UK - Nurse duped by prankster regarding royal, found dead.

"the rules of this site"?

this entire site and all it's forums are full of speculation... those of us who were of the opinion there was much more to this story did not break any TOS/rules and any assertion to that fact is uncalled for imo.

These DJs had the hospital, pretending to be somebody they are not, to get information on a sick pregnant woman.
They also taped conversation without permission, and broadcast it without permission.
Whether this nurse had any per-existing conditions or not, makes no difference to me whatsoever.
Tell me, what difference does it make if they were hoaxing someone with pre-existing condition? They still taped their conversation without permission, and still broadcast it without permission. They still pretended to be someone they were not.

Excuse me? What was I supposed to believe, when the original reports stated she had no history of depression? Are you saying I was supposed to ignore the rules of this site and believe speculation without any evidence instead?

Yes. It makes no logical sense that a mentally healthy person would take their own life after being pranked on a phone call

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Excuse me? What was I supposed to believe, when the original reports stated she had no history of depression? Are you saying I was supposed to ignore the rules of this site and believe speculation without any evidence instead?

Sometimes time portrays a whole new picture.

Believe me...........it's a lesson I've learned too.

These DJs had the hospital, pretending to be somebody they are not, to get information on a sick pregnant woman.
They also taped conversation without permission, and broadcast it without permission.
Whether this nurse had any per-existing conditions or not, makes no difference to me whatsoever.
Tell me, what difference does it make if they were hoaxing someone with pre-existing condition? They still taped their conversation without permission, and still broadcast it without permission. They still pretended to be someone they were not.

That's what prank calls are............they are stupid.

But as a professional, you sometimes have to handle stupid.

Royal nurse who answered hoax call about Duchess of Cambridge had attempted to kill herself twice before

"The nurse who committed suicide after answering a hoax phone call about the Duchess of Cambridge made two attempts to kill herself last winter and had been prescribed antidepressants.
Jacintha Saldanha, who took her own life days after the call from Australian DJs pretending to be the Queen and Prince Charles, attempted to commit suicide last December with an overdose of pills during a family visit to India."

"She survived after being rushed to hospital but tried to commit suicide again just nine days later by apparently jumping from a building."

"Along with the previous suicide attempts, reported in an Indian newspaper, members of Ms Saldanha’s family have revealed that the nurse was so ashamed after taking the hoax call earlier this month that she did not tell her husband or children about it before her death, despite speaking to them by phone several times."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ttempted-kill-twice-before.html#ixzz2FqZbVX3F

Thank you Blondie. This makes SO much more sense!

And Merry Christmas.

So wait; is prank calling someone, recording it and then broadcasting it over the airwaves NOT illegal?

I mean I know they didn't mean for the target of their little laugh to kill herself, but I thought it was posted a while back that what they did WAS in fact a crime.

And no offense, Sapphire, but if those DJs killed themselves over this, how would that be anyone else's fault anymore than it was the DJs fault that the nurse killed HERself?

Ya know i do mess with my friends heads, but i know that theres a line, different peoples different lines, funny and humiliation -are two different things.

The DJs i understand, just their job. But the radio station, the long distance call cost them pennies, the advertising $ they make off making a fool of someone, priceless.
And it goes viral-world wide-would you seriously find it funny if you were the fool?

It was and is inevitable that they will play with someone who is not strong enough.
Its russian roullette, but basically its free for the radio station, or maybe they do pay the people they use and abuse, but i have'nt heard that mentioned. JMO of course

ITA.

I have never thought humiliation humor was funny. It makes me uncomfortable at best.

I guess I just don't see how picking on someone else is funny. It's just plain mean. And doing it and broadcasting it online or over airwaves is mean and obnoxious. I hate those TV shows like "Punked". The whole genre.

I've always believed and have taught my kid that its not funny unless everyone is laughing.

IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ITA.

I have never thought humiliation humor was funny. It makes me uncomfortable at best.

I guess I just don't see how picking on someone else is funny. It's just plain mean. And doing it and broadcasting it online or over airwaves is mean and obnoxious. I hate those TV shows like "Punked". The whole genre.

I hate those shows as well.

If it is true about the suicide attempts in India was that something that she was able to keep secret from the Hospital.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/4...cross-austereo-jacintha-saldanha-memorial.htm

Southern Cross Austereo (SCA), the owner of the radio station behind the prank call to Kate Middleton's hospital, will donate at least £326,000 to the family of the nurse who took her own life after patching through the call.

The company said it has decided to resume advertising on the station, 2DayFM, on Thursday and that all profits from its advertising until the end of the year will be given to Jacintha Saldanha's family - including her two teenage children and partner Ben Barboza.

I wonder if they'll stick by this now that the previous attempts have come to light? It appears the money would have been donated after end of year so it could be calculated accurately.

And do we know how this new info got released to the media?

I believe it is entirely possible that this woman had financial concerns before. But when she was "exposed" as having transferred the call---her license to practice was in jeopardy and therefore her job and livelihood. It might send a lot of RN's over the edge. Losing everything you've worked for and poverty afterward? It would be difficult for the strongest person. MOO

I don't know .. were finances so bad and was her job really threatened?

Australian DJs behind royal hospital hoax phone call 'will not face charges', police say

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...al-hoax-phone-face-charges.html#ixzz2GLgS6cV3

Of course not, because at the end of the day if the lady had pre-existing conditions you cannot prove that it was the prank that led to her committing suicide in the first place. People get pranked/punked every single day, they don't go committing suicide afterwards. You can argue about the morality of it, which is an entirely different conversation but as far as if the DJ's actually did anything wrong and caused this woman to kill herself, I'd say the answer is no.

Of course not, because at the end of the day if the lady had pre-existing conditions you cannot prove that it was the prank that led to her committing suicide in the first place. People get pranked/punked every single day, they don't go committing suicide afterwards. You can argue about the morality of it, which is an entirely different conversation but as far as if the DJ's actually did anything wrong and caused this woman to kill herself, I'd say the answer is no.

Some commentaries made it sound like the possible charges could have been about trying to pry and broadcast private medical information about the Duchess. The nurse's eventual fate would have been only tangential to that charge I think.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77
Back