GUILTY AR - Shirley Chittum, 71, dies of extreme neglect, Bentonville, 3 Dec 2005

There will always be some children that will thrive despite daycare, not because of it.

And then there is always the debate about homeschooling and it's effects. I think we are seeing children acting out in violent ways for a variety of reasons.
Another thing to consider is the increased single parenting these days.
This man was an adult. Was he in daycare as a child?
There just is no excuse for letting another human get in the condition that his mother was in, no matter how he was raised. jmo

Linda7NJ said:
There will always be some children that will thrive despite daycare, not because of it.

Can I ask what your beef is on this? I mean, really, why do you feel the need to down other people's personal family choices? I can see if you have witnessed or experienced this personally, but I still don't think that makes you the all knowing on this subject. I have read articles disputing the "facts" that you listed, but don't really have the time to dig them up at this point. I will dig them up eventually though, because it helps to see all the different research that has been done before forming an opinion on other peoples choices.

Linda7NJ said:
I can somewhat believe that statement. I really don't think that the daycare issue is the problem. I think it's the lack of nuturing parents. IMO a child can thrive in any situation with loving and nuturing caregivers. I say caregivers, since there are now many grandparents and other extended family members raising children now.

CaliMom said:
Can I ask what your beef is on this? I mean, really, why do you feel the need to down other people's personal family choices? I can see if you have witnessed or experienced this personally, but I still don't think that makes you the all knowing on this subject. I have read articles disputing the "facts" that you listed, but don't really have the time to dig them up at this point. I will dig them up eventually though, because it helps to see all the different research that has been done before forming an opinion on other peoples choices.
I have no beef, and I don't feel I put down anyone.

I think we are getting way off topic here. If you or anyone else would like to debate this further may I suggest starting a thread in the appropriate place.

CaliMom said:
Okay, I did that in the Jury Room, titled Daycare Thread. http://websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33917

Well nice, my thread was deleted for some reason, when I was just responding to posts. Is it against the rules to quote a post in a new thread? What's the dealio? I don't think I said anything bad enough to be deleted. Whatever it's really not worth the debate anyway, I know I am doing JUST fine by my wonderful, HAPPY son.

I'm really shocked that this man even called 911. You would think that he would have been embarressed to have them come and see his mother in the shape that she was in. I wonder about that. She only weighed 62 lbs but he got worried when she wouldn't eat. I wonder how much she had been eating before that.

I don't know what was wrong with the mother....health wise...but maybe she had an illness that wasn't curable. If that is the case I can see her telling him to just leave her alone and let her die. That doesn't mean that he had to go along with her wishes though. Her mind couldn't have been working right for her to want to lay there in that condition. She must have been in pain.

This is just a horrible story. The house had to stink and there had to have been flys all over the place. Makes me shudder just thinking about it. I can't imagine allowing my mother to just lay there like that in that mess regardless of what she wanted me to do. How sad.

CaliMom said:
Well nice, my thread was deleted for some reason, when I was just responding to posts. Is it against the rules to quote a post in a new thread? What's the dealio? I don't think I said anything bad enough to be deleted. Whatever it's really not worth the debate anyway, I know I am doing JUST fine by my wonderful, HAPPY son.

AMEN CaliMom. Although we should not have to defend decisions made for our families, there is always someone who "knows" better than anyone else. My son is totally well-adjusted and can count to 31 and knows his ABC's (in correct order) and he is only 2. I have friends whose kids stayed home and while they were loved and cared for, they were not educated to the degree my son has been. Most of these children had serious anxiety issues when they started kindergarten. One in particular had to be removed and she had to try again the next year when the child was 6 to see if he could make it through the day at school. Anyway, kudos to you and it is nice to know there are other moms who share my views and still have wonderful, functional families.

Bobbisangel said:
I'm really shocked that this man even called 911. You would think that he would have been embarressed to have them come and see his mother in the shape that she was in. I wonder about that. She only weighed 62 lbs but he got worried when she wouldn't eat. I wonder how much she had been eating before that.

I don't know what was wrong with the mother....health wise...but maybe she had an illness that wasn't curable. If that is the case I can see her telling him to just leave her alone and let her die. That doesn't mean that he had to go along with her wishes though. Her mind couldn't have been working right for her to want to lay there in that condition. She must have been in pain.

This is just a horrible story. The house had to stink and there had to have been flys all over the place. Makes me shudder just thinking about it. I can't imagine allowing my mother to just lay there like that in that mess regardless of what she wanted me to do. How sad.
My 8 year old daughter weighs 60 pounds! I cannot even comprehend what this idiot was thinking! I'd like to make the entire couch (not just the coushions) aprt of his A$$.

GaGirl said:
AMEN CaliMom. Although we should not have to defend decisions made for our families, there is always someone who "knows" better than anyone else. My son is totally well-adjusted and can count to 31 and knows his ABC's (in correct order) and he is only 2. I have friends whose kids stayed home and while they were loved and cared for, they were not educated to the degree my son has been. Most of these children had serious anxiety issues when they started kindergarten. One in particular had to be removed and she had to try again the next year when the child was 6 to see if he could make it through the day at school. Anyway, kudos to you and it is nice to know there are other moms who share my views and still have wonderful, functional families.
My kids have all been in daycare since they were two months old. All of them are Honor roll students, well adjusted, well behaved. Even if they weren't in daycare, they would still be going to school with social devients. I love them, nurture them, support them, guide them. They are awesome girls, and have never had any behavioral or social problems.

I can't understand how this lasted long enough for the poor woman to waste away to 60-something pounds, to meld into the couch, and no one did anything. I've got to believe that this son of hers has some sort of diminished mental capacity to let this happen. Or a severe "mother knows best" complex....

http://www.todaysthv.com/news/news.aspx?storyid=22488

Murder Charges Filed Against Man in Mother
Authorities have filed a second-degree murder charge against a man whose mother died shortly after she was removed from her home, where she suffered in filthy conditions.

44 year old Paul Chittum was initially arrested for abuse after emergency workers removed his mother from their home on December second. 71 year old Shirley Chittum died the next day.

Prosecutor Robin Green filed the murder charge after waiting for evidence to be collected.

Paul Chittum has been held in the Benton County Jail since his initial arrest.

Since the woman's death, state legislators have questioned the Department of Health and Human Services involvement in the case. The agency was****************snip*********************

Good!

I noticed that the Dept. of Health and Human Services was told he needed help, but just reported about her weight and frailty. I guess they did nothing to arrange some respite care so he wouldn't be responsible for all care.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back