Hurricane Sandy updates

I'm sitting in the living room with the screen door open. And I heard rushing water outside (yes, we're just FEET from the Potomac River, in a flood zone)... :eek:... so I ran onto the porch. It was just the leaves in the trees - the wind has picked up. :blushing:

I'm in the 8-10 inches of rain color now :what:
Rainfall_Days_1-5.gif

One piece of advice I have to give: please don't sleep on the 2nd floor if there is no significant attic space above you for protection. I hate hearing about folks being killed b/c a tree fell on them in the night. Camp out on the 1st floor.

IF YOU ARE RELUCTANT [to evacuate your home, if instructed to do so], THINK ABOUT YOUR LOVED ONES, THINK ABOUT
THE EMERGENCY RESPONDERS WHO WILL BE UNABLE TO REACH YOU WHEN YOU
MAKE THE PANICKED PHONE CALL TO BE RESCUED, THINK ABOUT THE
RESCUE/RECOVERY TEAMS WHO WILL RESCUE YOU IF YOU ARE INJURED OR
RECOVER YOUR REMAINS IF YOU DO NOT SURVIVE.

Persuasive point, and hopefully people will cooperate.

IF YOU THINK THE STORM IS OVER-HYPED AND EXAGGERATED, PLEASE ERR ON THE SIDE OF CAUTION.

Another excellent point that directly addresses the way people tend to regard the media.

The wind is picking up here, some friends in the area have lost power.

Wow - already?!? :what:

(We got a generator from Lowe's a few days ago - the last one they had. A refurbed unit with no box but 50% off. I took it. It's on our porch but we haven't tried starting it to make sure it works. Keep your fingers crossed we won't need it, and if we do, that it'll start. :please:)

I live in Indiana and even we have wind advisories because of this storm.

Also, remember to not use generators indoors due to the carbon monoxide.

I know I'm sitting here, going on and on about flooding, etc. But truth be told, I can count my blessings. We're not taking a direct hit like those on the coast, and if things get bad, we'll go to the hotel up on the hill (yes, I have reservations just in case... :blushing:), or if we have to leave the area, we'll stay with family (hopefully not my inlaws). We have two vehicles that will allow us to leave when we want/need to so we don't have to wait on public transportation to take us there.

Seeing this picture below is humbling, as I realize how much better we have it than so many others. I hope all these people stay safe and don't have to sit around in their chairs, sleeping on floors in shelters, etc, with complete strangers, for too long.

attachment.php

http://www.cbsnews.com/

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-10-28 at 7.15.11 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-10-28 at 7.15.11 PM.png
    607.6 KB · Views: 116
In addition to the federal government (DC offices) closing tomorrow, Metro (both bus and rail) are also closed. I remember having above-ground stations closed down during the snow in 2010, but can't recall there ever being a systemwide shutdown before.

Also, remember to not use generators indoors due to the carbon monoxide.

Or charcoal or gas grills. Don't even use them in the garage with the door open. Put the grill right outside the door and hang out in the garage.

Stay safe, drink lots, have fun.

In addition to the federal government (DC offices) closing tomorrow, Metro (both bus and rail) are also closed. I remember having above-ground stations closed down during the snow in 2010, but can't recall there ever being a systemwide shutdown before.

In 1996 - the massive snow storm. Not sure about the snow storm of 2009. :waitasec:

But never in advance like this - only 'after the fact'.

I know I'm sitting here, going on and on about flooding, etc. But truth be told, I can count my blessings. We're not taking a direct hit like those on the coast, and if things get bad, we'll go to the hotel up on the hill (yes, I have reservations just in case... :blushing:), or if we have to leave the area, we'll stay with family (hopefully not my inlaws). We have two vehicles that will allow us to leave when we want/need to so we don't have to wait on public transportation to take us there.

Seeing this picture below is humbling, as I realize how much better we have it than so many others. I hope all these people stay safe and don't have to sit around in their chairs, sleeping on floors in shelters, etc, with complete strangers, for too long.

attachment.php

http://www.cbsnews.com/

That pic just broke my heart :(

Wow - already?!? :what:

(We got a generator from Lowe's a few days ago - the last one they had. A refurbed unit with no box but 50% off. I took it. It's on our porch but we haven't tried starting it to make sure it works. Keep your fingers crossed we won't need it, and if we do, that it'll start. :please:)

Yep, I think they have a generator. The wind picked up about 30-40 minutes ago. I am hoping we make out OK because we don't have a generator.

That pic just broke my heart :(

And I hope they have a home to return to. If it's a mandatory evacuation, then there's a chance they may not. :(

The early flooding reminds me of the last hurricane that hit Galveston, Tx. And that did not end well. I can't believe landfall isn't until tomorrow afternoon. Holy Moly.

Frankenstorm, earthquake in BC, earthquake in LA... I'm scaring myself. I will stay away from the 12/12/12 thread, I will stay away from the 12/12/12 thread, I will stay away from the 12/12/12 thread....

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back