WV - Sodder Family - 5 children, Christmas eve 1945 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
shadowangel said:
I had a thought and wanted some input...What do you guys think about looking into some type of memorial or plaque to be placed at the site of the billboard? This would take some work, including the assistance of the present landowner or maybe the town. I just think there needs to be something there to remind everyone of the five children who vanished that Christmas Eve 60 years ago...I'm sure there are people there now who no little or nothing about the children.

I'm not talking anything extravagant (thought a small roadside park with boards detailing what is known, and pictures of the kids, etc would be great) but even a small granite monument with an engraved plaque with the children's names and a short synopsis of what happened, just so the kids are never forgotten...
That's a really nice thought. I agree with you, these children need to be remembered.

I e-mailed the governor of WV this evening, making him aware that the 60th anniversary of this tragedy is rapidly approaching.

has anyone heard from MS Horn about how her trip is going down there. also do you have a email address for wv. gov . maybe we can send an email for support on this have a good day all :dance:

on the trail said:
has anyone heard from MS Horn about how her trip is going down there. also do you have a email address for wv. gov . maybe we can send an email for support on this have a good day all :dance:
Governor@wvgov.org. (Joe Manchin III)

Nothing from Ms. Horn, she was to have paid Shadow205 a visit but I believe they didn't connect on plans.

:dance: :clap: :woohoo: Thanks Mysterview for posting on that site.

Stacy Horn has posted some pictures on her website if you want to look.
Stacy, let us know when your program will air. Great job! Been wanting to see the site of the fire for many years.

As many times as I saw the billboard, I was surprised to not really recognize the property. I'm sure it's has changed somewhat since the new owners bought it in 1989. The fence in the first photo (going parallel to the driveway) is the type of fence that once encircled the entire property when I saw it mid-80's. In my mind anyway. I do remember that you couldn't even really see the house when you pulled into the wide driveway off the road, the fence was really high. And the billboard was RIGHT THERE when you pulled off.

Jonathan Bandy told me that the house that burned down was to the right of the existing house.

I just posted the pictures given to me by Sylvia Sodder Paxton.

http://www.echonyc.com/~horn/stacy/

The only other pictures are the ones my producer and I took of the people we interviewed. And I have one of the main street of Fayetteville.

I'm thoroughly exhausted, but it was a great trip. It's a sad story, but I was just so taken with West Virginia and Fayetteville and the people. If only I was rich! I would buy a little place there.

good pictures stacy, i remember it well as a kid , going past with my parents and grandparents . but never stopping to read it. it was one of those things that was never talked about. i am sure someone knows who did it. and like we were told as kids alot of rumors and very little truth. have a good week all :D

Stacy, Just wondering if you learned anything about the missing children and if the family had any ideas as to what happened to them? Did you uncover anything that you can comment on Websleuths since we are all wondering what happened on your trip. Also, the man from 1967-1968-Did you see the picture and what were your thoughts about the writing on the back? I know you are going to do your radio program but we will still like to know some of the things you learned on your trip if you can talk about them. I am kind of disappointed that we haven't heard anything.

:confused:
fox1950 said:
Stacy, Just wondering if you learned anything about the missing children and if the family had any ideas as to what happened to them? Did you uncover anything that you can comment on Websleuths since we are all wondering what happened on your trip. Also, the man from 1967-1968-Did you see the picture and what were your thoughts about the writing on the back? I know you are going to do your radio program but we will still like to know some of the things you learned on your trip if you can talk about them. I am kind of disappointed that we haven't heard anything.
Been watching the board for sometime but just joined Websleuths. Stacy, would you comment for when the program will be on the radio and if there are any interesting aspects of the program that we don't already know about.

Or any new things that we have not discussed on the board already.

I finally talked with my mom about the Sodders. She didn't know any more than has already been said on here, except she remembers that the parents were NOT at home. I told her that reports say the were, but she doesn't remember it that way.

My piece is going to air on NPR’s show All Things Considered on Friday, December 23rd. I don't have an exact time, but the show is between 4 and 6, and it will probably air towards the end of each hour, so between 4:45 and 5:00 or between 5:45 and 6:00.

Here’s the thing. I only get 8 minutes and in 8 minutes, I barely had time to tell the story. So for those of you here, there’s only one new piece of information in my story. But I found out a lot more, we just couldn’t fit it into my piece. I looked into everything, talked to a lot of people, and I believe I can address every angle.

I have a lot to tell you, but I can’t until after the piece airs and until after I talk to the family first. I'm not doing this to torture you, I'm just trying to do the right thing here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member