Mystery couple murdered in South Carolina, 1976 - #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
One last article from September 1976 in which Cordelia's father said that he believed the boat they were sailing may have been hijacked by smugglers who he believed were holding his daughter and son-in-law captives to sail the vessel. It says in the same article that the FBI launched an investigation on August 9, 1976 which is the exact date in which they were killed.

Also, it mentions that Michael's father, Malcolm, worked for the Oregon state welfare department in Portland, Oregon. The article also says that Michael and Cordelia sailed to Honolulu in 1975 and spent nearly a year there where he worked as a carpenter and she worked as a cashier at a cafeteria. Here is the link:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?i...,2120545&dq=michael+and+cordelia+mcminn&hl=en

Thanks for posting all these links! It would be amazing to have this mystery solved, kudos to the tenacious sleuther!
You're welcome! But I really think that most of the kudos has to go to others especially Tear Drop for his/her diligent pursuit of this with amazing information.

I am extremely confident that Michael and Cordelia are John and Jane Doe. Too many similarities. Too many dots that connect. The timelines are correct. I could be wrong here, but I have never been this confident about a lead throughout my whole research on this since 2009. If I had the money, I'd bet it all on these two.

That is just some fascinating stuff! It would seem that the male Doe's dentals were distinctive enough that they would have been looked at to compare with McMinn's. I guess the fact that DNA is being done means they could not find any?
Got any more pix of the McMinns?

the august 2012 article indicates the dna testing was being done and would have results in a few months. any word on the current status?

Thanks for posting all these links! It would be amazing to have this mystery solved, kudos to the tenacious sleuther!
Coincidentally, I found out today that one of the parents called off the search on August 9, 1976 which just happens to be the date that both kids were murdered.

I've also been trying to look into the initials "JPF" that were on the ring that "John Doe" was wearing. So far, I can't find anything significant, but it could be something as simple as "Just Plain Fun". Does anyone know if this was popular slang during the 1970s?

the august 2012 article indicates the dna testing was being done and would have results in a few months. any word on the current status?
If the DNA testing was done back in August, how long exactly is "a few months"? That was 5 months ago.

That is just some fascinating stuff! It would seem that the male Doe's dentals were distinctive enough that they would have been looked at to compare with McMinn's. I guess the fact that DNA is being done means they could not find any?
Got any more pix of the McMinns?

I have tried extensively to find any dental or fingerprints of the Mcminn's with no luck. Unfortunately, in order to continue forward with DNA testing it is necessary to have a missing person's report. At the time i posted the results of my investigation i was unaware of the fact that one was not available. I have confirmed that it was not filed at a local level, but because it was investigated by the FBI, the FBI could have a copy of the report. This is why i filed a FOIA request with the FBI for their records on the Mcminns. This was filed in early August, not supprisingly, i have still not recieved that information. LE is also trying to obtain that missing person's report. In the event one was not filed which seems to be the growing consensus, one will be filed at which time the DNA testing can move forward.

You're welcome! But I really think that most of the kudos has to go to others especially Tear Drop for his/her diligent pursuit of this with amazing information.

I am extremely confident that Michael and Cordelia are John and Jane Doe. Too many similarities. Too many dots that connect. The timelines are correct. I could be wrong here, but I have never been this confident about a lead throughout my whole research on this since 2009. If I had the money, I'd bet it all on these two.

Thanks Elliotness for your vote of confidence. I too believe that there are too many dots that connect. The timeline is one of the most compelling pieces of evidence. Where the Mcminn's trail ends, the Sumter couple's trail starts within a week of one another! That is too much of a coincidence, not to mention the possible mole on Cordelia's cheek, the matching scars on Michael's shoulder, bushy eye brows, the same hair color, eye color and height, interesting similarites in theories about connections to drug smuggling and uncanny facial similarities!

If the DNA testing was done back in August, how long exactly is "a few months"? That was 5 months ago.

For a very cold low priority case, and depending on which lab is doing the processing and what kind of DNA and samples they have, it could be 18 months or more. That's just for the mechanics of actually conducting the test, it doesn't include paperwork issues such as those Tear Drop mentions.

This news story in Tampa Bay Times today made me think of this case.
http://www.tampabay.com/news/publicsafety/crime/article1274313.ece

Suspect in four-decade-old West Virginia triple murder captured in Tampa

It made me think...hmm, what if this was a simular situatio,n and it wasn't mob related or drug related, what if it was over something like copper or simular?

I also find it intriguing that the victims of the case in WV where shot and left in an open area of a park (http://wvmetronews.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Fairmont-Cold-Case.pdf) and in this case John and Jane Doe where left on the side of a road in the open.

This news story in Tampa Bay Times today made me think of this case.
http://www.tampabay.com/news/publicsafety/crime/article1274313.ece

Suspect in four-decade-old West Virginia triple murder captured in Tampa

It made me think...hmm, what if this was a simular situatio,n and it wasn't mob related or drug related, what if it was over something like copper or simular?

I also find it intriguing that the victims of the case in WV where shot and left in an open area of a park (http://wvmetronews.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Fairmont-Cold-Case.pdf) and in this case John and Jane Doe where left on the side of a road in the open.

I don't think this scenario of being killed for stealing copper fits the circumstances of this case.

1. Stealing copper is a dirty job. These two were described as being very clean.

2. Their clothing does not really fit what thieves wear to steal copper. Typically thieves would wear dark clothing, wear appropriate shoes and carry tools. They were wearing sandals and he had on a bright red shirt, and no tools were found. Then again thieves are not always prepared.

3. Most importantly, the murder weapon was in possession of a NC man. Assuming he had something to do with this, then why would be in SC defending someone else's copper. Does not make sense. Another scenario, he was defending the copper in NC and forced them at gunpoint into a trunk and drove them down to SC and the let them out and killed them. That seems very improbable also. Not buying it.

Coincidentally, I found out today that one of the parents called off the search on August 9, 1976 which just happens to be the date that both kids were murdered.

I've also been trying to look into the initials "JPF" that were on the ring that "John Doe" was wearing. So far, I can't find anything significant, but it could be something as simple as "Just Plain Fun". Does anyone know if this was popular slang during the 1970s?

The McMinn's look like very good possible matches to the Doe couple, great work to all who are participating! Can't help but think how strange the young OR couple's disappearance was, and how very little information seems available about them, including the lack of photos for comparison. As usual, looks like we will need to wait and see if DNA can help tie these together.

A new development in the McMinn lead bolsters the possibility that the Mystery Sumter Couple could be the missing McMinns.

I recently contacted Dr. Hanna the dentist who conducted the forensic dental work on John Doe's teeth. Based on the information I sent him and the picture of Michael Mcminn smiling and pictures of the John Doe, he states "I believe it's them". Dr. Hanna has 30+ years of forensic dental work and is a member of the National Association of Identification Officers. He was able to notice a consistent diastema between Michael McMinn and John Doe among other things. Since we have not yet been able to obtain Michael McMinn's dental records, a positive identification cannot be made. I will keep everyone posted with any developments in this comparison.

Link to newspaper article about Dr. Hanna's forensic dental work:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?n...IwxAAAAIBAJ&sjid=UqoFAAAAIBAJ&pg=1367,7773272

A new development in the McMinn lead bolsters the possibility that the Mystery Sumter Couple could be the missing McMinns.

I recently contacted Dr. Hanna the dentist who conducted the forensic dental work on John Doe's teeth. Based on the information I sent him and the picture of Michael Mcminn smiling and pictures of the John Doe, he states "I believe it's them". Dr. Hanna has 30+ years of forensic dental work and is a member of the National Association of Identification Officers. He was able to notice a consistent diastema between Michael McMinn and John Doe among other things. Since we have not yet been able to obtain Michael McMinn's dental records, a positive identification cannot be made. I will keep everyone posted with any developments in this comparison.

Link to newspaper article about Dr. Hanna's forensic dental work:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?n...IwxAAAAIBAJ&sjid=UqoFAAAAIBAJ&pg=1367,7773272

I'm so far behind on this case; I didn't realize all that had happen in the last few months.
It would be great if they can be given their name & laid to rest after all of these years.

Apparently they do not have missing pages

Man gets new leads on 1976 mystery couple

So sad that Reannan did not get a reply back in 2008.

Attachments

• MysteryCoupleMcMinn.jpg
    MysteryCoupleMcMinn.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 111
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors