Connecticut school district on lockdown after shooting report at a Newtown elemen-#4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read a few things that were posted overnight that I want to comment on. First off, no matter how you classify autism spectrum disorders (classical autism, Asperger's, Pervasive Developmental Delay, ADD, ADHD), be it neurological condition or mental illness, it really doesn't matter. I choose to treat it as a neurological disorder, because that's how every single doctor has explained it. However, the reason it doesn't matter is that there are so many conditions that fall under the blanket of ASD, and so many different behaviors that are included, that you can have 2 people with identical diagnoses and totally different behaviors.

Both of my stepsons and my oldest bio son have ASD. They are opposite people. Stepson is quiet, reserved, extremely socially awkward, fearful, and cannot tolerate ANY change to routine or discipline. He couldn't display violence in a directed way, as in towards a specific target.

My son is unnaturally loud, not in the least reserved, although the social awkwardness is still there, just not to the degree it is with my stepson. My son has no fear and an unnaturally high pain tolerance, although he is sensory seeking at the same time. Changes to his routine can be relatively peaceful, as long as every aspect of the change is announced ahead of time. He is oppositional, defiant, and he has harmed me physically more times than I can count. An extremely strong child, no impulse control, very bad combo.

Point being, both of them have had the maximum in terms of services offered by the state and the school district. Both of them are in therapy, both of them utilized early intervention through age 5, both are in mainstream special education, and both receive in home therapy and crisis services. Both are diagnosed with classical autism. But for each of them, the diagnosis means something different. One of the reasons that autism is so difficult to live with is because we know very little about it. My stepson cannot handle loud noises without melting down. My son will melt down because something isn't loud enough. It's a complete dice roll, and ASD has become a catch-all diagnosis for many physicians. Don't know why this kid is having problems? Call it ASD until we figure it out. MOO. In determining his potential level of violence, an ASD diagnosis would mean very little.

Totally different topic - the survivalism, fear of economic collapse thing. I am not a survivalist, not in any true sense of the word, so I don't understand the mindset completely, therefore I will tread carefully. I do stockpile food, but that's because I remember blizzards that have shut this city down for the better part of a week and I have kids to take care of. One might be able to spin my beliefs to say that I fear economic collapse...don't we all, at least a little bit? It doesn't mean that I don't trust the government, and there is no evidence that it meant that to Nancy. I fear what will happen in a time of war, or a time of massive natural disaster, or in the event of a stock market crash, any of which can cause economic collapse, but have no bearing on how much I trust my government. She had the guns, reported for protection, but I don't see where she held any paranoid beliefs, such as having written a manifesto regarding the NWO, or that she ever did anything to influence Adam's state of mind regarding conspiracies or fear of the government.

One thing that I don't see addressed, hardly at all, when considering the motive, is the statement someone made right around the time that Nancy's photo was released to the media, saying that she pushed Adam hard in school (paraphrased). That can be a very positive thing or a very negative thing, depending on how the parent does it. If she pushed him hard in school, then it seems to me that her pushing did very little good or did not get her anything by rebelliousness, since he did drop out, got his GED instead and hadn't chosen to pursue his education.

His mother, one of his only socializations, and a huge impact on his world, pushed him academically, to which he did not seem to respond positively, and he then later shot said mother and 26 people in an educational institution. There's something there. JMO.

You may be right. In that case, perhaps what I should be mourning is not some idealized golden era of jounalism but the lack of critical thinkers in this new age of www and junk reporting.

Regardless the cause, the result is disturbing to me.

For a perspective on journalistic "integrity" with a big slug of humor, look for a play, "The Front Page" by Ben Hecht and Charles MacArthur, originally produced in 1928. There are a number of different movie and TV adaptations of it, the best (IMO) being "His Girl Friday" (1940) starring Cary Grant and Rosalind Russell.

