Arias Trial; Compare the receipts and the monetary transactions

She claims she returned the gas can bought at Walmart, yet usually Walmart will make a note on your original receipt to mark which item was returned. Her receipt doesn't show it.

This seems to be a particularly pointless lie. Does she think having 2 cans makes her not guilty while 3 cans makes her guilty? It's bizarre.

You are absolutely correct about Wal-Mart returns and I wish Juan would have thought to bring that up this afternoon! They do cross off and initial next to the return, EVERY TIME. Great catch, bravo!

@ Sustained: Your calculations are correct. There is at least 300 miles unaccounted for and several hours. She was ordering at an In N Out in Sparks, NV at 10:43 AM on 6-6. 26 hours later, she is putting gas in the car in Redding, CA. Then a little less than an hour after that she return the car. She was scheduled to turn it in at 9:30 AM. If she was 3-4 hours away on 6-6, why was she unable to tuen the car in on time? What did she do or where did she go in that missing 26 hours?

Looking at the receipts a couple of things jumped out at me:

1) She ordered two meals 5 minutes apart at In N Out starting at 10:38 AM. 5 minutes isn't a long time from the end of one purchase to the end of the next if you consider that the food had to be prepared, she had to eat it, she had to get back in line, and she had to re-order. One of In N Out's selling points is the freshly cooked hamburgers they serve. When was the last time you ate a hamburger in 5 minutes and did not look like a ravenous dog doing it. 5 minutes is about the right amount of time to finish putting gas in the car and walk across the street to the In N Out. The gas transaction started at 10:34 Am and she had made the first order at 10:38 AM. Most pay at the pumps have you swipe your card prior to filling up, so the time stamp would be at that point.

2) Who uses multiple transactions to fill their car up or fill the car and cans? Most people do it all in one transaction. When did she fill the cans up? None of the transactions seem to support an extra 10-15 gallons of gas being purchased. No where she bought gas was significantly different in price, with the exception of Sparks which was 4.99 a gallon. Everywhere else was within $0.30 of each other. For that savings on 20 gallons, who would want the headache (fumes) of having cans in the car or the worry that they might spill in the rental car?

3) Her times don't add up. She drove from SLC to Sparks (525 miles) in about 6.5 hours. That is an average of 80-81 mph. She drove from Pasadena to Mesa in 7 hours, a trip according to MapQuest that should take almost exactly 6 hours (she would have averaged about 54-55 mph). One would assume that she had traveld from/to Mesa before, so she should not get lost on that portion of the trip. So, that is 1 hour, Pasadena to Mesa, and 26 hours, Sparks to Redding, unaccounted for. Travis was killed between 5-6 PM, 16-17 hours later she shows up in Utah (36 hours later than she lead Burns to believe she would be there. The trip is roughly 11 hours by MapQuest. That is 5-6 hours unaccounted for. She had to sleep at some point, but where did she sleep?

Those are just a few questions from a quick glance at the receipts.

Regarding #3 - I believe you have to take the time zone changes into account. Sparks NV and Pasadena CA are in the Pacific Time Zone while SLC and Mesa are in the Mountain Zone.

Correction - the times are the same in Arizona as California in the summer, but would be an hour different between Sparks NV (PST) and Utah (MST).

I had not accounted for the Time Zones between SLC and Sparks, I live on the East Coast, so I didn't even think about it. It doesn't make a lot of difference in that trip. She covered the 525 miles in 7.5 rather than 6.5 for an average speed of 70 mph. She traveled 200 miles from Sparks to Redding in less than 2 hours, which means she averaged about 100 mph. Given the rates of speed for the northern portion of her trip, we are to believe that she only averaged 55 mph on the Pasadena to Mesa section of the trip. This would be the section of the trip that she would be most familiar with, and one would think she would not have any concerns about getting lost on this section. Why was she going so slow?

I had not accounted for the Time Zones between SLC and Sparks, I live on the East Coast, so I didn't even think about it. It doesn't make a lot of difference in that trip. She covered the 525 miles in 7.5 rather than 6.5 for an average speed of 70 mph. She traveled 200 miles from Sparks to Redding in less than 2 hours, which means she averaged about 100 mph. Given the rates of speed for the northern portion of her trip, we are to believe that she only averaged 55 mph on the Pasadena to Mesa section of the trip. This would be the section of the trip that she would be most familiar with, and one would think she would not have any concerns about getting lost on this section. Why was she going so slow?

