OR OR - David Grubbs, 23, Ashland, 19 Nov 2011

http://www.mailtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20121116/NEWS/211160320

He said police have served about six similar warrants during the course of the Grubbs investigation.

"We have found stuff that has been useful in past warrants," said Corey Falls, Ashland police deputy chief. "Any time where we can continue to do work on this we do so. "… It has been a constant since last year."

stuff?

From that same article:

Holderness had said Wednesday that investigators "have somebody in mind," but no suspect had been named...

My two reactions: YES!!! and Okay, so no suspects have been named...but really, like Goonie Queen stated a few posts back- jeep seized, apartment searched, and related house searched...that is pretty much pointing out a suspect or perhaps boyfriend of the suspect.

and IMO that person must be looney-toons. This wasn't a in the heat of anger type of thing. For those who haven't followed the case: the murderer walked out onto a well traveled bike path in the middle of the day and (rumor has it) nearly decapitated the victim with some sort of bladed instrument before disappearing.
The murder was so...blatant...

Another half-dozen Ashland police and Southern Oregon University campus public safety officers searched the apartment at 72 Wightman St., which is occupied by Sally Parrish's daughter, Rebecca Doran, 44, according to phone records and a neighbor.

The apartment, part of an SOU family housing complex, is along the bike path just a few blocks from where Grubbs was murdered near Hunter Park.

Holderness told The Associated Press that police were acting on a tip they received about a month ago, and in that time developed enough information to ask a judge for three search warrants.

http://www.mailtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20121116/NEWS/211160320/-1/NEWSMAP

While they have gone to pains to say that the residents aren't suspects (now), perhaps a former resident (an ex of a resident? a child of a resident? a former rommate?) is.

All just community chat, of course, but I have heard a story (can't vouch for its accuracy) that a resident of one of the searched properties has a son close to David's age, who was a friend of David. Like I said... just a bit of info (correct or not) that is floating around town.

All just community chat, of course, but I have heard a story (can't vouch for its accuracy) that a resident of one of the searched properties has a son close to David's age, who was a friend of David. Like I said... just a bit of info (correct or not) that is floating around town.

Thanks for the post on David Grubbs case..
I keep following it..Can't help but wonder...Troy was also murdered on the Bear Creek Greeway..

From that same article:

My two reactions: YES!!! and Okay, so no suspects have been named...but really, like Goonie Queen stated a few posts back- jeep seized, apartment searched, and related house searched...that is pretty much pointing out a suspect or perhaps boyfriend of the suspect.

and IMO that person must be looney-toons. This wasn't a in the heat of anger type of thing. For those who haven't followed the case: the murderer walked out onto a well traveled bike path in the middle of the day and (rumor has it) nearly decapitated the victim with some sort of bladed instrument before disappearing.
The murder was so...blatant...

with all due respect (honestly) why do you suspect "looney-tunes"?

I am with you all the way on the thinking the suspect is somehow connected to these warrants (lover, relative, ex, roommate, etc.) but i personally believe this was a planned, calculated, vengeful act. AND i believe this person knows exactly who i think they are and reads this forum. and with that said --- i can't wait for them to pay for this. tick tock tick tock

LE also stated warrants were being used to rule people out. It was a very brazen and fast crime, so it seems. The guy in Portland sure seems to fit the m.o. Is there any connection between him & these locations ? Did he live in the area in 2011 as some have said ? There is a long history with EM of similar crimes in 10 states.

I had to search for the article, but I thought I remembered that EM had been cleared as being a suspect in David's case. Finally found it.

http://www.southernoregoncw.com/shar...vid_3615.shtml

with all due respect (honestly) why do you suspect "looney-tunes"?

I am with you all the way on the thinking the suspect is somehow connected to these warrants (lover, relative, ex, roommate, etc.) but i personally believe this was a planned, calculated, vengeful act. AND i believe this person knows exactly who i think they are and reads this forum. and with that said --- i can't wait for them to pay for this. tick tock tick tock

You could very well be right, goonie queen.

Maybe "looney-tunes": is too strong of a word. But if this was a planned out murder- it seemed that two aspects of the murder are very strange and risky. Location and time.

Most "planned" murders that I have come across here on WS, involve committing the act in a place of relative privacy and usually at dark. Sometimes that involves moving or luring a victim to a more private location.
The bike path at 3 pm is not private. In fact, most people I spoke with seemed shocked that no one was on the path at that exact moment. And even if no one was on that stretch, the perp still had to walk to the scene and leave with the murder weapon. As you know, Ashland is not a huge city and the perp could easily run into someone they knew. Even if they passed by a random person, LE was asking everyone in the general area at the time to come forward and talk about people they saw in the area. (IIRC some people came on the scene mere minutes after it occurred.)
It just seems incredibly risky to me. I think most people, if they were planning something of this nature would have tried to catch or lure him in a "safer" (for the murderer) location and/or time.

Of course, they haven't caught the person, so maybe I am wrong.

I guess to sum it up: it seems counterintuitive that a regular thinking person would plan it out this way. A person who is a little unhinged or perhaps not that bright might not realize the risks. JMO

i think the crime happened between 5:15pm and 5:30pm and therefore dark already (this is why the residents have requested adding lighting to the path)

what if the perp was someone David knew and met up with him along the path and waited for the moment when they were alone. I've never seen the autopsy report but my guess is the attack was fast (one wound vs multiple wounds) and over in seconds. remember nothing was missing from Davids belongings.

I, too, question the connection of whomever is the catalyst between Rapp Rd and the Ashland address. I wonder what his best friend thinks about these places of interest??? If he lives across the street from Rapp, I bet he has some serious thoughts on it.

And I also am skeptical of what the LE had initially reported after the incident. They purposely gave the report that NOTHING was left as evidence, including the act of taking something from David. Not saying they are acting suspicious, but thinking perhaps they are saying there is no shred of evidence or a lead to protect whatever the heck they did find.

LE has also not said much about the murder weapon. Most of what I have heard about it has been rumor.

For some reason, I thought the crime was earlier, when it was light outside. I must be mistaken- so in any case it is dark outside here at 5- but there are still tons of people. I was just over there this week and a lot of college students were walking around at 5 in that general area. I wasn't by the bike path but quite near it.

It is not pitch dark, but mostly dark at the time of the crime. The thing, though, is, like tonight, it was a night when UO had a big football game -- so there were a lot of people inside watching the game that evening.

From the main street, it seemed as bustle-y as ever. We were taking one of our children to a sleepover when the sirens started and we saw tons of police and fire trucks en route. Note: the sky was still light. Not very dark at all.

It sounds like all of us posters are locals- but if anyone here is reading and not familiar with the area there is a small college, privately owned dorms, university owned housing, private housing and some businesses all by the bike path in that general area. The bike path runs right through the populated areas of Ashland and is used by many to get from one point to another in town, or for exercise. In other areas further north of Ashland, it is more remote.

Although I do not live in Ashland, I go there occasionally for doctor's appts and the like. I was just there last week around 5 pm and was struck once again by how many pedestrians there are walking around in the near darkness at that time. It really makes for some nerve wracking driving! I am always scared that I am going to hit someone.

David Grubbs was found murdered at about 5:35 p.m. on Nov. 19, 2011, by a passer-by. Police believe Grubbs had been dead less than 30 minutes.

An autopsy showed that he was nearly decapitated from a weapon with a medium to large blade, police said.

Investigators said Grubbs, who'd been walking home from his job as a grocery clerk at Shop'n Kart, did not appear to make any defensive moves in the attack, and that his wallet and money were left in his pocket.

Ashland Police Chief Terry Holderness said Wednesday investigators "have somebody in mind," but stressed they did not believe any of the residents at 225 West Rapp Road, Talent, or 72 Wightman St., Ashland, where the searches were conducted, were responsible for the murder.

http://www.mailtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20121118/NEWS/211180322

Ashland is well known for its pedestrians. After all, this is a tourist town/retirement mecca/college town. Lots of folks get around by walking or riding bikes--and at all hours. Also, there is a strong sense of safety in this town. Even though the murder occurred in my own neighborhood, you still rarely see people locking their houses or cars. I go out walking with a friend each night around 8 pm and there are many many people on the streets. For some reason, Ashland does not have very good street lighting. It's dark here at night. It's so dark that a neighbor of mine literally fell over a parked scooter in front of my house at 9 pm the other night. We're talking pitch black on cloudy or moonless nights. The bike path has some lighting but it's pretty dark too.

I'll be going down to David's memorial spot this evening around 5.

There have been some significant improvements recently at the site of this very sad event. The city has taken down two sections of the maintenance shed that dangerously blocked sight lines at that point of the bike path. It's much better now -- and would be better still if they removed the whole thing. The new memorial bench and street lamp over it are quite beautiful, peaceful and bring a completely different energy to that spot.

There have been some significant improvements recently at the site of this very sad event. The city has taken down two sections of the maintenance shed that dangerously blocked sight lines at that point of the bike path. It's much better now -- and would be better still if they removed the whole thing. The new memorial bench and street lamp over it are quite beautiful, peaceful and bring a completely different energy to that spot.

I paid a short visit there on the 19th and there was a reporter there from
Channel 12 News working on an anniversary piece. It was the first time I had visited and it was both an uplifting experience as well as a somber one. I am cautiously optimisitc there will be further developments and am hopeful that justice for David will be found.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back