The Front Page - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Not only do the reporters rush to press, they make stuff up. It doesn't seem very different these days.:waitasec:

... The lone survivor of her class tricked the gunman by playing dead, the girl's pastor told ABC News, before running out of the school covered in the blood of her classmates.

"She ran out of the school building covered from head to toe with blood and the first thing she said to her mom was, 'Mommy, I'm OK but all my friends are dead,'" said Pastor [JS]. "Somehow in that moment, by God's grace, [she] was able to act as she was already deceased." ...

http://abcnews.go.com/US/connecticu...ation-newtown-church/story?id=17989753&page=2

In this article she is saying that her husband saw the shooter in June which I take to mean that it's longer than that, perhaps much longer than that since she saw him herself. She lives in Illinois so the distance would probably make it rather infrequent.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/...-school-shooter-honors-student_n_2306736.html

This article says she hadn't see him sense he was 3

Marsha Lanza’s sister-in-law, Nancy, was among those killed by Adam Lanza in Friday’s rampage. In a phone interview with the Northwest Herald, Marsha Lanza said she had not seen Adam since he was about 3 years old, but communicated regularly with his mother.

http://www.nwherald.com/2012/12/15/gunmans-aunt-from-crystal-lake-were-shaken-to-the-core/awu7u05/

So when was the last time a family member see Adam other than the mom?

Marsha Lanza’s sister-in-law, Nancy, was among those killed by Adam Lanza in Friday’s rampage. In a phone interview with the Northwest Herald, Marsha Lanza said she had not seen Adam since he was about 3 years old, but communicated regularly with his mother.

http://www.nwherald.com/2012/12/15/gunmans-aunt-from-crystal-lake-were-shaken-to-the-core/awu7u05/

That does make it just a bit hard to put stock in her beliefs and observations about his character...

... The lone survivor of her class tricked the gunman by playing dead, the girl's pastor told ABC News, before running out of the school covered in the blood of her classmates.

"She ran out of the school building covered from head to toe with blood and the first thing she said to her mom was, 'Mommy, I'm OK but all my friends are dead,'" said Pastor [JS]. "Somehow in that moment, by God's grace, [she] was able to act as she was already deceased." ...

http://abcnews.go.com/US/connecticu...ation-newtown-church/story?id=17989753&page=2

Aw geez. Poor little thing. Poor little things.

Bless this child.

“I knew he had some learning issues in school,” Marsha said, “but I don’t know if there were any behavioral issues. Right now, we don’t know any more than you probably do.”

Pretty much everybody else who has spoken about him up until now said that he had behavioral issues when it came to social interactions but that he was a bright student.

ap_13_school_shooting_sandy_hook_nt_121216_ssh.jpg

Eric [M] places twenty seven wooden angles he made in his yard down the street from the Sandy Hook School, Dec. 16, 2012, in Newtown, Conn. (Spencer Platt/Getty Images)

http://abcnews.go.com/US/slideshow/photos-sandy-hook-elementary-school-shooting-17974409

Has this aunt actually met him any time recently? My understanding that she isn't the biological aunt, she is the wife of father's older brother, and they weren't getting together frequently.

I don't know, nobody knows. Adam Lanzo as far as I know, was basically a ghost. He was a quite shy kid with problems and kept to himself.

We know nothing concrete about the family dynamics.
As I have posted before almost all accounts of Nancy as a mother portray her as a lovely devoted mother.
Attacking her integrity and her choices will not be tolerated at this time. Not only it is this a victim friendly site- but we have not got the first clue what is or is not true as it relates to the shooter and his mother.

She has paid the ultimate price. leave her alone. Leave the family alone, the whole family.

We do not know enough.

THIS IS THE FINAL WARNING. If you see members violate please alert.

So when was the last time a family member see Adam other than the mom?

Well the parents got divorced in 2009 and the father remarried. So I would guess he also barely saw Adam. The brother moved out and lived far in NJ I think. So it looks like Adam was alone a lot. He was obviously a very angry child. Which carried into adulthood.

