Found Deceased VA - Morgan Dana Harrington, 20, Charlottesville, 17 Oct 2009 - #15

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bumping again for Morgan. May her killer be found soon!

I've been VERY much interested in this case ever since reading about it a couple years ago. Recently, with the use of Google Earth, I've been examining the place where here body was found, the distance from JPJ Arena, and also the area of the Fairfax attempted rape. The first thing I started thinking about was the close proximity of colleges to both of the crimes. George Mason University in Fairfax is 4 miles away from the crime scene, and Virginia International University is basically just yards away from the crime. Obviously, JPJ Arena is on the UVA campus. This got me thinking about the possibility that the perp was a student at these times (2005 in Fairfax, and 2009 at UVA).

This belief of mine became deeper while doing more research on all of this. I came across a description of the assailant by the Fairfax victim and it stated he had a zip-up type of sweater and some light pants on (possibly khaki or cargo, etc.). Being a college student back in 2005 myself, I know that wearing nice sweaters (and with zippers) and khakis (possibly cargos) was something I wore all the time during my days at the University of Kentucky. Many other college-aged males wore the same things then as well. Many still do. It's kind of a college, preppy type of wardrobe.

So, thinking about the clothing, really has started to make me convinced that this perp was a college student at possibly George Mason or Virginia International in Fairfax back in 2005. I then began to believe that this perp went on to graduate school (or transfer) at UVA around 2009. I myself went to the University of Kentucky for undergrad and the University of Louisville for graduate school over a period of 7 years.

So again, in conclusion, I think because of the proximity of the crimes to these major schools, as well as his clothing, leads me to believe the perp was a student at the close-by universities at the time of the attacks. He very well could have lived nearby to the attacks (especially the first one) as the Fairfax attack happened at a place close to apartments and townhomes in which some George Mason and Virginia International Univ. students are known to live. He obviously knew where he was taking the victim (back by the pool by the townhomes) after grabbing her and he knew that area. He was also on foot as well in that first attack. Nobody knows how he contacted Morgan at the UVA campus, whether it be on foot or in his car.

Was this guy an undergrad student in Fairfax in 2005 and then a graduate-level student at UVA in 2009? Another possibility is that he could be a professor that worked at both schools during those times? I don't know, but those are my thoughts. If I was the investigators, I would try to get the names of people who lived in apartments or townhouses near the first attack. I would then run those names next to students/professors at George Mason and Virginia Int'l. Univ. in 2005 and at UVA in 2009.

I've been VERY much interested in this case ever since reading about it a couple years ago. Recently, with the use of Google Earth, I've been examining the place where here body was found, the distance from JPJ Arena, and also the area of the Fairfax attempted rape. The first thing I started thinking about was the close proximity of colleges to both of the crimes. George Mason University in Fairfax is 4 miles away from the crime scene, and Virginia International University is basically just yards away from the crime. Obviously, JPJ Arena is on the UVA campus. This got me thinking about the possibility that the perp was a student at these times (2005 in Fairfax, and 2009 at UVA).

This belief of mine became deeper while doing more research on all of this. I came across a description of the assailant by the Fairfax victim and it stated he had a zip-up type of sweater and some light pants on (possibly khaki or cargo, etc.). Being a college student back in 2005 myself, I know that wearing nice sweaters (and with zippers) and khakis (possibly cargos) was something I wore all the time during my days at the University of Kentucky. Many other college-aged males wore the same things then as well. Many still do. It's kind of a college, preppy type of wardrobe.

So, thinking about the clothing, really has started to make me convinced that this perp was a college student at possibly George Mason or Virginia International in Fairfax back in 2005. I then began to believe that this perp went on to graduate school (or transfer) at UVA around 2009. I myself went to the University of Kentucky for undergrad and the University of Louisville for graduate school over a period of 7 years.

So again, in conclusion, I think because of the proximity of the crimes to these major schools, as well as his clothing, leads me to believe the perp was a student at the close-by universities at the time of the attacks. He very well could have lived nearby to the attacks (especially the first one) as the Fairfax attack happened at a place close to apartments and townhomes in which some George Mason and Virginia International Univ. students are known to live. He obviously knew where he was taking the victim (back by the pool by the townhomes) after grabbing her and he knew that area. He was also on foot as well in that first attack. Nobody knows how he contacted Morgan at the UVA campus, whether it be on foot or in his car.

Was this guy an undergrad student in Fairfax in 2005 and then a graduate-level student at UVA in 2009? Another possibility is that he could be a professor that worked at both schools during those times? I don't know, but those are my thoughts. If I was the investigators, I would try to get the names of people who lived in apartments or townhouses near the first attack. I would then run those names next to students/professors at George Mason and Virginia Int'l. Univ. in 2005 and at UVA in 2009.
Your findings make so much sense. You should submit them to LE or to the Harrington's. In addition, wasn't there a t-shirt located in a nearby apartment complex?

Interesting theory, hambone1480, but I'm not sure his age squares with it. The perp was already described as 25-35 in the 2005 attack; that would make him already at or beyond graduate level, so I can't imagine what he'd be doing at UVA four years later. George Mason U is a real school, but Virginia International University seems to be some sort of diploma mill, not a real school with a campus, so I think we can eliminate its relevance entirely. The perp followed that woman with the groceries as she took a shortcut through the back of the apts/condos, so I think he just dragged her off an already sort of dark, woodsy path to an even darker, quieter area just a few feet away. I don't know that he had to be terribly familiar with it to accomplish that. It wasn't well planned; someone came along and startled him, so he didn't choose the best spot for uninterrupted seclusion. Maybe that's why he picked a more isolated spot for Morgan.

Last week I happened to be in the Charlottesville area on Route 29 and I recalled Morgan had been found along this road, so I kept an eye out for Anchorage Farm. I ended up finding it and it was very chilling. I wanted to pay my respects to Morgan.

While there, I drove along Red Hill Road to get a feel for the area, but couldn't remember exactly which field Morgan was found in. I came home and reviewed some of the maps and found that I was very near.

I can't believe this is where Morgan was brought and I still think about her case daily. Praying for a resolution soon.

Attachments

• HPIM6150.jpg
    HPIM6150.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 88
  • HPIM6151.jpg
    HPIM6151.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 86
  • HPIM6152.jpg
    HPIM6152.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 83
Wow, LLLindsayy, you sure were right there! I bet it was chilling.

You wouldn't have been able to see her field from the road -- it's kind of tucked away inside the property, from all reports.

Nice pics! Thanks for sharing.

I hear what you're saying about the age SoothSayer, but I don't think that should be a reason to discount this theory. I say that because people who go to college can be of all ages. There are a lot of students in undergraduate and graduate programs that are in their mid to late 20's, as well as early 30's. In addition, a lot of men can look a little older than they actually are. Also, this person doesn't have to be a student and can work for the universities in various different positions. He could be some type of researcher, professor, janitor, coach, doctor, hospital employee, etc.? I just think the location of these crimes screams out that the perp is a guy with relations to the schools nearby.

I also have some thoughts about the location of the body. I have looked at Google Earth and have read many reports on the location. It seems to me that, at first, there was a belief that someone had to know the area to put the body back there. I think it was a mistake to paint this picture as police may have focused too much on the neighbors/area workers, while the public may have began to only believe that the person who killed Morgan had to work or live in that area. As I continued reading (news stories, other members' posts) and scanning the Google Earth images, I have come to the conclusion that anybody could have found that spot if they were just looking for a random secluded area. I understand that if the perp took a certain route to the location that he could have driven a truck or SUV back relatively close to the area. The perp would then have to remove the victim and carry her through some woods, across a creek, and then lay her down. I think the guy could have gone off away from Charlottesville to take Morgan to a secluded area to do whatever. Once he killed her, he probably was just looking for somewhere that was surrounded by woods and that couldn't be seen from houses. He probably just wanted to get rid of the body and so he took a drastic choice of driving by a nearby house (possibly turning off lights) and then just driving way out into a field. He then probably saw some trees and thought, 'I'll take her back behind there.'

So while I think the man could, indeed, have known the area, I also think that he may not have known the area and could have just found it by chance in a desperate search for a drop-off location.

I hear what you're saying about the age SoothSayer, but I don't think that should be a reason to discount this theory. I say that because people who go to college can be of all ages. There are a lot of students in undergraduate and graduate programs that are in their mid to late 20's, as well as early 30's. In addition, a lot of men can look a little older than they actually are. Also, this person doesn't have to be a student and can work for the universities in various different positions. He could be some type of researcher, professor, janitor, coach, doctor, hospital employee, etc.? I just think the location of these crimes screams out that the perp is a guy with relations to the schools nearby.

I also have some thoughts about the location of the body. I have looked at Google Earth and have read many reports on the location. It seems to me that, at first, there was a belief that someone had to know the area to put the body back there. I think it was a mistake to paint this picture as police may have focused too much on the neighbors/area workers, while the public may have began to only believe that the person who killed Morgan had to work or live in that area. As I continued reading (news stories, other members' posts) and scanning the Google Earth images, I have come to the conclusion that anybody could have found that spot if they were just looking for a random secluded area. I understand that if the perp took a certain route to the location that he could have driven a truck or SUV back relatively close to the area. The perp would then have to remove the victim and carry her through some woods, across a creek, and then lay her down. I think the guy could have gone off away from Charlottesville to take Morgan to a secluded area to do whatever. Once he killed her, he probably was just looking for somewhere that was surrounded by woods and that couldn't be seen from houses. He probably just wanted to get rid of the body and so he took a drastic choice of driving by a nearby house (possibly turning off lights) and then just driving way out into a field. He then probably saw some trees and thought, 'I'll take her back behind there.'

So while I think the man could, indeed, have known the area, I also think that he may not have known the area and could have just found it by chance in a desperate search for a drop-off location.

Hambone, you make some excellent points throughout your post. I don't think the perp had to necessarily be familiar with the area either. I drove along the surrounding roads last month and saw very few cars.

What I'd like to add is that if the perp was not familiar with the area/farm itself, I do not think he/she would have taken Anchorage Farm road back behind the houses and then headed into the field. Prior to having visited the area I was willing to consider this idea, but now I feel very strongly against it. :twocents:

I'll have to go review the maps in order to view what can be seen vs what can be seen in person, but I, myself, felt uncomfortable entering this person's driveway. It very much feels like you're driving onto someone's property (as opposed to driving down a road with several houses). Sure I don't have the mind of a killer who is obviously a risk-taker anyhow, but I felt like I was trespassing simply turning onto the road and not entering the gates onto the farm.

In addition, from route 29 you can see the sign for Anchorage Farm (posted upthread) and then the driveway is at an incline such that you can see the front of one house at the apex, but cannot see anything past that. None of the other buildings/pastures are visible. Unless the perp knew what was behind this house it would be very risky to let him/herself onto this person's property.

Very much MOO.

Yeah, LLLindsay. I agree with you on the route not being off of Anchorage Farm. I think he went off the road in the Blandamar Farm Drive and Waldemar Drive area. I think I can see two houses nearby there, but it seems like the area the perp may have chosen as it is closest to where Morgan's body was found.

I just want the son of a b#@$% who did this to get caught. Her poor parents deserve this guy to get his! Morgan did not deserve this!

Glad to see some activity on Morgan's thread.

Of all the cases I've followed, something about Morgan's haunts me the most. I await the day the person who did this is found out and brought to justice and hope until then, that he doesn't hurt any other women. Unfortunately, we know that's unlikely. Justice for Morgan is safety from one less predator for all women.

Another thought on Anchorage Farms:
I've read that many students would go to Anchorage Farms to party (I guess like have parties in the fields).
We all know Morgan was quite incapacitated from whatever substances she had taken & possibly that fall in the bathroom. She was acting very strangely that night. If she was hitchiking and got into a car with the perp on/near the bridge where she was last seen, is it possible a very inebriated Morgan got in the car & in the course of talking to the driver/perp (if we assume he didn't immediately attack her), that Morgan suggested they go party at Anchorage Farms? Perp realizes here's a chance to get her willingly to go to a secluded spot. He drives her the ten or so miles there, they go out in the field, a very inebriated Morgan think she's just going to continue partying, and he attacks and kills her. Any way this is possible- that Morgan suggested Anchorage Farms as it was a known rural party spot? (Please note that I am in NO WAY blaming Morgan for what happened there).

I think your theory, KTGirl, is a fantastic one. It reflects deep thinking about the context of Morgan's murder. This guy certainly could have told her that there was an huge field party taking place after the Metallica concert at Anchorage Farms. If she was really feeling good, she may have said, "cool, I'll go." I just think it makes a lot of sense. It also explains how the guy got her so far out there in the fields. He could have been like, "it's just through these trees and over this creek."

Thanks so much for throwing those thoughts out there. It certainly is something to consider. It also coincides with my thoughts of this guy being a student or younger type of guy (mid to late 20's) who could have fooled her into to thinking everything was cool.

Another thought on Anchorage Farms:
I've read that many students would go to Anchorage Farms to party (I guess like have parties in the fields).
We all know Morgan was quite incapacitated from whatever substances she had taken & possibly that fall in the bathroom. She was acting very strangely that night. If she was hitchiking and got into a car with the perp on/near the bridge where she was last seen, is it possible a very inebriated Morgan got in the car & in the course of talking to the driver/perp (if we assume he didn't immediately attack her), that Morgan suggested they go party at Anchorage Farms? Perp realizes here's a chance to get her willingly to go to a secluded spot. He drives her the ten or so miles there, they go out in the field, a very inebriated Morgan think she's just going to continue partying, and he attacks and kills her. Any way this is possible- that Morgan suggested Anchorage Farms as it was a known rural party spot? (Please note that I am in NO WAY blaming Morgan for what happened there).

This is pretty much what I think as well. It wouldn't even surprise me to learn that there was a real party in the vicinity, and if her death was more or less accidental (traffic accident, overdose). And yes, not blaming Morgan in any way.

I am glad to see that others are still thinking of Morgan, praying for her and for her family. I cannot believe they have not found the horrid, who killed her. I pray every day that they will find this person and convict them to the fullest extent of the law. What he did is absolutely terrible and I just simply cannot understand why he hasn't been caught. You are all doing a great job thinking and coming up with ideas as to who may have done this. I feel like it could have been a college student as well. One thing that makes me think she may have been taken to a party and then things happened after that, is the shirt that was found on the bush on the corner of grady and 15th street. I know it has been thought by many that the perp left the shirt on the bush to throw law enforcement off, but I am thinking that someone who knows who killed Morgan had access to that shirt...a friend, a room mate or something like that and they put it there because they want the guy to be caught but are too afraid to speak up.
This is all my opinion only. I pray they catch this horrible person soon. He has been free for way too long. God bless Gil, Dan, Morgan and her brother.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni