Elisa Lam - What Happened?

Why did Elisa die?

• Homicide/crime of opportunity - Murder due to chance encounter with someone on the day she died

Votes: 162 47.4%
  • Homicide/preplanned - Elisa was lured to her death in a scheme planned before the day she died

Votes: 46 13.5%
  • Accidental death - related to an altered mental state: drug induced, psychosis, sleep walking, etc.

Votes: 86 25.1%
  • Suicide - Elisa intended to end her life due to mental issues/other

Votes: 7 2.0%
  • Occult/supernatural/conspiracy - related to occult, supernatural phenomena or gov./other conspiracy

Votes: 5 1.5%
  • Unsure/Do not know

Votes: 36 10.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Snipped...

Your whole post was excellent. This pretty much sums up my feelings about what probably happened to EL, and why.

One of her posts on Tumblr rambles about how she's discovered some way of meeting people involving walking up to them, talking very quickly about random things, immediately walking away, sitting somewhere "with seats that don't face each other" (or something equally nonsensical?), and then she described how this would make the other person want to know you and put them on the defensive in the dynamic. I know I'm getting some details wrong, but I can't find it in her Tumblr right now... but she wasn't kidding around. She was actually trying to communicate something, but it just didn't make any logical sense.

It reminds me a little of the girl you posted about who was approaching strangers and bothering them.

Seems like El's strange behavior was increasing in her last several months through Canada and then California, including her blogs, aimless travelling, talking to strangers, and going out to clubs completely by herself. It kind of makes my blood run cold when I think about the double-meaning of her last post, "'I have arrived in La-La-Land."
there is a song entitled "La La Land" http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/demilovato/lalaland.html

Normally and in general, missing persons don't get much attention. Especially not the age group 14-18 years of age is often just declared as runaways. Admittedly, I stumbled with SK cases sometimes over the problem. You can read about Corll on my website is interested. But ...

1.) in a case involving a foreign national, the authorities of that country are may not as relaxed when their nationals disappear without explanation in another country. That causes political pressure and forces PDs to actually investigate a missing person case. And since most PDs have no resources for missing person cases, cases that have to be investigated got to for example robbery/homicide. Now, with two other countries having an eye on things, LSPD is under pressure and that gived motive to get rid of the pressure.

2.) LA and Orange County have developed some reputation in serial killer cases by working quick and effective, but I am not sure, how much this extends to other kinds of cases. However, those guys, who got themselves some success, came out of robbery/homicide there as well. That makes me think, the political pressure forced LAPD to send some of their best. The question that remains to me is, with what marching orders?

Does Interpol then act as a liaison between countries in general for missing persons? The head of LAPD pretty much said Interpol was why they got involved. Weird thing though Interpol will only help on certain types of cases; not one for missing adults though that I can see. Why is it then with the case...why the special treatment?

Does Interpol then act as a liaison between countries in general for missing persons? The head of LAPD pretty much said Interpol was why they got involved. Weird thing though Interpol will only help on certain types of cases; not one for missing adults though that I can see. Why is it then with the case...why the special treatment?

In most cases, Interpol doesn't act at all. Not as liaison, not otherwise. Interpol works rather as a kind of information hub. Like, one country has a body under strange circumstances and wants to know whether other countries have something similar. Or one country knows, a killer left the own country, but doesn't know where he went.
So, in a missing person case like this, things are bilateral and have nothing to do with Interpol. Anf how much pressure leads to how much extra effort, it depends what country you are from. The Canadians are pretty on it if one of their citizens disappears. The US btw too, you only think they don't care. Try to be German for a while and travel the world. Well, and then there are countries just a step away from officially saying "keep them", like for example Syria ...

Don't have time to find the link right now, but I'm pretty sure LAPD initially became involved in Elisa's disappearance because the RCMP contacted them, not Interpol. IMO, Interpol would have become involved (most likely at the request of LAPD) when she was first classified as a missing person who may have been transported across international boundaries. That's pretty standard in cases where that is a possibility, and probably even moreso because she was from another country.

I just did a quick search on Interpol, and nothing came up for Elisa, but the only search categories are Missing Persons and Wanted. I would imagine her case was at one time in the MP category, and has been deleted from there. There would likely still be Interpol involvement until foul play is ruled out and there are no international connections; plus they would likely continue to keep Canadian authorities apprised of the investigation through sharing of information.

For those so inclined, read all about Interpol at their site:

http://www.interpol.int/

Don't be afraid to go there ... they don't bite (i don't think ;))

No, looks like you were right Conducter. According to this article, it was through Interpol:

http://www.theprovince.com/news/Foul+play+feared+after+Vancouver+woman+disappears/7928717/story.html

Sorry, I was remembering her family contacting RCMP.

Interesting that right from the beginning, LAPD Teague said there was nothing to suspect foul play, and yet the case was getting high priority treatment. Also, he did not want to comment on the state of her hotel room or her personal effects.

This strengthens my suspicion that investigators found a clue in the hotel room or in her phone that led them to believe something untoward was going to happen to her, but not foul play or suicide. Could be something she had written and left in the room or in her phone.

That was what impressed me all along about this case, that investigators have not been inclined to suspect foul play despite later finding her body in the water tank with its lid closed. My deduction is thus accidental death.

My initial thought when the news of her disappeance was first announced, and the LAPD made comments about suspected foul play, was not murder or suicide, but rather kidnapping for ransom, for the sex trade, or other reasons.

I thought it quite strange for a young woman to want to go to work on a farm in Santa Cruz. I searched for Elisa Lam and Santa Cruz and came up with a connection with a Buddhist monastery/retreat that grows organic vegetables and that accepts guests to work on the farm.

Sometimes I still feel there is some kind of connection with this and her death. Maybe they came to the hotel and tried to coerce her to go with them, and she was killed/died in the struggle? It's not really any more far fetched than thinking she went off her nut on prescription drugs and climbed up an exterior fire escape and put herself into a water tank on the roof that she most likely had never known about.

My initial thought when the news of her disappeance was first announced, and the LAPD made comments about suspected foul play, was not murder or suicide, but rather kidnapping for ransom, for the sex trade, or other reasons.

I thought it quite strange for a young woman to want to go to work on a farm in Santa Cruz. I searched for Elisa Lam and Santa Cruz and came up with a connection with a Buddhist monastery/retreat that grows organic vegetables and that accepts guests to work on the farm.

Sometimes I still feel there is some kind of connection with this and her death. Maybe they came to the hotel and tried to coerce her to go with them, and she was killed/died in the struggle? It's not really any more far fetched than thinking she went off her nut on prescription drugs and climbed up an exterior fire escape and put herself into a water tank on the roof that she most likely had never known about.

What's the name of the monastery? Have you researched them at all?

Peter, you wordsmith you ;) ... did you know that the French word l'ermitage means "the hermitage" which means the dwelling place of the hermit?

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/hermitage

Just to throw a bit of doo-doo-doo-doo out there.

But it has also a secondary meaning as "refuge", depending on the context. English isn't the only language changing the meaning of a word by context.

But it has also a secondary meaning as "refuge", depending on the context. English isn't the only language changing the meaning of a word by context.

Not sure what you mean, but nm ... was just putting it out there.

What's the name of the monastery? Have you researched them at all?

I got things a bit mangled from my memories.

It was the James Creek Farm:

"We are a small organic farm(1 out of our 150 acres is farmed), off the grid, at 4000 feet in the Coast Range of central California. We grow mixed vegetables and fruits for the Tassajara Zen Buddhist Monastery and are on the way toward becoming a retreat center. The farm is in a very remote and spectacular location. It's not easy to get to town but cell phones and computers w/wireless work here. No alcohol or tobacco please. Please write or call for more information"

There is another source that said they accept guests.

No I didn't research anymore because her death was announced soon after I came across this.

Tassajara is pretty famous, thanks largely to their series of vegetarian cookbooks that have been published since the 1970s. Not that surprising a place for a young "seeker" type to want to go. (Was Elisa a vegetarian?)

Tassajara is pretty famous, thanks largely to their series of vegetarian cookbooks that have been published since the 1970s. Not that surprising a place for a young "seeker" type to want to go. (Was Elisa a vegetarian?)

Vegetarian is definitively NOT my area of expertise. But well, young people trying to figure out who they are visit all kinds of places and that one wouldn't be the worst. However, I doubt, someone who stays so cool under pressure as her killer, and I still believe it was murder, would search peace there. Which makes the place a side show from my point of view.

Tassajara is a very serious Zen monastery and they do not recruit followers. A friend of mine was trying to practice Zen Budhism and stayed there a few weeks in the late 60's. Very few young people would be interested in their austere way of life. It is very unlikely she had anything to do with the monastery. It is not a cult. From their website:

Following the schedule is not easy. You will need to be honest with yourself and with us about your ability, motivation, and desire to work very hard and your interest in learning new skills through your experience and engagement with Zen practice.

http://www.sfzc.org/

Tassajara is a very serious Zen monastery and they do not recruit followers. A friend of mine was trying to practice Zen Budhism and stayed there a few weeks in the late 60's. Very few young people would be interested in their austere way of life. It is very unlikely she had anything to do with the monastery. It is not a cult. From their website:

Following the schedule is not easy. You will need to be honest with yourself and with us about your ability, motivation, and desire to work very hard and your interest in learning new skills through your experience and engagement with Zen practice.

http://www.sfzc.org/

Wow that's expensive...

So I'm thinking we can cross cult crazed brain numb zombies from the veggie farm off the list of possibles....

Question: did a group go to cecil this weekend?

It was set up to go Saturday but princessofmirth had car problems on Friday. I had a room booked but there was no way I was going by myself. Hoping we can get together next weekend instead. Anyone else in the LA area interested in going to the Cecil? godsdog said he would be interested in going but doesn't get back into town until April. As far as I am aware there wasn't another group going but I could be wrong about that. Hopefully plans work out for next weekend.

Ill send my husband if some of you go. We have a baby and honestly I'm too chicken to do it without my husband or someone I'm close too. However he'd be great going. So let me know and ill let him know. We r in LA obviously. 10 minutes from the Hotel. I'm still so curious as to so many things......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boymom0304