General Discussion Thread #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's actually irrelevant if the are any previous incidences of intruders in the estate. OP has been a victim of crime( although I'm not sure what at this time). We lived in our previous home for 7 years and only had the one invasion. None so far in our current home. If you look at the aerial pictures of the estate as it currently is, there is a lot of building and construction going on so that tells me there will be a lot of labourers, contractors etc etc comming and going all day. Its fact that a lot of homes that are broken into are done so AFTER a homeowner has had some sort of work/renovations etc done to it. Any criminal could gain access to the estate by pretending to be with construction or even any of the workers themselves, just remaining in one of the many half built houses at the end of the day when the rest of the crews leave.

In general, as a defense for murdering someone accidentally, or proof of murdering someone on purpose, I don't know how relevant it is. In this specific case, I think it is relevant because OP's statement includes the claim that he has been victimized and this contributed to his need for firearms and his state of mind in perceiving the noise in the bathroom as a potential threat. IIRC, the prosecution countered that they found no reports of crimes against OP on file with police. I don't have the link, so if anyone remembers this differently, please chime in.

JMO.

Thanks for the links.

So it seems that Reeva was indeed very happy and by at least 10.30pm that fateful night, had absolutely no reason to fear OP!

Thank you for this,I am deaf so I was going to ask what she said.

In general, as a defense for murdering someone accidentally, or proof of murdering someone on purpose, I don't know how relevant it is. In this specific case, I think it is relevant because OP's statement includes the claim that he has been victimized and this contributed to his need for firearms and his state of mind in perceiving the noise in the bathroom as a potential threat. IIRC, the prosecution countered that they found no reports of crimes against OP on file with police. I don't have the link, so if anyone remembers this differently, please chime in.

JMO.

very important.
thank you

No. He is reported(if that means anything) to have said he was holding boxes of the herbal substance for a friend.

Another article covering a number of SA & OP issues: guns in SA, OP's relationship with his father, etc.

Interestingly, although not relevant, OP's father shot himself in the testicles while cleaning his gun.

I haven't read the whole article until I get home:

http://www.mg.co.za/article/2013-02-22-00-pistorius-south-africa-bears-and-breeds-these-men

Pistorius told the UK's Guardian in a 2011 interview that his father "wasn't around much when we grew up. I saw him seldom – and it's the same now. He lives and works very far from me, on a dolomite mine."

The 26-year-old athlete described his father to the Guardian as "a cool guy but he's more of a mate. He's not much of a parent. It's just life."

Pistorius and his father seem to share a fascination with guns. According to a recent Beeld report, Henke also kept several guns and once, infamously, shot himself in the testicles while cleaning one of them.

Paranoia, gun obsession and a lack of male role models are just some of the factors that appear to coalesce in Pistorius. These factors are also burnished in the institutions where junior sportspeople are made – their schools. Most South African international sportspeople in codes like athletics, rugby and cricket emerge from single-sex schools like Grey College, Bishops and Selborne College. In this case, the school is Pretoria Boys High, where, like others of its ilk, patriarchy and misogyny seem to be entrenched through "traditions", rituals and institutional DNA.

END QUOTE

JMO.
I'm not sure but in his statement it states he has received death threats and was a victim of violence and burglaries before. I doubt that would have been added if he couldn't back it up. He also states being acutely aware of violent crime and intruders.

One sure thing, his thinking there was an intruder is a plausible excuse! From all accounts, from those who live in cities in SA, it's entirely plausible for people to fear home invasions which will end in their death. What I do not find plausible is his narrative of the event.

Yes, we ought to be able to sleuth. If we have to wait until the trial is held, then we would have little to mull over on these boards. In many cases we speculate upon, he body has never been found, the trail is ice-cold, and we've nothing but second-hand reports. None of us have any power over the outcome of this case. So we do no harm to speculate ourselves silly--which often we do.

I'm not sure but in his statement it states he has received death threats and was a victim of violence and burglaries before. I doubt that would have been added if he couldn't back it up. He also states being acutely aware of violent crime and intruders.

I don't think it's fair to assume OP only says things he knows he can verify with evidence at a later date. Many people don't operate that way. It's also possible he experienced crime and did not report it to police. I don't know. But I recall reading during the bail hearing there were no reports on file with police. I will look for a link to be certain.

JMO.

No. He is reported(if that means anything) to have said he was holding boxes of the herbal substance for a friend.

I disagree. Defense atty has said it was OP's--but herbal. Ammo was said to be held for his Dad iirc.

:floorlaugh:

Lol. I thought this is funny. Who does that? Why would anyone want you to? Why would you keep it by your bed and not toss in the closet or wherever?

He was also stashing his dad's ammo illegally. Does he have anything in his home that is his?

Just saw the dad shot himself? This family should not have guns!!!

Still on the fence about OP's actual legal situation, so that is not why I put these comments up. Just observations.

I think I read that about security with machine guns at that estate's own website.

And as far as no incidents RE poor prior behavior by OP--I think this is almost massive by now.
From
Ms. Taylor--former gf--was scared off from publicly revealing...
The woman he assaulted and spent a hight in jail over--if not for his money and connections...
Rugby player tried to warn RS against OP--so it was well known
Fired gun in restaurant--again anyone else would have gone to jail
NYTimes writer found him to be "reckless...and an adrenaline junkie"
Mr Myers' statements

Much there.
Lets see:
Ms Taylor..I can't comment so will wait until she takes the stand.
The woman he assaulted?? He didn't assault her, he threw her out of his house because she was drunk, slammed the door on her, a panel popped out the door and hit the girl- I don't think he intended for the panel to pop out but anyway...
Rugby player - speculation and not confirmed. All from nameless sources but its a possibility...will wait for trial.
Fired gun in restaurant..was damn stupid but not intentional and not confirmed. Owner was told and nothing was heard...but it's more than likely true.
Being reckless and an adrenalin junkie does not make you a violent murderer.
And Mr Myers...he has lost a " daughter" I'm sure he is not sending sympathy cards to OP. but I did post my opinion a few pages back on this and there really isn't more I can say.

If anything, Ms Taylor is the only damning this in this lot and we haven't heard what she has to say yet. Take to mind that she wanted to spill her guts after OP left her for Reeva...she could possibly wanted to tell the world that he was a womanizing scoundrel and not a innocent golden boy....which we all now know, he is not.

Lets see:
Ms Taylor..I can't comment so will wait until she takes the stand.
The woman he assaulted?? He didn't assault her, he threw her out of his house because she was drunk, slammed the door on her, a panel popped out the door and hit the girl- I don't think he intended for the panel to pop out but anyway...
Rugby player - speculation and not confirmed. All from nameless sources but its a possibility...will wait for trial.
Fired gun in restaurant..was damn stupid but not intentional and not confirmed. Owner was told and nothing was heard...but it's more than likely true.
Being reckless and an adrenalin junkie does not make you a violent murderer.
And Mr Myers...he has lost a " daughter" I'm sure he is not sending sympathy cards to OP. but I did post my opinion a few pages back on this and there really isn't more I can say.

If anything, Ms Taylor is the only damning this in this lot and we haven't heard what she has to say yet. Take to mind that she wanted to spill her guts after OP left her for Reeva...she could possibly wanted to tell the world that he was a womanizing scoundrel and not a innocent golden boy....which we all now know, he is not.

Cops arrested him for assault and deliberately slamming the door on the woman.

I doubt they would have arrested OP, if not for great reason. After the fact--I would wager his money and connections threatened her. Just as Ms Taylor was threatened to stop.

All this will now come out.

What I took from the interview is as follows:

- Prior to Reeva's death, Reeva's friend/roommate had the impression she was happy in her relationship with OP.
- Reeva had been in a long-term relationship with someone else prior to this new relationship with OP.
- Reeva's friend/roommate is not comfortable sharing her opinion about what happened and is interested in what evidence will be shared at trial.
- Reeva's friend/roommate hopes the truth will emerge during the trial and that justice will prevail.
- Reeva's friend/roommate would prefer greater focus on Reeva, the victim, in media reports.

Thanks for this info. She sounds like she was a good friend with Reeva, and, from the points you've listed above, she appears to have a smart head on her shoulders.

I would be very interested to hear her elaborate further cause I think she could answer a few questions that hopefully would debunk some of the cow-pie-info being fed to us through Daily Mail/National Enquirer. jmo

I saw a clip of Reeva, very beautiful and bright young lady, doing a spot on some reality show, where she explains how much fun she was having, and how difficult some of the physical aspects of the show were for her as she had broken her back at some point in her life, unable to recall her exact words. Anyways, she came across, to me, as down to earth, happy with her life, busy, busy and on the rise, imo.

Can't even begin to imagine the heartache her family and close friends who knew her are feeling. :(

Some may have already seen this clip.....

http://ac360.blogs.cnn.com/2013/02/22/remembering-reeva-steenkamp/

I don't think it's fair to assume OP only says things he knows he can verify with evidence at a later date. Many people don't operate that way. It's also possible he experienced crime and did not report it to police. I don't know. But I recall reading during the bail hearing there were no reports on file with police. I will look for a link to be certain.

JMO.

Here's a link on the topic from a reporter at the bail hearing. In this tweet, he was quoting Nel. https://twitter.com/barrybateman/status/304164182872432640

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amberdw2021