Australia Australia - Corryn Rayney, 44, Como, WA, 7 August 2007

One more thing
The daughters have been absolutely convincing about LR lack of fitness, bad back, weak person physically, "most he can do is change a lightbulb"
... Now a relative of CR in Canada claims LR went to the Gym on a daily basis & bragged about being Brown Belt Karate!

Hi Everyone - Just dropped by to say I have just read this report in today's West

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/newshome/14882464/lloyd-rayney-a-fitness-freak-court-told/

The court room was closed first thing today for about an hour to hear from an unnamed “confidential witness”. Justice Brian Martin said the witness’ testimony would remain confidential, as would several exhibits tendered to the court.

Since when does a court room get closed to hear from an unnamed witness and why would his testimony remain so confidential? This must be the witness who claims he heard about Corryn's disappearance through the course of his work and was threatened if he appeared as a witness. I wonder how crucial this evidence is? Any guesses as to where this person fits into the equation?

What does it matter what Corryn's behaviour was? So far this trial seems to have besmirched Corryn a lot. None of her behaviour is any reason for her deliberate cold blooded murder. It seems to have been forgotten here that she is the victim. It makes me so sick when victim's lives are dragged through the mud and the person made out to be of lesser worth. She was a mother to those two girls, who yes, indeed, are exhibiting some unusual behaviour. What about all the good things in her life? I pray that this guy does not walk.

Money seems to be solving all the kids' problems, they were clearly well looked after him. Seriously don't know where he gets it from, those legal fees would be over a million dollars, majority unpaid.

They've been brainwashed by him. Stupid judge shouldn't of rejected the application to make Caitlyn a hostile witness.

Caitlyn: "he eats pizza with a knife and fork". That statement better of been from when she was 13, otherwise she really is dumb for an oxford student. They'll do anything to stop him from going to jail because his their main provider with the $$$.

Hi KG1

I believe that the witness who testified to a closed court is not Corryn's "Close male friend" I believe it was the person mentioned in this article posted by Zoro some time ago.

I would like to know why it was a closed court rather than an open court with a name suppressed!! This threats against this person must be being taken very seriously indeed!!

Would love to know what he knew.

Lloyd Rayney Murder trial witness threatened
Murder trial witness threatened

by: Paul Lampathakis
April 21, 2012 6:29PM

A THREAT made to a new witness in the Lloyd Rayney murder trial has put pressure on authorities to give an assurance to people who testify that they will be protected.

A Perth man told The Sunday Times that he was “shocked” to be subpoenaed this week to give evidence at the trial.

He feared he or his family would be harmed because he claimed he had previously received an anonymous phone call warning “I’d better not talk” about the case. He said the caller gave details about his family that few were aware of.

The man said he received information about the case in the course of his work and the source had his phone number. There is no suggestion that anyone associated with Mr Rayney made the threat.

A spokeswoman for the NSW Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions, which has responsibility for Mr Rayney’s case, moved quickly to dispel safety concerns, saying: “The office is aware of the issues raised by the witness and will endeavour to ensure the safety of all the witnesses in this matter.”

WA Police also phoned the man on Friday night, soon after the concerns were raised with the DPP, saying that if he received any more threats to immediately contact them. They were also seeking a meeting with him this week about the issue.

The man, who will ask to have his name suppressed during the trial because of his concerns, said he told police about information related to the case that he had received shortly before Corryn Rayney’s body was found in August 2007.

“I just thought, ‘This can’t be true’, so I didn’t tell anyone, but then they found her body, and I couldn’t sleep for three days,” the man said.

“I thought, ‘I can’t just sit on this information. I have to tell the police’.”

He took time off work soon after and went to a police station where he told officers about what he had heard.

“I remember that they (police) basically said at the time that ‘This shouldn’t involve you at all’, and that if they did need anything else they would contact me within a ‘reasonable period of time’,” the witness said.

“Then a few weeks later I got a call from someone on my mobile phone saying, ‘You don’t know me but I know you’, and that I’d better not talk to anyone about what I’d been told.

“I felt worried as they knew facts about my family that not many people were aware of.

“Then this week, nearly five years later, I get a subpoena and I’m told I have to appear in court as a witness.

“And they gave the subpoena for me to my wife, when I’m sure that should only have gone to me.

“So it’s pretty shocking how she found out about it.”

The witness’s concerns follow WA Supreme Court proceedings on Monday, when Mr Rayney’s judge-alone trial was delayed by two months to July 16.

Mr Rayney’s legal team had argued that the case, which is expected to run for up to five months, should be started three months after the original May 14 commencement date, for reasons including an “endless debate about disclosure” between the defence and prosecution.

Mrs Rayney, 44, who worked as a Supreme Court registrar, disappeared on August 7, 2007, after leaving a bootscooting class in Bentley. Her body was found in a bush grave in Kings Park on August 16, 2007.

Mr Rayney, who has always emphatically denied involvement in his wife’s death, was charged with her wilful murder in December 2010.

DOES ANYONE REMEMBER THE ABOVE ARTICLE?
I wonder what he has to say and WHEN he will appear.

Hi KG1

I believe that the witness who testified to a closed court is not Corryn's "Close male friend" I believe it was the person mentioned in this article posted by Zoro some time ago.

I would like to know why it was a closed court rather than an open court with a name suppressed!! This threats against this person must be being taken very seriously indeed!!

Would love to know what he knew.

Hi Mouse Detective,

Yes, I agree with you. I had seen and remember this post by Zoro, but had forgotten about it. This is likely the witness that the court was closed for yesterday, closed for about an hour, and nothing has come out in relation to the testimony given. Corryn's male friend also had name suppressed, and he also gave evidence yesterday I think, or this week anyway, but his evidence was reported. So the closed court must be for the in Zoro's post.
I still don't think that there is enough hard evidence to link LR sufficiently, unless the closed court witness had some stunning new evidence. But as it was only an hour or so duration, then the evidence must have been short, to also include any cross examination in that time. Just my thoughts.

It was mentioned in evidence yesterday by a witness giving video evidence from overseas, that LR had a brown belt in karate. Today medical evidence has stated that CRs neck injuries and bruising could have been from a rabbit punch/s.
Guess what - a rabbit punch is one of the required elements to obtain a brown belt in karate (and in other levels). Interesting.

Does anyone know how long before sentencing..?
I still haven't managed to get into Perth to attend the court, the only time I've ever been inside a court was to do jury duty years ago - in Perth
Do you just roll up & they let you in..? & is it the Supreme court..?

What Sentencing?

The case is point fingers at the WA - Gov and the cops there. Interesting. Medical evidence is shallow.

Yeah I read a lot about Rabbit Punch on google yesterday. Also death by cardio vascular infraction due to the thinning of arteries.

Does this mean it may be a case similar to the taxi driver who had a dead child in his boot for 3 hrs and dumped in a field??

WHAT A DAY!!!!!

Now we have the inference that LR is GAY!! - The Pathologist is saying he can't believe he missed the 'seed pods' on the first observation of CR!!......

WHAT NEXT????

This case is starting to get a real SMELL about it! Somethings not quite RIGHT?

:banghead:

I agree Zoro - no consistency, standard procedures, professional integrity or well documented evidence. Whole case just makes me sick :puke:

I like the bail conditions that allows him to go to the airport drop off point but not into the airport's departure hall where he can hug and kiss his daughter good bye.

About the money going out, he is yet to become super rich but he will once awarded the compensation.

In his mind he must be wondering as to how life would be if the gov didnt spend all that money on the trial and instead deposited into his bank!!

The compensation will be a huge undisclosed sum. Much more than the spending on the actual trial. Everyone will get their share too.

His not getting any compensation.

Police irregularities are nothing to be concerned about. There are way to many conspiracy theories/paranoia associated with this trial.

Dr Cadden was trying to defend himself, when he couldn't believe he missed crucial evidence. Somehow that's turned into a big conspiracy theory that police have planted the evidence. It's utter rubbish and I hope the judge doesn't fall prey to defense dirty tactics.

Not everyone :(

LR will not be convicted as the prosectuion evidence is weak. The case will wind up in LRs Favour. I think thats going to be the outcome
Also LR will then wind up his career after being compensated and will leave to settle in the UK.
Everyone will be back to their lives

Hope you're right Palmy...Dr Cadden even had me thinking! But he was examining Corryn's scalp for injuries not combing through her very thick, curly hair. Also insinuation that he was surprised a police officer arrived before him at the autopsy ....???

Very disturbing that Dr Cadden received an edited video of his examination - I hope the complete video is still available. Very curious ?
au.news.yahoo.com/.../officer-blames-poor-skill-for-edited-video/

Wow - the police seem to have stuffed this case up completely. Someone like LR would know many of the flaws in the police processes and would know exactly how to trip them up. The intelligence of the average police officer would be no match for his.

I have said all along that the place-card is critical in this murder. Something happened to a friend of mine this week and it has given me a new theory on another possible suspect. What if on the night of the dinner party LR hooked up with someone else who attended - his wife and girls were away in Melbourne. Could that place card have fallen on the bedroom floor of a woman whose partner was also away and he discovered it later and decided to take out his revenge?

Just putting an alternative theory into the mix.

I reckon police stuff up all the time, we just don't get to hear up about it on the news. I don't think it will interfere with the decision the judge makes. Not everyone can do everything perfectly according to rules/procedures.

Can incorrect procedures mean that some evidence may be inadmissible e.g. recorded phone conversations with LR obtained deceptively by police sergeant Mark McKenzie were rejected this week from evidence ! Valuable evidence - as LR was the one doing the questioning and seemed to be one step ahead of police. He even asked why a handkerchief was taken from his home!!! He knew he was a suspect in early September 2007 if not before and proceeded to destroy hard drives etc. well before the home was searched on 20th Sept 07.

I just hope seed pods aren't excluded because they weren't photographed in situ? I think they are vital in determining murder site but not killer. :maddening:

The judge didn't allow the phone calls as evidence because they had no value. It didn't bother me too much because I didn't see much value in them, because you could assume LR was just asking innocent questions and surely would have known the police would be recording whatever he says?!

I just wish the verdict would come this week or next, I'm getting tired of waiting! Thank god the defence no longer wanted to continue with talking about alternative suspects because that could of added weeks to the trial! Anyone else think that the defence case is weak?

Yeah you're correct about Judge's reason for not admitting tapes...maybe he would have overlooked procedure if more exact, less inferential info?
Obviously defence will continue to pursue an alternate crime scene. Hope prosecutor addresses defence's claim that 2mg/lt of caffeine in Corryn's blood today. As this gives weight to her going to Vic Park after bootscooting if indeed toxocology results mean she consumed coffee 30 minutes before her demise. Or maybe a diet coke with take-away 3-4 hours earlier??? That's what I want to hear today!!!!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆
Back