I believe the elapsed time from Sparks NV to Redding CA was 26 hours, not 2 hours.

Yeah, just ignore that. I have that stuck in my head from looking at the link to the map of her road trip (http://www.hlntv.com/slideshow/2013/02/11/jodi-arias-trial-tragic-roadtrip). I was looking through the different slides and following the timeline and segements of her trip that I intially did not realize that each slide was a different day. I figured it out, eventually, but it keeps creeping back in at times. Please ignore that and ignore it in the future if it sneaks out again. So, you are correct, I just cannot get that mistake to leave my brain.

I'm still having trouble with the gas can issue. I know the answer is there, but I just can't get it to add up. Her car held about 14 gallons of gas and she had an additional 10 gallons (by her admission) or 15 (by the Pros). I guess I'm having trouble because she makes multiple purchases at each stop for odd amounts or she goes for long stretches where she doesn't make any purchases, then on the trip from SLC to Sparks (a 525 mile trip) she but 42.18 gallons. 42.18 gallons would get you 1307 miles in a 2006 sedan and 1391 miles in a 2007 sedan. Why would she need that much gas at this stage of her trip? This coupled with the 26 hour gap from Sparks until she purchased gas in Redding really makes me think her disposal of evidence occurred in Norther California or Western Nevada rather than western Arizona.

She does so many things that don't make sense. The whole point of her trip was to see Burns in Utah, yet she did not even spend an entire day with him.

She testified she drove home to Yureka because she had to work that night. The following morning she returned the car to Redding. That would account for the extra mileage. jmo

I was interested in the checks she wrote to Travis. It seems the one she wrote on the 11th of January was #3008 then the 25th (?) was #3009. Then the next one was #3012. The one found on his desk after his death was #3059. I don't for a minute think she had mailed it to him. I think she brought that with her....knowing it would never be cashed.

What I think would be interesting is to see the actual checks she wrote. If there are checks with numbers higher than 3059, but have an earlier date on them, then it shows it was bogus.

Yeah, just ignore that. I have that stuck in my head from looking at the link to the map of her road trip (http://www.hlntv.com/slideshow/2013/02/11/jodi-arias-trial-tragic-roadtrip). I was looking through the different slides and following the timeline and segements of her trip that I intially did not realize that each slide was a different day. I figured it out, eventually, but it keeps creeping back in at times. Please ignore that and ignore it in the future if it sneaks out again. So, you are correct, I just cannot get that mistake to leave my brain.

I'm still having trouble with the gas can issue. I know the answer is there, but I just can't get it to add up. Her car held about 14 gallons of gas and she had an additional 10 gallons (by her admission) or 15 (by the Pros). I guess I'm having trouble because she makes multiple purchases at each stop for odd amounts or she goes for long stretches where she doesn't make any purchases, then on the trip from SLC to Sparks (a 525 mile trip) she but 42.18 gallons. 42.18 gallons would get you 1307 miles in a 2006 sedan and 1391 miles in a 2007 sedan. Why would she need that much gas at this stage of her trip? This coupled with the 26 hour gap from Sparks until she purchased gas in Redding really makes me think her disposal of evidence occurred in Norther California or Western Nevada rather than western Arizona.

She does so many things that don't make sense. The whole point of her trip was to see Burns in Utah, yet she did not even spend an entire day with him.

Captain, I was having trouble with the gas purchases, time and mileage as well, especially after yesterday's bombshell of the 3rd container.

It would seem that while she filled all available containers in LSC, she did not use them. As you said, she did things that don't make sense.

I believe the elapsed time from Sparks NV to Redding CA was 26 hours, not 2 hours.
Someone brought out in another thread that Arias had to work at Casa Ramos on the evening of 6/6/08. If that is the case, she would have hustled from Sparks to Yreka, a trip of a little over 4 hours to get home and ready for work. If indeed she actually went to work on 6/6 ...

