Hurricane Sandy updates

Thoughts and prayers for my fellow 'sleuthers who are in the path of the Frankenstorm. Please prepare appropriately and evacuate if it's suggested/required in your community. Don't forget about pets as they might be frightened and require special attention during the weather event.

During the storm, The Weather Channel has suspended regular programming and has been covering the storm 24/7. As long as you have power, TWC has the latest details on the evolving weather event.

Be well and stay safe.

Just a few suggestions aside from the water and canned goods essentials:

For those with smartphones, there are many apps that might come in handy. There is a flashlight app, local/national news and weather apps, tunein radio app, scanner apps for police scanners, network apps that allow you to watch TV (nbc, abcplayer, abcfamily, cbs, fox, disney, etc.), kindle (offers 1000's of free books) and skyfire browser that allows flash video to play.
These are just a few, I'm sure there are hundreds more.
You can use your automobile charger to charge your phones and handheld game systems (kids)...when we are without power I even put my sons nebulizer in the car and give him his breathing treatments there. :wink:

:please: everyone stay safe and warm...It seems that these disastrous storms always bring us closer together.

Anyone who is in Sandy’s projected path, I wish safety for you and yours.

From a hurricane veteran: Try not to get too caught up in the “doom and gloom news." As they say, prepare for the worst but hope for the best. If it's advised that evacuation in your area is necessary, take the advice.

Also, when stocking up on supplies: Remember – you can never have too much toilet paper or beer.

All the best,
wishuwerehere

:floorlaugh: If I'm ever in a hurricane wish, I wanna be in it with you! :floorlaugh:
Redneck-Hurricane-Alert.jpg

In NJ (near NYC), not sure what to expect but I knew WS would let me know where the latest info is!! Didn't know TWC was giving full coverage until I learned it here.

Praying for all who will be affected by the storm and please keep my husband and his men in your prayers...he owns a tree service business and they're already inundated with calls from people saying "I should have taken of this a year ago, but can you come right now before the storm?"!!!

Here is the NJ Office of Emergency Management site with updates:

1. The Governor declared a statewide State of Emergency on October 27, 2012. The Governor at 11:30 a.m. (1130 hrs) October 27, 2012, directed a mandatory evacuation to be completed by 4:00 p.m. (1600 hrs) October 28, 2012, of the barrier islands only, specifically:

Monmouth County
Monmouth Beach, Sea Bright
Ocean County
All of Long Beach Island including; Barnegat Light, Beach Haven, Surf City, Harvey Cedars, Ship Bottom, Long Beach Township, and Bay Head, Berkeley Twp (on island), Brick Twp (on island), Lavallette, Mantoloking, Seaside Heights, Seaside Park, Toms River Twp (on island), Point Pleasant Beach, Point Pleasant
Atlantic County
Atlantic City, Avalon, Long Port, Margate City, Brigantine, Ventor City
Cape May County
Cape May City, Wildwood, North Wildwood, Wildwood Crest, Sea Isle City, Ocean City, Stone Harbor, Strathmere

2. The following Counties have declared states of emergency:

a. Atlantic County: October 27, 2012 – 6:00 a.m. (0600 hrs)

b. Mercer County: October 27, 2012 – 8:41 a.m. (0841hrs)

c. Salem County: October 26, 2012 – 2:00 p.m. (1400 hrs)

3. The SEOC is currently at Response Level 3 for Hurricane preparations.

http://readynj.posterous.com/

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2012/10/...orm-track-not-likely-to-matter-at-this-point/

Sandy Takes Aim At New England; Storm Track Not Likely To Matter At This Point
By Terry Eliasen, Meteorologist, WBZ-TV Exec. Weather Producer

.........Sandy already has winds of 40 mph of greater out some 450 miles and that is going to continue to expand over time. This almost makes Sandy’s eventual landfall irrelevant. While areas closest to its center will see slightly stronger winds, Sandy is going to produce strong, tropical storm force winds over nearly the entire Northeastern U.S.

Landfall: Sandy is likely to make landfall somewhere on the shore of New Jersey late Monday night.............

Effects: Again, despite the fact that Sandy will make landfall in New Jersey, Southern New England is expected to feel some of the most dramatic effects due to the large and expanding nature of Sandy on Monday...............

Wind: This is the biggest concern from Sandy over the largest area. Wind damage will be widespread in all of Southern New England, causing many trees and limbs to be taken down. Power outages are expected to be widespread and potentially last for several days in some locations. ..............

Rain: I believe this will be the least of our concerns. Most models forecast the heaviest rain amounts in the Mid Atlantic states. While we will certainly see bands of very heavy, torrential rainfall amounts should not reach higher than 3″ or 4″ in any given spot in Southern New England. This is still a tremendous amount of rain and is sure to cause local street and basement flooding, but no widespread large river flooding is expected...........

More.......

I have family in Va. (D.C. suburb), and in Maryland. I think those places will be safe, won't they?

Saying prayers for all who are potentially in harms way............

DC, MD and VA have already declared a state of emergency. I'm in a MD suburb of DC and I'm sure we'll be hit--the most recent info I've seen looks like the bulk of the storm will hit us late Monday and continue in to Tuesday.

An article from the Washington Post advises area residents to plan for 3 days to a week without power, which is what people experienced during the derecho earlier this year.

We're in a DC suburb. The hurricane seems to be aiming for further north, but I believe the issue may be the rain b/c the hurricane will collide with the n'easter not too far from DC. From what I've read, that will stall everything for a few days while rain just continues to fall. At least that's the way I'm taking it...

'Frankenstorm' could hit 70% of Canada
Updated: Saturday, October 27, 2012 04:24 PM EDT

snipped...The northeastern U.S. will feel the brunt of Hurricane Sandy as it churns north this weekend, but huge chunks of Canada are expected to take a hit as well.

"As many as 23 million Canadians stand to be affected by this storm," said meteorologist Mark Robinson at the The Weather Network. "That's 70% of the country".

Hurricane Sandy is not your typical, classic looking hurricane. In fact, it looks quite disorganized in terms of a tropical cyclone. However, that matters not because of the extraordinary meteorological conditions about to take place. Sandy will transition from a tropical cyclone into an extratropical cyclone by Sunday.

http://www.texasstormchasers.com/5pm-edt4pm-cdt-hurricane-sandy-forecast/

Superstorm could impact 60 million people in US; coastal residents told to get out of the way
October 27, 2012

snipped...SHIP BOTTOM, N.J. — Forget distinctions like tropical storm or hurricane. Don’t get fixated on a particular track. Wherever it hits, the rare behemoth storm inexorably gathering in the eastern U.S. will afflict a third of the country with sheets of rain, high winds and heavy snow, say officials who warned millions in coastal areas to get out of the way.

“We’re looking at impact of greater than 50 to 60 million people,” said Louis Uccellini, head of environmental prediction for the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

Read more: http://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...733792-2005-11e2-8817-41b9a7aaabc7_story.html

Let's all hope the government steps up to help the survivors and not abandon them like what happened after hurricane Katrina. Poor people are Americans too.

Please, please I am so worried about all of you on the eastern coast right now, if your asked to evacuate please do ! I'll be praying for you, all of you and your families, take care of yourselves !

In NJ (near NYC), not sure what to expect but I knew WS would let me know where the latest info is!! Didn't know TWC was giving full coverage until I learned it here.

Praying for all who will be affected by the storm and please keep my husband and his men in your prayers...he owns a tree service business and they're already inundated with calls from people saying "I should have taken of this a year ago, but can you come right now before the storm?"!!!

Hi nosey! Mr. Bogeygal is on a golf vacation in the Carolina's. He's supposed to be home on Monday, and since I'm such a worrier, Hoping his flight home to Newark airport is safe in this storm! Prayers please for his safe return!

I'm really scared about this storm even though I am far inland in PA. Ugh I wish I understood how bad we were getting hit. I mean I know it won't be a full blown hurricane or anything like that and that the coast line is what is going to be worse but still.

GL, same here. DH went to soccer games this morning (he's the coach). I stayed home sick, though, with sick DD who missed her game. Glad I got most of the shopping done yesterday - it was already a madhouse even then.

I still have a few things I want to get today, but we have to move the friggin sailboat this afternoon, from a mooring ball to a floating dock at another marina a few miles away - which has pilings not very high and worries me that if we get the rain/flooding they say we will, that the docks will float right over the top. :rolleyes:

But that's the least of my worries: I hope our apt doesn't flood. We have food, water, flashlights, batteries, dog food, bunny food, generator, full tanks of gas. But if it floods, all bets are off and we're outta here. I made tentative reservations at a hotel up on the hill.... DH laughed at me, but last time it flooded and people left, hotels were booked for a 2-3 hr radius.

Hope you're able to get your boat moved to a safe place, belimom!

I'm just a bit southwest of belimom. We're planning for loss of power, but haven't lost it for more than a day in the 12 years we've lived in our condo. Isabel was the worst for us because the water supply was also contaminated. Though we lost a main road by us during Irene. We should be just fine though.

My main concern is keeping my kids from killing each other and me from tossing them out in the storm, since DH will be out of town starting tomorrow. ;-)

I'm really scared about this storm even though I am far inland in PA. Ugh I wish I understood how bad we were getting hit. I mean I know it won't be a full blown hurricane or anything like that and that the coast line is what is going to be worse but still.

Willen, I would recommend you stayed tuned to your local networks. Are you around St Mary or Coulderport? Here's a station out of Buffalo with some info for the region. For the most part a chance of heavy rain and winds to 65mph. HTH ((hugs))

http://www.wgrz.com/weather/default.aspx

The beaches at Delaware and Jersey are going to take a horrible beating I'm afraid. Hunker down my northeastern friends....and stay safe and warm.

It's been raining and windy here in Norfolk, VA all evening. We can't leave my husband is considered essential personnel and has to be around if he gets called in. There is a shelter in the area that takes pets in case we need to go to one but I am hoping it doesn't come to that.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chingona361
Back