost vehicle.
What motivated BSL to settle for an older vehicle? Was it for additional travel money should he be forced to go on the run?

Do we know for sure that he got the insurance money before he was charged with the murder? Insurance companies take awhile?

Speaking of military. Someone told me the other day, their friend's son joined the military in lieu of having to register as a sexual offender, after getting caught dating a 16 year old girl, when he was 19-21 years old. Is or was this really an option for sexual pretenders. Is this maybe why BSL joined the military?

He was already in the military when he...did what he did to the girl in Reddell.

From the records posted earlier, BSL was allowed $4,000.00 for the tool box.
The burned DWT was a 2011 & BSL replaced it with a 2009 DWT...

My reasoning for the post was that most folks would have purchased a newer vehicle, or at least one as new as the lost vehicle.
What motivated BSL to settle for an older vehicle? Was it for additional travel money should he be forced to go on the run?

My first guess is that bsl wanted the truck that most closely matched the one he burned so that people would not notice it was a different truck.

I had not seen the amount of the check listed anywhere, and cant imagine why any insurance company would release that information to the public. Was it listed in the court documents?

Also, if the truck was financed, the bank gets paid first. Depending on what kind of interest rate he got he could be upside down in the truck amd owe more than its worth.

According to the police report that I read the amounts of $30,000 for his truck & $4,000 for the tool box were estimated values. He possibly gave the police that dollar amount being that it was on the same day he filed the theft report.

I have not seen anywhere where insurance paid him those amounts and I am not even sure if he was paid yet.

Attachments

• bsl stolen truck report.pdf
    716 KB · Views: 33
Also, if the truck was financed, the bank gets paid first. Depending on what kind of interest rate he got he could be upside down in the truck amd owe more than its worth.

Very true...people are often lucky if the amount the insurance company pays even allows them to pay off the loan...been there, done that (though mine was totaled in an accident that didnt involve fire..lol)

My first guess is that bsl wanted the truck that most closely matched the one he burned so that people would not notice it was a different truck.

I agree. My guess is that once he torched his truck and decided he wanted another one similar to his destroyed one, being the impulsive guy he seems to be, he grabbed the first one he could get quickly, rather than wait for a dealer to locate one elsewhere and arrange to have it sent to them. JMO

I agree. My guess is that once he torched his truck and decided he wanted another one similar to his destroyed one, being the impulsive guy he seems to be, he grabbed the first one he could get quickly, rather than wait for a dealer to locate one elsewhere and arrange to have it sent to them. JMO
I think he did visit a dealer prior to torching his truck (it started with s "D") in Rayne or Latwell maybe?

I think he WAS trying to secure a VERY similar make and model before he did the deed and burned his truck...
IMO his ducks were in a row (or so he thought)

If he had gap insurance, it wouldn't matter what his insurance company paid him. GAP would pick up the remaining amount and pay it off.

Do we know when the memorial is?
I would love to go.

QUOTE=Kateinfl;8261768]"

hugs to all my ws family. has it been announced officially about the memorial? for those of us who are going, could we meet up prior to? i dont know if this is against rules of any kind. just thought it would be nice since we have spent much of the last three months hanging out and fighting and trying to do the right thing.[/QUOTE]

Chicken Fried and I have discussed the possibility of meeting before/after with other members.

We were wondering how many would want to get together.

Please thank this post if you think you would like to meet, so we can get an idea of interest.
[/QUOTE]

That sounds like a wonderful idea, i wish i could be there....i live in Fl...but have been following Mickey's case from the beginning.....just know that my heart will be there....and shedding many tears for Mickey.[/QUOTE]

Based on the search warrant, someone had a 2012 Camaro too. I don't know if that belonged to BSL but he had transportation without his truck if it did.

Here is a copy of the Disclosure, if you haven't seen it. It lists all the items they had search warrants for. Very interesting reading.

Attachments

• Disclosure-Production-Notice-to-Defendant-and-Request-for-States-Discovery.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 64
Not caught up yet and just boucing off your post heidisams re:subject. A Google of Hues Road, Shepherd, TX..... shows the rather short road and there are some houses on it. If my link posts... the "A" is NOT where truck was found, but rather just the googling marker for the road. Wonder where on this road the truck was actually found? Was it into the woods off of Hues Road? Anyone know?
Just an additional thought, wonder if BSL knows anyone who lives on or near Hues Road?

http://maps.google.com/maps?rls=com...a=X&ei=_rEqUP6pDIP48wTy_4CIBw&ved=0CAkQ8gEwAA

If the link doesn't work, just Google and zoom in.

Adding additional information.... there is another portion of Hues Road that runs off of Stringtown Road..... (off of 223).

http://maps.google.com/maps?rls=com...a=X&ei=_rEqUP6pDIP48wTy_4CIBw&ved=0CAkQ8gEwAA

Someone mentioned Coldspring, Texas. Before we knew that the truck was found in Shepherd, we used Coldspring only as a reference point since it's the county seat for San Jacinto County.

When you look at the maps shown above, zoom out and you'll see Conroe to the southwest. The city of Conroe is a popular bedroom community for Houston. Even though the portions of the city closer to I-45 are heavily populated, there are still lots of areas considered a part of Conroe that are rural and wooded.

I drove up I-59 from Spring (about 30 miles south of Conroe) through Shepherd to Livingston recently to look at horse trailers. There's not much up there!!!! IMO it would be unlikely that BSL could have hitched a ride from a rural area of Shepherd to Conroe. It's not even a straight shot. I seriously don't think there's a cab service available for that area. It would have been difficult to travel on foot or a bicycle because of the highways and the darkness. The motorcycle theory seems too complicated.

If I'm reading correctly, the SJCSO report shows the time of offense as 4:00 a.m. - 6:36 a.m., and the call to Montgomery County LE at 6:48 a.m. All on 5/31.

IMO, he had an accomplice drive him from Shepherd to Conroe. I always believed someone provided a ride from the site of the burned truck to wherever he went next, partly because I'm somewhat familiar with the area and know how desolate it can be. IMO he would not hire someone to steal/burn the truck, especially not a stranger. Too risky. Maybe a relative or friend did take part believing they were taking part in an insurance scheme and nothing more serious.

All IMO.

"Perpetuation of testimony"
http://www.katc.com/files/evidencedox1.pdf

Could this be a "confession" given by BSL in court while under oath?

OR could the person he confessed to be testifying as to BSL's
admission of guilt ?

I think as far as Priests go testimony and confession go hand in hand...
or not.
:waitasec: color me confused!

Some info I found on searches about evidentiary hearings:

http://www.legalinfo.com/content/criminal-law/stages-of-a-criminal-case-preliminary-hearing.html

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arraignment"]Arraignment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]
"If the defendant pleads guilty, an evidentiary hearing usually follows. The court is not required to accept a guilty plea. During the hearing, the judge assesses the offense, the mitigating factors, and the defendant's character, and passes sentence. If the defendant pleads not guilty, a date is set for a preliminary hearing or a trial."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Autumn.Doe