UK - Lauren Pilkington-Smith, 10, beaten to death, Leigh, 7 July 2005

SadieJane

Reaction score
Lauren Pilkington-Smith was beaten to death in a park only 100 yards from her house. Her family reported her missing when she didn't come home from playing with her friends, and they were scouring the neighboorhood looking for her. Her poor grandfather was the one who found her body in the undergrowth.

The police are looking for two boys who seen with her before she disappeared. She's such a cutie-- her family say she was a tomboy who loved playing golf, riding bikes, and soccer. I hope they find the person who did this to her. It would make me so sad if it turned out to be kids. :(

http://www.manchesteronline.co.uk/men/news/s/165/165551_new_police_appeal_on_lauren_murder.html

Thanks for posting this. Even in nice communities there are problems that occur. Poor little darling. Seems like some bullies took her life.
Prayers for the little angel's family, & friends.

That is horrible, my daughter is about the same age... what a brutal death and horrors for her grandfather who found her :(

This is so sad. It said; "They have established that she was playing cricket with friends around Sanderson Street from 4.30pm. She called at her home at regular intervals before leaving at around 8pm. The last known sighting of her was around 8.20pm on Thursday when she was seen with two boys on Sanderson Street. She was reported missing around 10.30pm."

Maybe I'm overprotective, but I have a 9 yr old and I wouldn't dream of letting her be out by her herself to walk home alone at 8 p.m. What went wrong to possibly cause these two boys to become so violent?

kahskye said:
This is so sad. It said; "They have established that she was playing cricket with friends around Sanderson Street from 4.30pm. She called at her home at regular intervals before leaving at around 8pm. The last known sighting of her was around 8.20pm on Thursday when she was seen with two boys on Sanderson Street. She was reported missing around 10.30pm."

Maybe I'm overprotective, but I have a 9 yr old and I wouldn't dream of letting her be out by her herself to walk home alone at 8 p.m. What went wrong to possibly cause these two boys to become so violent?

That statement seems a lttle odd. They let her go off and play by herself, but she had to call home regularly? But they didn't report her missing until 10:30 pm?

mysteriew said:
That statement seems a lttle odd. They let her go off and play by herself, but she had to call home regularly? But they didn't report her missing until 10:30 pm?
Doesn't sound particularly odd to me since it has been implied that this was a nice community. Maybe they were going around the neighborhood and/or making phone calls to locate her. :twocents:

story link

16 December 2005
MURDERED BY THE BOY WHO NEVER GREW UP
Friendless misfit, 18, beat little Lauren with bat 'for no reason'
By Brendon Williams

A YOUTH of 18 who battered 10-year-old Lauren Pilkington-Smith to death was a misfit loner who had no friends of his own age.

Kieron Smith, who was yesterday convicted of Lauren's murder, left school at 13 and spent his days with his dog and cage birds, watching television and playing computer games.

Lauren was beaten with a bat by her 6ft 1in neighbour after they had played cricket on July 7.

Smith denied killing her but DNA tests showed her blood on his trainers.

Police said Smith showed no remorse. Det Chief Insp Donnellan added: "He is a lying, violent human being who has snuffed out the life of a little girl for no reason."

Smith faces a life sentence on January 20.

Thanks for the update, Pook... glad that 'kid' is off the street now.

God Bless Lauren

kahskye said:

I agree kahskye and respond similarily with my 9 year old- but in all fairness it was July and probably still light out and it didn't sound like she was that far from home. It certainly makes us open our eyes and realize that at any given moment in time, our children can be taken away from us by monsters that can be lurking in any area-rich, poor, "safe", unsafe- etc...

Thank God they found this monster but that doesn't help the pain that Lauren's family is going through. It truly angers me that our kids cannot play with unabandoned freedom anymore...what is this world coming to?:furious:

Sad, sad, SAD! This just makes me so sad and angry! Once again, human life means NOTHING to some people!

How horrible. I wonder what in the world possessed that guy to do such a thing. He was to old to be playing with kids her age...and he was a neighbor?
Sounds like a really disturbed guy even before the murder. His attorney will probably pled insanity.

Teenager Kieron Smith was jailed for a minimum of 15 years today for the murder of his 10-year-old neighbour Lauren Pilkington-Smith.
Mr Justice Mackay ruled at Liverpool Crown Court that jobless Smith, 18, who was found guilty of murder last month, should be detained at Her Majesty's Pleasure and not considered for parole until he was 33-years-old.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-374643/Teenage-killer-jailed-15-years.html

England is notorious for low sentences but this is ridiculous. He beat a little girl to death with a baseball bat and got 15 years? WTH?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RayaCo
Back