Autism is NOT a mental illness. It is a developmental difference that occurrs in some people. It is no different from being very tall or very short.

There is a whole graduation in the population from severe (the equivalent of being a dwarf for example) all the way to the center of human behaviour.

There is no clear cut off and there is no organic basis for it. So it is not a disease.

What does happen however is that because these people behave differently from most, they tend to be come socially isolated and that is what actually causes the anti-social behaviour sometimes seen.

And if you are not developing, your thinking is not either, creating mental challenges.

Its not that hard. Most news sources are not intending to report false information, nor are they intending to harm the public.

Common Sense!

News sources shouldn't be reporting anything until they verify their info as true. The sloppy reporting and putting up Facebook sites of people with similar names to that of the true suspects but NO connection what so ever is horribly wrong. Anything for "breaking news" whether it's true or not. Ethics out the window.

I've been following along with everybody else during this unthinkable tragedy. I've wanted to post several times, but just didn't, and still don't have the words.... I've held up pretty well, getting a bit teary eyed but nothing major. This story did it for me. Those poor, poor children!... This little girl is truly amazing!

...None of us live with the children we know or teach. Teachers, especially, can only go by what they are told by the parents, or God forbid, a social worker. No one lives in that home, so no one knows. I believe a lot of children are ruined early on by a lack of love, or discipline, or attention.

Sometimes I would presume to tell people what I would do differently. They can take it or leave it. What I really object to is blaming the child when it's really too late to do much about it except wail, whine, or pay the doctor...

Respectfully edited. Things are much different in schools today than they were when you and I were in school. (I have grands, too, so I'm assuming that we are in the same age range.) My siblings and I attended a parochial school, and when our teachers indicated any type of learning or behavioral problem with any of us, my parents made certain that we did our best to overcome it.

For example, the only subject with which I struggled in elementary grades was Handwriting. I know now that it was a hand/eye coordination thing because I was very near-sighted with a lazy eye that wasn't really helped with corrective lenses. My mom would make me practice my Handwriting every day before I could do any other non-school activity :( It wasn't a punishment; she just wanted me to do better in the only subject that gave me trouble.

Many parents today don't want to hear teachers or other professionals say anything negative about their children and don't want to be told how to raise them. My nephew had problems when he was in elementary school, and teachers and other school personnel wanted to do some screening beyond the usual progress testing in basic academic subjects. When the notion of "psychological" testing was broached during a conference, my sister and her ex refused to allow the suggested screening :banghead: Unfortunately, their stubbornness likely accounts for this young man's inability to lead a productive, successful adult life.

:moo:

This little girl is going to need intensive therapy for a LONG time! I cannot even begin to imagine what she must be feeling right now.

News sources shouldn't be reporting anything until they verify their info as true. The sloppy reporting and putting up Facebook sites of people with similar names to that of the true suspects but NO connection what so ever is horribly wrong. Anything for "breaking news" whether it's true or not. Ethics out the window.

Again I will reiterate. In a perfect world this would be the case. However when a story is breaking fast and furiously, and facts cannot be verified then it makes it tough. We are an information society. Where 24/7 news is expected. News media has not put up the fake profiles. Except when they put up Ryan Lanza's Fb, the suspects brother. But this was not THEIR fault it was in fact the LE'S fault because they initially accused Ryan Lanza as being the shooter.

Again I will reiterate. In a perfect world this would be the case. However when a story is breaking fast and furiously, and facts cannot be verified then it makes it tough. We are an information society. Where 24/7 news is expected. News media has not put up the fake profiles. Except when they put up Ryan Lanza's Fb, the suspects brother. But this was not THEIR fault it was in fact the LE'S fault because they initially accused Ryan Lanza as being the shooter.

AND, LE relied on the ID which was on the body of the shooter which was his brother. They really cannot be faulted for the misidentification at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasCuriousMynd