IN IN - Renee Bruhl, Patricia Blough & Ann Miller, Indiana Dunes SP, 2 July 1966

I wonder how far out the girls swam to get on his boat in the first place.

Regardless of regulations on boats staying a distance from the swimming area, the boat would probably have had to be close enough to the beach for it and the occupants (the man and three women) to have been seen on the film made by the home movie camera.

Regardless of regulations on boats staying a distance from the swimming area, the boat would probably have had to be close enough to the beach for it and the occupants (the man and three women) to have been seen on the film made by the home movie camera.

Very true. The movie cameras back then were usually handheld 8mm types which were not very high resolution. It is possible that the camera was a larger 16 mm. They were much more expensive and bulky, but had much higher resolution and clarity. A telephoto lens would make for better resolution as well. We just do not know what kind of camera it was.

The boats would have had to be somewhat close in order to even make out people on board. Wish we knew the specifics. Do the investigators even have a copy of that film today? Or access to the origional to make an enhanced version with todays technology?

I assume the agency that did the investigation has the original or, at least, a copy. I have wondered if that agency has considered using modern technology to try and obtain more identification of the boat in question or other details that are pictured on that film.

The Trihull Runabout Boat

I think that the most solid lead investigators had was the early report by eyewitnesses who stated that they saw the girls get into a Trihull runabout motor boat driven by a young man. These same witnesses stated that the girls left their stuff on the beach and did not return for it.

Days later, other witnesses came forward. Some confirmed the Trihull runabout story, others gave conflicting testimony, and others added different information.

While any or all of the witnesses may have been correct in their memories, I feel that the strongest lead was the origional story, and that they should concentrate on locating that motorboat and its operator. Below are some links which show photos of Trihull runabouts.

As you can see, they are small, sporty, speed boats much like a small convertable sports car.

LINKs:

http://www.hhscott.com/evinrude/marine_survey.htm

http://www.fiberglassics.com/library/Thunderbird

It's unfortunate that more information on the boat was not obtained with-in the weeks after the incident. Where might authorities look now - these 46 years later?

I wonder if any of the witnesses are still living not that it's likely to matter.

If the movie footage of the trihull still exists, perhaps the image of the boat's registration number on the bow could be enhanced and read. Or at least the specific make and model of boat might be learned.

The states of Indiana, Illinois, and Michigan Departments of Natural Resources might still have boat registration records dating back to 1966.

I first learned of this incident by reading an article in a detective magazine back in the 1980's. The story was also contained in a book that came out some years ago about unsolved Chicago area murders and disappearances. I can recall that weekend and remember that July 4th came on a Monday.

Had this disappearance taken place in more recent years, there would be intensive coverage by cable news networks and it would have no doubt been reported on newscasts by the major networks and network morning shows would probably have had family members on to talk about it. I do wonder what kind of coverage it received in such newspapers as the Chicago Tribune and for how long?

Although it took place over 45 years ago, I think there are still some who know what happened to these women and who was responsible.

Fascinating case, no doubt. About the initial media coverage, and I haven’t read much of the original works, but remember this is less than two weeks before the infamous Richard Speck murders in Chicago. That investigation, trial and publicity might have overshadowed this case during the early days.

About the film shot, I don’t know what kind of film it was but remember the Zapruder film ? That’s from this period, shot on 8mm, color and modern investigative works have uncovered stunning clarity. If you’re curious about it, check out the ABC program ‘Beyond Conspiracy with Peter Jennings.’ Produced in 2003, it’s available on DVD and rentable on Netflix.

Fascinating case, no doubt. About the initial media coverage, and I haven’t read much of the original works, but remember this is less than two weeks before the infamous Richard Speck murders in Chicago. That investigation, trial and publicity might have overshadowed this case during the early days.

About the film shot, I don’t know what kind of film it was but remember the Zapruder film ? That’s from this period, shot on 8mm, color and modern investigative works have uncovered stunning clarity. If you’re curious about it, check out the ABC program ‘Beyond Conspiracy with Peter Jennings.’ Produced in 2003, it’s available on DVD and rentable on Netflix.

The Murders of Eight Student Nurses in Chicago by Richard Speck were particularly gruesome and the story was front page national news for weeks. Life Magazine dedicated a whole issue to covering them.

The disappearance of these three women from Indiana Dunes State Park, on the other hand, was more of a local story of limited distribution and coverage. To my knowledge the two cases were never linked in news stories of the time, and I do not know if police ever considered any possible connections.

Personally, I feel that the two cases were NOT connected. I base this on Speck's personallity and MO. He was a particularly creepy guy - not exactly a lady's man. If he showed up in a boat, you would probably swim to shore rather than climb aboard.

When he invaded the house where the student nurses were staying, he basically strong-armed his way in and coerced them with weapons into a single room. He did not try to lure them into a fun time or boat ride. He simply armed himself, sneaked into their home and attacked them quickly and violently .

Regarding the movie film... I wish that we knew more about it and if it exists today. It might help in resolving the case.

I haven't been following this thread over the years so I don't know if there's anything new in the following article, but I thought I'd post the link here in any case:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/justice-story/3-girls-beach-found-article-1.1216303

"Three young women took a boat ride on Lake Michigan in 1966 ... and were never seen again

Retired newspaper reporter believes disappearance of Patty Blough, Renee Bruhl and Ann Miller is linked to couple who performed abortion on houseboat"

By David J. Krajicek / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Published: Sunday, December 9, 2012, 2:00 AM
Updated: Sunday, December 9, 2012, 2:00 AM

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/justice-story/3-girls-beach-found-article-1.1216303#ixzz2EaTPUd5e

The theory given by the former newspaper reporter was previously provided here, but thanks for providing the N.Y. Daily News article from yesterday.

I don't agree with that theory, mainly because it seems like the two girls would have gone through too many un-necessary steps that day, like going to a public beach, leaving their belongings behind, etc. Why wouldn't they have met a boat taking them to a houseboat for something like an abortion at a more secluded location? Wouldn't they have wanted their personal belongings with them? There might be something to the couple providing abortions although it seems like there would have been easier and more secretive ways to do that than on a boat in Lake Michigan.

Bumping this up. On the subject of the small tri hull, do they have to be registered etc? Similar to a car? Just this could be a way of tracing ownership.

Mark.

Bumping this up. On the subject of the small tri hull, do they have to be registered etc? Similar to a car? Just this could be a way of tracing ownership.

Mark.

Boats have hull numbers or Serial numbers on them placed there by the manufacturer. They serve the same purpose as a Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) on a motor vehicle.

Each state has laws which specify requirements for Boat title and registration. And those laws vary and differ slightly from state to state. But... generally speaking, to be registered, a boat has to first be titled.

Some factors which go into the determination as to whether or not a boat must be licensed are;
- boat length
- motor size (in horse power)
- intended usage

Some boats do not have to be registered. These would be boats or canoes which are under 16 feet in length and are only rowed or paddled manually. In most states, a boat with a motor of more than 10 horsepower would have to be registerd.

A boat can be titled and registered in any state and then kept in another one. Unlike car registrations which have to be in your state of residence, it is not necessary to re-title and re-register a boat if you move with the boat to another state.

A boat registration number is issued by the State Department of Natural Resources to the boat owner. It consists of two letters, followed by four numerals, followed by the two letter abbreviation for the state in which it is registered. Example: AG 1234 MD.

The boat owner afixes these letters and numerals (usually three inches high) to both sides of the bow, along with the annual validation sticker and any other special use stickers (such as Crabbing or Fishing licenses).

That same combination of registration letters and numerals stays with the boat each successive year, even if the boat is sold to someone else - as long as the new owner re-registers it in the same state.

The Murders of Eight Student Nurses in Chicago by Richard Speck were particularly gruesome and the story was front page national news for weeks. Life Magazine dedicated a whole issue to covering them.

The disappearance of these three women from Indiana Dunes State Park, on the other hand, was more of a local story of limited distribution and coverage. To my knowledge the two cases were never linked in news stories of the time, and I do not know if police ever considered any possible connections.

Personally, I feel that the two cases were NOT connected. I base this on Speck's personallity and MO. He was a particularly creepy guy - not exactly a lady's man. If he showed up in a boat, you would probably swim to shore rather than climb aboard.

When he invaded the house where the student nurses were staying, he basically strong-armed his way in and coerced them with weapons into a single room. He did not try to lure them into a fun time or boat ride. He simply armed himself, sneaked into their home and attacked them quickly and violently .

Agreed, I don’t think the two cases are remotely related. The comparison of of the two was for timing (perhaps a little local geography). Meaning, early attention to this case, even locally, might have been overshadowed by the Speck case which garnered a nation swarm of media.

This Tuesday will mark the 47 year anniversary of the disappearance of these three young women.

I'm not sure the women will ever be found, but I DO think this crime is solvable. The ties to the horse stable and the Helen Brach case are tantalizing.....

This Tuesday will mark the 47 year anniversary of the disappearance of these three young women.

In 1966, July 4 fell on a Monday - thus the day the three women were last seen was Saturday, July 2.

Until today, there hasn't been anything written on this topic for some months. Maybe this will get it started again. Still a mystery for almost 47 years.

:bump: for Renee, Patricia, and Ann, missing 47 years today. :(

bruhl_renee.jpg

Renee Bruhl

blough_patricia.jpg

Patricia Blough

miller_ann.jpg

Ann Miller

I always thought the abortion on a boat or horse thieves following them to the beach theories were far fetched at best.
In this weeks paper I read of a young boy at the same park being swallowed by a sinkhole, his family saw it happen and was able to get him out although he is still in the hospital. Yesterday another sinkhole appeared.

I racked my brain for two days wondering why the name of a park 1000 miles from my house sounded so familiar. Then I remembered the story of the missing girls.
I wonder if in light of this the police may look into the ground itself for answers.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back