1) She ordered two meals 5 minutes apart at In N Out starting at 10:38 AM. 5 minutes isn't a long time from the end of one purchase to the end of the next if you consider that the food had to be prepared, she had to eat it, she had to get back in line, and she had to re-order. One of In N Out's selling points is the freshly cooked hamburgers they serve. When was the last time you ate a hamburger in 5 minutes and did not look like a ravenous dog doing it. 5 minutes is about the right amount of time to finish putting gas in the car and walk across the street to the In N Out. The gas transaction started at 10:34 Am and she had made the first order at 10:38 AM. Most pay at the pumps have you swipe your card prior to filling up, so the time stamp would be at that point.

She really only made one purchase at In-N-Out. They always give you 2 receipts. If you look at the receipts they are the same order number. One is the credit card receipt and the other is just the order receipt they give you with your order. The times on the credit card machine vs the register must be off by a couple of minutes or they just print at different times.

In a 2008 Ford Focus, here is the estimated amount of gas Jodi would have had to use on her trip, from the locations we know:

Pasadena, CA to Mesa, AZ - 386 Miles, 11.7 gallons of gas
Mesa, AZ to Hoover Dam - 293 miles, 8.9 gallons of gas
Hoover Dam - Las Vegas to West Jordan, UT - 450 Miles, 13.6 gallons of gas
West Jordan, UT to Winnemuca, NV (via SLC) -367 miles, 11.1 gallons of gas
Winnemuca, NV to Sparks, NV - 163 miles, 4.9 gallons of gas
Sparks, NV to Yreka, CA - 255 miles, 7.7 gallons of gas
Yreka, CA to Redding, CA - 98 miles, 3 gallons of gas

That's a total of 61 gallons of gas, and let's add another 5 for driving around town in West Jordan,etc. for a total of 66 gallons of gas needed on the murder trip

Now I'm going to go look at the receipts and see how many gallons of gas we know she purchased and see how that compares.

ETA: I used this website to figure out how much gas she would need to drive these distances in a 2008 Ford Focus: http://beta.costtodrive.com/

airtickets.jpg

Could be mistaken, the image is sketchy. I beleive the memo says air tickets.

Keep in mind I don't know dates or if and when air tickets might be related to the case.

Looks like the check says Idaho. Did they take a trip there around that time?

sorry if you have figured it out already. I am just here lurking and reading your great posts

RECEIPTS

6/2, 5:37 am - Yreka - Shell/Syskiou Food Mart; Matercard 2015; Fuel $15.00

6/2, 8:04 AM - Redding -Budget; MasterCard 2015

6/2, 7:32 pm - Lodi, CA - MacDonald's; fries, water

6/2, 8:41 PM - Valero - - Mastercard 2015

6/3, 10:10 am - Monterey, CA - WAMU; deposit 400, acct 8006

6/3, 10:11 am -Monterey, CA - WAMU; deposit 300, acct 7148

6/3, 10:15 am - Monterey, CA - WAMU; deposit 100, acct 7148

6/3, 3:22 pm- Monterey/Salinas ? - Walmart; facial cleaner x2, neutrogena product x2, 5 gal kerosene container; paid cash $45

6/3, 8:31 pm - Pasadena, CA - CVS

6/3, 8:41 PM - Pasadena, CA - Starbuck; Mastercard 2015, $10.85

6/3, 8:42 PM- Pasadena, CA - Arco; Mastercard 2015, 8 gallons $35.06

6/3, 8:46 PM - Pasadena, CA - Arco, 9.59 gallons, $40

6/3 - Pasadena, CA; Arco, 2.77 gallons

6/6, 10:38 am - Sparks, NV - In and Out Burger; Mastercard $3.37

6/6, 3:57 am - SLC Utah - Tesoro; Mastercard 2015, 10.6 gallons, $41.18

6/6, 4:05 am - SLC Utah - Tesoro; Mastercard 2015; Fuel $36.98, 9.58 gallons

6/6 - Winnemucca, NV- Flying J; Mastercard 2015, 12 gallons, $49.91

6/6, 10:34 AM - Sparks, NV - 7-11; Mastercard 2015, 5 gallons

6/7, 12:28 PM - Redding CA - Valero; Mastercard, gas $40

6/7, 1:08 pm - Redding, CA - Budget

Per the receipts, Jodi picked up the rental car in Redding, CA at 8:04 AM on Monday, June 2nd, and she was next documented at McDonald's in Lodi, CA at 7:32 PM on Monday, June 2nd.

It takes only 3 hours to drive from Redding, CA to the McDonald's on I-5 South in Lodi, CA, so what did she do during those "missing" 8.5 hours???

Did she dye her hair? Did she purchase? Did she plan? She called Travis twice in the late afternoon, at 4:03 PM and 5:28 PM, but for the great majority of those 8.5 hours, we have no idea what she was up to...

Also, a receipt is missing above--the receipt for $46.11 from Mesquite, AZ in the wee morning hours on Thursday, June 5th, after the murder.

Jodi drove from Mesa, AZ to Mesquite, NV, by way of the Hoover Dam. This is a 402 mile drive via US-93 North. With three full 5-gallon gas cans in her trunk (from Pasadena), this is totally doable on a vehicle that gets at least 30 mpg for highway driving. (Something to consider, though, is that Jodi likely used the A/C while in the southwest, so didn't achieve optimal gas milage. Still, a 2007 or 2008 Ford Focus is stated to get approximately 34 mpg for highway driving, so a 30 mpg approximation is very fair, even after considering use of A/C.)

Incidentally, the useable gas tank capacity in a 2007 or 2008 Ford Focus is a solid 13 gallons, and at 30 mpg, that afforded Jodi 390 miles per tank.

When Jodi arrived in Mesquite, NV, 7 hours after leaving Mesa, AZ, she filled the tank (per the receipt for $46.11), then drove to West Jordan, UT. That trip is 331 miles, which is totally doable on a full tank of gas in a 2007 or 2008 Ford Focus.

On Friday, June 6th, Jodi left Salt Lake City, UT with a full tank of gas and what appears to have been 3 full 5-gallon gas cans. The thing is, none of the remaining legs of the trip on June 6th between Salt Lake City, UT and Yreka, CA (and ultimately, Redding, CA on June 7th) required more than a full tank of gas. Gas cans full of gas would no longer have been needed, so why would she have filled them up in Salt Lake City? (A contributor to this website suggests that she used the gas in the gas cans to create a bonfire to destroy evidence. I really like this theory, but 15 gallons is a bit excessive for a bonfire, no?)

The trip from Salt Lake City, UT to Winnemucca, NV is 351 miles. Totally doable on a full tank of gas in a 2007 or 2008 Ford Focus. Per the receipt, Jodi filled up the tank in Winnemucca, NV.

The trip from Winnemucca, NV to Sparks, NV is 163 miles. MORE than doable on a tank of gas in a 2007 or 2008 Ford Focus. Per the receipt, Jodi filled up the tank in Sparks, NV.

The trip from Sparks, NV to Yreka, CA (where she had to work that evening) is 255 miles. More than doable on a tank of gas in a 2007 or 2008 Ford Focus.

On June 7th, Jodi drove from Yreka, CA to Redding, CA on the same gas she had purchased the previous day in Sparks, NV. The trip from Yreka, CA to Redding, CA is 98 miles. If a full tank afforded Jodi 390 miles, and she drove 255 the day prior (from Sparks, NV to Yreka, CA), then Jodi would absolutely have been able to drive the 98 miles from Yreka to Redding without having to add to the tank.

On June 7th, a receipt shows that she purchased $40.00 in gas at 12:28 PM at a Valero in Redding, CA, approximately 30 minutes prior to having returned the rental car. The Budget receipt states that the vehicle was returned with an empty tank, but this might have been a mistake, considering the $40.00 gas purchase just 30 minutes prior. However, if the Budget receipt was correct, and Jodi did return the car with an empty tank, Budget would very likely have added the cost of filling up the tank to Jodi's bill--and perhaps the $40.00 in gas purchased at 12:28 PM in Redding went into the vehicle that followed Jodi from Yreka to Redding, which would have been her ride back to Yreka after dropping off the rental car.

This girl was up to something very dark from the very beginning, of that I'm sure...

Looks like the check says Idaho. Did they take a trip there around that time?

sorry if you have figured it out already. I am just here lurking and reading your great posts

Hello fivecatzzz, we must introduce you to Herdingcats sometime. Only way I'd figure this out (maybe) is to examine the check under a microscope...almost $700.

I am curious what others might see so thanks and welcome aboard.

Pel

Per the receipts, Jodi picked up the rental car in Redding, CA at 8:04 AM on Monday, June 2nd, and she was next documented at McDonald's in Lodi, CA at 7:32 PM on Monday, June 2nd.

