CA/Canada - Elisa Lam - 21 years old - Los Angeles/Vancouver - 31-Jan-2013 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interestingly enough, 2:55 mark is the first time the numbers at the bottom of the video appear to pause, which was brought up by another poster earlier in the thread. It happens 2 more times, at 2:56 & 2:57. All of the other time on the video the numbers are running steadily with no pauses....

Thanks for that AnonymousD .. I hadn't noticed that, so yes it is interesting that that observation coincides with what I noticed starting approx 2:58 wrt the shadow effect. The more i review the shadowing movement, the more disturbing it seems to me .. that possibly someone brought her back onto the elevator. If that is the case, and as scarey as it can be, that would tell us that LE maybe has a perp on camera.

I hope i'm all wet and totally wrong, and that Elisa is on at the corner of GodKnowsWhere & SomeplaceElse, singing to the sky and having a good time.

Apologies if this has been asked before, but does the hotel have underground parking on the "Lower" level (below the Main floor)?

Apologies if this has been asked before, but does the hotel have underground parking on the "Lower" level (below the Main floor)?

According to the hotel website, as well as hotels.com and tripadvisor, there is no on-site parking.

I see we have 5 members & 42 guests viewing right now.

Hey, 42 guests, join us! Tell us what you think & see on Elisa's elevator footage.

I showed it to my hubby this evening trying to get a man's take on it. I'd like to hear what others have to say as well.

I'm really wondering about the door not closing after she pushes the buttons. Her behavior is strange, but quite a bit of it seems to be her being confused about why the elevator isn't moving. The only reasonable conclusions I can draw (assuming nobody was in the hallway) is that she was confused and accidentally pushed the 'hold door' button and did not realize it. There's a point in the video where she seemed to be waving her hand in front of the door as if to activate the sensor. I have also never come across a hold door or open door button that would keep the doors open for that long. At the :12 second mark the door appears to be about to close but jerks back open. Why does this take so long after she's ostensibly pushed the button? Anyone with any insights would be appreciated.

Has anyone here determined whether or not the elevators in this hotel require a key card to operate? If so, that would explain why the elevator did not close for Elisa -- and it would also suggest that SOMEONE had to get on the elevator before it descended, to insert a key card to get the elevator moving. (This might be the answer to the mystery of the ostensibly altered section of the video: what's blurred out is the person who inserted the keycard.)

IAt the :12 second mark the door appears to be about to close but jerks back open. Why does this take so long after she's ostensibly pushed the button? Anyone with any insights would be appreciated.

Like you, I've never encountered an elevator that stands open that long. Were I to encounter one, I'd probably behave, at least initially, just like she did -- pop out of the elevator to look to my right (assuming that's where the call button is located) to see if someone's depressing it. Note that when she gets back in, she also presses herself to the side of the elevator that would conceal her best from someone approaching the elevator from that direction.

But yeah, she doesn't look scared. She looks like she's trying to catch someone who's playing a prank on her, at least in the first half of the video.

Wild speculation follows:

Have they found her glasses? Were there single guys staying on that floor who are near her age? The main reason I take off my glasses (besides when I'm about to fall asleep) is when I'm, ahem, cuddling with the mister. They're awkward to wear when you're kissing, especially if the guy you're kissing ALSO wears glasses. And if she's not as blind as a bat, I can see her leaving them off as she goes on some errand -- for vanity's sake, y'know? I can also see someone teasing her, saying, "I'll keep these to make sure you come back." That kind of flirty interaction after a makeout session might lead you, when the elevator door doesn't shut, to assume your new love interest is making a playful attempt to keep you on his floor by holding down the elevator button. It certainly would account for her body language in the first half of the video: suspicious but not frightened.

Has anyone here determined whether or not the elevators in this hotel require a key card to operate? If so, that would explain why the elevator did not close for Elisa -- and it would also suggest that SOMEONE had to get on the elevator before it descended, to insert a key card to get the elevator moving. (This might be the answer to the mystery of the ostensibly altered section of the video: what's blurred out is the person who inserted the keycard.)
That would make sense in terms of the blurred out bit!

The thing that makes me think it's not a keycard is that I've worked in a few hotels, and in every one of them, you can't select/light up a floor unless the keycard has been accepted (it just doesn't light up). Also, I seem to remember reading up thread that this particular hotel uses keys, not keycards, but I might be remembering incorrectly!

Both my husband and I noticed the shadowing in the elevator after the door closes. Neither one of us could figure out what it meant though. I just wanted to mention that two more of us saw the shadow.

Both my husband and I noticed the shadowing in the elevator after the door closes. Neither one of us could figure out what it meant though. I just wanted to mention that two more of us saw the shadow.

Seajay and sillybilly - I noticed this too! But, I figured my eyes were playing tricks on me or it was poor quality video. After reading that the video could have been edited to remove people, it does seem possible that this is the case.

One other thing I noticed with the time counter at the bottom of the screen (other than the stops previously mentioned) is a lapse of time in the counter where it appears the minutes are shown. From what I can make out, to the far right is the millisecond (? is that right?), to the left of that are the seconds, and to the left of that are the minutes. Earlier in the video when I saw a change in the minutes on the counter I then counted the seconds changing and right at 60 seconds the minutes changed (around 2:42/43 in the video). Then I started counting the seconds again and only a few seconds later (around 2:49) the minute changed again, instead of the usual 60 seconds later. So - just before the pauses in time others have mentioned, there also seems to be a lapse in time that has been edited from the video.

Is it strange that the full 4:00 minute video would be released when Elisa is only on the video for less than 3 minutes?

Just checked in to this thread... So I am way behind...

But I am already fascinated!

:what:

That would make sense in terms of the blurred out bit!

The thing that makes me think it's not a keycard is that I've worked in a few hotels, and in every one of them, you can't select/light up a floor unless the keycard has been accepted (it just doesn't light up). Also, I seem to remember reading up thread that this particular hotel uses keys, not keycards, but I might be remembering incorrectly!

You recalled correctly, kunibob. Old fashioned keys are used here.

Also, welcome to WS!

:welcome4:

I hope LE will release an update today. The amount of speculation with this case is crazy! I've seen everything from "she's acting totally normal" to theories of the paranormal and possession! But all people can do is speculate with so little information. I still kind of feel like LE might have a lead and that's why they've gone so quiet.

Seajay and sillybilly - I noticed this too! But, I figured my eyes were playing tricks on me or it was poor quality video. After reading that the video could have been edited to remove people, it does seem possible that this is the case.

One other thing I noticed with the time counter at the bottom of the screen (other than the stops previously mentioned) is a lapse of time in the counter where it appears the minutes are shown. From what I can make out, to the far right is the millisecond (? is that right?), to the left of that are the seconds, and to the left of that are the minutes. Earlier in the video when I saw a change in the minutes on the counter I then counted the seconds changing and right at 60 seconds the minutes changed (around 2:42/43 in the video). Then I started counting the seconds again and only a few seconds later (around 2:49) the minute changed again, instead of the usual 60 seconds later. So - just before the pauses in time others have mentioned, there also seems to be a lapse in time that has been edited from the video.

Is it strange that the full 4:00 minute video would be released when Elisa is only on the video for less than 3 minutes?

BBM

It took me a few times going through the video & counting (and getting my eyes fixed on what I was looking for), but I see what you're saying! This gets more & more interesting......

When she gets on the elevator, she pushes four buttons
Different floors?

It seems she also pushed other buttons
I don't know if the other buttons pushed would hold the door open or not

Why is she scootched into the corner before walking in and out of the elevator?

It appears to me as if she is talking to someone, her mouth/lips are moving and all of the hand signals

Many people have been asking what time of day the video of Elisa was taken. I just found this:

"...police don't know what time of day the footage was taken, but added that investigators are still interviewing staff at the hotel."

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/news/LA...r+with+video/7971056/story.html#ixzz2LMBCXTvl

I find it odd LE wouldn't know what time of day the footage was taken. This must mean the timestamp on the video was either wrong or the blurring wasn't intentional.

According to the LAPD, Lam arrived in L.A. on Jan. 26. The last sighting of her was on Jan. 31 by staff at the Cecil Hotel, around the same time the elevator footage was taken.

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/LA...r+with+video/7971056/story.html#ixzz2LMBCXTvl

If they don't know what time the elevator footage was taken, how can they know the last sighting by hotel staff was around that time?

If she was seen by staff, a general time must be known

When she gets on the elevator, she pushes four buttons
Different floors?

It seems she also pushed other buttons
I don't know if the other buttons pushed would hold the door open or not

Why is she scootched into the corner before walking in and out of the elevator?

It appears to me as if she is talking to someone, her mouth/lips are moving and all of the hand signals

Is it just me, or does it look like when she pushes the top button (first button she pushes) it lights up and then right away is unlit? I notice it when she first goes in the elevator, and then again when she re-enters and pushes all of the buttons again. I have only viewed the video on my phone, but that is what it looks like to me. If so, I would think that the reason the button would light up then go out right away is because that is the floor she is on. So strange.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288