CO - The Stalking and Mysterious Death of Morgan Ingram #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
For 2012? Wow! I believe the total on the link I posted was for the county. I wonder how Aspen broke their total down. Do you have a link? I'm really curiously about the demographics, too.

Yes, here's the link:

www.aspentimes.com/article/20110927/COLUMN/110929881&parentprofile=search
This is an opinion piece based on fact. This woman is a professional addictions counselor. Read more if you want to know more.
"
Colorado has double the national average, and Pitkin County has triple the national average. The Aspen Valley Medical Foundation commissioned a study in 2009 by the University of Colorado Depression Center, which found that historically a suicide happened every 11 weeks in Pitkin County. I find these very interesting statistics. Having lived in Aspen most of my life, I find it has always satisfied most of my needs and that the beauty of nature always seems to lift me up when I am down. "

Here's another:

According to the Hope Center, Pitkin and Garfield counties have higher rates of suicide than the state of Colorado, which has the sixth-highest rate in the nation. Most years, Pitkin County has three times the national average rate of suicide, but this year, Pitkin County is seeing fewer suicides than usual. However, rates in Garfield and Mesa counties are higher than usual.
link is: www.aspentimes.com/article/20110906/NEWS/110909929&parentprofile=search

Yes, here's the link:

www.aspentimes.com/article/20110927/COLUMN/110929881&parentprofile=search
This is an opinion piece based on fact. This woman is a professional addictions counselor. Read more if you want to know more.
"
Colorado has double the national average, and Pitkin County has triple the national average. The Aspen Valley Medical Foundation commissioned a study in 2009 by the University of Colorado Depression Center, which found that historically a suicide happened every 11 weeks in Pitkin County. I find these very interesting statistics. Having lived in Aspen most of my life, I find it has always satisfied most of my needs and that the beauty of nature always seems to lift me up when I am down. "

Here's another:

According to the Hope Center, Pitkin and Garfield counties have higher rates of suicide than the state of Colorado, which has the sixth-highest rate in the nation. Most years, Pitkin County has three times the national average rate of suicide, but this year, Pitkin County is seeing fewer suicides than usual. However, rates in Garfield and Mesa counties are higher than usual.
link is: www.aspentimes.com/article/20110906/NEWS/110909929&parentprofile=search

Interesting article. Who would have guess Colorado had such a high suicide rate? She was speaking of Aspen, which is Pitkin county, while Carbondale is in Garfield county.

Out of curiosity, I checked, and the population of Pitkin was a little over 17,000 in June 2011, and Garfield county had a population of a little over 56,000. So Aspen, or Pitkin county, has a really high rate of suicide per capita, even compared to its neighbor, Garfield county; but they're both really high. Here in Eugene we average 1 suicide a week, with a population of 156,000.

How sad that people living in such beauty can't find it in their own lives.

Any thoughts on the email hacking?

How hard is that to do?

Could the social environment be a reason for the high suicide rate? There are a lot of very wealthy people who live in the Aspen area. There's probably a lot of pressure when it comes to money, jobs, social status, etc. Also, wealthier areas do tend to have less murders. Morgan's death is in that "gray" area between murder & suicide, but I feel like it would be very difficult to try to pass off most murders as a suicide. And like Morgan's mom is doing, I don't think most people would stay quiet if they felt their family member was killed.

How hard is that to do?

I work in IT and I can tell you that the most common email account that is hacked are Yahoo! accounts. Her post did not indicate the type of emails that were sent from Morgan's acct. 95% of the time, when a Yahoo acct has been hacked, they are usually creating outbound emails linking to "work from home" ads or prescription drug ads.

You can Google "Yahoo account hacked" and see NUMEROUS instances of this.

I would not read too much into this as I have to WEEKLY tell 30-50 Yahoo account holders that their acct has been compromised and they need to change their password.

Yahoo has terrible security and people have even worse password creating methods.

How hard is that to do?

Yes, it is very common. My old yahoo account was "hacked" and it sent out emails to my contact list to the point it drove my friends nuts. I spoke to the IT guy at work who told me this happens all the time, especially with yahoo mail. I changed the password and deleted my contact list and that solved the problem.

How hard is that to do?
From what i understand just depends on how tech savvy one is..imo definitely would be considered a cake walk for some and ive personally known of several who really were not what id call tech savvy yet still managed to hack into the ex-gf/bf email accts..3 i can think of off the top of my head..

How hard is that to do?
It's not very hard to do, especially if you have an easy password.

Could the social environment be a reason for the high suicide rate? There are a lot of very wealthy people who live in the Aspen area. There's probably a lot of pressure when it comes to money, jobs, social status, etc. Also, wealthier areas do tend to have less murders. Morgan's death is in that "gray" area between murder & suicide, but I feel like it would be very difficult to try to pass off most murders as a suicide. And like Morgan's mom is doing, I don't think most people would stay quiet if they felt their family member was killed.

I wonder how much of it is just wanting to close cases as quickly as possible. I was reading a while back about another suicide in Carbondale in March 2011. An on-duty police officer was found shot to death in his car with his own gun 2 blocks from an elementary school; within 2 days it was determined a suicide and the case was closed. That one was most likely a real suicide, but I just can't believe they would decide it that quickly. How much of an investigation could have been done? If they don't do very in-depth investigations of PO's who die violent deaths with no witnesses, how can they be expected to do so for a young girl who dies in her own home. It just strikes me as someone who has been doing the job too long and just doesn't care anymore or has decided he's so good he can just go with his gut feeling when determining COD. MOO

Yahoo has terrible security and people have even worse password creating methods.
SBM

What amazes me is that with all of the accounts that are hacked, there are still all kinds of people who use something like PASSWORD as their password, or something easy to guess like their name, name of someone close to them, a pet's name, etc. If you pick something because it's easy to remember, there's a good chance it'll also be easy for others to guess.

I work in IT and I can tell you that the most common email account that is hacked are Yahoo! accounts. Her post did not indicate the type of emails that were sent from Morgan's acct. 95% of the time, when a Yahoo acct has been hacked, they are usually creating outbound emails linking to "work from home" ads or prescription drug ads.

You can Google "Yahoo account hacked" and see NUMEROUS instances of this.

I would not read too much into this as I have to WEEKLY tell 30-50 Yahoo account holders that their acct has been compromised and they need to change their password.

This. I don't know anything about hacking and I did it once by accident into a yahoo email account - if I can do it without even trying to, it's easy, lol.

I have never been suicidal and every one is different but if I was going to kill myself I would absolutely cancel my Gyno appt.
That was hilarious!
:floorlaugh::floorlaugh:You and me both sister!!!
(Thanks for the humor! Much needed at times.)

I am a local, having lived in this valley for several years. I did not know Morgan but know many people who knew her. Until fairly recently I was even more local and that's probably why I am so interested in the blog and the situation as a whole. Having read through these threads, I have information on two questions that have come up.

One is about the horse facility behind the house. I haven't been on the premises recently enough to tell you whether or not any specific medications are there. But I can say that meds for horses are kept in two main places (feed room and office refrigerator) and are not locked up or monitored in any consistent way. Lots of people are in and out of these two places and it would not have seemed strange for any person who had a horse or rode there to be close to meds.

The second issue is about snow. I clearly remember reading about M's death in the paper, discussing it with people at my house, and realizing certain things. I thought back to the night she died and the next morning (December 2) and remembering what we did that morning -- we went out to play in the first real snow of the year.

Last winter was a very weird snow year in the valley (the ski and tourist industry freaked out completely). We got almost no snow until December 1-2. It is unusual that there would have been no snow at all in Carbondale until then, but that's exactly what happened last year. That said, Carbondale is noticeably warmer than Aspen (being lower in elevation) and snow that sticks in Aspen often melts right off in Carbondale.

3brown...
:welcome4:
You should see about becoming an verified insider as you are a local and could give us some perspectives from there! Thanks for your post!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member