Moms Say Geico Pig Commercial Promotes Bestiality

I've seen that commercial, and the thought of bestiality never crossed my mind...I guess it all depends on what you're thinking of.

No prude here, either, but this is exactly how I feel about the Geico commercial, too.

And me. I even felt strange enough about the commercial to make a post in "The Jury Room" on the "Commercials that Annoy You" about it.

I *do* like the "Wee wee all the way home" and "When Pigs Fly" commercials, so it's not the existence of the pig I'm irritated by. But there's something just so creepy and gross about this particular commercial that just irks me.

I'll admit freely that the geeko is adorable, though.

Best-
Herding Cats

I've seen that commercial, and the thought of bestiality never crossed my mind...I guess it all depends on what you're thinking of.

Not picking on you at all, OG, but I see this expressed here...

But I would like to say that I don't run around thinking of beastiality, or anything of the kind.

I can't say anything about the Million Moms, but I do protest the implication that those who have thought negatively of this commercial are considered "thinking" of beastiality.

Best-
Herding Cats

But I would like to say that I don't run around thinking of beastiality, or anything of the kind.

I can't say anything about the Million Moms, but I do protest the implication that those who have thought negatively of this commercial are considered "thinking" of beastiality.

Best-
Herding Cats

I'm not OG but I don't think that she was implying that at all.

For my own part I can understand how someone could find the commercial distasteful or annoying yet not be thinking of bestiality. If anything I've said here suggests otherwise, then I wasn't clear.

But--and this is not directed at you, just jumping off here--taking the Million Moms' reasoning to another logical conclusion, what about all those Swiffer commercials where a woman "breaks up" with her mop? It's okay, I guess, to imply that women have sex with mops.

(On second thought, I don't think the word "logical" can be used within a ten-foot-pole of the Million Moms' stance.)

Found this.

In an unrelated incident, reported in 2000, a girl's Tinky Winky toy reportedly said "I got a gun." Kenn Viselman claimed the toy actually said "Again, again!" a catchphrase from the show.[14] In a similar incident in 1998, a girl's talking Po doll was thought to be saying "****** ******, ****** ******, ****** ******, bite my butt", as well as "fatty, fatty." The toy was recalled and it was revealed to have said "fidit, fidit, and mon, mon" inspired by the Cantonese for "faster, faster, and slower, slower". [15]

Teletubbies - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Many mothers are wonderful, intelligent people. Yet when self-proclaimed "moms" or "mums" band together to demand something, it's almost always something stupid, sinister or both. If I were a mother, I'd be pretty annoyed about that.

LOL. My mom, a sixty-eight year old grandmother, was so upset about this commercial. She called me and asked if I had ever seen it and went on to explain it. When I saw the commercial I just laughed and thought, "oh mom". It's stupid for sure. But so is a talking gecko.

IMO it would be funny to use the same girl/pig/car scene in a promo about drinking too much. NOT that the girl would end up in a bestiality situation but that she might not see what a pig the guy that picked her up really is.

Some people need to get a life, and a sense of humor!!

Best-
Herding Cats

Let me apologize first for being out of it...I've had a house full of sick kids, husband, self. I don't understand what you're saying here.

Best-
Herding Cats

Well said. Like there can't be any middle ground here? I like the pig, I don't like this commercial. The woman wants to make out with an actual pig. That's just wrong. You shouldn't date out side your species. Gieco has had some great commercial concepts over the years and I have enjoyed most of them, but not this one.

I didn't immediately think of bestiality (the actual act of sex with an animal)

but the first time I saw it I thought, is she disappointed the pig isn't interested in making out?

the commercial is stupid, but I don't think it warrants the hoopla its getting from the million moms and I think its a stretch to say it promotes bestiality.

OK, I just want to make sure I get all the interspecies interaction rules and regulations straight.

Woman wanting to make out with pig = bad

Woman having (strongly implied) fling with gecko = acceptable?

I have to admit, I'm fascinated by this discussion. If I were kidnapped and forced at gunpoint to make out with either of these, my choice, I'd take the clean, cute, warmblooded pig over the...shudder...scaly reptile affecting a fake accent any day. NOT that I expect this to happen, of course. Just thinking hypothetically.

Now, what about all those princesses and other girls kissing frogs? Is making out with amphibians acceptable? Or is it acceptable only if he promises to turn into a prince afterward?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bc2msm8aHQk

It's so funny, Izzy...I composed a post a few minutes ago about frog princes but gave up.

I do want to say that my opinion, without ever hearing of the Milllion Moms, before this thread: they need to get their minds out of the deepest gutter. Bestiality? Really?

Since I go to great lengths to avoid TV commercials, I haven't seen all the GEICO ads. I did like the early gecko ones and I hated the ape man ones. I used to force myself to watch the Super Bowl for the ads (even tape it/them) until youtube came along and they're posted there. :) And yep, I love the Clio Awards (love to have someone else sift out the chaff for me)...do they even have those anymore?

The ironic (and funny, even twisted) thing is that I'm very unlikely to buy GEICO insurance. It could happen, someday, but it won't be cuz of TV ads. LOL.

I'm very resistant to advertising (except for some discounts and sales, etc.).

Now, what about all those princesses and other girls kissing frogs? Is making out with amphibians acceptable? Or is it acceptable only if he promises to turn into a prince afterward?

Right. To get all serious for a moment, the people behind this "controversy" are ignoring a tradition of anthropomorphic animal characters that stretches from the earliest known myths and fairy tales right through to modern-day cartoons. These characters are not bound by the normal rules that govern either humans or animals, which is precisely what makes them appealing - they transgress boundaries that the audience themselves can never cross. Real-world sexual perversions simply don't enter into it.

Hazarding a guess that the literal, fearful, judgmental million-moms are not the target audience of the geico commercials.

Heck, one of the major inside jokes here is that none of the women in the pig/geico commercials realize that Maxwell is a pig. Yet, the pig remains very self-aware. He knows he's a pig. A pig with great affection for his smart phone apps.

(That's made clear in the first commercial - Maxwell the pig on a plane. Maybe the million moms missed that one? Is it critical to see the Maxwell-on-the-plane installment in order to enjoy the car installment? Not for most.)

And surely, everyone realizes this is a computer-generated pig. A 2013 version of a cartoon-pig. Pretend. Like Jessica Rabbit.

Should we revert to old-fashioned cartoons to keep the cartoonish-ness of such characters more obvious for those who live in a literal world?

I don't know. Little pink pigs are universally adorable.

And when little pink pigs talk in a grown man's voice - they are ... showing us our first impressions are not always correct. ;)

LOL

Anyway, I sort of love these commercials. They're full of subtext, symbolism, metaphor, cheekiness, social commentary. Both the pig and the gecko are very relateable characters, with their self-effacing anthropomorphic humor. No need to find the "exactly right-looking actor sort" - when you can just see geico's world through their animated "everyman" characters.

Perhaps the saddest commentary in this "news" story here is the idea that there might be a million moms out there intent on raising children in a literal world full of evil, and void of story-telling, parable, deeper meanings, humor, imagination and worlds where pigs fly.

IMO, the MMs should probably stop watching TV & take their kids to the local library where they can all learn some critical thinking skills.

:moo:

Hazarding a guess that the literal, fearful, judgmental million-moms are not the target audience of the geico commercials.

Heck, one of the major inside jokes here is that none of the women in the pig/geico commercials realize that Maxwell is a pig. Yet, the pig remains very self-aware. He knows he's a pig. A pig with great affection for his smart phone apps.

(That's made clear in the first commercial - Maxwell the pig on a plane. Maybe the million moms missed that one? Is it critical to see the Maxwell-on-the-plane installment in order to enjoy the car installment? Not for most.)

And surely, everyone realizes this is a computer-generated pig. A 2013 version of a cartoon-pig. Pretend. Like Jessica Rabbit.

Should we revert to old-fashioned cartoons to keep the cartoonish-ness of such characters more obvious for those who live in a literal world?

I don't know. Little pink pigs are universally adorable.

And when little pink pigs talk in a grown man's voice - they are ... showing us our first impressions are not always correct. ;)

LOL

Anyway, I sort of love these commercials. They're full of subtext, symbolism, metaphor, cheekiness, social commentary. Both the pig and the gecko are very relateable characters, with their self-effacing anthropomorphic humor. No need to find the "exactly right-looking actor sort" - when you can just see geico's world through their animated "everyman" characters.

Perhaps the saddest commentary in this "news" story here is the idea that there might be a million moms out there intent on raising children in a literal world full of evil, and void of story-telling, parable, deeper meanings, humor, imagination and worlds where pigs fly.

IMO, the MMs should probably stop watching TV & take their kids to the local library where they can all learn some critical thinking skills.

:moo:

Maybe a large font disclaimer flashing at the bottom of the screen advising young women not to engage in sexual acts with pigs on a first date is order! :floorlaugh:

I do like TV commercials that are humorous, make me think (but not too hard, LOL). The carpool one and plane one were obvious ("wee wee wee" and "when pigs fly")...all in good fun (but obviously meant to create buzz and make $$$). Without having seen it yet (may never see it), the offensive one (and subject of this thread) seems to be challenging stereotypes and even acknowledging women's sexuality. How's that for an alternative view? ;)

(I'll prepare myself to make a lovely sauce of the tomatoes thrown at me)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OccasionalMallard
Back