It takes only 3 hours to drive from Redding, CA to the McDonald's on I-5 South in Lodi, CA, so what did she do during those "missing" 8.5 hours???

Did she dye her hair? Did she purchase? Did she plan? She called Travis twice in the late afternoon, at 4:03 PM and 5:28 PM, but for the great majority of those 8.5 hours, we have no idea what she was up to...

Also, a receipt is missing above--the receipt for $46.11 from Mesquite, AZ in the wee morning hours on Thursday, June 5th, after the murder.

Jodi drove from Mesa, AZ to Mesquite, NV, by way of the Hoover Dam. This is a 402 mile drive via US-93 North. With three full 5-gallon gas cans in her trunk (from Pasadena), this is totally doable on a vehicle that gets at least 30 mpg for highway driving. (Something to consider, though, is that Jodi likely used the A/C while in the southwest, so didn't achieve optimal gas milage. Still, a 2007 or 2008 Ford Focus is stated to get approximately 34 mpg for highway driving, so a 30 mpg approximation is very fair, even after considering use of A/C.)

Incidentally, the useable gas tank capacity in a 2007 or 2008 Ford Focus is a solid 13 gallons, and at 30 mpg, that afforded Jodi 390 miles per tank.

When Jodi arrived in Mesquite, NV, 7 hours after leaving Mesa, AZ, she filled the tank (per the receipt for $46.11), then drove to West Jordan, UT. That trip is 331 miles, which is totally doable on a full tank of gas in a 2007 or 2008 Ford Focus.

On Friday, June 6th, Jodi left Salt Lake City, UT with a full tank of gas and what appears to have been 3 full 5-gallon gas cans. The thing is, none of the remaining legs of the trip on June 6th between Salt Lake City, UT and Yreka, CA (and ultimately, Redding, CA on June 7th) required more than a full tank of gas. Gas cans full of gas would no longer have been needed, so why would she have filled them up in Salt Lake City? (A contributor to this website suggests that she used the gas in the gas cans to create a bonfire to destroy evidence. I really like this theory, but 15 gallons is a bit excessive for a bonfire, no?)

The trip from Salt Lake City, UT to Winnemucca, NV is 351 miles. Totally doable on a full tank of gas in a 2007 or 2008 Ford Focus. Per the receipt, Jodi filled up the tank in Winnemucca, NV.

The trip from Winnemucca, NV to Sparks, NV is 163 miles. MORE than doable on a tank of gas in a 2007 or 2008 Ford Focus. Per the receipt, Jodi filled up the tank in Sparks, NV.

The trip from Sparks, NV to Yreka, CA (where she had to work that evening) is 255 miles. More than doable on a tank of gas in a 2007 or 2008 Ford Focus.

On June 7th, Jodi drove from Yreka, CA to Redding, CA on the same gas she had purchased the previous day in Sparks, NV. The trip from Yreka, CA to Redding, CA is 98 miles. If a full tank afforded Jodi 390 miles, and she drove 255 the day prior (from Sparks, NV to Yreka, CA), then Jodi would absolutely have been able to drive the 98 miles from Yreka to Redding without having to add to the tank.

On June 7th, a receipt shows that she purchased $40.00 in gas at 12:28 PM at a Valero in Redding, CA, approximately 30 minutes prior to having returned the rental car. The Budget receipt states that the vehicle was returned with an empty tank, but this might have been a mistake, considering the $40.00 gas purchase just 30 minutes prior. However, if the Budget receipt was correct, and Jodi did return the car with an empty tank, Budget would very likely have added the cost of filling up the tank to Jodi's bill--and perhaps the $40.00 in gas purchased at 12:28 PM in Redding went into the vehicle that followed Jodi from Yreka to Redding, which would have been her ride back to Yreka after dropping off the rental car.

This girl was up to something very dark from the very beginning, of that I'm sure...

Welcome to WS and terrific first post!

I believe she testified she went to her brother's house to sleep after picking up the rental car.

Yes, 15 gallons is a bit much for a bonfire but 5 isn't (missing gas can she so desperately tried to hide). Do we know if the cans were empty or not when she arrived back in Yreka and put them in her g-parents outbuilding? I don't recall if LE found them there but I do recall Darryl Brewer stating she never returned them to him.

IcarusAscending...

:welcome:

....and thank you for your first post.

@ Sustained: Your calculations are correct. There is at least 300 miles unaccounted for and several hours. She was ordering at an In N Out in Sparks, NV at 10:43 AM on 6-6. 26 hours later, she is putting gas in the car in Redding, CA. Then a little less than an hour after that she return the car. She was scheduled to turn it in at 9:30 AM. If she was 3-4 hours away on 6-6, why was she unable to tuen the car in on time? What did she do or where did she go in that missing 26 hours?

2) Who uses multiple transactions to fill their car up or fill the car and cans? Most people do it all in one transaction. When did she fill the cans up? None of the transactions seem to support an extra 10-15 gallons of gas being purchased. No where she bought gas was significantly different in price, with the exception of Sparks which was 4.99 a gallon. Everywhere else was within $0.30 of each other. For that savings on 20 gallons, who would want the headache (fumes) of having cans in the car or the worry that they might spill in the rental car?

3) Her times don't add up. She drove from SLC to Sparks (525 miles) in about 6.5 hours. That is an average of 80-81 mph. She drove from Pasadena to Mesa in 7 hours, a trip according to MapQuest that should take almost exactly 6 hours (she would have averaged about 54-55 mph). One would assume that she had traveld from/to Mesa before, so she should not get lost on that portion of the trip. So, that is 1 hour, Pasadena to Mesa, and 26 hours, Sparks to Redding, unaccounted for. Travis was killed between 5-6 PM, 16-17 hours later she shows up in Utah (36 hours later than she lead Burns to believe she would be there. The trip is roughly 11 hours by MapQuest. That is 5-6 hours unaccounted for. She had to sleep at some point, but where did she sleep?

Regarding item #2, I believe that the next thing we will hear is that she filled up all 3 gas cans in Pasadena. She has 3 receipts for that station. 1 is a MC, 2 are cash. The MC purchase I believe would be the 1 to 'top off' fuel in the car, that is:

States Exhibit #237.011, ARCO Pasadena CA, 6/03/08 08:42pm, Fuel 8.301 @ 4.169 gal, Unlead 87 $34.61, Trans fee $0.45, Total $35.06, Debit Acct # 2015

The 2 for cash are:
States Exhibit #237.012, ARCO Pasadena CA, 6/3/08, 20:46:50, Fuel 9.594 @ 4.169 gal $40.00, Initial Pmt $40.00, PrePay Dep $40.00
States Exhibit #237.013, Duplicate ARCO Pasadena CA, Fuel 2.774 @4.169 gal $11.56, PrePay Deposit $20.00, Change $8.44

The 2 cash fuel purchases total 12.328 gallons which will not fit in 2 empty 5 gallon cans, so there must have been a 3rd canin Pasadena, which further proves that gas can #3 was not returned to Walmart.

My guess is the gas cans DB loaned JA were not totally empty, but I can't find any testimony that supports that, if anyone can or knows if DB or JA testified as to if the gas cans were empty or not, please post :)

So filling up those darn gas cans, she paid $40 cash initially, starting filling the cans up, wanted to top them off and spent an additional $20 prepay for 2.774 more gallons to top off one or more of the cans, only needed $11.56 more worth of gas to fill all the cans, and thus got change for $8.44.

Regarding item #2, I believe that the next thing we will hear is that she filled up all 3 gas cans in Pasadena. She has 3 receipts for that station. 1 is a MC, 2 are cash. The MC purchase I believe would be the 1 to 'top off' fuel in the car, that is:

States Exhibit #237.011, ARCO Pasadena CA, 6/03/08 08:42pm, Fuel 8.301 @ 4.169 gal, Unlead 87 $34.61, Trans fee $0.45, Total $35.06, Debit Acct # 2015

The 2 for cash are:
States Exhibit #237.012, ARCO Pasadena CA, 6/3/08, 20:46:50, Fuel 9.594 @ 4.169 gal $40.00, Initial Pmt $40.00, PrePay Dep $40.00
States Exhibit #237.013, Duplicate ARCO Pasadena CA, Fuel 2.774 @4.169 gal $11.56, PrePay Deposit $20.00, Change $8.44

The 2 cash fuel purchases total 12.328 gallons which will not fit in 2 empty 5 gallon cans, so there must have been a 3rd canin Pasadena, which further proves that gas can #3 was not returned to Walmart.

My guess is the gas cans DB loaned JA were not totally empty, but I can't find any testimony that supports that, if anyone can or knows if DB or JA testified as to if the gas cans were empty or not, please post :)

So filling up those darn gas cans, she paid $40 cash initially, starting filling the cans up, wanted to top them off and spent an additional $20 prepay for 2.774 more gallons to top off one or more of the cans, only needed $11.56 more worth of gas to fill all the cans, and thus got change for $8.44.

I think the reason this 3rd can is an issue for her is it goes to premeditation (she purchased it to ensure no fuel purchases would occur between Pasadena and Nevada), a 'smoking gun' of sorts, and it also will ruin her credibility on the stand now that she has lied about it. :banghead: :jail:

Welcome to WS and terrific first post!

I believe she testified she went to her brother's house to sleep after picking up the rental car.

Yes, 15 gallons is a bit much for a bonfire but 5 isn't (missing gas can she so desperately tried to hide). Do we know if the cans were empty or not when she arrived back in Yreka and put them in her g-parents outbuilding? I don't recall if LE found them there but I do recall Darryl Brewer stating she never returned them to him.

Thank you!

Ah, I wasn't aware of the testimony re: having slept at her brother's house on June 2nd. Did her brother live in Redding? Is that where she slept? Or did her brother live elsewhere?

I've been wondering why Jodi traveled only I-5 South for the majority of the trip from Redding to Monterey. According to Google Maps, the efficient route would have been to take I-5 South to I-680 South to US 101 South. Having taken I-5 South to CA-156 West added 30 minutes to Jodi's trip. Not a huge addition, but why do so?

When Jodi lived in Monterey, she surely drove to Yreka several times to visit home, so maybe she knew from experience that I-5 to CA-156 is the best route from Redding to Monterey (even though Google Maps states differently).

Regarding the gas cans, after having filled the three gas cans in SLC, perhaps Jodi used the full 5-gallon can from Wal-Mart for a bonfire (to destroy evidence), and returned to Yreka with Darryl's two cans full of gas, which she simply used in her own vehicle for everyday driving before the two cans were ultimately stored at her grandmother's? That doesn't make sense, though, because she purchased $40.00 in California gas in Redding on 6/7. If she had 10 gallons already in her possession leftover from the purchase in SLC, why not use those on 6/7?

Unless my gas mileage calculations are incorrect in my previous post, I just don't see a need to travel with 15 gallons of backup gas in the trunk for the trip between SLC and Yreka/Redding on 6/6 and 6/7...

Brought this over form thread #65 as it probably belongs here as it relates to the receipts ...

One thing that's always puzzled me is the car mileage on Arias' trip ...

Maybe I'm crazy, but I get ~300 miles less in total than the mileage used when returning the rental car.

1. Redding CA to Lodi CA - 198 miles
2. Lodi CA to Monterey CA - 158 miles
3. Monterey CA to Salinas CA - 18 miles
4. Salinas CA to Pasadena CA - 304 miles
5. Pasadena CA to Mesa AZ - 387 miles
6. Mesa AZ to West Jordan UT via Hoover Dam & Las Vegas - 714 miles
7. West Jordan UT to Winnemucca NV - 362 miles
8. Winnemucca NV to Sparks NV - 163
9. Sparks NV to Redding CA (long way) - 237 miles

For a grand total of 2541 miles .... when Arias returned the rental car, the mileage driven was 2843 miles ( a difference of almost 300 miles).

If I give her a fudge factor of 50 miles for driving around Monterey, Pasadena, and West Jordan UT, that still leaves about 250 miles unaccounted for.

The only logical place I have her using those extra miles would be the leg between Mesa and West Jordan after the killing ... but that's a lot of extra miles.

Is my math wrong ? Or maybe there was some truth to the story Arias told in the voicemail to Travis late on 6/4/08 that she had driven ~100 miles out of the way and was close to New Mexico ? That would mean she was nowhere near the Hoover Dam.

My calculations are 2,685 miles, per the Google Maps link below.

But that still leaves 149 unaccounted miles...

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=R...kvIEo71pHSVDFXDzZ77FgzHw&gl=us&mra=pr&t=m&z=6

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back